• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Me Settle On My %!@$ Instinctual Subtype

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] your words sent me into a whirl. I had more thoughts about this while rinsing out the sink and hurried to get back here before my thoughts evaporated. Why don't I have a secretary tucked in my lobes so that this won't happen?

You were rinsing out your sink? *is confused* Why?
:wink:

Ever since my personal lobe secretary said "you couldn't pay me enough to do this job!" and quit... all of my posts seem to be missing 'a central point.'

I had "someone" just once. And the rest of those relationships happened because I wanted the feelings of intensity that happened with the first one. I wasn't attached to the person(s) but to recreating what I felt with that first one. It was long ago and I stopped doing it. I dunno...sx and sp feel very tangled up to me. And it is hard sift out what is sx and just 7 in general. I think that sx shows up at its worst when I am distressed or worse, depressed. It tends to come roaring out then and I have a tendency to lose control, take crazy risks, blah, blah, blah when I am unhappy. Pure f*** it mode. I stop caring and start seeking.
Maybe that's the struggle I feel inside...being an ENFP sp-dom? (angling for that oh-so-wonderful special snowflake status).

I'm sorry to do this to you but I'm hoping you will humor me here... now why not so dom? Why not so/sx? e7 so/sx doesn't automatically turn you into Chanaynay the King of Extroversion (although that does look like a lot of fun and I've told him he must carry me around in his pocket or pack me in an extra suitcase and periodically feed me fabulous cocktails with fruit and those little umbrellas...)

I need to read the sp e7 description you attached...but in this moment I can't rule out that what you are attributing to sp...isn't e7s so in disguise.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sorry to do this to you but I'm hoping you will humor me here... now why not so dom? Why not so/sx? e7 so/sx doesn't automatically turn you into Chanaynay the King of Extroversion (although that does look like a lot of fun and I've told him he must carry me around in his pocket or pack me in an extra suitcase and periodically feed me fabulous cocktails with fruit and those little umbrellas...)

I need to read the sp e7 description you attached...but in this moment I can't rule out that what you are attributing to sp...isn't e7s so in disguise.

Absolutely I will humor you! I don't know. I didn't relate to the so-things on elfboy's list. But anything is possible! Especially since variants get their own twist with each enneagram type. The only thing I can relate to is the call of duty that I've had in my family setting. I was the problem-solver, the protector or rescuer. But it's always been in a 'goddamit, nobody's driving?! Gimme the damn steering wheel!!!" Or wanting to take others under my wing...I take a sense of pride in that (8 wing? :shrug: ). I kept my um...private messes and stresses to myself. Mostly because I didn't think anyone could help me and also because I was ashamed of even having weaknesses.

But I've never extended this to a larger community at all and have no desire to be a part of one. I don't understand the appeal to be a part of something greater than myself. Not enough attention in a group setting and I dislike that.

Starry

I haven't abandoned you [MENTION=9883]Redbone[/MENTION]

I just did something really stupid is all... I went and started reading as many sp and so e7 descriptions as I could find and now my head hurts. There just doesn't seem to be any kind of agreement whatsoever on what a 7 so is like...vs a 7 sx or 7 sp...WTF people? I knew things were bad but I had forgotten just how bad. I honestly think [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] 's are the most accurate ones you can currently access on the internet.

When I put everything together in my mind...I think 7w6 sp (specifically self-preservation dominance for the 7w6) would be a very rare thing to have manifest. Did that even make sense? haha 'have manifest' ? I guess so. It would rarely occur. Not impossible...but rare. I think sp is for 7w8. I think what may happen is if there's an especially sensitive ENFP 7w6 so child... A child that for the most part fits Naranjo's social description below... if that child's openness and universally loving spirit takes one too many blows...they may start to shift that focus inward. They may start to seem self-preservation...without actually being self-preservation. sp is an alternative survival strategy as opposed to an actual dominant preference.

I have an ENFP 7w6 so/sx friend irl. Now, she knows she is a social dom...and yet I could easily place her into a 7 sp description...for the same reasons I think you *might* be relating to the sp descriptions yourself. I'm not saying I know... this is only a feeling and possibly meaningless. My friend is not the Saint found in Naranjos' description by any stretch of the imagination...but I think she started out to be.

I'll have to think on this some more...

----

Naranjo´s depiction of Social Sevens below.

SOCIAL 7
Passion: “SOCIAL SACRIFICE¨
¨Brother Sun, Sister Moon¨

It’s the Counter-7: Sacrifices his/her gluttony in the pursuit of a social benefit, the postponement of desires for one ideal.
The gluttony in this case is focused in the desire of being seen as very, very good , almost Saintly.
Have gluttony for recognition of their sacrifice.
The key word is SACRIFICE but it’s a narcissistic sacrifice because they want to be appreciated in return. They sacrifice their pleasure for an ideal, for Goodness = Goodness for applause.

They are the most austere of all Sevens. The good boy/girl who makes sacrifices for the world. Too pure. Altar Boys, Boy & Girl Scouts, Hippies. They need to be seen as good kids.
Good for a benefit. Idealism focused on Social things
More accepting of limits than other subtypes. High sense of responsibility.
Eagerness to please, thirst of recognition and popularity. They need to shine (like 3s) but projecting the image of BEING GOOD, ALMOST SAINTLY.
-Desire for PURITY.
-Childish.
-More connected with guilt, more idealistic.
-Utopian & Idealist. Reach ideal of perfection-like Ones-, but in the Social 7 it's not innate perfectionism, it's forced.
-Sly & shrewd with face of good boys/girls, they always get what they want.

-Generous but not selfless. They can lie and manipulate (but always thru good manners), but without noticing their strings attached.

They keep talking about their sacrifices for the common good.
They long for a ¨highest kind of pleasure¨, being next to God.Many Priests and Nuns belong to this subtype.
-They are more hard-working (more focused), less fickle than the other subtypes..
More Fivish, they are not so visible or extroverts.

-The most faithful of all Sevens, they only cheat in their fantasies. It doesn’t match being pure & promiscuous. Before ¨temptation¨, they can hold themselves back easily unlike the Sx & Sp who can’t.
-Helpful with others, but usually expect a reward. Their generosity has a hidden agenda.
-They help everyone without regards, unlike the SP 7 who just helps those of their convenience (and whose can take advantage of later)

When you need something in the social arena, you need recognition and approval. What´s the best way to get this? Being GOOD. They try to be good according to social consensus.

The most sober and introverted of 7s. Concerned about diet, image, etc.
Usually self-sacrficing, takes the burden of family, children, etc.

Example: St. Francis of Assisi (note: in order to understand this subtype, he recommended watching ¨Brother Sun, Sister Moon¨).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]
o_O
wow, I knew Social 7s were more superego, but Naranjo makes them sound like fuckin' Mother Teresa :laugh:
Social 7w6 sounds like a whiny martyr while Social 7w8 sounds like one of those really charismatic but self righteous black preachers who thinks he's a 1
Edit: holy shit. is my mom a Social 7........

B

brainheart

o_O
wow, I knew Social 7s were more superego, but Naranjo makes them sound like fuckin' Mother Teresa :laugh:
Social 7w6 sounds like a whiny martyr while Social 7w8 sounds like one of those really charismatic but self righteous black preachers who thinks he's a 1

I thought the same thing when I first read about social seven in regards to my mom, who I tend to type as a 1w2. She seems so, so one, in her morals and idealism, but she's also this fun, silly, goofy person who seems to likely be an ESXP. It's confusing, to say the least. One time she said to me, about selling the house/land that she loved, "It just didn't seem right that I should be able to enjoy it all to myself, that I should let others enjoy it instead." That seems like a very social 7 sentiment to me, a la Naranjo.

I wonder if the new pope is a social seven...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the same thing when I first read about social seven in regards to my mom, who I tend to type as a 1w2. She seems so, so one, in her morals and idealism, but she's also this fun, silly, goofy person who seems to likely be an ESXP. It's confusing, to say the least. One time she said to me, about selling the house/land that she loved, "It just didn't seem right that I should be able to enjoy it all to myself, that I should let others enjoy it instead." That seems like a very social 7 sentiment to me, a la Naranjo.

sounds like it

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you have his Sp and Sx descriptions of 7?

Starry

o_O

Jesus was clearly a social 7.

[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] I wanted to respond right away but I couldn't think of how to phrase this properly... so screw it...this doesn't apply to any member here. But irl ENxP social 7s seem...the most loveable and yet the most potentially hurtful when I think of the traits that so many people claim left them heartbroken. This description surprised me as well. Does it have a so/sp slant? I don't even know but I'm relisting my variants with this description in a signature spoiler.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you, Starry! Yes--I've read so many descriptions that I've shut my laptop down in disgust and mass confusion. I don't think that so-7 applies to me but it sure reminds me of my ESFP sister! I always wondered where that goody/straight-laced/look at ME streak in her came from...this sounds so much like her. And she is far, far, far more charismatic than I could ever hope to be.

I found this:

http://www.enneagramdimensions.net/articles\on_the_nature_of_subtypes.pdf

I haven't read through all of it but found the table on pg. 21 interesting.
Sp 7: Gourmand / Family Visionary (family)
: Family life
is idealized to create an environment that is stimulating, enthusiastic, pleasurable, body-oriented, (gourmet or health food focused), or visionary (e.g.,utopian, as in a commune or extended family). Like the “good life”, to stay busy with fun home activities, not to slow down or get bogged down with routine chores.

Edit: Sum it up like this...I love my self-indulgent comforts and insuring I have resources to obtain those comforts/needs/etc. but I am also nagged by a sense of "What if I'm missing out on something?" so I often feel restless, bored, and unhappy when things are too comfortable/stable and feel the need to shake things up.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But irl ENxP social 7s seem...the most loveable and yet the most potentially hurtful when I think of the traits that so many people claim left them heartbroken.

I always wanted to be that boy who could crush men's hopes, dreams, souls, and skulls.
icon_local_aimkissyface.gif

OT: Be me Red! Be me!!
OT for real though: Just from my impressions of you, sx/sp. I could see why so/sx would work too - I love the syn-flow energy I get from you. :D