User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 12

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    3

    Default Instinctual Variants in 9s

    I've been studying the enneagram obsessively lately, but I still can't figure out my instinctual variants. I feel like I am dominant in all of them and deficient in all of them at the same time. I think it's because I'm a type 9; I relate to everything!

    I'm also really confused about how sx manifests itself in 9s. The descriptions of sx-lasts sound a lot like the characteristics of unhealthy 9s. Here's a description I found:
    "subvert the fiery energy. Tamping down the fire. Procrastinate, don’t honor your passion, hard to act on the passion—postpone. Avoid anything stimulating. Inertia. Fear of being a boring person and amazed that someone wants to spend time with you. Afraid of having no juice."

    I experience some of the things above, especially the procrastination, inertia, and fearing that I am boring, yet I'm not sure if I'm really an sx last because I do tend to chase after intensity. I'm drawn towards things and people I feel will make me passionate because I feel like I am completely lacking in passion. I'm attracted to larger than life personalities and over- the top art, but I am far from over the top or larger than life. I am even-keeled but love the melodramatic. When I first discovered the enneagram I reeeaaally wanted to be a 4 because it just sounded like the most appealing type to me. I'm a paradox!

    So what does this mean? Am I an sx last looking to fill the things I feel deficient in, or are these just typical 9ish traits and I'm completely misunderstanding instinctual variants?

  2. #2
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Those are pretty typical traits for average-to-unhealthy 9s, yeah. Since you say you do seek out intensity of experience or emotion, it seems unlikely you're sx-last.

    Scroll to the end of this page for more information on how the various instinctual stackings pan out in e9. They don't necessarily manifest themselves in exactly the same way as they do for other types.

  3. #3
    Member CheshireCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I'm not sure if this will help or confuse your more, but I found it interesting


    11:17

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    I'm not sure if this will help or confuse your more, but I found it interesting
    Very interesting, thanks for the links! I find it fascinating that the sx 9 is described as a "dispassionate wallflower" and "invisible". It seems contradictory with most sx descriptions, but maybe that's what I am after all. I can really relate to the feeling of needing to suck in the energy of someone or something else, because I feel that energy lacking in myself and it feels like a big black void inside of me. I idealize everything except myself and try to become something outside of myself to find meaning and purpose.

    I found the SO description really relatable too!

  5. #5
    Member CheshireCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for the links! I find it fascinating that the sx 9 is described as a "dispassionate wallflower" and "invisible". It seems contradictory with most sx descriptions, but maybe that's what I am after all. I can really relate to the feeling of needing to suck in the energy of someone or something else, because I feel that energy lacking in myself and it feels like a big black void inside of me. I idealize everything except myself and try to become something outside of myself to find meaning and purpose.

    I found the SO description really relatable too!
    He has refreshing insights into the different types and their instincts.

    I didn't really relate to the description of the Self Preservation nine...It took a lot of investigative work to conclude I was an SP. That's partly because, securing a partner is a part of the SP instinct. Without one, you are anxious. You will find upon researching the manifestations of instinct, that an anxious SP seeking a partner will act with it's SX instinct. That is they will pursue others until they secure a partner... then once the partner is secure, the SX simmers down and isn't so invasive. I actually relate very well with the SX instinct of the nine Though it is my instinctual "blind spot". Of course, the intensity of wanting to merge is hard not to notice compared to the tameness of comfort seeking. It took me some unbiased investigative work to figure it out. I have been in a 5 year relationship when my eye didn't wander at all, I was 100% committed. Then on the flip side to that, I've been in a very unsatisfying 3-year-relationship that I was constantly day-dreaming about finding someone else to merge with.

    lol. I spent a good while in the bath tub last night reading some in-depth articles about instinctual variations.... which is why I have so much to say :P

    I wish you well on your journey of self-discovery

  6. #6
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for the links! I find it fascinating that the sx 9 is described as a "dispassionate wallflower" and "invisible". It seems contradictory with most sx descriptions, but maybe that's what I am after all. I can really relate to the feeling of needing to suck in the energy of someone or something else, because I feel that energy lacking in myself and it feels like a big black void inside of me. I idealize everything except myself and try to become something outside of myself to find meaning and purpose.

    I found the SO description really relatable too!
    Feeling the need to feed vampirically on someone's energy to satisfy your own inner void sounds very sx/sp. sx/so's typically vibe lighter, intense but more like a beam of piercing sunshine than cold nocturnal sx/sp thirst.

