User Tag List

123 Last

Default So-last folks over the age of 25

How do you feel about these things?

- Civic events/actions like elections and voting
    - Holidays and festivals (whatever is commonly celebrated in your part of the world)
    - Other community or social norms, rituals and events that have struck you as not being amazingly vapid

Have you had any positive experiences or feelings about any of these things? What have they been like? Why do you think you enjoyed them?

I'm mostly looking for responses from so-last people over the age of 25 because I feel that a.) the personality is pretty solid by then and b.) because they should have outgrown the teens and early twenties brand of self-absorption but young 'uns, you can respond, too, if you want.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

How do you feel about these things?

I'm interested in politics, but since I know my vote per se won't change an election, I don't place much significance in the act. I don't get to abstain though, as voting is mandatory where I live.

On local elections, I'll sometimes copy my brothers' votes, as they are well connected and tend to know reliable candidates with a fighting chance.

- Holidays and festivals (whatever is commonly celebrated in your part of the world)

- Other community or social norms, rituals and events that have struck you as not being amazingly vapid
    They usually suck, but I tend to make a few concessions to make people I care about happy. I don't like the idea of birthday parties, which I stated in a controversial thread that I made years ago.

LadyLazarus

Excluded due to the age card once again.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    Excluded due to the age card once again.
    Hey, I said you could respond if you wanted!

LadyLazarus

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Hey, I said you could respond if you wanted!
    I think people are starting to notice I don't actually read anything but the title.

Here goes:

I feel like they are an exercise in futility and I care not for them, I feel like it doesn't really matter who wins, it'll be pretty much the same result in the end anyway.Overall, if it doesn't directly affect me, I don't care at all.

I enjoy Holidays if I am able to celebrate them with my close circle of immediate family, anything bigger than that and I am out. I detest large gatherings like festivals overall.

Hmm...marriage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I was actually really excited the first time I got to vote. In 2008, I was still 17 so I had my mom let me vote for her in the primaries, and my dad gave me his vote for the main election.

Holidays I don't care much about but they're positive if I have good people and good food around. I don't mind festivals either because I love people watching. So I'm not really a participant but I can have a good time.

/23 and fuck yo rules

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

1. Yes, I do follow politics, but I'm more interested in local than national politics, since I believe the former have a direct impact on my life.

2. I like holidays because I don't see my family and long-time friends that much anymore, thus it's an occasion to stay with them, eat good food, have nice conversations, have fun overall. Obviously I love festivals, the joyous atmosphere, drinking, etc. what's not to like?

3. I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I don't attend mass since a long time. I like carnival and if I feel like it, I dress up.

I used to like holidays and festivals a lot less when I was younger, but since I now have to work a whole lot, they are indeed required to have fun and let loose once in a while.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think it's BS. I think it mainly serves to cause division among people & to distract them & make them feel like they did something (without doing anything really).

Commercial, materialistic, meaningless. I like some actual spiritual rituals or personal/family traditions, but not big, national holidays. I'm okay with the party stuff (ie. eating & drinking, dressing up), but prefer to call it what it is & do it when you want to (obligation can suck all the fun out). I can be affected by the mood of these things, as I enjoy atmosphere & things being "special" with a buzz of increased activity in the air. But it's more of an aesthetic experience to me than a bonding one.

I find it easier to grasp what stuff means for others now, and am not eager to devalue it. But very little of it really affects me. Being easy-going, I will show to stuff I'm invited to, and as I said above, I can enjoy some aspects, but it doesn't MEAN much to me.

As a teen, I scorned & avoided pretty much all school functions - pep rallies, prom, games. I walked for my HS & college graduations for my family. I only allowed them to give me a HS grad party. I'm way more easy-going now. Since I don't care, it's not worth resisting.

- Have you had any positive experiences or feelings about any of these things? What have they been like? Why do you think you enjoyed them?
    I've never had a strong need to be a part of something bigger than myself. I've wanted to maintain autonomy &/or merge with another individual, preferably romantically.

I do various volunteer work with an organized religious group now, but when younger I had little drive to participate in such things. I admit my main motivations initially were to broaden my social sphere to perhaps find a like-minded romantic partner & to DO something selfless related to my beliefs/values & for my emotional/spiritual well-being (that sounds a contradiction; it's not). I still don't feel a part of the group I work with, but an individual agent working with them.

I do enjoy feeling less isolated & having more of a social life because I'm connected to something organized (never experienced that in school or at work either; always a lone wolf or with one kindred spirit I'd glom onto). But it still has this impersonal feeling to me so that I don't find it satisfies any core need. It's not an end in itself, but a way to open up avenues to other ends.

When I was a kid, my extended family would have big dinners periodically & there would be gift-giving, just because. We'd also go apple-picking once a year & take a trip up the coast, which was fun. I like these family traditions, even as they were repetitive. It was more specific to our family & had meaning for us. I did feel a "part" of things too.... Yet, I don't really miss it or crave it even as I have fond memories.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned

Don't care about any of it. I would rather live in anarchy.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by badger055 View Post
    Don't care about any of it. I would rather live in anarchy.
    So move to Afghanistan.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz