• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] Understanding the social variant in it's entirety

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I am trying to fully understand the social variant because I am confused as to what my variants are. From my understanding, the social variant involves the needing to belong to something larger than yourself, the ability to understand social webs very easily (i.e., this person knows this person, that knows this person, that knows this person), the need for social prestige, they like to know what's going in their community, they like to keep up with the news, the need to create social connections, and often times they enjoy socializing. Does this about sum it up?

Also, I am very confused as to how the social variant compares to the 3w2 fix. It seems like a lot of aspects of the social variant could be confused with a 3w2 fix, could it not? Especially, when it comes to the need for social prestige.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am trying to fully understand the social variant because I am confused as to what my variants are. From my understanding, the social variant involves the needing to belong to something larger than yourself, the ability to understand social webs very easily (i.e., this person knows this person, that knows this person, that knows this person), the need for social prestige, they like to know what's going in their community, they like to keep up with the news, the need to create social connections, and often times they enjoy socializing. Does this about sum it up?
I think they might also be more likely to be diplomatic for the sake of maintaining group harmony, preserving the dynamics of the group as they currently stand, and keeping their established place within the group. And if something does end up disrupting the group, they might end up being pretty good at either defusing the conflict, or working around it for the benefit of themselves and others they care about. Social strategy, I guess.

I'm guessing plenty of So-doms don't really care about being part of "the group", but even if they don't, they probably have a pretty good instinctual understanding of who's friends with whom, the group's relationship/power dynamics, etc -- even when looking from the outside in.

I dunno. Other people could probably explain it better.
Also, I am very confused as to how the social variant compares to the 3w2 fix. It seems like a lot of aspects of the social variant could be confused with a 3w2 fix, could it not? Especially, when it comes to the need for social prestige.
It's not really about prestige unless you have a 3 fix, as far as I can tell. It's about having a place in the community, regardless of what kind of place it is. It's about knowing where you stand within the group.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Moreso projections than needs or even demands.

As an e5 rover cactus, I'll actively scan through situations and engage engage engage because it distracts me from thinking, which lends some credence to your e3 observation, but I genuinely enjoy learning subtle nuances that creep in long after. I've always romanticized smiling- says so much with NO effort whatsoever, knowing how easily an interaction can snowball into ~sa~3$()-) )#R*_J u- YEAH, the freedom it imbues and inspires you to explore.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think they might also be more likely to be diplomatic for the sake of maintaining group harmony, preserving the dynamics of the group as they currently stand, and keeping their established place within the group. And if something does end up disrupting the group, they might end up being pretty good at either defusing the conflict, or working around it for the benefit of themselves and others they care about. Social strategy, I guess.

I'm guessing plenty of So-doms don't really care about being part of "the group", but even if they don't, they probably have a pretty good instinctual understanding of who's friends with whom, the group's relationship/power dynamics, etc -- even when looking from the outside in.

It's not really about prestige unless you have a 3 fix, as far as I can tell. It's about having a place in the community, regardless of what kind of place it is. It's about knowing where you stand within the group.
This is a pretty good summary of it all. :yes:

As for "prestige", I think 3s tend to emphasise the standard view of it (financial or career based success), whereas other types would have a different spin on the idea (which at first glance, may not even seem to be about "prestige" at all).

Being a 4 So, I'm interested in creative prestige: discerning which people have it, those who should have (IMO), and which people are able to perceive who has it. So for example, I'm a film buff and like following which films are doing well at the box office, getting good reviews, winning awards etc. Note: this doesn't mean I kowtow to success and blindly agree with the general opinion on films. I'm just interested in what people are talking about and how they are responding as a whole; noting and assessing broad trends, undercurrents and the general consensus. I might be persuaded to go see a film if it wins lots of awards and/or gets really good reviews, but it doesn't determine my actual preferences at all. I have not the slightest problem with disagreeing with the general consensus; I just like to know about it regardless

A Social-first of another enneatype might have a completely different focus.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

I really don't really give a damn about being a part of a group. Also, I noticed that you said that the SO first might be interested in preserving the traditions of the group, and I'm not really sure I agree with that. That really seems to be more of the SJ social doms to me. I will admit that I am not bad at understanding social webs though. In fact, that comes really easily to me. I will admit that I do want the prestige though. That is very important to me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7

As for "prestige", I think 3s tend to emphasise the standard view of it (financial or career based success), whereas other types would have a different spin on the idea (which at first glance, may not even seem to be about "prestige" at all).

