User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of real/fake so much as expressions can be used for so many different purposes... They can be reflections of intrapersonal status, comfort/discomfort (probably likely with sp), external indicators (probably likely with so), or intentional messages (probably likely with sx). The politician smiling may not be smiling so much because he is personally happy but because he is trying to engage the sympathy of his constituents, which could be underhanded in a way but is also simply fallout of human nature - of course we will tend to like a more "personable" politician better than a "cold" one. People are more likely to buy something from someone they feel comfortable around, too, hence the "used car salesman" smile. It's fake in the sense of they may not really be excited, but it's genuine in the sense of really wanting to engage others, for whatever reason. Just consider the politician who is having a shitty day and faking smiles, but is fighting for a bill to pass that you are an ardent supporter of. Of course it would be preferable for him to garner support through smiling, for the sake of the bill.
    Thank you for not making us sound like a bunch of creepers.

TBH I did smile like this the other day (and realised I was doing it). I got stopped by the cops at a random breath testing station. I hadn't done anything wrong, but for some reason I feel like I have every time I encounter the police. I pulled up, wound down the window and smiled in an attempt to be pleasant and appreciative of the police. Instead I just sat there, grinning like an idiot at the cop, who stared back at me, humourlessly. At the time I thought, "what the hell am I doing! Stop smiling like that, she'll think you've done something wrong", but I couldn't stop myself. Obviously she did suspect something, because she really examined me carefully, and after breath testing me (and passing) she also checked my warrant of fitness and registration (which were fine, fortunately). She then took one last suspicious look at me (because I was still smiling), and then let me go. I drove off wondering what the hell is wrong with me.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I still don't understand this thread. Either it's a smile or it's not? I mean yeah, some people have genuinely creepy or disturbing smiles but I never thought that would be instincts related. If anything, I can see it being more related to cognitive function preference and upbringing.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

WALMART

I'm almost positive all of Mr. Biden's smiles are genuine. That is one happy fucker.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Minus the Qigong element (or with it, if you're into that), this:

Why Happiness is Just a Fake Smile Away

Quote Originally Posted by Kamishi
    I mean yeah, some people have genuinely creepy or disturbing smiles but I never thought that would be instincts related. If anything, I can see it being more related to cognitive function preference and upbringing.
    Perhaps so, but I think there could definitely be an element of instinct in why, how, and when we choose to smile. Like Southern Kross said, she smiled to convey pleasantness and appreciation when facing a public authority - a socially-oriented communication. A self-preservational dominant may also smile, but perhaps more to convey their personal lack of threat. A sexual dominant might smile in that situation, too, to make personal connection with the officer. Of course it could all have to do with other elements, too, but I think there is a lot to be said for non-verbal communication patterns and instinct.

Minus the Qigong element (or with it, if you're into that), this:

Why Happiness is Just a Fake Smile Away
    Nice... "Fake what you want to become."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Perhaps so, but I think there could definitely be an element of instinct in why, how, and when we choose to smile. Like Southern Kross said, she smiled to convey pleasantness and appreciation when facing a public authority - a socially-oriented communication. A self-preservational dominant may also smile, but perhaps more to convey their personal lack of threat. A sexual dominant might smile in that situation, too, to make personal connection with the officer. Of course it could all have to do with other elements, too, but I think there is a lot to be said for non-verbal communication patterns and instinct.
    Maybe, but assumes people care about smiling as a social cue to begin with. I don't really smile.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kamishi View Post
    Maybe, but assumes people care about smiling as a social cue to begin with. I don't really smile.
    Lol, fair enough. Need a little ENFP in your life?

tumblr_mf1h8xsQkr1rndf4xo1_500.jpg

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

If ENFP means smiling more, than no. By the way, that's the kind of comment my ESFJ grandmother tended to tell me when I was younger. It always pissed me off. I smile whenever I feel like smiling, thank you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kamishi View Post
    If ENFP means smiling more, than no. By the way, that's the kind of comment my ESFJ grandmother tended to tell me when I was younger. It always pissed me off. I smile whenever I feel like smiling, thank you.
    Oh, it was only a joke... the implication from the picture was meant to be that ENFPs are a little TOO smiley... in any case, I'm sorry that I've offended you. I'm not particularly invested in controlling anyone's expressions.

I think people who encourage smiling tend to use it as a tool themselves... like a signal to others to encourage positivity both intra- and interpersonally. I'm guessing your grandmother just wanted you to be happy and figured you would be even happier if you were to share your happiness as part of a collective happiness so that everyone can enjoy it and be happy for and with you, too. Maybe it tends to be an ExFx thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I relate to what Southern Kross and skylights have been saying so far; I'm the same, with smiles. I use them to convey particular messages to people: "I enjoyed what you just said", "I'm glad to see you today", "I am open and friendly and have nothing to hide from the cops". I'm not sure how I can describe it better than: I use smiling as a tool, but it's still 100% genuine. So... not to brag, but I'm pretty photogenic.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Nice... "Fake what you want to become."

That's one of my mantras. Decide what kind of person you want to be, and then be that person. Behave in the way that you want to behave, even if it's hard, and eventually it'll become a habit.

/3 fix

~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!