• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] So Instinct?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a hard time thinking about my So instinct. I know I'm a people person, but that seemed pretty clear based on my personality type. Any thoughts on how an So preference plays out as a separate force?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're asking something rather basic here. Social instinct is something other than being a people person. It would manifest in things like worrying about social status, one's place in society, one's place in groups etc.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, So manifests in a desire to be part of a group or movement. ENFPs who are also So last still love people, but probably prefer one on one interactions to a greater degree.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, nice! I mean, I do care about what people think of me I guess. I want to be liked by the group and respected in society, but the idea of high social status is a big turn off for me actually. But I totally LOVE being a part of something bigger. The idea of a bunch of people acting as a body, all the different strengths and weaknesses working together, the power for change and pure energy output is exhilarating to me. This includes crowds at concerts, classrooms, as well as more important social or political groups. Does that sound like So?

S

Stansmith

For me, So manifests in a desire to be part of a group or movement. ENFPs who are also So last still love people, but probably prefer one on one interactions to a greater degree.

I want to "belong" in a broad sense but not necessarily be part of a larger movement.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Oh, nice! I mean, I do care about what people think of me I guess. I want to be liked by the group and respected in society, but the idea of high social status is a big turn off for me actually. But I totally LOVE being a part of something bigger. The idea of a bunch of people acting as a body, all the different strengths and weaknesses working together, the power for change and pure energy output is exhilarating to me. This includes crowds at concerts, classrooms, as well as more important social or political groups. Does that sound like So?
This just sounds ENFP. I think of the instinctual variants more like this...let's say you are having issues with someone. SP variants will be the most likely to end their relationship with that person because they don't form that many close bonds to begin with, finding most people unreliable and tending to focus on being secure on their own. SX variants are kind of a safety in numbers type. They form very close bonds with a select few and if someone ends up being untrustworthy, they'll detach from that person. They find that many people aren't worthy of their trust. SO variants tend not to expect to have issues with anyone and want to preserve their bond with everyone.

I believe I'm an SO. Oh also, I'm not at all anxious in relationships. I rarely worry that a friend or a boyfriend is going to end their relationship with me because even if they did, hey, there's a ton more people out there. Sounds kind of harsh when I put it like that, and I don't mean it to be. But I know that even if I was sad for a while, there's a world of people out there, most of whom I'd really like. And I find that most people respond positively to me. That's SO. You strike me as possibly SX, nicolita.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This just sounds ENFP. I think of the instinctual variants more like this...let's say you are having issues with someone. SP variants will be the most likely to end their relationship with that person because they don't form that many close bonds to begin with, finding most people unreliable and tending to focus on being secure on their own. SX variants are kind of a safety in numbers type. They form very close bonds with a select few and if someone ends up being untrustworthy, they'll turn on that person. SO variants tend not to expect to have issues with anyone and want to preserve their bond with everyone.

I believe I'm an SO.

That does sound more like an "instinct." And yes, that is descriptive of how I think and act in relationships. My husband is an Sx, and based on what he's told me about past relationships, he fits that description as well. Thank you! It's sometimes hard for me to parse out separate parts or forces in my behavior and personality.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
That does sound more like an "instinct." And yes, that is descriptive of how I think and act in relationships. My husband is an Sx, and based on what he's told me about past relationships, he fits that description as well. Thank you! It's sometimes hard for me to parse out separate parts or forces in my behavior and personality.
Sure thing!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you guys are missing the mark a bit

I have a hard time thinking about my So instinct. I know I'm a people person, but that seemed pretty clear based on my personality type. Any thoughts on how an So preference plays out as a separate force?
the Social instinct is about awareness, ability to navigate/network with groups of people, how you get the scoop on "what's going on". Social types keep tabs on a wide range of people and activities and tend to prefer dynamic, lively environments with lots going on that they can be part of.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like lively environments! i wanna be so too!! :smile:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you're a 729, it comes with the territory

yay!!

btw...i think nicolita could be sx too...but did you/she day no? but her husband was?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yay!!

btw...i think nicolita could be sx too...but did you/she day no? but her husband was?

I did say that. After reading this, though, I took the test again and came out 75% sx and 50% so. That was only my second time, and I really think I have a hard time rating myself on those questions! I think what keeps me a little unsure of sx is that I can get a little distant or aloof when the situation becomes too intimate. I don't really like this about myself, and I don't always act that way. I definitely think el husband is sx though. He's very good at focusing on one person and prefers intimate settings and intense one-on-one interactions to group settings (he's an introvert too though, so I'm still working on separating all the different forces). I do love chemistry and can become very focused on one person. I'm also very loyal and pour myself into my relationships. I have some great friends who have been around forever. I just sometimes feel like people can feel more attached to me than I feel like I allow myself to be open to. Like I don't know how they feel so close to me, but I'm glad they do because I feel close to them too. It's reassuring, because I can feel bummed out looking back on an interaction and realizing I was less engaged than I would have wanted. I'm glad they still felt a connection to me through it or despite it. Ok, end ramble.

Edit: Just took it again, with more coffee in me and a more level head, and I still came out sx/so. Hmm.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a very good ENFP So friend(?), and she asked me the other day, "Why don't you ever invite me to hang out with your friends?". To her, I was remiss in something important. For me, it just isn't something that comes natural to my thinking. I invite people when I want to spend time with them or show them something. I go hang out in groups when somebody invites me along that I want to hang out with. I like the groups, because I get to meet new somebodies. I don't start groups.

She's a lot more political than I am. Issues are important to me on level that is personal, if I crusade against something, I'm fixing something that is in my way in an almost selfish manner, even though I disagree with it in general principal.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a very good ENFP So friend(?), and she asked me the other day, "Why don't you ever invite me to hang out with your friends?". To her, I was remiss in something important. For me, it just isn't something that comes natural to my thinking. I invite people when I want to spend time with them or show them something. I go hang out in groups when somebody invites me along that I want to hang out with. I like the groups, because I get to meet new somebodies. I don't start groups.

She's a lot more political than I am. Issues are important to me on level that is personal, if I crusade against something, I'm fixing something that is in my way in an almost selfish manner, even though I disagree with it in general principal.

This is really valuable! My greatest joy is friends of friends, and friends of mine who don't know other groups of friends of mine becoming friends.