Being a 4 So, I'm interested in creative prestige: discerning which people have it, those who should have (IMO), and which people are able to perceive who has it. So for example, I'm a film buff and like following which films are doing well at the box office, getting good reviews, winning awards etc. Note: this doesn't mean I kowtow to success and blindly agree with the general opinion on films. I'm just interested in what people are talking about and how they are responding as a whole; noting and assessing broad trends, undercurrents and the general consensus. I might be persuaded to go see a film if it wins lots of awards and/or gets really good reviews, but it doesn't determine my actual preferences at all. I have not the slightest problem with disagreeing with the general consensus; I just like to know about it regardless

Well, I seem to enjoy keeping up with what my friends and family are doing and what's going on in the community, but it's not really a necessity for me. I also enjoy keeping up with celebrity gossip. For instance, I constantly watch TMZ because I like to get the scoop.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

^ Great post. I completely relate to your third (film) paragraph, actually, and I think the bolded can apply to an so-dom of any type (though maybe less frequently with SJs).
I really don't really give a damn about being a part of a group. Also, I noticed that you said that the SO first might be interested in preserving the traditions of the group, and I'm not really sure I agree with that. That really seems to be more of the SJ social doms to me. I will admit that I am not bad at understanding social webs though. In fact, that comes really easily to me. I will admit that I do want the prestige though. That is very important to me.
I definitely did not say "traditions", nor did I mean "traditions" -- what I was referring to by "dynamics of the group" relates more to the nuances of everyone's relationships with one another. As for potential SJ bias that doesn't apply to non-SJs, note that Southern Kross, an INFP 4 so, agreed with my post.
Well, I seem to enjoy keeping up with what my friends and family are doing and what's going on in the community, but it's not really a necessity for me. I also enjoy keeping up with celebrity gossip. For instance, I constantly watch TMZ because I like to get the scoop.
Yeah, you don't sound so-first.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

Do I seem social second?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

Do I seem social second?
I think so. The fact that you said that so-dom stuff is something you like, but don't feel like you 100% need, seems like a common approach for people to have towards their second instinct. (It's probably how I'd describe sx.) If you were so-last, I think you would completely disregard it -- either not noticing it at all, or demonizing it, or something along those lines. You might think of yourself as completely alienated from any group, because you wouldn't have any sort of instinctual knowledge of your place in the social world. (I've heard things like this from sp/sx and sx/sp folks I know on the forum.)

Edit: You seem sx/so to me.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think so. The fact that you said that so-dom stuff is something you like, but don't feel like you 100% need, seems like a common approach for people to have towards their second instinct. (It's probably how I'd describe sx.) If you were so-last, I think you would completely disregard it -- either not noticing it at all, or demonizing it, or something along those lines. You might think of yourself as completely alienated from any group, because you wouldn't have any sort of instinctual knowledge of your place in the social world. (I've heard things like this from sp/sx and sx/sp folks I know on the forum.)

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. However, the real problem with me, is that I have no variant blind spot. Personally, I feel like none of my variants are neglected. I never really relate to the people that are sx last either. I have had several of them tell me that it's very difficult for them to get close to people and often times keep them at an arm's length. I can't do that at all. In fact, my problem is the fact that I get close to people extremely quickly. I literally can fall in love with a girl in a matter of 3 dates, and she is literally all that I ever think about. Plus, me and [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] chat on the phone about relationships and whatnot constantly: we're like fucking teenage girls with that shit, lmao. I literally can not get one of my friends who is sexual last to do that with me.

In addition, Riso-Hudson says that for sx second people, connecting with people is almost like you have a key and others have a socket, and you are just looking for the right key that you fit with. That's pretty much how it is for me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. However, the real problem with me, is that I have no variant blind spot. Personally, I feel like none of my variants are neglected. I never really relate to the people that are sx last either. I have had several of them tell me that it's very difficult for them to get close to people and often times keep them at an arm's length. I can't do that at all. In fact, my problem is the fact that I get close to people extremely quickly. I literally can fall in love with a girl in a matter of 3 dates, and she is literally all that I ever think about. Plus, me and [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION] chat on the phone about relationships and whatnot constantly: we're like fucking teenage girls with that shit, lmao. I literally can not get one of my friends who is sexual last to do that with me.

In addition, Riso-Hudson says that for sx second people, connecting with people is almost like you have a key and others have a socket, and you are just looking for the right key that you fit with. That's pretty much how it is for me.
Well, the blind spot thing isn't universal. It could also be very subtle, or only apply to certain areas of your life. :shrug: I dunno.

