• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] Eating disorders in so-doms?

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was curious to see if anyone had any experience or theories on if there's a correlation between social-doms and eating disorders. It seems to me that they would be most prone to them. However, I've heard that sp-doms can have eating issues as well.

Thoughts?

gromit

likes this
I am sp and food is sooooo important to me. Delicious and healthful food is one of the foundations of well-being alongside getting enough sleep, water, and exercise. If those are not in place in my life then the disappointments and bumps in the road are so much worse...

It is how I show love to others (and if somebody makes me - or buys me - tasty and wholesome food when I'm busy/stressed out, that means sooooo much to me :wubbie:).

Also it is hard for me to want to eat if I am truly upset about something. Have to calm down first...

I can't say if this is normal sp or not and can't speak to so ppl at all, but thought you might like at least one data point for your theory.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also have food issues.

I've theorized that is has to do with inferior Si and the pull-back of sp from dominant sx.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I went through struggles with food. I underate in response to teasing in middle school and would periodically overeat after long spans of undereating. I developed a sort of starve-binge cycle. Dealt with the aftermath of that for a longgggg time. Maybe still am dealing with its vestiges. It's still a struggle for me to understand what is "normal" in terms of eating and how to eat according to my own body's signals rather than external cues.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I actually think I have a fairly healthy relationship with food. I definitely eat too much sugar, it's my weakness. But in general, I'm pretty good at making healthy choices at meals and only eating when I'm hungry. I also love cooking, that helps.

I could easily stand to lose 5-10 pounds, I don't need to, but I would probably be a little healthier. But, overall I've just kind of decided that being thin really isn't that important to me.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am sp and food is sooooo important to me. Delicious and healthful food is one of the foundations of well-being alongside getting enough sleep, water, and exercise. If those are not in place in my life then the disappointments and bumps in the road are so much worse...

It is how I show love to others (and if somebody makes me - or buys me - tasty and wholesome food when I'm busy/stressed out, that means sooooo much to me :wubbie:).

Also it is hard for me to want to eat if I am truly upset about something. Have to calm down first...

I can't say if this is normal sp or not and can't speak to so ppl at all, but thought you might like at least one data point for your theory.

I'm the same way... I've never had any issues with food. But I think my INTP mother is also sp/sx, and she has major food issues.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am sp, and have an unhealthy relationship with food. I am sort of at odds with the physical world at all times, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm INFP or sp-dom or both...

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I am an so dom and food has almost no importance to me. I almost wish I didn't have to eat. I eat even less when I am not at college or any time I don't have to expend great mental energy.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Much more of a Sp thing if linking to instincts.

There are of course other reasons one can have eating disorders, social image especially for the young can be a major contributing factor, that can impact anyone.

I'm with thoughlost, food is a begrudging necessity, when linked to a social event (So) or a rich experience (Sx) I will enjoy it, otherwise I'd be happy to just not eat.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The reason I first thought of So-doms linked to eating disorders is that out of the three instinctual variants, So-doms are likely to care more about what people think of them. But I think I've heard of more cases of Sp-doms having eating disorders/food issues, etc which is intriguing to me.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm an so and I've had ( and sometimes still have ) significant issues with food/eating, but it wasn't because of how others perceived me. It was due to a major and protracted illness I went through as a child, with a lot of nausea and pain.

I wish I could really enjoy food, savor it, like I did before I was ill. But it's difficult with chronic nausea.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was anorexic and bulimic many years ago.
Sx dom
Not sure if it has anything to do with it.
It has to do with:
stress
high expectations (in my case, parental expectations of me that I could not fulfill)
low self-esteem
need to feel in control

Not sure how my ENFP, Sx/so/sp played into this. But I do not like to be controlled. And I was in a situation where I was being controlled. There went the house of cards.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The reason I first thought of So-doms linked to eating disorders is that out of the three instinctual variants, So-doms are likely to care more about what people think of them. But I think I've heard of more cases of Sp-doms having eating disorders/food issues, etc which is intriguing to me.

Meh, I wouldn't say So doms care more about what people think of them, image types of any instinct are probably more aware of that than a non-image type So dom. So doms are aware of the interconnections between others and therefore the social positioning, it doesn't have to include their own standing though, nor does it imply they care about how they are seen physically.

If you look at the opposites of each instinct, So dom can flip between social and anti-social, Sx dom between abstinence and promiscuity, while Sp can flip between overindulgence and disciplined. Sp doms are more likely to be the comfort eaters, and/or the conscientious healthy eaters, when it's about food and control it is easier to link therefore to Sp simply because there is already a focus there, a Sp laster pays that area no/little attention. In an overarching way So relationship with food is about the shared experience with other people, Sx relationship with food is about the indulgent experience, So/Sx and Sx/So would be the least regimented with food without a motivating reason to be otherwise imo and as such an eating disorder for one of those types would likely come from an issue not related to their instinct.

That said, there are a lot of factors that lead to an eating disorder including genetic and neurobiological so even if there is a pattern with instincts, all stackings would be represented.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have some struggles with eating. I went from overeating in my young teenage years to over controlling my diet and fear of gaining weight... I try to eat normal, but I still have this blog against fat foods, fried food, unhealthy food, meat...I was bulimic when was 15-17, then I had the period of normal eating and then when I was 19-20 I lost so much weight, but even though I am underweight I am still notconsidered as anorexic.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Eating disorders are about control and trying to feel in control of your own life. Not about what others think of you.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't have an eating disorder but I do starve myself but I'm legit not hungry for days on end than I eat everything in sight. I have thrown up when I've thought I consumed to much in a setting.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eating disorders are about control and trying to feel in control of your own life. Not about what others think of you.

I have heard that anorexia is typically about control, which makes sense because it is strict limiting. But I never really struggled with control issues, actually, and you could say that mine was more social-shame based. I have a muscular body and was made fun of for it. I had trouble with social situations to begin with because I was late to be socialized due to illness, so it was really multi-determined, but I don't think an eating disorder necessarily has to be about control. The term itself only describes the condition and not necessarily the etiology.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think food can play into each of the instincts, but is most commonly associated with sp-firsts. For social firsts, it might have more to do with the social implications of food (e.g., a family meal, or a discussion on the upcoming global food shortage).

I personally am sx/soc and I have issues with food as well--usually in the form of forgetting to eat or living off junk food. Today, for instance, I ate a Snickers bar for breakfast.

When I have no money, food is the first thing to be sacrificed; I sometimes get nauseous if I eat too much or the wrong sort of food; and on some days I feel like caring for my body and eating food is too much of a boring hassle to deal with. Why can I not be pure mind and soul???

This may also be Si-inf influenced.

PS--the thought of starving terrifies me.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think food can play into each of the instincts, but is most commonly associated with sp-firsts. For social firsts, it might have more to do with the social implications of food (e.g., a family meal, or a discussion on the upcoming global food shortage).

I personally am sx/soc and I have issues with food as well--usually in the form of forgetting to eat or living off junk food. Today, for instance, I ate a Snickers bar for breakfast.

When I have no money, food is the first thing to be sacrificed; I sometimes get nauseous if I eat too much or the wrong sort of food; and on some days I feel like caring for my body and eating food is too much of a boring hassle to deal with. Why can I not be pure mind and soul???

This may also be Si-inf influenced.

PS--the thought of starving terrifies me.

This was really interesting and informative.

I thought it was interesting you mentioned eating a snicker's bar for breakfast... I'm sp-first and I just can't do that, but I have a couple of friends who would think nothing of it. Even if it wouldn't make me feel actively nauseous or something, I *feel* unhealthy and that's not a good feeling to me. I'm not the best at eating healthy all the time (in fact, for a while I wasn't), but there are certain things I can't make myself do most of the time (eating dessert first, eating dessert for breakfast, etc).