INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @OrangeAppled, @chubber --
    How much do you think that's an NF thing and how much a 4 thing? I'm 5w4 and I find I can muster very little energy or enthusiasm for mowing the grass or changing the cat's litter box.
    Mundane *numerical* tasks such as bills or recording payments, investments, and the like, I do *to relax*. Or grocery shopping, which takes creativity and optimization.
    Any insights from the NF side of the fence?
    It is not a matter of enthusiasm, but the manner in which one actually accomplishes things. TJs seem to work in a more linear manner. Between NP and FP tendencies, INFPs will work in bursts of energy and may expend much energy to find shortcuts to reuse (appearing to initially waste time exploring possible shortcuts).

I also do not always see the logic in many tasks. If it takes me just as long to file a paper and thumbs through files when I need it as it does to toss it on top of a pile in a desk drawer, then why bother with buying file folders and labelling them, etc? That is my idea of pragmaticism. Certain kinds of organizing take more energy than they save.

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Thing is, @OrangeAppled is romanticising the "play" Ne/Ni which is untrue, it is literally disagreements. That could be stemming from her Fi fantasising it. So I'm just out to stop it, it's selling the untrue Fairytale Disney dream. (INTJ selling doom and gloom again?) I would like to think I'm being realistic. The play between Ne/Ni is fun'ish, but the INFP's Ne is their Auxiliary and it will not be the same as the ENFP's Ne-Dom that can put up with much longer of Ni. Eventually the INTJ will have to use Te and then the INFP will ... well die inside. They will make everything personal and think it is their fault, when the INTJ is merely discussing objectively, which allows to make tough decisions easier.
    I have never in any way, shape or form suggested there is "fun play" between NJs and NPs. On the contrary, my post addressed conflicts.
    I have never been a proponent of the INFP-INTJ match.
    I assure you, there is no fantasy nor romanticizing of INTJs and especially not Ni mentality. I do not find the typical INTJ personality attractive, the description of one is not close to my ideal, and an INTJ has never had a role in any of my fantasies.

It seems a fantasy of yours to be an INFP fantasy.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It is not a matter of enthusiasm, but the manner in which one actually accomplishes things. TJs seem to work in a more linear manner. Between NP and FP tendencies, INFPs will work in bursts of energy and may expend much energy to find shortcuts to reuse (appearing to initially waste time exploring possible shortcuts).

I also do not always see the logic in many tasks. If it takes me just as long to file a paper and thumbs through files when I need it as it does to toss it on top of a pile in a desk drawer, then why bother with buying file folders and labelling them, etc? That is my idea of pragmaticism. Certain kinds of organizing take more energy than they save.
    That's true, usually; until the "black swan" event when you need *that* piece of paper from seven years ago...

but: as for the rest: you'd make a good programmer -- yes, I know your IRL job is aught to do with Web design or similar. Reflecting on other code jocks I have known...'tis a good trait to have.

I have never in any way, shape or form suggested there is "fun play" between NJs and NPs. On the contrary, my post addressed conflicts.
    I assure you, there is no fantasy nor romanticizing of INTJs and especially not Ni mentality. I do not find the typical INTJ personality attractive, the description of one is not close to my ideal, and an INTJ has never had a role in any of my fantasies.

Someone mentioned once that the INTJ / INFP relationship takes awhile to get off the ground, as both participants are quite passive. I must confess, though, this is the first time I've seen an internet flamewar between two parties proceed in slow motion.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Now that's odd. I go shopping too, but my ...is it my Fi? No, it's my sx kicks in, and I buy too much of something new. (But that's OK, I stockpile and use; except for fresh vegetables, which are cheap, I rarely need to throw something out.) And if it works, I incorporate it into my world. See also baleen whale, ingesting vast quantities and keeping the tasty plankton...
    I'm going to try and keep it in MBTI terms, so I would translate that sx into the INTJ which becomes depressed and turns into the ESFP (shadow), who seeks deep connections, over doing it, without Fi correcting Se, only using Fi to feed Se instead.

While I can comprehend this -- the "categorizing by felt intensity along related *emotional* axes...and then the mis-filing corrupts the memory itself, because 'well, that's how it _affected_ me' " --
    I think it would drive my analytical memory clinically insane: like Sheldon in that episode of Big Bang Theory where Amy tries to correct his OCD but deliberately leaving things undone...
    it is annoying, because you have to go through the whole process of explaining and as soon as you start, they get bored and annoyed, rolling their eyes, which will only leave you more frustrated.

Huh. Filing for reference, revisiting memories of past interactions, furiously scribbling notes. Te is kind of a buzzkill to warm fuzzies, isn't it?
    Te is cold, compared to Fe that is warm. Fi doesn't know what to do with our Te, neither does Te know what to do with Fi. We can fake Fe for a short while, (Fe 7th function, aka Trickster), but that will only come back to bite us, since the wrath of the Fi-Dom will now be engaged to take on/counter our tiny Fe attempt. Only going to lead to burn out (IxTJ), pretty soon.