I'm sticking with sx/so, for you, because of both boldeds. (I feel like the second bolded could be pretty typical of sx/so, as well.) I really just don't see much sp in you at all.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, the blind spot thing isn't universal. It could also be very subtle, or only apply to certain areas of your life. :shrug: I dunno.

I'm sticking with sx/so, for you, because of both boldeds. (I feel like the second bolded could be pretty typical of sx/so, as well.) I really just don't see much sp in you at all.

Check out this thread. It really tells you a lot about me....

What are my enneagram variants?

One thing that you should really find helpful is the conversation between [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] and me. She asked me to state what I spent the vast majority of my time doing and I said this....

Now to answer your question about how I divide my time:

The vast majority of my time is spent taking care of self-pres needs. I am a computer science student in college and am very concerned with school and maintaining a high GPA because I know that it could lead to jobs and possible internships that could bring me money in the future. In fact, I have a 3.5 GPA right now. I was working a job for about two months, and I was very concerned with my job performance because the job brought me money and I didn't want to lose it. I did however, lose the job because apparently I was too slow at the job. I should also mention that my mental health is not the greatest right now, and I am very preoccupied with getting it back up to par as well. In order to achieve this, I am seeing a hypnotist who helps me to relax and to learn to calm down my mind through meditation and breathing exercises and am also seeing a psycho-therapist. I developed a gagging problem that hinders me from doing hard exercise right now, and I am also trying to save up enough money to get that medical problem taken care of.

I really, really would like to get a woman in my life right now as well. However, I am extremely picky in my selection of mates and have sexual chemistry with only a very select few. I generally only go for highly attractive women that are somewhere between the 8 and 10 category and those are difficult to get. I am constantly trying to improve my looks in order to get these types of women. When, I am actually in a relationship, I spend a great deal of time with the woman that I am dating: we have sex constantly, we talk a lot, and we constantly go places together. The woman almost becomes an obsession to me. I can literally feel so connected to a woman that after only 3 dates, I can be seriously in love with her and be ready to marry her. However, I don't do this because logic kicks in and I realize that this has could potentially hurt me if I don't choose the right woman. Many times I have to reach out to peers to talk some sense into me when this happens, because I fall in love so deeply and so easily that it creates a problem. Plus, I'm not really ready to get married right now and enjoy playing the field when I am able.

I really do almost nothing to contribute to SO. I'm not gonna lie though, I often socially feel like a loser being so broke like I am now and have so little. However, having horrible PTSD makes it very difficult to find and keep a job. I rarely if ever do any type of group activities, and when I do it's with a small circle of friends. I should also mention, that I do enjoy large groups of people and parties but I generally don't socialize with many people there. I generally just attend them to find a mate. I also attend them to make find one or two more friends that I can hang out with. Generally I find that in parties, I feel I'm a woman going to a department store and picking out clothes: I pick out a few people and pull them to the side and focus on talking with them the majority of the night. It's either that, or I'm the life of the party and am the center of attention entertaining everyone.

That's me in a nutshell.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] -- Ok, good to know. I'll respond on that thread.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, but you are an Extrovert. It's easy to confuse what the driving factor may be behind any one choice/action/preference.

I agree with EJCC you seem Sx first and may be a Sx/So.

^ Great post. I completely relate to your third (film) paragraph, actually, and I think the bolded can apply to an so-dom of any type (though maybe less frequently with SJs).
Probably. With a SJ the JCF might alter the thinking slightly. A SFJ for example, might put more stock in the opinions of the group because they use Fe to consult the group in order to come to a decision. And all SJs might be less inclined to disagree and disrupt because Si encourages them to stick with what has been proven to work effectively over time. But then maybe Te stubbornness will make a STJ more likely to hold to their own views and dismiss others'. Like I said above, there can be multiple factors in play.

I definitely did not say "traditions", nor did I mean "traditions" -- what I was referring to by "dynamics of the group" relates more to the nuances of everyone's relationships with one another. As for potential SJ bias that doesn't apply to non-SJs, note that Southern Kross, an INFP 4 so, agreed with my post.
Yes, it's best to keep the description relatively broad unless you're talking about a particular type. "Tradition" could be one aspect of the Social instinct's focus on group harmony and dynamics. That might be so, say, for a 1 or a 6, but a 5 might use that same focus to gather information on patterns of human behaviour, whereas a 2 might use it to anticipate how they might best help others. Each type frames the instinctual variants through the prism of their enneatype (with some influence from their MBTI); so the same focus/approach of the instinct is filtered through very different interests and priorities, resulting in a wide variety of behaviours that, superficially, may appear to have little in common. However, the broad strokes are ultimately the same.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. However, the real problem with me, is that I have no variant blind spot. Personally, I feel like none of my variants are neglected. I never really relate to the people that are sx last either. I have had several of them tell me that it's very difficult for them to get close to people and often times keep them at an arm's length. I can't do that at all. In fact, my problem is the fact that I get close to people extremely quickly. I literally can fall in love with a girl in a matter of 3 dates, and she is literally all that I ever think about. Plus, me and Elfboy chat on the phone about relationships and whatnot constantly: we're like fucking teenage girls with that shit, lmao. I literally can not get one of my friends who is sexual last to do that with me.

I would argue that 6s have a Sp quality to them. This might give you more balance in your instincts and make the blind spot less obvious (I'm in the same boat with my instincts and type). BlackCat (although he's not around much these days) made a thread here once about the instincts relating to type. There was a recent thread that implied the same idea. Some instincts emphasise the type, some have no effect, and some "counteract" (for the lack of a better word) it. BlackCat's version went something like this:

5s:
Sp accentuates the type's characteristics
So is neutral
Sx counteracts

3s:
So accentuates the type's characteristics
Sx is neutral
Sp counteracts

8s
Sx accentuates the type's characteristics
Sp is neutral
So counteracts

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Probably. With a SJ the JCF might alter the thinking slightly. A SFJ for example, might put more stock in the opinions of the group because they use Fe to consult the group in order to come to a decision. And all SJs might be less inclined to disagree and disrupt because Si encourages them to stick with what has been proven to work effectively over time. But then maybe Te stubbornness will make a STJ more likely to hold to their own views and dismiss others'. Like I said above, there can be multiple factors in play.

Joking the same time as a result of the most important thing is that the typical of the most important thing is that the new one and a half hours of work in progress of removing that you can find the right to do what I want you to know if I can borrow your copy of Linda's the hunt for a while back and let me tell you how to do it for you guys are having a hard time with the same time and I am interested in the field and I will be moving to a friend who is in the world is a very good and bad credit history is a very good at all possible I could be the best first to know that I have the adaptability the same thing as well say good morning now that I would have you seen the movie and then I will not be a good match for my family and has the same as whatever meme means of communication and all the way to the next day or night of sleep with you soon as I got back from the my products are not in the world is going to be in touch with the very best of luck.

Yes, it's best to keep the description relatively broad unless you're talking about a particular type.

Dear friends in the morning and then the rest in a couple days ago on your site to find out how to do with it and I will not be a good time to visit them to be a great day and night and day out of town for the first one is the best of all of you have a good day at a later in life that you have to a new few weeks years back and to be a the same time

"Tradition" could be one aspect of the Social instinct's focus on group harmony and dynamics. That might be so, say, for a 1 or a 6, but a 5 might use that same focus to gather information on patterns of human behaviour, whereas a 2 might use it to anticipate how they might best help others.

and I will be there for work with what tired of or damage to your site law enforcement with w the I am a beautiful w the way I w see the a few weeks back and let me when we were w all week w to I can do to get make it sure a new ne

Each type frames the instinctual variants through the prism of their enneatype (with some influence from their MBTI); so the same focus/approach of the instinct is filtered through very different interests and priorities, resulting in a wide variety of behaviours that, superficially, may appear to have little in common.

with is the a only a small amount of money to pay for it to you the best of luck with qy with which you are looking to move by the end of up the good old days ago to see the best way of saying it was would be the top three years and I years ago

[T]he broad strokes are ultimately the same.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is pretty much what I just read:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce suscipit risus et tellus viverra sit amet tristique nunc condimentum. Vivamus non sem sapien. Praesent lorem odio, fermentum nec lobortis non, mollis id elit. Vivamus iaculis eros ut est condimentum dignissim. Nulla facilisi. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Suspendisse vitae laoreet augue. Ut nisl enim, faucibus eget consectetur in, molestie non sem. Sed varius feugiat lacus, in pharetra turpis ornare in. Nam a convallis dui. Fusce tempor gravida diam, vitae scelerisque odio commodo auctor. Curabitur suscipit consectetur risus, a imperdiet enim blandit id. Etiam interdum tellus quis dui tincidunt viverra. Suspendisse potenti.

Nunc hendrerit egestas dui, ultrices egestas turpis interdum nec. Nullam eu luctus tortor. Proin ullamcorper, erat at iaculis gravida, sem libero dictum tellus, blandit suscipit sapien leo sed felis. Suspendisse sodales gravida bibendum. Integer sapien sapien, ornare vel porta eu, blandit bibendum lectus. Donec viverra eros tristique est congue eu commodo ligula placerat. Aliquam placerat nulla sit amet enim luctus volutpat vitae eget lectus. Praesent mi elit, scelerisque eget blandit condimentum, elementum ac dui. Cras ullamcorper, nunc a porttitor facilisis, odio enim ultricies leo, vel fermentum risus magna at nisi.

Nam dui turpis, lobortis ac auctor ac, rutrum in quam. Donec dictum, sapien non mattis dapibus, dui augue dapibus nisl, at iaculis neque nibh a purus. Pellentesque mollis ligula in purus gravida sit amet feugiat sapien imperdiet. Praesent molestie ligula quis mi hendrerit tincidunt. Aliquam in ante eu elit eleifend aliquam a id nunc. Pellentesque vehicula lorem ut quam convallis ut laoreet sapien blandit. Nam egestas dui nibh, eu consectetur nisi. Etiam dignissim accumsan ultricies. In sodales rutrum auctor. Fusce at dolor hendrerit augue malesuada porta. Sed quam urna, ornare id porttitor eu, viverra lacinia neque.

Aliquam non tellus felis, sed ultrices lorem. Nulla at dapibus ligula. Cras ullamcorper justo convallis dui sagittis aliquet. Maecenas facilisis porta magna, quis accumsan neque auctor eget. Donec vel urna leo. Praesent pulvinar, metus et pulvinar porta, massa lectus suscipit libero, vel mattis lacus erat vitae purus. Donec sed mauris elit. Aenean sed mi eros. Ut hendrerit feugiat rhoncus. Cras fringilla dignissim vestibulum. Praesent eget elementum tellus.

Out of curiosity, [MENTION=4533]sleuthiness[/MENTION], just how bored are you right now? :laugh:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You keep claiming that but in your thread I kept seeing quite neurotic sp from you, and not the kind of neurotic sp I'd expect from an sp first type but from an sp last type. Also, as I mentioned in your thread, all the issues you raised as sp concerns most of all seemed like 6 concerns. Even when I asked you to specifically try to provide with how you approach sp it just seems to kind of fall out of your mind, like you couldn't quite grasp the concept itself.

That is also another strong indication of sp most likely being your blind spot. Just because you do not perceive your blind spot means it's not there - that's why it is called the blind spot. Think about, it's a blind spot because we cannot see it as a weakness or deficiency since we tend to so blatantly ignore it.

That's pretty much how I understand so as well as sx/sp. I'm like, oh, community, news, belonging, network society? What's that?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me it is thus:

the social variant involves the needing to belong to something larger than yourself

There is a preoccupation for me, as a 9, to feel "part of" a sense of belonging, however this preoccupation is also an indication that I never actually achieve that, rather it's a constant driver that I am compelled to find without ending.

the ability to understand social webs very easily (i.e., this person knows this person, that knows this person, that knows this person)

I don't pay attention to who knows who, that's bland and boring to me, it's more that I read social dynamics as naturally as reading a book, it seems obvious to me, the interpersonal dynamics between anyone and everyone without paying specific attention to who is who. Filtered through my 9 it's important for me to know the interpersonal dynamics so I can influence potential conflicts before they occur so that my peace isn't disrupted.

the need for social prestige

I have a need for recognition in aspects, to not be ignored, I don't care much for prestige.

they like to know what's going in their community

I'm actually pretty oblivious to the day to day activities of things, it's nice to know what's going on around so I can be aware of how dynamics are shifting and not be caught off guard, however for the most part I'm more in-tune with focusing on the interpersonal dynamics of any community I'm involved with.

they like to keep up with the news

Meh, never been one to do this, although I do consider it something many So doms are interested in.

the need to create social connections

As a 9 I'm all about connections, so yeah.

and often times they enjoy socializing

Of course, am also an extrovert though. And on the flip side, I am also often times highly anti-social and reclusive, as a So dom it's the area that has a big impact on me is all, like a Sp dom can flip between preoccupation with needs and neglect, or a Sx dom can flip between seeking meaningful connections and promiscuity, So is about the flip between social and anti-social.

The biggest thing for me is the focus on interpersonal dynamics, picture a politician who can see all the dynamics of a room and know who to hit up and at what angle to get what he needs, that's how it works for me, the second major area is the preoccupation for being "part of".

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is pretty much what I just read:

Out of curiosity, sleuthiness, just how bored are you right now? :laugh:
I'll say. I can't make any sense out of that at all. Could you give it another try? Punctuation may help a little. :unsure: