• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Tying Tritype into Instinctual Variant

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This isn't that serious, just a fun thing to consider.

I was thinking about my tritype, which is 614, and about how I used to type as 4 sp but now type as 6 sx. It made me realize that my instinctual variant (sx/so/sp) goes in the same order as my tritype in that I type as 6 sx, if I were to make 1 my core type it would be 1 so, and if I were to make 4 my core type it would be 4 sp. Which means my instinctual variant accurately reflects the order of my tritype (6 sx, 1 so, 4 sp), if we assume that this is a thing that's possible.

SX-6 - The counterphobic, turning against fear. Strength. Bulldog. More barking than biting, fierce looking. NN for intimidation. Best defense is an attack. These are the mad men who go against danger. Naranjo told a fable about a guy who bought a gun to shoot birds that were invading his house (? something like that), then accidentally shoots his guardian angel.

SO-1 - Unadaptable. Rigid, school teacher mentality. "I'm going to tell you how it is." Aristocratic. My way is right; others must adapt to me. Tendency to adhere to a particular way of doing things, like a scholar who is such in every sense of the word, but hangs on to a bad accent and grammar from his or her home country and refuses to adapt to new environment. The model. The one that already knows and doesn't need to learn from others. NN for superiority. Make others wrong to have power over them.

SP-4 - Loves suffering. Person who's learned to swallow a lot. Has learned to endure pain without wincing. "see how much I don't complain, don't ask for things - can you love me now??" Passion/NN is to endure - makes a career of enduring. Trains self in pain, like Lawrence of Arabia putting out the match with his fingers, able to endure the desert even the Arabs couldn't. Masochism.

Socionics - the16types.info - Claudio Naranjo's Lectures on Instincts and Variants

Do anyone else's instinctual variant order and tritype order work out in this way?

[MENTION=29143]Thirteenly[/MENTION], I remember you talking about something like this a while ago, so I'm mentioning you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never really thought much about it, and we're kinda just building on conjecture here -- it's creative but might or might not necessarily reflect into a theory derived comprehensively from real life. However, it might still be useful.

I'm some combination of 549.

I strongly identify with your SP-4 line. Damn: "SP-4 - Loves suffering. Person who's learned to swallow a lot. Has learned to endure pain without wincing. "see how much I don't complain, don't ask for things - can you love me now??" Passion/NN is to endure - makes a career of enduring. Trains self in pain, like Lawrence of Arabia putting out the match with his fingers, able to endure the desert even the Arabs couldn't. Masochism. "

That is totally me. I had an SO and friends pick on me when I was in college, when I said something very similar during winter once -- "You can endure any amount of cold if you embrace it and just let the wind blow through you." But even very consciously a lot of my life has been about the ability to endure pain and suffering without flinching and acting as if I do not feel it. I chalk some of this up to my childhood, dealing with some unstable and kind of frightening parenting, and I learned to show no fear and be utterly independent. But it's also almost like a point of pride for me. And I am kind of asking for people to love me for being so brave, although I would never mention it or ask. (although I guess I did just mention it. ;) )

I don't really identify as much with HIS descriptions of the remainder (which are SX, SO, expressed through either 5 or 9).

SX-5 - Not easy to see the difference at first. But if you engage them in conversation long enough, you'll find they are passionate about the one person (usually someone they can't find). Search for absolute love and it's too hard for others to pass the test. Very easily disappointed. Looking to trust in another - the one that will be with you and for you no matter what, beyond the level of marriage vows. Romantic. The non-5 among 5s, though not completely apparent until you touch the spot. Example is Chopin - he was described as like an oyster with powdered sugar inside. He was aristocratic & stiff, and open only to a few people in his life. But his feeling life was expressed through music.

SO-5 - More out there, totem. Need for super ideals. Relates to ideas, not people. Like Midas - wants everything he touches to be gold. Looking for super value, the elixir of meaning. Image oriented. So obsessed with idea loses engagement in life. NEED for extraordinary. Polarity between extraordinary-ness and meaninglessness. Everything is meaningless unless ultimate meaning is found. Need for ultimate instead of what is there.

SX-9 - Union/fusion/symbiosis/confluence. Needs to be through another. Fuses with one other. Use relationship to feed your being because you don't stand on your own 2 feet - stands through the other. Suspicious tenderness. Nobodies, not living with passion. Too dispassionate. "Nowhere Man". Not noticable - wallflower. Erased from family picture. "She eats but no one has seen her chew." Betrays own needs.

SO-9 - Jolly good fellow. Light hearted, merry. Passion of participation, to feel a part of. Doesn't feel a part of to begin with, feels doesn't have what it takes to fit. Very mindful of group "other"; they fuse with the group. Good leader, unselfish, sacrificial. Passion of paying for ticket to group admission. Workaholic. Believes not to show pain or weigh others down with own woes.

