• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinctual Subtypes Chart

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
imo, it put too much emphasis on the 1-1 aspect of Sx instinct (which I associate more with Social last than Sx dom. Sp/Sx is generally more 1-1 than Sx/So) and not enough emphasis on the obsession, addiction, broadcasting and visceral drive.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This would make me sx over all. The sx sounds too much like 4 in general. The sp sounds more like 3-6-9 sp types.

EDIT: The brief one-liners for each type is nice though. It still puts me pretty between sp & sx though. The only part that makes me more sp is the energy section. Probably because sp 4 is kind of "counter sp".

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, I'm surprised at how bland and general this seems after reading the (specific to type) instinct descriptions in Beatrice Chestnut's The Complete Enneagram. The differences are made so much more distinct, which allowed me to firmly settle on my auxiliary and blind-spot (which were not what I had expected). My Mom, who tends to be skeptical of anything that is negative, even found her Sp 2 description freakishly true. She said it covered the exact issues she came to terms with in therapy after my parents divorce. I do think there's some good basic info here, but I'd highly recommend the aforementioned book.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, I'm surprised at how bland and general this seems after reading the (specific to type) instinct descriptions in Beatrice Chestnut's The Complete Enneagram. The differences are made so much more distinct, which allowed me to firmly settle on my auxiliary and blind-spot (which were not what I had expected). My Mom, who tends to be skeptical of anything that is negative, even found her Sp 2 description freakishly true. She said it covered the exact issues she came to terms with in therapy after my parents divorce. I do think there's some good basic info here, but I'd highly recommend the aforementioned book.

Of course the detailed books are better but it's a one pager.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION]
imo, it put too much emphasis on the 1-1 aspect of Sx instinct (which I associate more with Social last than Sx dom. Sp/Sx is generally more 1-1 than Sx/So) and not enough emphasis on the obsession, addiction, broadcasting and visceral drive.
I currently type as sx/soc, though, and I relate to the 1-to-1. Anyway I don't do large masses or work rooms, that's for sure.

Actually, if you get anything beyond the obsession part of the last sentence, my mind starts flashing the "not me" sign.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@highlander

I am not sure I get this specific qualm about it, since "obsession, addiction, broadcasting and visceral drive" actually require the one-on-one "arousal/laser-like focus" component of sx. I don't see the issue with referring to it as 'one-on-one.' Not to mention sx often has this way of narrowing your whole world down into this one thing, or this one person, almost as if the rest of the universe doesn't exist. In addition, when sx doms might interact with someone in a group, they get so focused and absorbed while talking to a specific individual, that it might seem like they are "ignoring the group," i.e., yet again, the focus is one-on-one.

And I don't personally have an issue with equating sx dominance to seeking relationships and having strong insecurities tied to that, since that has been true of literally every sx dom I have come across. Sure "relationships are important to everyone," but not everyone basically becomes all about finding the other half. SX doms tend to do that. A lot. Basically, they get so immersed and obsessed with SX needs, that it isn't just one of the things that is important to them, as it might be to most others, it IS them.

I read the chart again, I think her descriptions are really good and she does a good job of differentiating between the types. Not much room for confusion there, at least.