• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ and INFP Relationships

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think about relationships between INFPs and INFJs? The focus of this is really on romantic relationships but it also makes sense to discuss your experience in situations where these two types interact in a significant way – such as friendship, at work, etc.

When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?
- How compatible do you think these two types are in general?
- Why are they attracted to each other?
- How to they compliment each other?
- How well do they understand each other and why?
- What are they like together raising children?

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?
- What are some of the communication challenges they can have?
- What are the biggest frustrations between these two types?
- How can they take each other for granted?
- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
- If you are an INFP, what advice do you have for the INFJs?
- If you are an INFJ, what advice would you have for the INFPs?

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Subscribed and bookmarked. Will have a good think about this before replying!

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is based on my experience with INFP SO. We've been together for 6 years. He's 9(w1?) and I'm 4w5. I'll try to keep every answer short so as to avoid rambling walls of text, but please feel free to ask for more clarifications.

When it’s working – What are the joys and positive aspects of these relationships?
- How compatible do you think these two types are in general?
I think they can be very compatible, as long as they share compatible values and life goals. Both types have strongly-held beliefs which tie directly into their perception of the self, so any change to those will be difficult, especially with the inherent difference in communication between the two types, which tend to need a lot of adjusting on both parties. However, I think that being idealists, both types will already share somewhat similar values in the beginning, making it easier.

- Why are they attracted to each other?
Both types are acutely aware of and fully respect each other's inner space. The INF inner realm is sacred to the owner, and both types realize and appreciate this fact. When they find each other sometimes it can feel like finding a secure sanctuary of 'us' against the rest of the busy, complicated world, that neither truly understands and is comfortable in.

- How to they complement each other?
To put it simply, the J can give the P a bit of a direction, and the P teaches the J to slow down and enjoy the journey. This is a bit unnatural for both parties, but success in doing so will open up a richer, more fulfilling world for both. A lot of communication is needed though and communication must be open and honest.

- How well do they understand each other and why?
This is a strange one. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again here: as an INFJ, looking at an INFP is like looking in my mirror image. There's that comforting sense of similarity, but when you look closely everything is the total opposite, so the other party ends up being both familiar and foreign at the same time. INFPs and INFJs often arrive at the same conclusion, through different ways, and as long as they can both look at the destination and not the method, they will find it easier to settle arguments.

- What are they like together raising children?
No idea on this one!

When it’s not working – What are the challenges when two people of this type are in a relationship?
- What are some of the communication challenges they can have?
Fi seems to have a thing about maintaining autonomy, while Fe seeks teamwork. This can prove to be a big challenge in communication. For Fi, the Fe give-and-take approach usually feels manipulative and obtrusive, and for Fe, the Fi everyone-is-free approach usually feels selfish and uncommitted. The funny thing is that both parties usually want the same thing, but the way they go about it is completely different. The worst thing is, the other party's approach will often seem completely wrong to you, even if the outcome is the same, so you can both get stuck in arguing about 'why your thinking is so messed up', which can get very ugly and will only escalate conflicts.

- What are the biggest frustrations between these two types?
Forgetting how different your approaches are and forgetting to tune your communication accordingly. Then you end up fighting over the smallest, silliest things, and when it goes down to the minute interpretation of everything, it will get really messy.

One thing I will share is that since your thought processes are so different, you will never actually be 'right' or 'wrong' about anything. It might be a good idea to realize this from the beginning. All you can do is realize that something is hurtful to the other party and respect that, even when you don't understand why. Then you learn not to hurt each other's feelings.

- How can they take each other for granted?
I don't think they have the tendency to take each other for granted, because feelings are of great value, and both types can sense that something is wrong almost immediately. As long as you keep open communication and discuss feelings immediately and don't hold secret grudges, things will be all right.

- What happens with things “go wrong” between these two types?
Both types can be extremely stubborn. They both need to hold true to their values as this is a great part of their identity. So when you start to go down the 'who is right/wrong' route, things will only get worse. There is no right and wrong. You're operating in completely different modes of judgment, so you can never arrive at that. If neither sees it and tries to put the right/wrong value to any conflict, it can blow up way out of proportions and bring out all your differences. Then the foreign internal landscape that you glimpse in the other person will scare you and shake your trust, and you feel that there's this uncrossable abyss between you and you give up.

Advice for couples – What recommendations do you have?
- What things should each type do to facilitate better communication?
Both types: try never to lash out. Both of you are susceptible to bad atmosphere and extremely touchy about word choice and tone of voice. Come up with 'safe' sessions where you agree to discuss things calmly, try not to take things personally, lay no blame and assume no intentions, and, of course, agree to not judge.

Again, establish that no one is ever wrong in any argument. Apologize for hurting each other's feelings, learn and move on.

- What advice do you have for each of the two types?
INFJ: give your INFP a lot of space. Don't try to fix everything (most of the time there's nothing wrong -- especially when the INFP is moody -- just let them be. It's not your fault and you can't fix it)

INFP: ask directly for things you want (in a tactful manner -- usually when it comes to this the INFP has already built up so much grudge and it comes out in full Te mode, which the INFJ does not take very well)

The most important starting point:
I read somewhere about the pitfalls of these two types that "the other's viewpoint/approach will always seem inferior to yours". This is the WRONG way to go about it. If you ever feel this, the relationship falls apart. Trust. Your INFX's inner world is as beautiful and pristine as yours. Respect it. Appreciate it. There are wonderful, refreshing things to see from their point of view.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a personal level, it works really well between me and my sister. Our discussions are the absolute best about philosophy, aesthetics, meaning, compassion, etc. We agree on every principle, but tend to organize thoughts differently.