  7. #7
    Member CheshireCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Feeling the need to feed vampirically on someone's energy to satisfy your own inner void sounds very sx/sp. sx/so's typically vibe lighter, intense but more like a beam of piercing sunshine than cold nocturnal sx/sp thirst.
    You seem pretty confident in your knowledge. How did you come to the conclusion on your instinctual variants? How did you relate?
    "The unconscious mind should be called the super-conconsious mind."

  8. #8
    011235813
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireCat View Post
    You seem pretty confident in your knowledge. How did you come to the conclusion on your instinctual variants? How did you relate?
    It's a combination of reading about them on various websites (e.g. here and here) and identifying patterns of vibe and behavior in different people, both here and IRL.

    One system divides the variants into various realms of being. This is all based on subjective vibe and aura; but it does ring true for me, and many people seem to agree that it resonates with them as well. Here they are:

    sp/so (animals) = practical cooperation ~ revering the work of the harvest, the beasts of the field, the ‘fat of the land’
    so/sx (humans) = multifaceted/multidirectional attraction ~ the radiant festival of the four corners of the Earth
    sx/sp (hungry ghosts) = urgent bonding / ‘unfortunate’ belonging ~ the perpetually orthogonal embrace of the seeker/searcher
    sx/so (gods) = cultural revolutionary ~ attractive social catalyst, steering popular culture/the arts/the cultural zeitgeist in a new direction
    so/sp (titans) = culture warrior ~ social change by force and/or eternal/higher principle, the lightning thundering ‘voice of God’
    sp/sx (Hell) = acultural solipsism ~ counterculture original, underbelly exposure, brooding mysterian, the fermenting underground

    I relate well to the sp/sx description. It actually solidified my understanding of why I was testing so consistently as a 4 even though I'm not actually a 4, nor have 4 anywhere in my tritype. It also explains some off-hand comments I get from so/sx and sx/so friends and family (my 2w1 so/sx mom routinely calls me "vampiric" and "anti-life" ).

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I've actually been able to identify the instinctual variants of some friends and loved ones with a fair amount of certainty, but yet I still have trouble with mine! Typical 9 for ya. I've found that I tend to get along really well with so/sx, sp/so, and sx/sp. Have a lot of trouble with so/sp... I don't really have any enemies per say, but I think most of the people who have really rubbed me the wrong way have been of this stacking... I'm not sure why.

    I also test as a 4!

  10. #10
    Member CheshireCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    It's a combination of reading about them on various websites (e.g. here and here) and identifying patterns of vibe and behavior in different people, both here and IRL.
    Thanks for these resources. They were quite illuminating.

    Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    I relate well to the sp/sx description. It actually solidified my understanding of why I was testing so consistently as a 4 even though I'm not actually a 4, nor have 4 anywhere in my tritype. It also explains some off-hand comments I get from so/sx and sx/so friends and family (my 2w1 so/sx mom routinely calls me "vampiric" and "anti-life" ).
    I see. It is a good idea to consider the perceptions of others towards me into this equation. lol.

    Ive determined my variants based on past experience, though I fear that might have been erroneous. It's become glaringly obvious that I have a SO blind spot. That me engaging in others is quite erratic, I'm either pouring a lot of energy into it (and boy is it ungraceful!) or I am very shut-off; quiet and receptive. Self preservation is a definite concern... Reading in that second source it mentions anxiety caused by lack of fulfilling the primary need would cause one to focus on the secondary need. Now, I'm not too fond of reading, but the turbulence of my shitty marriage inspired me to read over a dozen books about health and diet. I was quite engrossed in that endeavor... Makes me think of SX/SP, because my passion for self preservation interests were born out of frustrated needs... Before I ever had a relationship I was just floundering around like a mopey teenager, having crushes on tv characters, and admiring people from afar (desperately wishing for something *magical* to happen, lol).... But I don't think I could rightfully rule out SP/SX, because ... I just couldn't.

    Anything in here screaming one variant over the other?
    "The unconscious mind should be called the super-conconsious mind."

Similar Threads

  1. [Inst] Descriptions of the Enneagram Instinctual Variants
    By BlackCat in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 122
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM
  2. Instinctual Variants in an 'Off the Wall' Scenario Game
    By FalseHeartDothKnow in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 01:54 AM
  3. [Inst] The same instinctual variants in relationships
    By Hopelandic in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 06:07 AM
  4. [Inst] Instinctual variants and relationships
    By BlackCat in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
  5. Instinctual Variants
    By Sunshine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 01:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO