User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Interacting with Social first Extraverts

It seems like inevitably, once the novelty wears off, that I'm just another human resource for them to manage. Sometimes this is okay, sometimes it isn't.

Anybody else encounter this?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Nope

Do explain what you mean though.

And while you're explaining, please explain your understanding of So.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Do explain what you mean though.

And while you're explaining, please explain your understanding of So.
    I'd like to second this motion. I'm curious what others perceive So to be/mean.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ehhh.. now that I think of it, mostly it's all because I'm being downgraded from being a romantic interest. The whole thing confuses this ENFP, mostly because it seems like during the SO courting process that I've been involved in, it's always been in the guise of friendliness and group activity, so I don't quite get why that can't just resume in similar form after its ended. But it always ends up that I'm on a third tier social calendar, and it bothers me that the 'friend' part was never really about being friends.

But, it seems like they want to keep you on some list somewhere anyway, like on some sort of back burner or something. This is alien to me, mostly because friends to me are people who have a regular and persistent presence. Everyone else is just... everyone else to me.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    But, it seems like they want to keep you on some list somewhere anyway, like on some sort of back burner or something. This is alien to me, mostly because friends to me are people who have a regular and persistent presence. Everyone else is just... everyone else to me.
    I'll speak for myself as an So dom. I am loathe to burn bridges. I can and have done so though. A part of me always tries to keep things impersonal with a person I might not otherwise like in order to keep open a line, or a potential line of communication. Circumstances change and people change their minds or have a change of "heart", myself included. Burned bridges tends to remove this "option".
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm not sure I totally understand the situation... but as far as I do grasp, I'm not really sure I understand the perceived slight. If there was chemistry between you two, but then something happened and it's not there anymore, and she's been less attentive to you, doesn't that seem like a sort of natural thing to have happened? If she wanted you two to get closer while you were courting, she naturally would have moved you to the top of her priority list and devoted extra time and energy to you. But if that became an obvious inevitability for whatever reason, then it seems natural for her to not prioritize you as much anymore. It doesn't seem hurtful to me. Each of us only has so much energy to spend. We don't really have any choice but to play the resource management game.

it bothers me that the 'friend' part was never really about being friends.
    At least for me, there is a very fine - sometimes nonexistent - line between friend and romantic interest. Obviously there are some friends I would not date because I am not attracted to them, but there are others I am genuine friends with and would consider, were I in a position to be courting and they were as well. Basically I hang out with people whom I enjoy, and I don't often make much of a mental separation between "friend" and "potential love interest". It's just that "potential love interest" has to meet a number of more stringent requirements... perhaps I should put it this way: if you are a potential love interest, you already automatically qualify as friend. So I could be wrong, but for this reason, I don't suspect she was "faking".

It also occurs to me that at least for myself, friendships are slow-builds. I take a while to get to be friends with someone, though flirting is immediate. So perhaps she does not see the two of you as being quite as close friendship-wise as you see it. There may also be some hurt on her part. It is hard to go back to seeing another person as "just friends" when you have had a crush on someone!

I echo @SpankyMcFly on this one. I don't do much bridge-burning. Things change and burned bridges are too permanent. I like to just let things fade gracefully, maybe checking in on each other once in a while. I actually used to be much more hurt by people "fading away" as a child, but I have come mostly to terms with it. We only have so much time and energy to devote to so many people, so we try our best to create the ideal combination of energy usage. For the people who don't make it, it's not personal. It's just that I have so many people and so little time. It is that way for everyone, so I don't hold it against others and I don't expect them to hold it against me, but I do hope that someday our lives may be positioned so that we can enjoy time together.

I would be happy to mull more on the situation if you can provide a bit more detail.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@skylights

I guess I didn't really mention a situation, because I was talking in general... except I'm not. I actually have one situation on my mind and I'm evaluating it based on a Frankensteinien composite ExFP SO woman I have in my head. The actual facts are completely different for each situation.. EXCEPT for the whole feeling like I'm being managed as an object at some point. I know this sounds like normal social protocol, but.. check out my instinctual stacking.

Anyway, thanks for answering. I can't really give details on an internet forum, just doesn't seem right.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

@skylights

I guess I didn't really mention a situation, because I was talking in general... except I'm not. I actually have one situation on my mind and I'm evaluating it based on a Frankensteinien composite ExFP SO woman I have in my head. The actual facts are completely different for each situation.. EXCEPT for the whole feeling like I'm being managed as an object at some point. I know this sounds like normal social protocol, but.. check out my instinctual stacking.

Anyway, thanks for answering. I can't really give details on an internet forum, just doesn't seem right.
    That's ok, I understand. Some things I don't like sharing, either.

I guess my only further comment is try to understand that being "managed" doesn't make you any less human or important in a Social-dom's mind. It is more a conceptualization of our own resources than a conceptualization of you. The people in my life are what I value most and I appreciate each person on a very individual level, which is one of the reasons I struggle so much to limit my time and energy with them. I wish I had infinite time and energy for everyone. My schedule book is just my way of dealing with the world at large, and people fall under that category too.

As always, I could be wrong - but I think they would probably feel bad if they knew you felt mistreated in this way.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I'll speak for myself as an So dom. I am loathe to burn bridges. I can and have done so though. A part of me always tries to keep things impersonal with a person I might not otherwise like in order to keep open a line, or a potential line of communication. Circumstances change and people change their minds or have a change of "heart", myself included. Burned bridges tends to remove this "option".
    ^ This.

Small, personal example: I had a falling out with a friend a while back, but kept her my friend on Facebook. Can't envision a time when I'll want to really be her friend again, but I do still care about her, and she's a good person, so I want to keep that option open. Plus: that's a sign to her that I DO still care about her, despite everything. (And we have so many mutual friends, that it would be incredibly awkward if I burned that bridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I'm not sure I totally understand the situation... but as far as I do grasp, I'm not really sure I understand the perceived slight. If there was chemistry between you two, but then something happened and it's not there anymore, and she's been less attentive to you, doesn't that seem like a sort of natural thing to have happened? If she wanted you two to get closer while you were courting, she naturally would have moved you to the top of her priority list and devoted extra time and energy to you. But if that became an obvious inevitability for whatever reason, then it seems natural for her to not prioritize you as much anymore. It doesn't seem hurtful to me. Each of us only has so much energy to spend. We don't really have any choice but to play the resource management game.

At least for me, there is a very fine - sometimes nonexistent - line between friend and romantic interest. Obviously there are some friends I would not date because I am not attracted to them, but there are others I am genuine friends with and would consider, were I in a position to be courting and they were as well. Basically I hang out with people whom I enjoy, and I don't often make much of a mental separation between "friend" and "potential love interest". It's just that "potential love interest" has to meet a number of more stringent requirements... perhaps I should put it this way: if you are a potential love interest, you already automatically qualify as friend. So I could be wrong, but for this reason, I don't suspect she was "faking".
    ^ This too.

It's also worth mentioning that seeing how you act in a group situation, with her mutual friends, is a bit of a test. I've done that exact thing. The one-on-one sx thing is not always a good judge of character, but seeing how you interact with others is a much better one. (Similar to the test re: how they treat servers at restaurants.)

Also, if she was looking for something casual, it may have made her life a lot easier if she could push the "friend time" and "romantic time" circles a bit closer on her relationship venn diagram.

The actual facts are completely different for each situation.. EXCEPT for the whole feeling like I'm being managed as an object at some point. I know this sounds like normal social protocol, but.. check out my instinctual stacking.
    Damn... That rings true. I can totally see how my extroveted social-first behavior could come across that way. Maybe it IS managing people as objects.

I guess I can try to describe it this way (speaking for Exxx so/sx but likely not for Exxx so/sp): We want to be there for EVERYBODY. We want to interact with the WORLD, in a sense. And like skylights said, we only have so much energy. Meaning, we often have to put up strict boundaries with the people we don't have the energy saved up for -- even if we really, really like those people. I can't even count the number of people I absolutely adore, but who I just can't spend time on/with. It frustrates me to no end. In a perfect world, I'd have a gazillion more close friends than I do. But I just can't.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ^ This.

Small, personal example: I had a falling out with a friend a while back, but kept her my friend on Facebook. Can't envision a time when I'll want to really be her friend again, but I do still care about her, and she's a good person, so I want to keep that option open. Plus: that's a sign to her that I DO still care about her, despite everything. (And we have so many mutual friends, that it would be incredibly awkward if I burned that bridge.)

^ This too.

It's also worth mentioning that seeing how you act in a group situation, with her mutual friends, is a bit of a test. I've done that exact thing. The one-on-one sx thing is not always a good judge of character, but seeing how you interact with others is a much better one. (Similar to the test re: how they treat servers at restaurants.)

Also, if she was looking for something casual, it may have made her life a lot easier if she could push the "friend time" and "romantic time" circles a bit closer on her relationship venn diagram.
    I'm not talking about anybody in particular.. I just happen to post this wondering out of the blue random about things that have occurred to me sometime in the past, having nothing at all to do with the present.. NOTHING (Along with the one-on-one. I am pleased to announce that I pass social tests, in my own way; I am ENFP after all. The biggest problems I run into are seeming too intimate with friends, sometimes. I counter act this by attempting to spread it around in a gender neutral way, which mostly causes amusement in any so/sx.)

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Damn... That rings true. I can totally see how my extroveted social-first behavior could come across that way. Maybe it IS managing people as objects.

I guess I can try to describe it this way (speaking for Exxx so/sx but likely not for Exxx so/sp): We want to be there for EVERYBODY. We want to interact with the WORLD, in a sense. And like skylights said, we only have so much energy. Meaning, we often have to put up strict boundaries with the people we don't have the energy saved up for -- even if we really, really like those people. I can't even count the number of people I absolutely adore, but who I just can't spend time on/with. It frustrates me to no end. In a perfect world, I'd have a gazillion more close friends than I do. But I just can't.
    The thing is that to me, this is just a matter of nuance. It's the whole avoidance-of-social-awkwardness thing that acts as an irritant to me. In anybody that I want to spend time with, I require a certain amount of honesty mixed with empathy for what my expectations are, which I try to make clear with my own way of interacting. An invite from a friend that I am on the rocks with to some event where we would just happen to be at the same venue to me smacks of disrespect. From their perspective it may seem like a token to show they care, but for me it feels like they think I have nothing better to do than to bask in their social company from 20 foot away.

I also have a tendency to want to react very badly to being managed. I'm just ornery, and it turns out very bad if I don't keep myself in check. I'm an ENFP, and I know how to test boundaries, and it's my natural inclination just to make everybody as uncomfortable as hell. On the flip side, if someone just tells me, "Look, Qlip. I care for you, but I just need time before we resume our friendship.", then my heart swells with admiration because that shows care to me and I back off. It takes investment to be blunt.

Of course if we had no particularly strong connection in the first place, and I find you're managing me, I get intrigued and play with boundaries.

EDIT: oops, I'm actually sp/sx.. gotta change the profile..