• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Do SX doms get bored if their relationship is too peaceful?

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't mean this in a nasty way -- I've always liked you -- but...

Don't you find that to be rather cowardly?

It is clearly due to inferior Fi.

Allright, but what am I suppsed to do? Start enjoying heated arguments in a relationship? I've had them in the past and it simply doesn't work, they destroy my feelings and make me resent the person. It's a trait that can create big problems for me in a LTR. A non-heated discussion is totally okay.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
but when you CARE about stuff you wave your arms around & a passionate tone enters the voice. Arguing in an animated manner (arguing is NOT the same as "fighting") is "normal". I

Ah, sure, that's totally normal. When I think about "fighting", I think about shouting very loudly and insulting each other.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Allright, but what am I suppsed to do? Start enjoying heated arguments in a relationship? I've had them in the past and it simply doesn't work, they destroy my feelings and make me resent the person. It's a trait that can create big problems for me in a LTR. A non-heated discussion is totally okay.

Hmm...

Good question...

I'm not gunna say you have to start liking them, nor start looking for them...

What I would say is that you should try not to run away just because they do arise.

The FPs could probably give some better advice, but I would try just being in the moment with those feelings.

Experience them, experience what they feel like, communicate with your partner, don't just shy away from them.

I mean, maybe you have a phenomenal way of dealing with conflict, so this is completely and totally unnecessary.

But there's something about the way you put things that seemed highly avoidant and suppressive.

And I don't think just running away from these moments is necessarily the best response.

Sorry, I know that prolly wasn't the most helpful response, but I suppress Fi too.

As I said, a caring FP might be able to offer a more helpful answer.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...

Good question...

What I would say is that you should try not to run away just because they do arise.

The FPs could probably give some better advice, but I would try just being in the moment with those feelings.

Experience them, experience what they feel like, communicate with your partner, don't just shy away from them.

I mean, maybe you have a phenomenal way of dealing with conflict, so this is completely and totally unnecessary.

But there's something about the way you put things that seemed highly avoidant and suppressive.

And I don't think just running away from these moments is necessarily the best response.

Sorry, I know that prolly wasn't the most helpful response, but I suppress Fi too.

i'm sure other FPs can add to this, but i think my personal approach when heated things come up is to let the emotions happen, then try to get to the bottom of why in as calm and open of a way as possible. there's always a reason behind a flareup of feelings and it's often an issue that needs to be attended to.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, sure, that's totally normal. When I think about "fighting", I think about shouting very loudly and insulting each other.

Perhaps we're on the same page & it's a matter of terminology then.

As I speculate below, are you more comfortable with this kind of interaction when it's family?

Hmm...

Good question...

:yes:

Going by his above quote, I wonder if this is a trust matter.

He noted he's most sensitive to heated conflict with non-family.
It's pretty normal to need a certain level of trust with someone to be vulnerable enough to handle with conflict with them.
Having too high a bar for who you will trust can be a way to avoid vulnerability, such as the possibility of being "wrong" (a common Te-dom sensitivity). It's always easier to be "wrong" with someone you know cares for you & would not use it against you.

It's also a matter of recognizing how & when conflicts create/strengthen a bond vs weakening it. You have to be vulnerable for it to create or strengthen the bond. I'm thinking of, say, welding where the metal has to be heated so it softens a bit & can be joined with another piece, then it cools & they harden into one.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sx-dom, but I like a "healthy" argument. It might be cultural, as my mom's side is Latin in origin, but when you CARE about stuff you wave your arms around & a passionate tone enters the voice. Arguing in an animated manner (arguing is NOT the same as "fighting") is "normal". I think it bonds us as a family, because we can operate on that level & know we still have each other's back in any situation where we need to be a united front. You also really learn someone's real feelings & inner workings in these moments. Nothing is taboo. There can be something kind of shallow about not ever arguing.

I've never had jealousy issues or that kind of drama in relationships, but not being able to rant or disagree passionately would be a problem. Attraction seems to require a kind of "tension" at times & I guess creating some healthy tension here & there can maintain attraction.

Yeah culture's got to be a part of it. A Norwegian SX would probably seem like a Colombian SP.

B

brainheart

Yeah culture's got to be a part of it. A Norwegian SX would probably seem like a Colombian SP.

A good point. I've got an Italian/Irish combo while my husband is English/German. When he met my family he was stunned. He said, "Your family is always yelling at each other and fighting." I was confused. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "That's called having a conversation. Meanwhile, your family doesn't even talk." (My interpretation of never raising your voice.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
A good point. I've got an Italian/Irish combo while my husband is English/German. When he met my family he was stunned. He said, "Your family is always yelling at each other and fighting."

Okay, then perhaps I may interpret fighting as something else that's meant in this thread. Anger in a relationship = throwing dishes, calling names, neighbors calling the police, etc.
Anything else (lower in emotional content) is just a "discussion".

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Very interesting thread. :) Not sx-dom, but like several have already noted, I see a lot of relevance in the cultural upbringing which then impacts peoples' relationship styles, what they view as 'norm', tons of conditioning that occurs that' can be challenging to reverse / overcome in light of being in a totally different context.

I came from a family that essentially didn't talk, lots of repression, uber 'proper', no heated discussions, nothing at all resembling raised voices in any heated/prolonged sense (any 'heatedness' came out as brief snippy commentary, pretty rarely, rather than really working through things). Northern european culture meets sp-dom meets ISJ. As a result, thanks to my upbringing (lol), I tend to get highly anxious / view any type of conflict as a Fight / a very bad thing. Which, of course, it isn't, it's actually an aspect of an intimate relationship (and I wouldn't describe my family/ cultural history as 'intimate', hence I've had to figure it out on my own). I'm learning; but, fwiw, I have an aversion to the type of relationship my parents have. I want a lot, lot more intimacy and bonding, even if it's outside my comfort zone at times due to how I was raised/dynamics I was exposed to beginning at a very young age. But, 'comfort zone' in this context is not fulfilling for me, it's stagnant.

Starry

Okay, then perhaps I may interpret fighting as something else that's meant in this thread. Anger in a relationship = throwing dishes, calling names, neighbors calling the police, etc.
Anything else (lower in emotional content) is just a "discussion".

This occurred to me later as well... I paused and thought "I think FDG is from the old country"... um I just want to say now that my sister and I were debating something...and I might have said "shit" one time but not directed at her haha.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
"Discussion" (with no negative emotional content) in my home region:

I can have "discussions" like these once a day with my girlfriend. Now "Fight":

This is something that would likely end a relationship imho.

Just to check if we're all on the same wavelenght :D

Starry

"Discussion" (with no negative emotional content) in my home region:

I can have "discussions" like these once a day with my girlfriend. Now "Fight":

This is something that would likely end a relationship imho.

Just to check if we're all on the same wavelenght :D

oh god yes FDG haha my sister and I were only having a "discussion." I was thinking of it and one time when I was scheduled to fly out of Rome but had lost my plane ticket...the customer service rep at the airlines ticket counter yelled at me far worse than anything my sister and I did during our argument haha.

That first video :cry: there really *is* a place where I belong...

B

brainheart

[MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION], if you can still hold a wine glass without spilling it, it's a discussion. If your wine splashes out because you're moving your arms too violently, it's an argument. If you're throwing the wine in the person's face, then breaking the glass on the table and threatening to cut them with it, it's a fight.

So when I said fight, I didn't mean fight. I meant argue.

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], the first video... that was a mellow chat in my opinion.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
[MENTION=857]FDG[/MENTION], if you can still hold a wine glass without spilling it, it's a discussion. If your wine splashes out because you're moving your arms too violently, it's an argument. If you're throwing the wine in the person's face, then breaking the glass on the table and threatening to cut them with it, it's a fight.

Okay, lol, everything's clear now.

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION], the first video... that was a mellow chat in my opinion.

Well, I very much agree... and yet at the same time you must understand how brainwashed and confused I am having been raised (primarily) in an area that is still so seeped in its Scandinavian heritage/influence.

One of my best friends from childhood...a Pisan from Chicago but now living here/in my area... just the other day he said to me "do you notice how no one looks you in the eye here...?" <-And it's so true...and yes, to me it's so weird...but at the same time this has been my understanding of *normal* for...too long really...((FDG...clear out a back bedroom for me I'm moving in.)) I do think...based on the society of where I currently live...my sister and I were in a fight. Based on the understanding of people that have a pulse...a discussion.

edit: irritating...why does everything post twice? I posted...edited...and then deleted the edited post from the duplicates on accident...and then needed to re-edit. Fun.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
#1 easily. I'm one of those boring SX last people.

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
My life already has a lot of passion... and although I'd need it every now and then, love is about overcoming disagreements; caring about the person enough "to take the good with the bad"... forgiving their mistakes, being there for them when they can't even stand themselves. Sure, I could stir things up for fun-time (I'm pretty harmless at the end of the day)... but I'd never do anything that would ultimately be destructive to the relationship if I'd committed and were invested.

Before my first relationship, I'd probably get bored if there wasn't enough passion. I used to have little 'AIM fights' with an ENTP during high school. He and others were part of our group, and he'd use to conveniently take random messages of mine and post them to his AIM profile to poke fun at me. So, it became sort of like a (friendly) mini-war... in which I'd post our complete conversations to my Xanga to return the favor, and our friends would follow us, haha. He and I had challenged one another to a (physical) spar at the beach and we'd built it up so much for whomever was on my Xanga that a lot of people showed up, lol. (My ESTP dad made me rather tough.) I had seen my ESTP ex around (the ENTP was our mutual friend), but I'd never really talked with him (except for when he'd randomly asked me for some food, lol, so charming...) until that beach 'fight'. He had the advantage of already knowing my humor (it was the only blog I'd ever had). After that... it was all playful, passionate... and even aggressive between us. At the moment... I'm trying to see who could "get" me without too much added help; nonetheless, finding passion within the most mundane of activities is one of the most beautiful things of all.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) Be in a relationship where you NEVER fought, barely even argued, and things were happy but pretty much the same from day to day? Basically zero drama. Good sex.
Maybe.

2) Have a classic romance novel/soap opera type relationship where you were both extremely wild about each other, but sometimes have loud, angry fights, drama and an element of instability? Something exactly like from The Notebook.. Say, it's 90% ecstacy but 10% drama. GREAT sex.
Yes. I don't even understand why the fights and drama would even be a problem (in theory), especially if the overall relationship is 90% ecstatic. (Hell, if all my students got 90% on their exams, I'd feel like a god.) "90%" is an absurdly high ecstasy rate.

How on earth do you have a longtime relationship and not have things you disagree about so strongly that you don't argue? You know, I say this, but I know a sp/so couple and they are like how you say and they both seem to be happy about it. My husband and I are kind of amazed by them. We both agree that it's cool for them, but it's definitely not what we want. It seems reeeallllyyyy boring.

Like [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] says, I'm glad my kids see their parents fight. I'm glad that they see us openly express our disagreements, because then they also see us dealing with it/ resolving our issues and making things better because of it. It's an incredibly important life skill to learn, that people can still love each other but get angry and strongly disagree about things at the same time. My parents were like this too and I am super grateful. As my mom said to me, "You may hate that person for a few hours and want to change the locks on the house so they can't ever come back in, but you don't run away. You deal with it and make it better."
I think this is great. I was raised by 9s, and no one ever argued. EVER. Sometimes my 4-fixed mom would throw a passive-aggressive snit-fit that was too subtle for me to detect, but outright argument, disagreement, or conflict was NEVER expressed.

If I tried to stir something up, I was generally punished, derided, and accused of starting "drama" rather than acknowledged as bringing legitimate grievances to the table. As a consequence, I've sort of got this absurd feeling that if I so much as snap at someone, I'm going to instantly face ramifications, be rejected, put down, made fun of, etc. I'm not great at resolving my problems either--I tend to throw a ridiculous tantrum, or 99% of the time, storm away and solve absolutely nothing and expect the other person to get "the message" somehow. I certainly don't expect anyone to work with me or forgive me. It's pathetic. I can't even imagine having lived in a household where normal feelings were allowed--You mean other families...fight??? Just one more thing I was deprived of, I guess.

Thanks for shedding light on an area I had no idea existed. It helps me understand more about why I mistyped for so long.

^^I'm so glad you said this...
My parents have been married for decades in a "cockburn 2" relationship. And I can remember so vividly as a child having one of those *omfg my parents are so embarrassing and weird and abnormal compared to every other couple I encounter in my neighborhood, the community, my friends parents, couples on primetime television...* and gathering the confidence to directly question my mother about it.

And she said to me... "Watch, young Starry, as the years go by... These couples that seem so loving and agreeable... I promise you that long after most of those relationships and marriages have fallen-apart and ended... your father and I will still be going strong." And I'll be damned... she was right.
My parents are both becoming old and ill. They're miserable without realizing it (my mom thinks she's happy, stepdad keeps playing martyr about "getting through life so that he can be reunited with Jesus", which he won't be, because of the psychological atrocities he wrought upon me), and their lives are loveless, empty, and pointless. Losers, just drifting pointlessly through life, unattached to themselves or anything else. They're the ones your mom warned you about. The marriage hasn't fallen apart, but their bonds more or less have. As my sister observes, "We were like 4 unrelated people with nothing in common living together in the same house."

It won't happen to me.

Last edited:

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
I need passion but I need him to be on my side.