• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] What does an Sx first 9 look like?

L

LadyLazarus

A while ago someone suggested 9w1 as a possible type for myself,I've given it some thought,and decided I may have possibly rejected the idea too quickly,thus this thread was born as my way of exploring it/giving the idea a fair shot.

Overall,in a rudimentary way,Sx and type nine seem a bit of an oxymoron,intense yet laid back,peaceful yet aggressive,etc.

That being said,what exactly does an Sx first nine even look like?Sx/sp 9 to be specific.

Admittedly,I came here because it's been rather difficult to find much on sx 9's from my limited resources,as most descriptions I come across seem to refer to Soc first 9's.

I would very much appreciate any insight/info on soc last 9's especially from said soc last 9's.

Also,if anyone could recommend some good books/resources on enneagram for someone who is virtually a novice that would be very helpful indeed,all I have to go off right now are literally just miscellaneous forum threads and a few descriptions found through Google.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an Sx-first type 9...

What would you like to know?

L

LadyLazarus

I'm an Sx-first type 9...

What would you like to know?

Alright,well do you relate to 9 descriptions?

As an sx 9,would you consider yourself 4-ish?

Would you consider yourself more passive or aggressive?

Are you straightforward or do you beat around the bush?

Are you emotionally volatile?

Are you reactive whatsoever?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Pretty well. I used to think I was a Two for a long time as I had a very strong need to "be needed" but then after doing a couple of more tests I realized I much more Ninish than Twoish as I had a much stronger desire for harmony and calm and peace than a Two.

I have many similarities to a 4 but I consider myself much more grounded and practical than a 4

Passive, but this has been changing over the past year. Partially because of my job (which frequently has confrontation) and partially because I've been working out a LOT and eating a lot, my testosterone has increased and I've become much more assertive. The problem is that being very assertive is very new to me so I tend to "over do it" as it were and I can get pretty aggressive at times.

I prefer to be as straightforward as I can be, to the point to where I can be blunt or abrasive sometimes.

I can be, much to my chagrin. I can let many, many things go or not phase me but there are a select group of things that when they happen, I can go from 0-Pissed in half a second.

Most of the time. I don't like to act unless I absolutely need too or if I have sufficient data about a situation or person or thing. Otherwise, I tend to take a "wait and see" approach to things.

Cygnus

That seems to me like a pretty accurate typing for the ISFP. ISFPs are kind of "in your face" in the same way ESFPs are, what with the Se-preference. When you do get close up enough to an ISFP for them to be comfortable talking to you, their sentences are brief, a little bit "loud," and confident-sounding.

Or you could be the type to forcibly end other people's conflicts. I find it highly irritating when people do that with me.

My xSTP guitar teacher is also a 9, I think. He spends a lot of his time apologizing over how he claims he's really frustrated with us and how things are going, while externally he doesn't seem angry at all. Probably a Tertiary Fe thing.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to what I've read, sexual 9s have a desire to "merge" with their partner--they long for union. Naranjo describes them as the "weak" 9s--they tend to yield and are the sort of 9 that most exemplifies loss of oneself to the other's desires. They might even wind up living through others' personalities rather than assert their own individuality. The stereotype of the sx-firsts being "aggressive" doesn't necessarily make them so, though Riso and Hudson also note that sx 9s can have a "sassy" streak.

My mother is a social-last 9, and she's very insular (she's also triple withdrawn, but still). I think she's sp/sx, and is just sort of a homebody. She claims that all she wants in life is "middle class complacency", presumably so she can comfortably read books and not have to work hard or worry about money. She doesn't really fit the model of "sweet" and "jolly" that is accorded to many 9s. She's real serious, practical, and concerned with her day-to-day household management, hobbies, and close family. She's like many social lasts--she just doesn't care about the larger world, community involvement, etc., and is often taken for being a snob since she has literally NO desire to reach out to others or be "accommodating" with the group. She maintains that it doesn't matter what "they" think because she's comfortable the way she is. Very enclosed on just so many different levels.

With emotions, she does sort of have an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. She sees herself as "weak", yet she's one of the strongest, most stubborn and forceful people I've ever met when she makes up her mind what to do (or not do). Think of a zoo elephant, and that about captures her.

Anyway, some books.

- I find that Beatrice Chestnut's recent book on the 27 archetypes (The Complete Enneagram) is a pretty nice summary of major authors in the field. It's also the most updated.
-Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types by Riso and Hudson are good places to start and readily accessible, but are prone to making typees think in terms of behaviors.
- Helen Palmer's Enneagram is another common approach and really gets you into the mindset of each type.
- You can also visit the forums on Personality Cafe, where Naranjo's descriptions are posted under each type's forum. You can also download a copy of the book somewhere, though where that is totally slips my mind. Here's the 9-description to get you started:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-f...ranjos-character-neurosis-ennea-type-9-a.html

I plan on making a book list sometime for people who don't know where to start, so keep an eye out for that.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, some books.

- I find that Beatrice Chestnut's recent book on the 27 archetypes (The Complete Enneagram) is a pretty nice summary of major authors in the field. It's also the most updated.
-Wisdom of the Enneagram and Personality Types by Riso and Hudson are good places to start and readily accessible, but are prone to making typees think in terms of behaviors.
- Helen Palmer's Enneagram is another common approach and really gets you into the mindset of each type.
- You can also visit the forums on Personality Cafe, where Naranjo's descriptions are posted under each type's forum. You can also download a copy of the book somewhere, though where that is totally slips my mind. Here's the 9-description to get you started:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-f...ranjos-character-neurosis-ennea-type-9-a.html

I plan on making a book list sometime for people who don't know where to start, so keep an eye out for that.

I liked the Everything Enneagram book as far as a crash course in types. I'll have to see how Chestnut's compares, because it sounds more indepth & "recent".

I've seen a book by Naranjo called 27 Personajes en Busca del Ser (27 Characters in Search of Self), but it's in Spanish & I can't find it in English. It supposedly features 27 people of each type talking about their integration processes or something like that. Might be interesting to get a flavor of each subtype (this would not include wings of course).

L

LadyLazarus

That seems to me like a pretty accurate typing for the ISFP. ISFPs are kind of "in your face" in the same way ESFPs are, what with the Se-preference. When you do get close up enough to an ISFP for them to be comfortable talking to you, their sentences are brief, a little bit "loud," and confident-sounding.

Or you could be the type to forcibly end other people's conflicts. I find it highly irritating when people do that with me.

My xSTP guitar teacher is also a 9, I think. He spends a lot of his time apologizing over how he claims he's really frustrated with us and how things are going, while externally he doesn't seem angry at all. Probably a Tertiary Fe thing.

Yes,that first part holds true for myself and I hate it when people interrupt me mid rage,so if I am a nine(doubt it,but like I said,hey let's give it a shot.)I'm most certainly not that sort of nine.

Last edited:
L

LadyLazarus

According to what I've read, sexual 9s have a desire to "merge" with their partner--they long for union. Naranjo describes them as the "weak" 9s--they tend to yield and are the sort of 9 that most exemplifies loss of oneself to the other's desires. They might even wind up living through others' personalities rather than assert their own individuality. The stereotype of the sx-firsts being "aggressive" doesn't necessarily make them so, though Riso and Hudson also note that sx 9s can have a "sassy" streak.

My mother is a social-last 9, and she's very insular (she's also triple withdrawn, but still). I think she's sp/sx, and is just sort of a homebody. She claims that all she wants in life is "middle class complacency", presumably so she can comfortably read books and not have to work hard or worry about money. She doesn't really fit the model of "sweet" and "jolly" that is accorded to many 9s. She's real serious, practical, and concerned with her day-to-day household management, hobbies, and close family. She's like many social lasts--she just doesn't care about the larger world, community involvement, etc., and is often taken for being a snob since she has literally NO desire to reach out to others or be "accommodating" with the group. She maintains that it doesn't matter what "they" think because she's comfortable the way she is. Very enclosed on just so many different levels.

With emotions, she does sort of have an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality. She sees herself as "weak", yet she's one of the strongest, most stubborn and forceful people I've ever met when she makes up her mind what to do (or not do). Think of a zoo elephant, and that about captures her.

Anyway, some books.

Helpful as always, thank you for the info and book recommendations,I will check them out!:)
Alright,I will.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I knew an awesome sx/sp e9 on this forum. One of the few religious people that I got along with well without sacrificing self expression.

She was very sx in the sense that she would usually say whatever was on her mind, but she valued harmony too much to be ok with conflict. She'd often post something and then delete it on second thought.

L

LadyLazarus

I liked the Everything Enneagram book as far as a crash course in types. I'll have to see how Chestnut's compares, because it sounds more indepth & "recent".

I've seen a book by Naranjo called 27 Personajes en Busca del Ser (27 Characters in Search of Self), but it's in Spanish & I can't find it in English. It supposedly features 27 people of each type talking about their integration processes or something like that. Might be interesting to get a flavor of each subtype (this would not include wings of course).

Interesting.Thanks I'll look into it.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think Everything Enneagram has an online presence at NetPlaces:

http://www.netplaces.com/enneagram/

I found Chestnut's work...somewhat odd. It was as though she cut and pasted from Naranjo (including some of the things translated from the book you mention) while citing from Maitri and a few other authors. While this makes for an excellent summarized reference guide, esp for a newbie, I honestly felt like I could have written most of it myself. She includes an analysis of The Odyssey and Dante's Inferno under each chapter (?), and, happily, seems keen on breaking down stereotypes. The most useful aspect of the book was probably the self-psychoanalysis section for each type, as well the extended perspectives from individuals belonging from each of the 27 archetypes.

I'm waiting on Naranjo's most recent work myself. It's not yet been translated, but again, Chestnut claims to borrow heavily from it. Definitely a good, if odd, reference guide.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
She's not sx/sp, but perhaps [MENTION=16650]AngelLight2012[/MENTION] could chime in.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Oh, yes. :D
I once mistyped myself as a 6 on here, though - looking back at that, I realize that it was simply my disintegration point. I had been going through some pretty rough times back then, with trying to get myself back on track academically and all.

Hmm... I'm not sure. My sweetheart is a 4 though, and we both seem similar in some ways (for example, we both have the tendency to daydream and are quite romantic with each other).

Depends on the situation. If something needs to be done urgently, I will step up to the plate and do whatever it takes. Otherwise, I have no problem taking a more passive approach.

Ah, good question. You will know if I'm being straightforward or if I'm beating around the bush, and I will beat around the bush if I'm afraid of hurting others. With my loved ones though, I tend to be more straightforward. :)

I can be, though I try to avoid that by meditating on the people/things that make me feel happy and calm.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but: whoever mentions anything against a cause I'm passionate about had better watch out. I will defend that cause to the death.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Those bolded phrases describe two of my most dominant traits in a nutshell. :D

L

LadyLazarus

Oh, yes. :D
I once mistyped myself as a 6 on here, though - looking back at that, I realize that it was simply my disintegration point. I had been going through some pretty rough times back then, with trying to get myself back on track academically and all.

Hmm... I'm not sure. My sweetheart is a 4 though, and we both seem similar in some ways (for example, we both have the tendency to daydream and are quite romantic with each other).

Depends on the situation. If something needs to be done urgently, I will step up to the plate and do whatever it takes. Otherwise, I have no problem taking a more passive approach.

Ah, good question. You will know if I'm being straightforward or if I'm beating around the bush, and I will beat around the bush if I'm afraid of hurting others. With my loved ones though, I tend to be more straightforward. :)

I can be, though I try to avoid that by meditating on the people/things that make me feel happy and calm.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but: whoever mentions anything against a cause I'm passionate about had better watch out. I will defend that cause to the death.

Thank you!I don't relate to almost all of this or any of the other 9's answers/sx 9 descriptions from other types,just as I thought;I am no nine.

Thanks anyway everyone.:)

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you!I don't relate to almost all of this or any of the other 9's answers/sx 9 descriptions from other types,just as I thought;I am no nine.

Thanks anyway everyone.:)

No problem! :) :hug: Glad we could at least help you determine this!