This pairing can work really well, but I think it requires a longer time to build trust because there is possibility for misunderstanding. From close and more distant Fi-dom friends, I have sometimes felt wrongfully judged, and in my impression it is because the Fi-Si inner world has a certainty about experience and ideals that can tend to project these onto current scenarios. That loop can pre-judge and project, and when given to imagination, can come up with some ideas that diverge far from reality.

It is true that Ni can diverge from reality, but the Ni-Ti loop tends to do it in a very impersonal manner, more akin to true "insanity". If I lose it to stress pressure, I'm not going to imagine my sister into being something she isn't, but I might become afraid that the aliens really are going to invade earth. :eek:P My depression and negative assumptions tend to be very global, even when experienced in a personal context. For example, in my current relationship when I feel hurt and fear, I don't make any assumptions about my partner's character, but instead fall into this global depression about the limits of humanity's ability for love and trust, etc. I think a Fi-Si loop can misunderstand these globally dark ideas as personal and individual.

I tend to feel like making a negative personal assumption about motives is the most painful thing, so when personally loved INFPs have done that to me, it knocks the wind out of me, especially because I know they are the kindness people on earth. It leaves me in a really dark place because I don't think the motives are bad, but even the best motives can't stop acts of pain.

When there is enough time and trust, this misunderstanding and personal judgment/projection can be quelled. There can't be any jealousy on the part of either, or there is zero hope of a painless interaction. Jealousy is the Achilles Heel of INF interaction.

seradane

MBTI Type
INFJ
My ex was an INFP. (I thought I was for ages, but turns out I'm not.) Dating an INFP felt like looking into a mirror. We were very very similar in a lot of ways. Communication was rarely an issue, it felt like we understood each other implicitly. Happy to sit and home and just be. Similar interests, similar habits, similar everything.

The downsides: We also had the same weaknesses. What I was bad at, he was worse. Both of us were poor at making friends, getting out of the house, doing things. I grew frustrated with his lack of direction and constant dreaming of ideal futures that he would never even attempt to achieve. I am not particularly great at those things, but instead of improving me, he worsened them.

I am generally a fairly positive, easygoing and daydreamy sort of person, but in reaction to his extremes, I turned negative (nagging, criticising), uptight, overly concerned with the practical implications of his ideas and wished he was more sensible. He avoided. I got confrontational.

I couldn't relax and be me, because he would take those things and drag me too far down that path into areas that I was no longer comfortable with.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My ex was an INFP. (I thought I was for ages, but turns out I'm not.) Dating an INFP felt like looking into a mirror. We were very very similar in a lot of ways. Communication was rarely an issue, it felt like we understood each other implicitly. Happy to sit and home and just be. Similar interests, similar habits, similar everything.

The downsides: We also had the same weaknesses. What I was bad at, he was worse. Both of us were poor at making friends, getting out of the house, doing things. I grew frustrated with his lack of direction and constant dreaming of ideal futures that he would never even attempt to achieve. I am not particularly great at those things, but instead of improving me, he worsened them.

I am generally a fairly positive, easygoing and daydreamy sort of person, but in reaction to his extremes, I turned negative (nagging, criticising), uptight, overly concerned with the practical implications of his ideas and wished he was more sensible. He avoided. I got confrontational.

I couldn't relax and be me, because he would take those things and drag me too far down that path into areas that I was no longer comfortable with.
I'm sorry it didn't work out. I can totally relate to what you're saying here. Thanks for sharing!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1 on the need for similar (or more accurately, complementary) goals and values. This is absolutely necessary for already stated reasons. In my various interactions (some romantic) with INFJs it has always come down to this and don't expect much different.

The thing that pulls me to them though is that intellectual discussion can function as a sort of pre-foreplay; and when things light off... I'm amazed it never scares me. I can be me, and she thinks it's hot - what more can I ask for? It's just those values and goals - I can adjust for anything else for that kind of soul blending immolation.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is true that Ni can diverge from reality, but the Ni-Ti loop tends to do it in a very impersonal manner, more akin to true "insanity". If I lose it to stress pressure, I'm not going to imagine my sister into being something she isn't, but I might become afraid that the aliens really are going to invade earth. :eek:P My depression and negative assumptions tend to be very global, even when experienced in a personal context. For example, in my current relationship when I feel hurt and fear, I don't make any assumptions about my partner's character, but instead fall into this global depression about the limits of humanity's ability for love and trust, etc. I think a Fi-Si loop can misunderstand these globally dark ideas as personal and individual.

I completely agree with some of the points in this post (and others in this thread).

There's something I feel compelled to add, though- I think NiFe is just as likely to err on a personal level when it comes to the difference in how we part from 'shared reality'. I have had INFJs read some very strange things between the lines of what I say, and make petty accusations about me personally that absolutely stun me. There have been a couple of times when it was someone I considered a friend, and it hurts when someone I feel really ought to know me better accuses me of something I would never do- inserting really bizarre *magic messages* between the lines of what I say, without having a clue they are the ones that inserted it. And it's like they can't take responsibility for the hurt they are causing because they are so focused on the hurt incurred by the thing their imagination* inserted into what I did or said, on the disrespect I 'supposedly' dished out first. In the end, it says more about them than it says about me- but it's still really emotionally jarring when someone we've invested a lot of experience in can't give us credit for who we are because of their own issues, regardless of whether it's FiNe or NiFe doing it.

(It seemed to me like it would be a good idea for an INFJ to show up and say this- that FiNe doesn't superimpose their own emotional junk directly onto other individuals more than NiFe- since there's already so much INFP/INFJ bad juju online.)

*["Imagination" is perhaps a condescending way to describe it- (eta) the hurt they feel is real, however mistaken about the actual cause of that hurt they may be. I suspect this kind of thing happens either from projection or from residual childhood messages.]