Typically I experience my 5 as more SX, though, in a different way -- intimacy and merging with another to me is very much about sharing secrets, it's all channeled through knowledge where knowledge is the ultimate knowing. I merge with you by knowing everything about you and by telling you everything about me, and vice versa. my ideal person will know me inside and out, including all the inner stuff that I don't always voice... my longings, my fears, my desires, my hopes, all the inner light and dark that makes me me. I want to crawl inside my love's head and have them crawl inside mine. (Sorry if that sounds creepy, lol.) But it's really "intimate knowledge" and secret-sharing, no holds barred. I actually find and experience intimacy in general through the sharing/exchange of secrets. When someone tells me something no one else knows, I feel very special and honored and close to them. I treasure it, it's like gold and riches to me, and I feel myself connect to them. Merging comes through understanding.

Likewise, the SO-9 thing isn't quite as "light hearted" in terms of shallow. But I basically can get along in general with anyone if they are not constantly being grating, and even then I usually can find a way to connect. I typically do not have workplace feuds, for example, and I usually enter the other person's manner of speaking to connect, avoid the controversial stuff, keep things stable and calm and fun. I'm really aware of how I can be read; it's only in recent years where I decided actively to not care, be willing to make waves, and just be more "me" versus "me chameleoning others." I generally keep my crap to myself in the social sense because I don't want to seem dramatic or infringe on another's territory, it's about honoring their space; but I have no qualms using my woes as a way to connect to another woes if they bring it up first one on one (although that's more SX-5 secret sharing). But I usually do not feel like I belong anyway; I usually feel kind of the outsider and uncomfortable, so this is one reason why I listen and try to keep things fun and stable... I am creating a role for myself. I also typically end up doing the "work" stuff to maintain the group, because I feel uncomfortable just 'being' part of the group sometimes. It's like I don't know how I am supposed to act and/or feel I will be ignored or rejected, so I "do" things to provide a useful service. Anyway, Out of the 9's, I definitely relate most to SO-9 as written.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I agree. I usually identify best with, in order, SO-6 and SP-3
SO-6 - Cold, prussian character. A little like 3 in efficiency. Duty is utmost - but that doesn't mean they actually do their duty, but that they are concerned about it all the time - NN to have those points of reference. Disconnected from intuition. Can be very precise and intolerance of ambiguity.
SP-3 - Has the vanity of having no vanity. So determined to be good, to be how a person should be (good housewife, good father, good worker, good monk, etc) and that implies vanity. Difficult to recognize SP 3 as a 3. NN is to be good. Security - autonomy - taking care of one self. Do for self 1st. The kind of person that you go to for advice.
SX-9 - Union/fusion/symbiosis/confluence. Needs to be through another. Fuses with one other. Use relationship to feed your being because you don't stand on your own 2 feet - stands through the other. Suspicious tenderness. Nobodies, not living with passion. Too dispassionate. "Nowhere Man". Not noticable - wallflower. Erased from family picture. "She eats but no one has seen her chew." Betrays own needs.

I actually prefer other descriptions of social Sixes, I'm not as duteous as portrayed, while I definitely fear uncertainty and have troubles with authorities. The last description made me scream "it's me":

On the other hand, I definitely agree with the SP-3 description. Describes the reason I struggled in finding my heart fix at first. And even the SX-9 could be, I've been in that mode. A bit codependent.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This isn't that serious, just a fun thing to consider.

I was thinking about my tritype, which is 614, and about how I used to type as 4 sp but now type as 6 sx. It made me realize that my instinctual variant (sx/so/sp) goes in the same order as my tritype in that I type as 6 sx, if I were to make 1 my core type it would be 1 so, and if I were to make 4 my core type it would be 4 sp. Which means my instinctual variant accurately reflects the order of my tritype (6 sx, 1 so, 4 sp), if we assume that this is a thing that's possible.

Socionics - the16types.info - Claudio Naranjo's Lectures on Instincts and Variants

Do anyone else's instinctual variant order and tritype order work out in this way?

[MENTION=29143]Thirteenly[/MENTION], I remember you talking about something like this a while ago, so I'm mentioning you.

Hmmmm. I totally forget what I said, but I'll agree. It's basically like layers -- layer cake, let's pretend. Damn, I want some cake right now.. but yeah, it's like, each type is like the first "part" of you, how you think, I'd say. And the wings are like the filling of how you think. This probably makes no sense.

I'm going to use your enneatype as an example. So, like, the top layer is 6, the second layer is 1, and the bottom layer is 4.

Neokortex

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a smart sub.

For me it's going the other way around, for some reason.

At core I'm an So/Sp 4. Or some would say it's my main "fix." But it's not as much visible in my behavior. I don't really let myself seen sad, perhaps the w3 flamboyance thing. But then it's either a more Sp 6 or an Sx w7. Sx/Sp 1 appears not as much often since I don't have so much people close, the reason which may be that I'm too competitive with strangers, more prone to criticize them. Overall, though, when talking with people, it's obvious that I'm not "normal." Even though, deep inside I want to be part of the social, find social recognition as a 4w3, on the surface my So blind spot is keenly visible (Sp 6 fears blocking it). So it's:
4 < 6 <1
so< sp< sx

I might've gotten the wrong order of my tritype, although I believe it's mostly right. Like a layer-cake: the one that you'd hide the most as a strategy you couldn't bring to success, is the deepest layer, as a motivation on which you build other ways, other strategies to get that very thing.