Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Default So Instinct?

I have a hard time thinking about my So instinct. I know I'm a people person, but that seemed pretty clear based on my personality type. Any thoughts on how an So preference plays out as a separate force?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

You're asking something rather basic here. Social instinct is something other than being a people person. It would manifest in things like worrying about social status, one's place in society, one's place in groups etc.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

For me, So manifests in a desire to be part of a group or movement. ENFPs who are also So last still love people, but probably prefer one on one interactions to a greater degree.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Oh, nice! I mean, I do care about what people think of me I guess. I want to be liked by the group and respected in society, but the idea of high social status is a big turn off for me actually. But I totally LOVE being a part of something bigger. The idea of a bunch of people acting as a body, all the different strengths and weaknesses working together, the power for change and pure energy output is exhilarating to me. This includes crowds at concerts, classrooms, as well as more important social or political groups. Does that sound like So?

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    For me, So manifests in a desire to be part of a group or movement. ENFPs who are also So last still love people, but probably prefer one on one interactions to a greater degree.
    I want to "belong" in a broad sense but not necessarily be part of a larger movement.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Oh, nice! I mean, I do care about what people think of me I guess. I want to be liked by the group and respected in society, but the idea of high social status is a big turn off for me actually. But I totally LOVE being a part of something bigger. The idea of a bunch of people acting as a body, all the different strengths and weaknesses working together, the power for change and pure energy output is exhilarating to me. This includes crowds at concerts, classrooms, as well as more important social or political groups. Does that sound like So?
    This just sounds ENFP. I think of the instinctual variants more like this...let's say you are having issues with someone. SP variants will be the most likely to end their relationship with that person because they don't form that many close bonds to begin with, finding most people unreliable and tending to focus on being secure on their own. SX variants are kind of a safety in numbers type. They form very close bonds with a select few and if someone ends up being untrustworthy, they'll detach from that person. They find that many people aren't worthy of their trust. SO variants tend not to expect to have issues with anyone and want to preserve their bond with everyone.

I believe I'm an SO. Oh also, I'm not at all anxious in relationships. I rarely worry that a friend or a boyfriend is going to end their relationship with me because even if they did, hey, there's a ton more people out there. Sounds kind of harsh when I put it like that, and I don't mean it to be. But I know that even if I was sad for a while, there's a world of people out there, most of whom I'd really like. And I find that most people respond positively to me. That's SO. You strike me as possibly SX, nicolita.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    This just sounds ENFP. I think of the instinctual variants more like this...let's say you are having issues with someone. SP variants will be the most likely to end their relationship with that person because they don't form that many close bonds to begin with, finding most people unreliable and tending to focus on being secure on their own. SX variants are kind of a safety in numbers type. They form very close bonds with a select few and if someone ends up being untrustworthy, they'll turn on that person. SO variants tend not to expect to have issues with anyone and want to preserve their bond with everyone.

I believe I'm an SO.
    That does sound more like an "instinct." And yes, that is descriptive of how I think and act in relationships. My husband is an Sx, and based on what he's told me about past relationships, he fits that description as well. Thank you! It's sometimes hard for me to parse out separate parts or forces in my behavior and personality.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

That does sound more like an "instinct." And yes, that is descriptive of how I think and act in relationships. My husband is an Sx, and based on what he's told me about past relationships, he fits that description as well. Thank you! It's sometimes hard for me to parse out separate parts or forces in my behavior and personality.
    Sure thing!

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

you guys are missing the mark a bit

I have a hard time thinking about my So instinct. I know I'm a people person, but that seemed pretty clear based on my personality type. Any thoughts on how an So preference plays out as a separate force?
    the Social instinct is about awareness, ability to navigate/network with groups of people, how you get the scoop on "what's going on". Social types keep tabs on a wide range of people and activities and tend to prefer dynamic, lively environments with lots going on that they can be part of.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i like lively environments! i wanna be so too!!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison