User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The reason I first thought of So-doms linked to eating disorders is that out of the three instinctual variants, So-doms are likely to care more about what people think of them. But I think I've heard of more cases of Sp-doms having eating disorders/food issues, etc which is intriguing to me.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I'm an so and I've had ( and sometimes still have ) significant issues with food/eating, but it wasn't because of how others perceived me. It was due to a major and protracted illness I went through as a child, with a lot of nausea and pain.

I wish I could really enjoy food, savor it, like I did before I was ill. But it's difficult with chronic nausea.
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I was anorexic and bulimic many years ago.
    Sx dom
    Not sure if it has anything to do with it.
    It has to do with:
    stress
    high expectations (in my case, parental expectations of me that I could not fulfill)
    low self-esteem
    need to feel in control

Not sure how my ENFP, Sx/so/sp played into this. But I do not like to be controlled. And I was in a situation where I was being controlled. There went the house of cards.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by autumnandtherain View Post
    The reason I first thought of So-doms linked to eating disorders is that out of the three instinctual variants, So-doms are likely to care more about what people think of them. But I think I've heard of more cases of Sp-doms having eating disorders/food issues, etc which is intriguing to me.
    Meh, I wouldn't say So doms care more about what people think of them, image types of any instinct are probably more aware of that than a non-image type So dom. So doms are aware of the interconnections between others and therefore the social positioning, it doesn't have to include their own standing though, nor does it imply they care about how they are seen physically.

If you look at the opposites of each instinct, So dom can flip between social and anti-social, Sx dom between abstinence and promiscuity, while Sp can flip between overindulgence and disciplined. Sp doms are more likely to be the comfort eaters, and/or the conscientious healthy eaters, when it's about food and control it is easier to link therefore to Sp simply because there is already a focus there, a Sp laster pays that area no/little attention. In an overarching way So relationship with food is about the shared experience with other people, Sx relationship with food is about the indulgent experience, So/Sx and Sx/So would be the least regimented with food without a motivating reason to be otherwise imo and as such an eating disorder for one of those types would likely come from an issue not related to their instinct.

That said, there are a lot of factors that lead to an eating disorder including genetic and neurobiological so even if there is a pattern with instincts, all stackings would be represented.

I have some struggles with eating. I went from overeating in my young teenage years to over controlling my diet and fear of gaining weight... I try to eat normal, but I still have this blog against fat foods, fried food, unhealthy food, meat...I was bulimic when was 15-17, then I had the period of normal eating and then when I was 19-20 I lost so much weight, but even though I am underweight I am still notconsidered as anorexic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by autumnandtherain View Post
    Eating disorders are about control and trying to feel in control of your own life. Not about what others think of you.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    yupp

I don't have an eating disorder but I do starve myself but I'm legit not hungry for days on end than I eat everything in sight. I have thrown up when I've thought I consumed to much in a setting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    Eating disorders are about control and trying to feel in control of your own life. Not about what others think of you.
    I have heard that anorexia is typically about control, which makes sense because it is strict limiting. But I never really struggled with control issues, actually, and you could say that mine was more social-shame based. I have a muscular body and was made fun of for it. I had trouble with social situations to begin with because I was late to be socialized due to illness, so it was really multi-determined, but I don't think an eating disorder necessarily has to be about control. The term itself only describes the condition and not necessarily the etiology.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I think food can play into each of the instincts, but is most commonly associated with sp-firsts. For social firsts, it might have more to do with the social implications of food (e.g., a family meal, or a discussion on the upcoming global food shortage).

I personally am sx/soc and I have issues with food as well--usually in the form of forgetting to eat or living off junk food. Today, for instance, I ate a Snickers bar for breakfast.

When I have no money, food is the first thing to be sacrificed; I sometimes get nauseous if I eat too much or the wrong sort of food; and on some days I feel like caring for my body and eating food is too much of a boring hassle to deal with. Why can I not be pure mind and soul???

This may also be Si-inf influenced.

PS--the thought of starving terrifies me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I think food can play into each of the instincts, but is most commonly associated with sp-firsts. For social firsts, it might have more to do with the social implications of food (e.g., a family meal, or a discussion on the upcoming global food shortage).

I personally am sx/soc and I have issues with food as well--usually in the form of forgetting to eat or living off junk food. Today, for instance, I ate a Snickers bar for breakfast.

When I have no money, food is the first thing to be sacrificed; I sometimes get nauseous if I eat too much or the wrong sort of food; and on some days I feel like caring for my body and eating food is too much of a boring hassle to deal with. Why can I not be pure mind and soul???

This may also be Si-inf influenced.

PS--the thought of starving terrifies me.
    This was really interesting and informative.

I thought it was interesting you mentioned eating a snicker's bar for breakfast... I'm sp-first and I just can't do that, but I have a couple of friends who would think nothing of it. Even if it wouldn't make me feel actively nauseous or something, I *feel* unhealthy and that's not a good feeling to me. I'm not the best at eating healthy all the time (in fact, for a while I wasn't), but there are certain things I can't make myself do most of the time (eating dessert first, eating dessert for breakfast, etc).