• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which matters more? Instinctual type or enneagram?

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
I think the enneagram is more important, and that the Instinctual type is pretty much an add-on? A pretty popular opinion to hold.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To be happy? Enneagram. My mom has actually started to integrate to 4 and she's a lot more happy and less stressed than she used to be (well, less stressed for a Beta type anyway :alttongue:). I agree with [MENTION=17134]PimpinMcBoltage[/MENTION] that instincts are kind of like an additional component because they help you find balance - which I believe is an essential part of finding happiness. Although I think instincts are more apparent than Enneagram/MBTI/etc in real life though.

badger055

Permabanned
To be happy? Enneagram. My mom has actually started to integrate to 4 and she's a lot more happy and less stressed than she used to be (well, less stressed for a Beta type anyway :alttongue:). I agree with [MENTION=17134]PimpinMcBoltage[/MENTION] that instincts are kind of like an additional component because they help you find balance - which I believe is an essential part of finding happiness. Although I think instincts are more apparent than Enneagram/MBTI/etc in real life though.

It's treated like an add on but I think it's more important than that. Your enneagram becomes the most active when you are doing things involving your instinctual variant. For example my 7 is most active when adventuring but not by myself it needs to be with a buddy (sx). So it seems like my 7 is more dependent on my sx. I'm starting to feel like I need good sx connections more than I need 7 entertainment stuff alone. I'm always looking for an intense connection with something or someone. If it really is an instinct then that sounds more vital than an enneagram motivation.

Ichazo teaches that "the instincts are defined . . . as three fundamental reactions of our organism in order to sustain life.

I found that the instinctual drives appear to be not only instrumental in distinguishing the different styles of manifesting our Enneagram type behavior, but also perhaps the stronger, more unconscious, yet all-pervasive element of our personality type. Our instinctual drives motivate us in the ongoing human struggle to create and sustain relationships, to aggressively seek what we need to survive, and to defend what we have and fear losing. Clearly, the journey toward wholeness might well include the conscious exploration of these relatively untraveled, instinctual roads, and thus ultimately lead to a more balanced and integrated awareness.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your primary instinct is the one that your ego rests upon--so the most pressing issues of your enneagram type will manifest that way. So, they kind of go hand-in-hand with each other.

From what I've been reading, many top professionals in the field now think that instinct is even more important than enneatype, since it underpins which way your fixation will manifest. You're supposed to find balance by focusing on your least-developed instinct. That takes the ego pressure off your dominant, hence helping the individual to improve their health level.

I don't have any firm opinions on this subject (especially since I habitually question my own stacking and arbitrarily decide "instincts are crap"), but that's the word on the street anyway.

badger055

Permabanned
You're supposed to find balance by focusing on your least-developed instinct. That takes the ego pressure off your dominant, hence helping the individual to improve their health level.

Developing my social instinct? Eh sounds like a lost cause.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll say enneagram type. Instinctual variant is a subtype of enneagram type.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which one is more vital to be happy?

To be happy as in a healthy balances state of being? Probably enneagram in my opinion. However for general compatibility with people, I think instincts important enough to consider and stand on it's own.

Last edited: