• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ and INFP Relationships

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that's a fair assessment. In my interactions with INTJs, I feel the promise of connection and the sharp intimacy of that, and it's wonderful, but then the detachedness ..... INTJs seem so very far away. In the past, I've likened it to a string on a balloon that seems just out of reach, but if I stretch on tippie-toes, I can find the string and bring the connection back to me. It's like I don't realize that I can do this though. It can feel like the connection is more important to me than them, and that's likely not the reality, but over time, being the one doing the 'stretch up' would feel one-sided. I would feel somewhat forgotten and could see myself presenting as needy for attention.

I do feel a strong connection though, it's the promise of something that could be fulfilling but doesn't seem to materialize (at least the way I am hoping it will).
You need to actually communicate the Fi-internal-values mithril girders, and not do the ordinary INFP "waft everything away from them, except for those INFP internal-values landmines". INTJs love them some authenticity, and depth. In fact, much like the INFP, they feed off of it. :wubbie:

But if you discuss values...it gets tricky. Both the INTJ and INFP are prepared to fight, to kill, to die, for their values: but the INTJ does it in the dispassionate impersonal quest for truth and accuracy, the INFP does it out of personal loyalty: and while both the INFP and INTJ will salute the other's internal consistency, the implacability of each means that if there is significant difference on values...I don't think either one would let it rest "for the sake of the relationship". The INFP might knuckle under for the sake of preserving peace, but would tend to build deep resentment over time: and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an outraged INFP's claws unsheathed.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Agreed!

Goal > Plan People get overly attached to their well laid plans which just adds unnecessary stress when LIFE happens and your plans go to shit. The ability to adapt and change direction as/when needed is a very useful life skill.

And it never occured to you that for some people living without a plan is far more stressful option ?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Remember when you were renovating and you talked about smashing a wall down with your INTJ Dad (I think, sorry if I remember the details incorrectly)? You didn't care how you smashed it down, you just wanted it out of the way, and you picked up the handiest tool to do the job and wham, mission accomplished. A J-type, generally however, will focus on how to get the wall down, will consider all of the details first of that. The consider what process they will use to get there.

In the meantime, you've picked up the sledgehammer and the point is moot. Wall - gone.

That's how I see the difference - you and I don't care about how it gets done, but if we get it done expediently or cleverly, more points for us. You enjoy the process far more than I do, I think, but that doesn't change where your energy comes from. J-types are more about "we have to do this, HOW will we do it". Both styles consider the goal and the process, but one reigns more dominant from the focus perspective So, you did indeed care that the wall was taken down, it was in your loosely laid plans. And if that demolition process had gone badly, you may have just adapted your plan to suit the circumstance and make a new goal. J-s (generally) take more care to ensure the process leads to the desired outcome.

That's kind of how I see it, anyway - what do you think?

Sorry for the thread necro, but egads, that was insightful.

Bonus points, too, for phrasing the question in Te language "what do you *think*" .:wubbie:

Full disclosure: Your new avatar seems mildly contradictory to your username. Wazzup wif dat?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Full disclosure: Your new avatar seems mildly contradictory to your username. Wazzup wif dat?
I have been wondering that since it first appeared, but didn't want to be the one to point it out. I knew if I waited long enough, someone else would.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I have been wondering that since it first appeared, but didn't want to be the one to point it out. I knew if I waited long enough, someone else would.

You are free to add the third INTJ into that club.

It seems that the ESTJ shadow is starting to showing up.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You are free to add the third INTJ into that club.

It seems that the ESTJ shadow is starting to showing up.

<singsong>I know something you don't</singsong>

A clue: look at my avatar.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
<singsong>I know something you don't</singsong>

A clue: look at my avatar.
PB has taken up shooting as a hobby?

I have no clue what your avatar is supposed to be.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had my INTJ boyfriend fill out some of these questions, and these are both of our answers to them. We've been dating for two years, we're in a long distance relationship while we finish up school. I can answer any questions you guys have about us.

INTJ

When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?

Emotional support and unconditional love; the first person I feel like I can truly be myself around.

- How compatible do you think these two types are in general?

Very.

- Why are they attracted to each other?

He's understanding, loving, finds me sexually attractive, and we have similar interests.

- How to they compliment each other?

He's more empathic and emotionally minded and I'm his reasoning robot.

- How well do they understand each other and why?

We understand each other, but I can't explain it.

- What will they be like together raising children?

Don't want to let them be spoiled brats? I'd rather not think about kids.

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?

I'm easily frustrated and am needy. He can sometimes be derpy and not realize that things he's doing or not doing are bothering me.

- What are some of the communication challenges they can have?

We can misunderstand each other and it compounds the problem. He has to step around my landmines of anger, but he's more open than I am and it's easier to talk to him.

- What are the biggest frustrations between these two types?

We both have things we're fairly immobile on, so we won't agree on them.

- How can they take each other for granted?

I would miss having someone so close of a friend to me, and how he supports me no matter how I feel.

INFP

When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?

He's smart and funny and adorable. I can listen to him talk about things he loves for hours, and learn new things each and every day. I love that he trusts me enough that he opens up his vulnerable side for me, and love how much he appreciates me being the person who will help him take care of that sensitive part of himself.

I think passing or workplace contact is probably the least healthy kind of contact for these two types. I think personal and friendly environments let these two types really get along, so long as the INTJ relaxes enough to be himself and the INFP is supportive enough to foster that and listens to what the INTJ feels.

He's everything I want in a partner: he's stubborn in the face of adversity, but is still sensitive enough to be a real person despite whatever happens; he's brilliant and I can have intelligent, deep conversations with him; we're different enough that it feels like we approach a topic from all sides, but we approach in mutually compatible ways and complete each others' understanding of the issue.

The two big ways are emotionally and intellectually.

Intellectually, he approaches things from a more logical and rational perspective. The key to that is that he's intuitive and wants to have an actual discussion about it. He wants to understand the implications of the logic. I approach things from a philosophical perspective and want to play with connections. When I play with connections, it tests his understanding of the logical implications, which lets me test the viability of certain philosophical aspects of an issue. We flip a bit on social issues: he approaches things from a more rational than humanistic position, where I approach social issues by trying to understand things from the person's point of view. I can get him to see things from the emotional side that he couldn't see from his logical perspective.

Emotionally, he has a sensitive and vulnerable side that I help foster, but he's a strong and independent person. He enjoys being sensitive around me and I enjoy him being sensitive and trusting with me. At the same time, unlike past relationships I've had, his neediness (his word, not mine) isn't parasitic. I do the patch-up work that results from him going head-first into life adversities and suppressing his emotions. On the flip side, his independence and grounded, realistic sensibility offsets my idealism that can get out of control and end up backfiring on me (like when I feel horribly guilty for not doing something a way I feel like I should have, and he points out that I did the rational thing rather than the ideal thing).

I feel like we've talked enough that we know the areas of common ground we have. There's places in every issue that we'll have differences, but we can discuss them intelligently and respectfully by starting at the areas we agree on.

We've opened up to each other enough that we know the fleshy, emotional parts of each other. I know his sensitivity to things that bother him, and know what in his past makes him susceptible to those.

- What will they be like together raising children?

Probably a good balance of love and rationality. I agree with him that there should be limits to behavior, and that we should teach our children appropriate behaviors based on logical outcomes rather than external enforcement; children should that rules aren't just rules for the sake of being rules, but are appropriate behaviors to avoid consequences that WILL occur and WILL be unwanted.

He agrees with me that children should be supported and encouraged and that it should be a loving and encouraging environment. We're young and gay though, so other than when I just get in a sappy mood we tend to not plan for children much.

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?

There's a lot of give and take in our relationship, and we're very complementary in a lot of areas. So when we get a bit out of sync, such as both of us being stressed and not being able to help the other through their own moment of stress, we can get a bit strained and have to spend energy sorting it out.

Sometimes he can get very stressed when things don't work like he expects them to or thinks that they should, and getting through to him and helping bring him down from those moments can be tough.

Sometimes he gets so focused on accomplishing something that he doesn't realize how miserable it's making him. Watching himself drive himself into a cycle that takes him to his breaking point can be a little frustrating to watch, but he's been doing extremely well about catching himself doing it and stopping it.

Sometimes I take for granted how dependable he is and how often he's there for me. I get very stressed and anxious when I don't get to talk to him for reasons that I don't expect, and it makes me painfully aware of how much he means to me when we're together. It's not that I don't appreciate it, just that it's not until we're apart that I realize just how much I appreciate him.

Lsjnzy13

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
IDK
I have a pretty good friendship with two INTJs. One is a 'healthy' INTJ and the other 'unhealthy' and suicidal, but our friendships are pretty similar.

When it's working: Usual everyday interactions and group activities. Being IN we make great progress working on projects as we are usually able to come up with the most absurd yet somehow still acceptable ideas.

When it's not working: We can disagree on many habits. For example when we have a project to do together his first step would be to go over the broad idea and decide on a schedule ensuring that the project will be done at least a week before due date. However that makes everything rather inflexible and sometimes he wouldn't change the schedule even when it's obvious that changes need to be made. My approach would be to not decide on a schedule as you never what could change, rather just seize different opportunities as we go. Of course that would also have problems as things can get a bit crazy just before the deadline. So far we haven't been able to balance everything out.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
My longest friendship is with an INTJ and I am an INFP.

We are very similar in value systems and enjoy many of the same interests and pursuits. She enjoys my creativity, artistic expressions, free spirit and ability to communicate. I value her logic, organizational skills, eye for design and beauty, overall competence, quirky sense of humor and intelligence.

We recently had a very large conflict and moved through it well by communicating. Our conflicts usually arise from differences and are handled in opposing manners as well:

She find me messy and emotional. I feel that I am tidy but do not care as much about everything always being in exact places. I find her rigid in controlling emotion and think we both could be more balanced which is why our friendship is helpful in that way.

In a frank discussion I found her judgmental and harsh. She later explained that she was being honest and that when my feelings scare her the reaction she has is fear displayed as anger, which is why she came across as cold. I also realized that I was not forthcoming and keep things to myself and this led to her making conclusions as I had not provided all the facts.

A huge complaint in our relationship is that she feels I withdraw and she would like more day-to-day contact. I don't know about all INFP's but I frequently hear this from friend's (but am more constant in a long-term romantic relationship). However, I have a friend who is an INTJ and in that friendship it is me who initiates contact and seeks more interaction so perhaps this is due to dynamics and not type...

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When we discuss certain topics it could be fun to talk and it goes on and on and on... but the INFP is the one who starts it. I however was the one who initially started talking to the INFP before we got involved.

50% + depending on tolerating insanity

They are pretty, they aren't afraid to challenge me.

- How do they compliment each other?
They have a thing for beauty/vanity, I feed off it. I would say discussing topics is usually the thing that brought us together, they usually have this scepticism about them that I find funny and intrigued by it. I would stay on the subject and expand on it. They would ask questions and I would counter their argument. But I think they play devil's advocate sometimes, which is good and bad, depending on the state that I am in. When I had enough, playing devil's advocate with me is the worst thing they could do.

Sometimes they do get me, but that Fi of theirs, I don't think they understand me at all. Once they have an idea of who I am, or who they think I am in general, they can't undo or see past it. How well do I understand them? I sometimes easily forget that they are people that want good for others, although they rarely portray it in front of me. Maybe over time it just disappeared.

- What are they like together raising children?
N/A I'm afraid of what they will do with children, it almost always felt like they would use the child as a weapon/collateral against me.

Oh boy where do we start.

They have this version of who they think I am, so they just keep going with it and don't bother to ask what I want or think of certain situations. They just stop bothering to ask, for them, that's it, they start making decisions for me and then I am completely pissed off by it. And neither of us talks about our expectations. They use their Fi like a weapon to tell me who I should be, when there is nothing wrong with the way I am. They also complain about how cold, or unaffected I am about situations or whatever is happening in their lives, but I do care I just don't think there is anything I can do about it or give them what they need. I just don't have Fe in me to give them.

Assuming things about me, me telling her my expectations and she outright ignores me and knows what I can and cannot give and just keeps wanting more. Sometimes feels like a blood sucking vampire, except it's all emotions.

This is a difficult one to answer, I sometimes forget that they are kind and very good hosts, especially when I get introduced to new people, they are very good at bridging that gap. They also have a way to research things, very good at social settings, everything is researched to death and then they of course provoke me with what they found to see what I was thinking (playing devil's advocate).

- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?
me, door slam, had enough, don't feel they are worthy of my time any more. I'm more unhappy when I'm with her than without her. She orders me around.

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
Well, I guess this would be the same for most couples

- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
Talk about your expectations and knowing what the other person can and cannot give.

- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
I'll let the experts do the talking, since I couldn't master it.
INTJ Suggestions
  • Your partner does not so much express feeling as allow it to direct what they express and how they assess things. Sometimes discovering just what your partner is feeling will require you to be somewhat more attentive and less dismissive of the natural intuitive understanding you have in this regard. You usually “know” how others feel, but you tend to dismiss such immediate understandings for a reasoned approach which tries to pass the feeling or emotional side by. You need to practice acting directly upon your intuitions in this regard instead of passing them to your naturally pragmatic thinking for processing. By being more spontaneous in this regard you can approach the inner life of others in a way which needs less time and none of the endless roundabout of conversation or argument which often ensues when you try to reason your way past another persons feeling valuations.
  • Extraverted thinking provides your access to the world at large, and mediates your communications with others. While it also shields both them and yourself from the raw effects of your inner perceptions and images, it also tends to modify the way in which you accept information from others, quite often getting in the way of direct communication by demanding real world, hard edged data on or about things which have no such direct relationship to the state of the outside world. Dealing with your INFP partner will not be a problem if you realize this process is unnecessary and that you can action directly through intuitive understandings which you might normally hide from other types.
  • Your partner needs to feel they are important in your life. Unlike other types, where this need can present as a demand for gratification or constant companionship, with your partner it arises as a feeling need which requires acknowledgement of their ideas and emotions. Simply by taking the time to acknowledge these things through your actions and expression will make a great difference to your relationship. Remember, you too need this acknowledgement of your importance to others; many of your actions are performed in the hope that they strike chords in others, so it is worth remembering that the kind of input that empowers you is not a one way street. The golden rule very much applies here. If you can learn to just speak the things you feel, then you will be surprised at the resulting effect it has upon your relationship.
  • Sensation for both you and your partner is fairly simple stuff. It can also be the place where a lot of petty or simplistic argument can come from. The sort of stuff you would have been better off just keeping to yourself. Things here pretty much boil down to the “what I like” and “what I don’t like” department, with a fairly narrow margin of awareness for other’s tastes and differences of opinion. It is a basic area where things need to be sorted early into “yours, mine and ours”. Both of you need to agree to disagree about your dislikes and likes and not interfere or remark upon such things, whilst the shared area needs to be cleared of all disagreement on tastes, looks, personal affects etc. One thing you are both going to have to be clear about is the need for tolerance of each other’s personal ways, habits of dress and any lack of concern for the merely material, as neither of you are likely to be particular in this area.
INFP Suggestions
  • Your strength is more inside you than without, and you are always strongly attuned to the emotions of others, which you often take on board almost as if they were your own, quite often in the belief that you are either the rock which grounds them, or the soaring bird that can lift them into the sky. In many ways this is true, but you must realize that the differences you make in your partner’s life are not always outwardly visible and are rarely mentioned by them. That is their way. Your INTJ partner is commonly matter of fact, even hard and unemotional on the outside and in their dealings with the world, but something of a love sponge underneath, and who can only work at their best when they feel they are both cared about and understood by others. Don’t let their demeanour or apparent lack of concern put you off, as they are “always on” inside, and your input into their life will be appreciated, perhaps not through words, but through an ongoing practical regard which, if measurable, would speak volumes about who is the most important person in their life.
  • Thinking in a purely logical linear way is not your strongest ability, with intuitive ideas figuring more within your dealings with abstract facts and the realities of the outside world. This kind of thinking works for you as it leads you toward those areas of value where certainties of the moment lie. Your partner can miss this entirely, and you will need to recognize that what they see in the moment may not contain those values; that the present moment for them might have no feeling value whatsoever, and that they might regard your enthusiasms with a somewhat jaundiced eye unless they can “think’ their way to understanding them. Make sure you always provide the steps along the path: let your partner know what is working within you and “where you are” in the moment. This is particularly important in another way too, as your INTJ partner seeks resolution and understanding of others at all times. Without input they find themselves overburdened with images arising from their own uncertainties and this can strongly affect their quality of life, work and mood.
  • You have a tendency to align yourself with an image of how things ought to be between yourself and others, sometimes skipping over the realities for the sake of holding onto this ideal. Things don’t often work out this way in day to day life and other people’s ideal images of life will not be necessarily similar to your own. You will need to come to terms with the realization that your INTJ partner’s ideals of life do not normally place other people’s interests or feelings high on the list of importance. Not because they do not care about or value such things, but because the impact of their intuitive/thinking approach to life is extreme, and tends to turn their ideals away from others and towards and inner vision in which all things are either mysteries which need to be understood, problems which need to be solved or strange new paths which need to be followed. To this inner vision, other people often exist only as things which need to be dealt with, sorted into their proper places and allowed to simply be; expected in the main to be responsible for their own needs and to live their own lives. This need is so strong at times that your INTJ partner will be unable to function if they feel you are not able to flow with your own needs. Many INTJs simply cannot be happy in an environment where others are disturbed, unhappy or in constant need of reassurance or care. So more than anything else, be yourself, do your thing and do not expect your partner to live their life through you or your focused interests. They cannot, but they will be happiest when you are doing so.
  • Criticism of the negative or emotional ad-hominem kind is a danger in all relationships with INTJs, who take such remarks as destructive killers of feeling. Fortunately you are a person whose comments will rarely be regarded in this way, but it is worth recognizing when your partner seems down or seems to have become very cold towards the world, that they could either be feeling a strong sense of rejection from another person or group, or worse, rejection within their own mind through a process of self criticism which is extremely destructive in this type. When your partner is down, it will nearly always be due to a feeling of loss through rejection or lack of worth to either themselves or others. The key to unlock this is often simple activity or the input of strongly focused creative ideas which stir them back to reliance upon their own skills. To be given a task by a friend or to be needed by them is worth more than any words of comfort to an INTJ in this situation.
- If you are an INFP, what advice do you have for the INTJs?
N/A
- If you are an INTJ, what advice would you have for the INFPs?
When you're stressed, don't order me around. Don't think for me, include me. Ask me questions who and what I am, never stop doing it, don't assume because I'm "cold" that I have no feelings. Again, ask me. If you're guilty of something then just say it. Take responsibility for your actions! I don't think you're stupid, allow me to explain in my own way, maybe there might be something you haven't heard before, unfortunately you need to listen to the other 99% that you already know. Why get so impatient? Value yourself too and vanity isn't always the answer to your problems. You can pretend all you like but you know I see right through you. So lets just be honest.

gromit

likes this
I'll be honest I have been drawn to them, but they kind of scare me, like they wouldn't be gentle enough. I've had a couple lovely female INTJ friends that have been so wonderful, but they seemed to develop their gentle side sooner in life maybe, and are better at expressing it perhaps.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Results may vary, depending on their corresponding enneagram type and instinctual leanings.
The e19 sharks speak my language, though the e34s can be hella charming. The e54 intj (and e56 to a crazier extent) seem to inhabit alternate dimensions concurrently. There's common nostalgia that can help connect, but true friendship seems largely unobtainable for this infp. As with the intp, ultimately an illusiatory experience.

illyxo

MBTI Type
INFP
Im INFP two of my exes were INTJs. I find INTJs are attracted to INFPs. Both relationships ended not due to personality issues (one was an alcoholic the other I just couldn't love him even though he was a sweet guy).
The similarities both had that I enjoyed was intelligent conversation, being accepted for outrageous ideas, ability to be quiet together, their organization/planning abilities, their intensity of focus, their discipline in daily life...
What I found challenging was their inability to go with the flow and relax especially when going on holidays. I stressed my last INTJ out with my spontaneity and I got bored with having to nut out every activity in detail.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had an INTJ friend some years ago that I used to discuss the types of anime characters with. We had some disagreements, mainly because he advocated the "pure INTJ" stance as he called it, and thought being ruthless was somehow a desirable trait. I tried to make him understand the value of compassion, and of developing your own values about things (tried to make him develop Fi). I think I somehow managed to change him a bit.

Litsnob

Short answer: I know two INFPs and one of them is my son. I adore my son but I also really like him and have a great friendship with him now that he is an adult. I have an INFP female friend who gets on my nerves so much with her woo woo and magical thinking and basically burying her head in the sand while referring to me as a bull in a china shop so that this friendship is definitely cooling.

I like the INFP open-mindedness but if you are too open-minded there is risk of your brain falling out.
I like the drive to be authentic and true to themselves, though if their authentic self is irritating then it's a problem for me.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What do you think about relationships between INFPs and INTJs? The focus of this is really on romantic relationships but it also makes sense to discuss your experience in situations where these two types interact in a significant way – such as friendship, at work, etc.

- What are they like together raising children?

- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
- If you are an INFP, what advice do you have for the INTJs?
- If you are an INTJ, what advice would you have for the INFPs?

"I find romance a chance affair. One can not rush it or ascribe to the listing I am about to share. This listing is according to the Myers Briggs Typology Index of temperament, Character, Intelligence of pairings between the different sub-types. This is via Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence by David Keirsey (an NT but who's style of writing I find refreshing to my metaphorical use of language), 1998.

The Sp 'Artisan' best match up appears to be with the SJ 'Guardian'.

The SJ 'Guardian' best match up, "On average, Guardians seem to mate most successfully with (SP) Artisans..." Keirsey, 1998.

The NF 'Idealist' Soulmate, "The choice of a Rational mate seems to hold the best promise of success for Idealists." Keirsey, 1998.

I am an INFP according to the author, "(INFP) Healers and (ENTJ) Fieldmarshals are likely to find great satisfaction marrying each other. Healers (the reserved and probing (INFP's) have more problems in mating than any other type..." Keirsey, 1998. Speaking from a personal experience my wife was an ENFJ. I found her 'J' (more schedule orientated) compatible with my 'P' open ended go with the flow attitude.
The NT 'Rational:' "Rational-Idealist: marriage to an Idealist is probably the best option for a Rational." Keirsey, 1998. I have found generally I am intrigued by other initiatives whether NF or NT.

Seems like a workable pairing if both people are mature. I think they’d complement one another nicely. As with any couple dynamic, communication of wants and needs would be key.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it could be an interesting pairing when younger but I sort of wonder what happens down the line. If the development of our functions goes the way the theory says then gradually we are all turning into our mothers opposites. So INFP grows into being a glorious cranky ESTJ, and the INTJ dissolves into a wondrous puddle of ESFP body glitter. Feels like two lines diverging right when things are getting good.

Slightly different pairing, but a family friend is an ENFP married to an INTJ. They, sadly, do not have a great marriage. Their last kid just left home and she thought that that might help. Instead they find themselves in such different places. She used to love going out to parties and dancing and music and wanting to drag him along. Now she's content to be home working on her own projects and the occasional party with friends. Meanwhile he legitimately wants to hit the club dance floor and just gogogo. She also has discovered a desire for a safe retirement, after spending frivolously for decades. And he went out and randomly bought a sportscar with money they really don't have.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it could be an interesting pairing when younger but I sort of wonder what happens down the line. If the development of our functions goes the way the theory says then gradually we are all turning into our mothers opposites. So INFP grows into being a glorious cranky ESTJ, and the INTJ dissolves into a wondrous puddle of ESFP body glitter. Feels like two lines diverging right when things are getting good.

Slightly different pairing, but a family friend is an ENFP married to an INTJ. They, sadly, do not have a great marriage. Their last kid just left home and she thought that that might help. Instead they find themselves in such different places. She used to love going out to parties and dancing and music and wanting to drag him along. Now she's content to be home working on her own projects and the occasional party with friends. Meanwhile he legitimately wants to hit the club dance floor and just gogogo. She also has discovered a desire for a safe retirement, after spending frivolously for decades. And he went out and randomly bought a sportscar with money they really don't have.

thank you, thought as much.