• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts all of the instinctual sub types?

MWill

I'm a 4w5 and don't get the instinctual subtypes. They all seem to describe me in this category. If it's instinctual, wouldn't they all just coincide?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have all of them, true. But there is one that you're likely obsessively keeping track of (not necessarily good at, but just...really feel the need to consciously work on and be aware of), one that you're good at without worrying too much about it (this is often the one that you're most capable in due to your ego not being invested that much) and one that you sort of neglect in favour of the other two coz you could care less and occasionally is a great source of shame due to things going wrong there. You still have access to all three, and ideally, you see them as the legs of a 3 legged chair, and try to balance them out to cover all aspects of your life, but just like in MBTI, you'll still have your preferences.

MWill

Thanks for the insight. I agree, I think I shift around the instinctual types depending on my mood or most likely, my recent experiences and reactions.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have all of them, true. But there is one that you're likely obsessively keeping track of (not necessarily good at, but just...really feel the need to consciously work on and be aware of), one that you're good at without worrying too much about it (this is often the one that you're most capable in due to your ego not being invested that much) and one that you sort of neglect in favour of the other two coz you could care less and occasionally is a great source of shame due to things going wrong there. You still have access to all three, and ideally, you see them as the legs of a 3 legged chair, and try to balance them out to cover all aspects of your life, but just like in MBTI, you'll still have your preferences.

Hm, this would make me sx first & sp second, but I think I'm clearly sp-dom. Why is the second one you supposedly have a handle on?

Or maybe so much 4ish issues seem sx-like that I'm just confusing the two.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hm, this would make me sx first & sp second, but I think I'm clearly sp-dom. Why is the second one you supposedly have a handle on?

You can be great at the first one too, its just that that one ties in with your ego, and its concerns, so you tend to go overboard on it, and potentially, due to the stress it can cause you, not as great at it as the second instinct as that one doesn't tie into your ego, it's just something you handle well - no muss, no fuss- style.

I'd say you are definitely sp-dom, as that is clearly where your focus is at. I'd also say that that has its...consequences though, and shows in your stress-moments.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]
You're an SX-dom, without any possibility of doubt. Anyone who wants the deep soulmate connection, with a thirst beyond words, as you do...pure SX.
And when you combine it with either a 4w5 or a 5w4 ... it makes the intensity of dragon's fire itself look like an Alka-Seltzer.
And your devotion to "the finer things" in food and drink, (yet without luxuria), but being willing or eager to do cheeseburgers instead, and the attention to unique clothes...yeah, SP (but note the SX- shading into this by the insistence on...well, elegance or, ...a certain pizzazz).
But note that the clothes and food you do without expending so much as the effort taken to backhand a pesky mosquito, whereas bonding...not so easy.
Therefore as [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] said, the SX- is dominant, the SP- second.
And you have written extensively about not getting *how* people pull off the social mixing thing...therefore you are SO last.

Hang in there, you are not without allies!

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your ego is pegged to the primary instinct, therefore if that's not being fulfilled, it will set off the issues of your core type. The other two just aren't as important.

I've spoken to another theorist who thinks that actually the instinctual descriptions are snapshots of various tritypes--hence if you're a 451, you'd fit the profile of an sp-first 4, regardless of motivation (so, technically, you could be sx-first and still fit the profile of an sp). Worth considering?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've spoken to another theorist who thinks that actually the instinctual descriptions are snapshots of various tritypes--hence if you're a 451, you'd fit the profile of an sp-first 4, regardless of motivation (so, technically, you could be sx-first and still fit the profile of an sp). Worth considering?
This is interesting. Would you mind posting the other associations between instinctial combos and tritypes for type 4, if you know?

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is interesting. Would you mind posting the other associations between instinctial combos and tritypes for type 4, if you know?
He had it sub-divided more cleanly, but basically:

1-fix: profile of sp4
9-fix: profile of soc4
8-fix: profile of sx4

regardless of actual stacking.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ah, interesting. If going with tritype theory, I've pretty much landed on 9 as making the most sense. And, I'm also a dom-so 4. Guess I anecdotally fit the theory.

Permabanned
You can be great at the first one too, its just that that one ties in with your ego, and its concerns, so you tend to go overboard on it, and potentially, due to the stress it can cause you, not as great at it as the second instinct as that one doesn't tie into your ego, it's just something you handle well - no muss, no fuss- style.

I'd say you are definitely sp-dom, as that is clearly where your focus is at. I'd also say that that has its...consequences though, and shows in your stress-moments.
Do me! do me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oneoneone!!!111eleven1!111111!!!!!!!!1oneone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!!1!11eeleven!!!!1!11eeleven!!!!1!11eeleven!!!!1!11eeleven!!111!!!
ke4vqn6

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, interesting. If going with tritype theory, I've pretty much landed on 9 as making the most sense. And, I'm also a dom-so 4. Guess I anecdotally fit the theory.

According to him, the 479 tritype is soc/sx, and that actually fits my little sister remarkably well (I've typed her as 497 soc/sx). So, I'm saying that I, too, think there's something to this.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to him, the 479 tritype is soc/sx, and that actually fits my little sister remarkably well (I've typed her as 497 soc/sx). So, I'm saying that I, too, think there's something to this.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether I'd be more 497 or 496. Think it's a tossup. (Though I say that in a super high level sense, knowing what I know about 6 and 7, as, I haven't delved into tritype or read the descriptions, really) For a while I was considering so/sx. It's hard to tease out upbringing vs. natural self. I was raised in the most sp-dom environment possible, but sp stuff causes me lots of anxiety and I tend to do some, I'll say, rather sx-ish things in life.

B

brainheart

According to him, the 479 tritype is soc/sx, and that actually fits my little sister remarkably well (I've typed her as 497 soc/sx).

Dude, share with us the rest of the type correlations, s'il vous plait. (And this is interesting because my 1-fix is definitely self pres-ish).

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

This makes a lot of sense. I've been suspecting that I'm a 4 with a very strong 1-fix, and Sp is the only 4 that "fits."

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, share with us the rest of the type correlations, s'il vous plait. (And this is interesting because my 1-fix is definitely self pres-ish).
Unfortunately, he only shared the 4s with me. Still, maybe we can work it out for ourselves around TypoC. (Maybe I'll start a thread, or another interested party can).

This makes a lot of sense. I've been suspecting that I'm a 4 with a very strong 1-fix, and Sp is the only 4 that "fits."
That might make sense for you. Especially as an INFJ, you could easily be either type. Best of luck figuring it out!!

B

brainheart

Unfortunately, he only shared the 4s with me. Still, maybe we can work it out for ourselves around TypoC. (Maybe I'll start a thread, or another interested party can).

I meant fours. Why would I care about anything else? :D

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I meant fours. Why would I care about anything else? :D
I can forward you the email he sent me, but I'll have to be at a computer where I can access that account first. I'll send you a PM when I can. (Anyone else who is interested can send me a PM; would prefer not to rip off his ideas publicly).