Only experience I've had was chasing Ne around like...well, I've said it too often already. But after a time, Ni wants it some Te for a change of pace; and I surmise, that the INFP wants some Fi to recharge. And yes, those could be at cross-purposes, unless the two ...combatants? each retire to their separate corners...
    Yes, Ni will seek out Ne and try to clobber it, that's where all the fun is. Heated arguments++
    But since their Ne is Aux, their going to get "tired" pretty soon and retire somewhere, if they haven't made everything, personally, yet. INTJs will let NFPs get away with that NFJs will never let them get away with. and They know it, that's why they don't have "time" for them.

My time here didn't overlap with @Zarathustra much, but I think I remember in visiting some long-mummified threads, that he was romantically entwined with an INFP once upon time. Apologies if such is too personal or taboo to mention on this site, for reasons of old politics which I wasn't around for...
    I don't know, we could ask @HorseAppled's opinion.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Hey, INTJs can be girls, too, y'know.

Actually, that reminds me. I've been meaning to start a thread about T women dating F men. (And what a frustrating mess it can be.)
    If you do start that thread please tag me. I personally have only been with female feelers in relationships and was once upon a time quite intrigued by the possibility of a female T + male F combo and what that might be like, anecdotally at least.

@OP Not all INFP's are coy about initiating. I'm a social dom for instance, maybe it's also or partially related to gender roles as well, i.e. that men chase.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So I'm really a guy after all? Cool. Can I be a few inches taller, too?
    Don't forget about the whole going to the 'restroom' while standing up.

This alone will literally save you a few weeks of 'time' during your lifetime. 1 minute saved per 'visit', 5 visits per day x 365 days per year x 65 years (assuming 68 year life span and first 3 years in diapers) divided by 60 minutes per hour, divided by 24 hours per day = 82.378472 days to be exact. (I didn't factor for leap years)

Hmmm, what would you do with 83 days... hmmm... *wanders off*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Anyhow, Fi is a judging function, remember, and it's dominant for INFPs. We can be quite judgmental, even if we do show an easygoing Ne face to the world.

In addition, male INFPs like me often develop even more than their natural amount of stubbornness to put on a macho air, since society expects something more like an ESTJ personality in males.
    ^ This x2.

@OP I recall a female INTJ busting a 'move' on me a few years back (she invited me to eat Thanksgiving dinner with her and a friend family) so not all of them are all timid and stuff.

MBTI
    GONE
    Enneagram
    5/6
    Socionics
    Idk None

I am an INTJ raised by both INFP parents, and I have to say that as I've gotten a little older I'm starting to see what wonderful parents they have been. Not saying all INFP's are the same, but these two I love a lot, and yes, they irritate me sometimes (but I'm convinced I am lacking of a completely objective view into our type compatibility because they are my parents), but we overall work it out.

I have a female INFP friend, and we do piss each other off...a lot. I don't know exactly what she thinks about me, but I for one refuse to let a grudge to mar a friendship that I really value. her opinions and insights into various things are very compelling. We have good chemistry as friends, but also need to back up and give each other space.
    Likes Patrick liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    As an INFP, I'd say it's just that when you say something "about A and B in context 1," we hear only "something said in context 1." And when you say something "about C and D in context 2," we only hear "something said in context 2." Furthermore, our memory of the context is mainly of our emotional experience; so no matter what the circumstances were or what was actually said, we only remember that you were being nice or mean or picky or reassuring or whatever. Hence, context 1 and context 2 might look the same to us, though they look different to you. By the time we get to context 3, that's probably just a vague impression of how you've been in the past, how you're being now, and how we feel. As to what you actually said--well, words are slippery anyway; each one has a range of possible meaning, so it's best not to take A, B, C, or D too literally.

I would guess it's very different for xSTJs. They may do the opposite: When you say something "about A and B in context 1," they hear only A and B; and when you say something "about C and D in context 2," they only hear C and D. What was said is what was said and shouldn't be connected to context at all; so it's fair to talk about "A and D in context 3" or any other irrelevant context.
    I disagree with this explanation of Fi and memory, and frankly, I find the constant characterizing of Fi as "emotional" categorizing downright lazy (by many posters). An Introverted Feeling types focused on determining the contextual worth of something using an internal gauge (a framework for value concepts built/refined over their lifetime) which very much includes reasoning. If contextual worth is the focus, then that is what will be remembered - thing pertaining to the significance and meaning, etc, of a situation. Emotions are only signals. Rudimentary Fi may stop there, and that is what gets projected onto Fi types by those who have a less differentiated form of it.

People will remember whatever aspect of reality they tend to focus on. If you do not focus on something enough to note it to begin with, then you cannot remember it. The idea that a Ni-dom would remember factual details better is hilarious, then. That is not a mindset focused on concrete facts unless we are talking mistyped ISTJs. Van Der Hoop pretty much notes that Ni-dom tend to see what they want to see, which shows inferior Se (blocking out aspects of reality that do not align with their internally sourced insights; hence, making them quite disconnected from factual reality, as the Se-dom is the true realist). Te is not about noting facts...it is the arrangement of them logically to reach some end goal. The typical NTJ, IMO, is not highly observant of "facts" in day to day life.

I agree that Ne creates links between the contexts so that worth is no longer isolated to the immediate context, as parallels between it and other contexts are noted, creating a "big picture". This is where people (INFP or not) start saying stuff like "always" and "never" in arguments, when they mean to say there is a pattern of something negative. This is because everyone will note patterns to some degree, but Ne types are more focused on it, and NFPs to ones in human relations.

The conflict will between noting/remembering isolated and specific behaviors and their direct consequences vs the emerging pattern and the larger meaning they give to the big picture (ie what it says about the dynamic between the people in the relationship). The last is obviously much more abstract and harder to back with so-called "facts", but it is not impossible to do so. Again, I'd expect this to be worse with an ISTJ, but maybe their actual recollection of facts instead of imagined insights makes them easier to deal with.

I think as INFPs age, healthier Si can help in connecting dots between the Fi evaluations (ie conclusions about what something means) and Ne pattern detecting (how it connects to something else and reveals another, larger meaning).

As noted, being pressed to explain such things to Ni-doms who often think people should just take their word for it (like they're God) is annoying to say the least.

@chubber All of your posts amount to you whining about your girlfriend and describing the most mundane, generic problems that have ever occured between a man and woman in a romantic relationship. This has nothing to do with type dynamics. Also - I am not your girlfriend, nor have I ever been any INTJ's girlfriend, so take the vitrol somewhere else. You're following my posts now like you desperately want my attention, and altering my screen name with something not clever enough to even register as an insult is especially passive-aggressive. That stops now, understand?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Patrick, GreatBigCranberries liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I disagree with this explanation of Fi and memory, and frankly, I find the constant characterizing of Fi as "emotional" categorizing downright lazy (by many posters). An Introverted Feeling types focused on determining the contextual worth of something using an internal gauge (a framework for value concepts built/refined over their lifetime) which very much includes reasoning. If contextual worth is the focus, then that is what will be remembered - thing pertaining to the significance and meaning, etc, of a situation. Emotions are only signals. Rudimentary Fi may stop there, and that is what gets projected onto Fi types by those who have a less differentiated form of it.

People will remember whatever aspect of reality they tend to focus on. If you do not focus on something enough to note it to begin with, then you cannot remember it. The idea that a Ni-dom would remember factual details better is hilarious, then. That is not a mindset focused on concrete facts unless we are talking mistyped ISTJs. Van Der Hoop pretty much notes that Ni-dom tend to see what they want to see, which shows inferior Se (blocking out aspects of reality that do not align with their internally sourced insights; hence, making them quite disconnected from factual reality, as the Se-dom is the true realist). Te is not about noting facts...it is the arrangement of them logically to reach some end goal. The typical NTJ, IMO, is not highly observant of "facts" in day to day life.

I agree that Ne creates links between the contexts so that worth is no longer isolated to the immediate context, as parallels between it and other contexts are noted, creating a "big picture". This is where people (INFP or not) start saying stuff like "always" and "never" in arguments, when they mean to say there is a pattern of something negative. This is because everyone will note patterns to some degree, but Ne types are more focused on it, and NFPs to ones in human relations.

The conflict will between noting/remembering isolated and specific behaviors and their direct consequences vs the emerging pattern and the larger meaning they give to the big picture (ie what it says about the dynamic between the people in the relationship). The last is obviously much more abstract and harder to back with so-called "facts", but it is not impossible to do so. Again, I'd expect this to be worse with an ISTJ, but maybe their actual recollection of facts instead of imagined insights makes them easier to deal with.

I think as INFPs age, healthier Si can help in connecting dots between the Fi evaluations (ie conclusions about what something means) and Ne pattern detecting (how it connects to something else and reveals another, larger meaning).

As noted, being pressed to explain such things to Ni-doms who often think people should just take their word for it (like they're God) is annoying to say the least.

@chubber All of your posts amount to you whining about your girlfriend and describing the most mundane, generic problems that have ever occured between a man and woman in a romantic relationship. This has nothing to do with type dynamics. Also - I am not your girlfriend, nor have I ever been any INTJ's girlfriend, so take the vitrol somewhere else. You're following my posts now like you desperately want my attention, and altering my screen name with something not clever enough to even register as an insult is especially passive-aggressive. That stops now, understand?
    Those sentences in bold were of particular value. Courteous thanks tendered; despite the risk of offense merely by being one of the Annoying Legion of Doom(TM), and yet presuming to exist within the same forum (let alone post).

Only one minor nitpick, and that in defense of the INTJ Armoured Regiment. You had written:

If you do not focus on something enough to note it to begin with, then you cannot remember it. The idea that a Ni-dom would remember factual details better is hilarious, then.

*If* those details have been delivered in written form, the INTJ will snarf them up like a computer reading native assembler code. If you mean tactile, sensory, social, details, then, sadly, you are right; the idea of an Ni-dom picking up on significance there is hilarious to the point of farce. (Facepalm over 9,000.)
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes chubber liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :newwink:
  • :wink: