• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] You know you´re a Social dom when...

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Yeah I hate dancing in front of others as well. I feel like I always have an audience wherever I go, and I want my audience to enjoy what I'm doing.

...Well, I "feel" the audience too, but I seriously can't help it. I love love love to dance no matter where I am. I love the way my body feels when I am dancing. It's a pretty addictive feeling. I seriously could care less if you don't like my dancing as long as I am comfortable with it. ...Well I mean, I try to care, but I seriously seriously cannot help it and then I give up caring.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
...Well, I "feel" the audience too, but I seriously can't help it. I love love love to dance no matter where I am. I love the way my body feels when I am dancing. It's a pretty addictive feeling. I seriously could care less if you don't like my dancing as long as I am comfortable with it. ...Well I mean, I try to care, but I seriously seriously cannot help it and then I give up caring.

Well if I could learn to dance well, then I would love the audience though.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me, the way I experience feeling "seen" is just being very aware that I am seen.

Sometimes it does manifest as being too anxious about judgment to act. On one of my earliest dates with my boyfriend, I was so nervous about eating messily in front of him that I barely ate at all. Ironically, he took that as me not liking the food or the restaurant, which was not true at all - I wanted to shove that chicken sandwich in my face! But I was so, so nervous of him seeing me be sloppy, and I have always had body image issues, so I shy very far from doing anything people might perceive as gluttonous.

But other times, it manifests as purposefully being the one to break convention. Not long ago, my mom and I were waiting outside a fancy restaurant for the rest of our party to arrive. It was packed indoors and out, and there was nowhere left to sit. We'd been travelling for days and were both exhausted. She asked me if she thought it'd be all right if we sat on the curb, and I said absolutely. Just for reference, she - sp/so - was more hesitant than me. That could be attributed to any number of factors - her being FJ, her being 2w1, her being of an older and more conservative generation, etc. Regardless, I plopped right on down. The way I saw it, they didn't have any other seating, it was outside the establishment, and we chose a place that was out of everyone's way. It might have been unconventional, but it certainly wasn't hurting anyone, and if anyone was really upset about it, there are a lot more productive things they could be doing with that energy. I was very aware of what we were doing and how others might perceive it, but I also made the judgment call that it wasn't a "bad" action to take. And yes, I would have done it if I were alone, too.

Even though I'm a Social 6, which is supposedly a sort of stuffy type, I'm still a little quirky and I own it. I generally dress how I feel like dressing, based on what I find aesthetic and what feels comfortable. I don't really like sitting on chairs unless they're big and squishy - for whatever reason I find standard sitting position fairly uncomfortable - and I seek out ledges and clean floor spaces and wide enough seats to sit cross-legged when I can. I don't think I've danced at the grocery store lately, but I used to twirl down all the aisles when I was little, I always get a kid's cookie, and I do tend to strike up informal games of hide-and-seek with my shopping partner. :D

My point being, I don't think the variants necessarily force or repress behavior so much as they create higher levels of awareness of how your actions will impact a certain sphere, so you may be more or less likely to act because you understand the consequences of those actions more or less fully.

The Great One said:
Well I don't care if people agree with what I say, I just don't want to offend them.

For me, in this thread, I don't want to post something that's not actually related to being a Social dom, so I try to do a quick analysis of whether or not the vast majority of Social dominants would agree with that statement. I do think that sort of scanning of everyone else is a Social-related habit!

More saliently, I don't always need people to agree with me, but I do always want them to be able to understand what I'm saying. I alter my communication from pure self-expression to tailored language because I don't feel like there is any point in outward expression (besides catharsis, I suppose) if it's not able to be received by my intended audience.

brainheart said:
My social dom husband constantly monitors how what he or anyone else says comes across, and whether it alienates or includes people. [...] Then he will get irritated by what I say, thinking that I'm deliberately separating myself from the group or what have you. [...] I have a hard time seeing why honesty is more offensive than sugar-coating things. Sugar coating things drives me nuts.

I know that what I'm saying could be interpreted as Fe vs Fi, but there is no way my husband is anything but an ESFP, so I can't help but conclude it's a social instinct issue. Once I realized this, and that the majority of our disagreements have to do with social instinct concerns, it became obvious that I'm social last.

Ah, yes, I do this too. I actually didn't realize that some other people didn't do this until maybe a year or two ago. It's very natural to me. I think I'm a little hypersensitive because of 6 thought pattern tendencies (ie, constantly trying to prevent future problems), but I too have struggled some with monitoring the communication of my boyfriend and my mom especially, because sometimes one or the other side will say something that comes off poorly to the other, but I realize that it's not meant like that. The funny thing is how alike they are!

Anyway, I actually love blunt people - I wouldn't say I'm for sugar-coating - I think I put a lot of thought into trying to understand the "cultures" of the parties in question, in terms of what is seen as acceptable and what is seen as not okay. I think some people's native "cultures" are very different and then a little smoothing can go far in terms of opening lines of communication.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION], [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

I have a hunch that people who friend every person they come across on Facebook and remain friends with everyone are SO. (I'm talking about the people who have like 2,000 friends on Facebook.) What say you? True? Sometimes true? Completely off-base?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION], [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION], [MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

I have a hunch that people who friend every person they come across on Facebook and remain friends with everyone are SO. (I'm talking about the people who have like 2,000 friends on Facebook.) What say you? True? Sometimes true? Completely off-base?

Haha seems like it might be plausible.
Fwiw I totally don't. I'm like who are you!? Oh we went to hs together?? Hmm... Yeah don't care... We weren't even really friends then so nope... Or... You're friends with my sister?? Oh okay... Still nope. :D

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Haha seems like it might be plausible.
Fwiw I totally don't. I'm like who are you!? Oh we went to hs together?? Hmm... Yeah don't care... We weren't even really friends then so nope... Or... You're friends with my sister?? Oh okay... Still nope. :D
lol! I can see where you're coming from. I post all kinds of private sentiments on Facebook because it's generally people I know quite well, so I would feel uncomfortable with every person I've ever met intruding to say the least.

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp

I've seen people I'd type as sx/so do that, but I couldn't see any social-lasts with that many.

And I think social-firsts can be the opposite way, too. I'm pretty sure that I'm so/sx, and before I deleted my Facebook, I was really deliberate about friending people because I was worried about potential irl repercussions.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] yeah it probably often is. I ran through my FB account and jotted down averages for people whose stackings I felt I had a pretty good feel for... here's what I got:

so/sp 1,000
so/sp 900
so/sp 800
so/sp 700
so/sp 500
so/sp 200

mean 683
n 6

so/sx 1,500
so/sx 1,400
so/sx 1,300
so/sx 1,000
so/sx 800
so/sx 700
so/sx 500*
so/sx 300

mean 937
n 8

sp/so 800
sp/so 700
sp/so 600
sp/so 500
sp/so 400
sp/so 300
sp/so 200
sp/so 100

mean 450
n 8

sp/sx 2,500
sp/sx 500
sp/sx 300

mean 1100
w/o outlier 400
n 3 ; 2

sx/sp 500
sx/sp 400
sx/sp 100
sx/sp 100

mean 275
n 4

sx/so 1,400
sx/so 1,000
sx/so 700
sx/so 500
sx/so 300
sx/so 100

mean 667
n 6

*me

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16139]Honor[/MENTION] yeah it probably often is. I ran through my FB account and jotted down averages for people whose stackings I felt I had a pretty good feel for... here's what I got:

so/sp 1,000
so/sp 900
so/sp 800
so/sp 700
so/sp 500
so/sp 200

mean 683
n 6

so/sx 1,500
so/sx 1,400
so/sx 1,300
so/sx 1,000
so/sx 800
so/sx 700
so/sx 500*
so/sx 300

mean 937
n 8

sp/so 800
sp/so 700
sp/so 600
sp/so 500
sp/so 400
sp/so 300
sp/so 200
sp/so 100

mean 450
n 8

sp/sx 2,500
sp/sx 500
sp/sx 300

mean 1100
w/o outlier 400
n 3 ; 2

sx/sp 500
sx/sp 400
sx/sp 100
sx/sp 100

mean 275
n 4

sx/so 1,400
sx/so 1,000
sx/so 700
sx/so 500
sx/so 300
sx/so 100

mean 667
n 6

*me

This is great!

However, I analysed your data and found (t-student) no significant difference between so-doms, sp-doms and sx-doms

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so

so/sp 1,000
so/sp 900
so/sp 800
so/sp 700
so/sp 500
so/sp 200

mean 683
n 6

so/sx 1,500
so/sx 1,400
so/sx 1,300
so/sx 1,000
so/sx 800
so/sx 700
so/sx 500*
so/sx 300

mean 937
n 8

sp/so 800
sp/so 700
sp/so 600
sp/so 500
sp/so 400
sp/so 300
sp/so 200
sp/so 100

mean 450
n 8

sp/sx 2,500
sp/sx 500
sp/sx 300

mean 1100
w/o outlier 400
n 3 ; 2

sx/sp 500
sx/sp 400
sx/sp 100
sx/sp 100

mean 275
n 4

sx/so 1,400
sx/so 1,000
sx/so 700
sx/so 500
sx/so 300
sx/so 100

mean 667
n 6

*me

skylights, you are so awesome! i'm going to do this too

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is great!

However, I analysed your data and found (t-student) no significant difference between so-doms, sp-doms and sx-doms

sweet!! thanks!! i forget how to do stastical testing xD

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
sweet!! thanks!! i forget how to do stastical testing xD
got about the same results as you, btw! interesting that sx/sp tend to have fewer fb friends than sp/sx. i justified this by figuring that sx's probably get into more fights (or feel more strongly one way or another about people and are thus pickier) than so or sp types.

B

brainheart

got about the same results as you, btw! interesting that sx/sp tend to have fewer fb friends than sp/sx. i justified this by figuring that sx's probably get into more fights (or feel more strongly one way or another about people and are thus pickier) than so or sp types.

Pickier, yes. Also, I find facebook incredibly dissatisfying. There is no thrill to it. It's just people sharing information about their kids or some political cause or what they ate for dinner. Bleh. Who gives a shit?

I always feel more alone and depressed when I get off it. This is not the sort of human interaction I seek. I have a handful of fb friends and it still feels like too much. I avoid fb as much as possible.

S

Stansmith

I find Social media pretty boring and repetitive, partly because I barely get attention on it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

For me, the way I experience feeling "seen" is just being very aware that I am seen.

Sometimes it does manifest as being too anxious about judgment to act. On one of my earliest dates with my boyfriend, I was so nervous about eating messily in front of him that I barely ate at all. Ironically, he took that as me not liking the food or the restaurant, which was not true at all - I wanted to shove that chicken sandwich in my face! But I was so, so nervous of him seeing me be sloppy, and I have always had body image issues, so I shy very far from doing anything people might perceive as gluttonous.

But other times, it manifests as purposefully being the one to break convention. Not long ago, my mom and I were waiting outside a fancy restaurant for the rest of our party to arrive. It was packed indoors and out, and there was nowhere left to sit. We'd been travelling for days and were both exhausted. She asked me if she thought it'd be all right if we sat on the curb, and I said absolutely. Just for reference, she - sp/so - was more hesitant than me. That could be attributed to any number of factors - her being FJ, her being 2w1, her being of an older and more conservative generation, etc. Regardless, I plopped right on down. The way I saw it, they didn't have any other seating, it was outside the establishment, and we chose a place that was out of everyone's way. It might have been unconventional, but it certainly wasn't hurting anyone, and if anyone was really upset about it, there are a lot more productive things they could be doing with that energy. I was very aware of what we were doing and how others might perceive it, but I also made the judgment call that it wasn't a "bad" action to take. And yes, I would have done it if I were alone, too.

Even though I'm a Social 6, which is supposedly a sort of stuffy type, I'm still a little quirky and I own it. I generally dress how I feel like dressing, based on what I find aesthetic and what feels comfortable. I don't really like sitting on chairs unless they're big and squishy - for whatever reason I find standard sitting position fairly uncomfortable - and I seek out ledges and clean floor spaces and wide enough seats to sit cross-legged when I can. I don't think I've danced at the grocery store lately, but I used to twirl down all the aisles when I was little, I always get a kid's cookie, and I do tend to strike up informal games of hide-and-seek with my shopping partner.

My point being, I don't think the variants necessarily force or repress behavior so much as they create higher levels of awareness of how your actions will impact a certain sphere, so you may be more or less likely to act because you understand the consequences of those actions more or less fully.

Yeah the curb thing wouldn't really be a big deal to me, but I think I know what you mean by this and you have illustrated the point well. I do similar things and worry what others will think as well, but I'm not sure if I can attribute this to an SO variant or a 3w2 fix. For instance, I used to drive everywhere in my car, but then the damn thing got repossessed and now I'm takin the bus (cars are so damn expensive to own). Anyway, when I first started taking it, I started looking everywhere around me and I almost "felt" eyes on me watching me and telling me, "You're a loser for taking this bus and not having a car! Real men can afford cars!" So this haunted me for a while, but after taking the bus for a long while, I'm used to it now. However I still feel like a loser deep inside for taking it, and can't wait until I can afford a damn car again!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

Yeah the curb thing wouldn't really be a big deal to me, but I think I know what you mean by this and you have illustrated the point well. I do similar things and worry what others will think as well, but I'm not sure if I can attribute this to an SO variant or a 3w2 fix. For instance, I used to drive everywhere in my car, but then the damn thing got repossessed and now I'm takin the bus (cars are so damn expensive to own). Anyway, when I first started taking it, I started looking everywhere around me and I almost "felt" eyes on me watching me and telling me, "You're a loser for taking this bus and not having a car! Real men can afford cars!" So this haunted me for a while, but after taking the bus for a long while, I'm used to it now. However I still feel like a loser deep inside for taking it, and can't wait until I can afford a damn car again!

With me, I worry about what my actions will be interpreted as. I have plenty of issues regarding that.

I also think that being So-Dom makes me conform, even when it hurts...

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
With me, I worry about what my actions will be interpreted as. I have plenty of issues regarding that.

I also think that being So-Dom makes me conform, even when it hurts...

I conform to avoid getting hurt sometimes. I don't do it to "fit in".

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I conform to avoid getting hurt sometimes. I don't do it to "fit in".

I actually desire to stand out, but I'm not going do something that I'll regret years down the road...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How would you regret it?

Well, for one thing, the "hivemind" around me might not like me trying to be overtly different and might hurt me, OR somebody might misinterpret my having fun and my desire to stand out as a personal flaw...
...The way the world works now, I must think far into the future about every little decision I make.