• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What does your blind spot look like? (So, Sx, or Sp)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My blind spot as an sp-dom is likely my intense need for space. Especially under stress. I won't always tell people I'm falling off the planet. I'll want to just not interact for a week straight. Obviously this can upset friends. Something to work on, I suppose.

I value my boundaries and space so much that I refuse to use Facebook/create an account, & rarely use instant messenger programs. Needless to say, I can be rather hard to track down, if I don't want to be found.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the clarification, [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]. And great post; it all resonates with me. :)
You sound rather SX/SO, but what would I know? Vive la difference!
The only people I know who DON'T think [MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION] is sx/so are the people he alludes to from typewatch, who typed him almost exclusively from video "vibe". He seems very certain of being high sp, even though he acknowledges that his sp focus was learned, late in life and as the result of post-childhood external factors.

/derail

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I see SP last people as types who feel a guilt or, yes, sometimes a weakness over caring for their individual physical/emotional needs. I think this is why they project materialism or security-seeking onto SP-dom, which doesn't ring true when you are one (much as SO stereotypes can be projections from so-last types). So while I have a certain obliviousness or disinterest in some stereotypical SP things, I don't feel any guilt or weakness for caring for them when I am aware of them. And I tend to be aware of them most when I don't feel in control of the situation.

I see primary and last instincts in having some cross over because of the ability for both areas to be out of balance, personally Sp needs aren't something I feel guilt about, they are simply things I do not pay attention to because they just don't matter to me. Primary instincts can cause issues because they can be so much of a preoccupation that they express in unhealthy ways, ie Social doms being fiercely anti-social, and this is when people jumping in as So-lasters sprouting all these stereotypical views of how So doms are all revelling in the eternal party of group-joining activism is frustrating and misguided, I see it as more of an indication of no comprehension of what being motivated by So needs would be like, because they never look there themselves, so they fall back on stereotypes as it's all they've got. The same goes for Sp-lasters misrepresenting Sp needs, I don't understand them, because it's never a focus point, so the area's a Sp last neglects can easily be transformed into an image of what being Sp first may be.

Lightyear

I don't care what people think of me unless I care about them personally

I guess that's an So blind spot?

Totally. A former work colleague once said to someone who said something offensive to her, "Sorry honey but you are not close enough to me for me to care about what you think of me." In good old 9 fashion I don't like conflict but at the same time I don't give a monkey's what most people think of me, these people are not close enough for me to care, if you don't genuinely know who I am as a person why should I care about your opinion of me and my life?

I guess also another So last blind spot is that the concept of status goes straight over my head, I obviously don't want to be the lowest of the low but I would never join an exclusive group because I would feel bad for the people being excluded. I also just don't care if you want me in your exclusive club or not, if not so what?

Am also thinking about how being a 9 and a Sp first correlate. I guess the Sp shows in that I am very protective of my 9 desire to feel at peace on the inside, drama queens and hysterical people will immediately set off all my alarm bells and I will keep them as far away from me as possible, I don't do unnecessary drama or emotional turmoil.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Totally. A former work colleague once said to someone who said something offensive to her, "Sorry honey but you are not close enough to me for me to care about what you think of me." In good old 9 fashion I don't like conflict but at the same time I don't give a monkey's what most people think of me, these people are not close enough for me to care, if you don't genuinely know who I am as a person why should I care about your opinion of me and my life?

I guess also another So last blind spot is that the concept of status goes straight over my head, I obviously don't want to be the lowest of the low but I would never join an exclusive group because I would feel bad for the people being excluded. I also just don't care if you want me in your exclusive club or not, if not so what?

Am also thinking about how being a 9 and a Sp first correlate. I guess the Sp shows in that I am very protective of my 9 desire to feel at peace on the inside, drama queens and hysterical people will immediately set off all my alarm bells and I will keep them as far away from me as possible, I don't do unnecessary drama or emotional turmoil.

I'm So dom and I feel the same way as you do about other people's opinions of me, and status, to a lessor degree. I do instinctively see status and interconnections though.

Lightyear

I'm So dom and I feel the same way as you do about other people's opinions of me, and status, to a lessor degree. I do instinctively see status and interconnections though.

So how do our very different So stackings make us different then considering we feel the same way about status and people's opinions of us? Does it also have something to do with our MBTI type? As a T you might care far less about other people's opinions of you anyway then I do as a major Fe user, but since you are a So first you have very good rational insights into people's relationships and can use this data for your advantage. I might not care about status but as a Fe user I am still aware enough of the relationships around me to not constantly put my foot in my mouth or come across as rude by stepping on social norms (which is heightened by the 9 desire not to create unnecessary conflict). So if I was a big Fe user AND a So first (and to top it off a SJ) I might be the overly status conscious kind of parent who nags their kids all the time about "what the other people might think", while if you were a T AND a So last you might be far less in tune with the interconnections around you. Am just throwing out my thoughts here. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So how do our very different So stackings make us different then considering we feel the same way about status and people's opinions of us? Does it also have something to do with our MBTI type? As a T you might care far less about other people's opinions of you anyway then I do as a major Fe user, but since you are a So first you have very good rational insights into people's relationships and can use this data for your advantage. I might not care about status but as a Fe user I am still aware enough of the relationships around me to not constantly put my foot in my mouth or come across as rude by stepping on social norms (which is heightened by the 9 desire not to create unnecessary conflict). So if I was a big Fe user AND a So first (and to top it off a SJ) I might be the overly status conscious kind of parent who nags their kids all the time about "what the other people might think", while if you were a T AND a So last you might be far less in tune with the interconnections around you. Am just throwing out my thoughts here. :)

Your suggestion of what is seen v what someone may care about is where I was going, so yup.

It's about what So is v how So lasters perceive it to be as it's a blind spot as per my above post (same with Sx and Sp), for relevance I'm very prone to flipping into Anti-social patterns as a So dom, it's an area that I have an imbalanced relationship due to my strong preoccupation, so misconceptions about what So are tend to exclude how I wear it. Status and caring how someone see's you is something some So doms will be focused on, I imagine your average non-So 3 (maybe even your average image-fix types) cares more about that then the average of all So doms though, it's more about focus and awareness imo.

To be clear, we probably don't feel exactly the same about status, I'm aware of it and there are ways I care, it's just not that big of a deal to me and I do not pursue it.

As a So dom 9 my preoccupation is looking for a feeling of belonging, and never actually feeling it, I'm drawn to social groups, but I am very much on the fringe observing because I do not feel like I fit, which is the So 9 curse. For me my So is seeing all the social interconnections and struggling to comprehend that not everyone else does that because it's just so instinctive to me that zero effort is put into it. It's knowing who to approach and how in order to achieve what I want, understanding social etiquette expectations and being more inclined than non So-doms to adhere to them, especially with the 9 desire of not causing discomfort to others for the drama it may return, it's walking into the room and knowing how to work it like a politician would, even if you are never actually going to do so.

The not caring what others think of me, well I think part of it is possibly about my NTness, much of it would have to do with the 9 un-invested view on things, how can you care if you're not actually invested in the first place, we're good at our ability to be unaffected. Being So dom doesn't change that.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I love to cook. I hate to cook for myself. If there's no one there to enjoy it, it's pointless.

When I cook, it's not enough to make an ordinary version of something. It needs to be memorable, and I will spend a considerable amount of time determining what recipe I want to use, or how I'd like to modify it.

I have no problem spending 16+ hours making a barbecue brisket, and eating only a few bites when I'm done.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Let's see how much I can recall about my lack of sp. :rly???:

• My friends take more care of me than I do for myself.
  • I party too hard and end up regretting it the morning after.
  • Sometimes I don't even notice when I'm hungover.
  • My default response when offered something good for me is "I'm okay, thanks." I don't even know why.
  • I'll stay up until 3/4 AM despite knowing I'll have to be up in 2 hours to take care of my dog and grandpa.
  • I'll also sleep deprive myself by waiting up for my best friend in New Zealand to come on Skype.
  • If I'm sick or suffering from something, I have a hard time describing what it is.
  • My room is completely disorganized.
  • Any matter concerning money is completely foreign to me.
  • I disregard risks in favor of excitement.
  • I can go fucking broke in Monopoly.
  • I'll completely exhaust myself because I want to make sure I did something worthwhile every day.
  • I love cuddling with cats despite knowing that I'm really allergic to them.
  • I never pay attention to instructions and end up being extremely uncoordinated at first.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let's see how much I can recall about my lack of sp. :rly???:

• My friends take more care of me than I do for myself.
  • I party too hard and end up regretting it the morning after.
  • Sometimes I don't even notice when I'm hungover.
  • My default response when offered something good for me is "I'm okay, thanks." I don't even know why.
  • I'll stay up until 3/4 AM despite knowing I'll have to be up in 2 hours to take care of my dog and grandpa.
  • I'll also sleep deprive myself by waiting up for my best friend in New Zealand to come on Skype.
  • If I'm sick or suffering from something, I have a hard time describing what it is.
  • My room is completely disorganized.
  • Anything matter concerning money is completely foreign to me.
  • I disregard risks in favor of excitement.
  • I can go fucking broke in Monopoly.
  • I'll completely exhaust myself because I want to make sure I did something worthwhile every day.
  • I love cuddling with cats despite knowing that I'm really allergic to them.
  • I never pay attention to instructions and end up being extremely uncoordinated at first.
Yes to the bolded!!

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
right, that's it. is it possible to not have TWO of these? because i think i don't have So, but I also don't have Sp. is there any bonafide quiz out there that can help me understand if i'm Sx/Sp or Sx/So? Thanks.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right, that's it. is it possible to not have TWO of these? because i think i don't have So, but I also don't have Sp. is there any bonafide quiz out there that can help me understand if i'm Sx/Sp or Sx/So? Thanks.

for starters :)
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...ce-thread-instinctual-variants-stackings.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/62941-elfboy-s-instinctual-variant-test.html

in my opinion, you're probably Sx/So and have an obvious 1w2 fix. you see
- 7s are self centered, hedonistic and easy on themselves
- so are 8s, who are also less moral
- 7 and 8 are all about how do I get more for me
- So blindspot are oblivious to the social sphere and prefer not to think of it

you, on the other hand, believe in a system in which people work completely for the sake of each other rather than for personal gain or even survival. this is exactly the opposite of what 7 and 8 are about. the influence of the superego is is clear in both your expression of political views and in your posts in general.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A lot of this is relatable to me & I'm sp first. Actually, you will see many who identify as iNtuitive in MBTI/Jungian theory note these things, just as many introverts identify with supposed so-last traits.

I'm not saying you are not sp-last, but it's more complex than that to be sp-dom. I hate stopping to eat & cook also & often forget or am totally oblivious to body signals, but it can become a fixation if I'm in a situation where I don't feel I have personal control of my well-being. Sp-dom is more like FREEDOM to provide for yourself, and as long as you feel you have that ability, then you may easily forget or become inconvenience by such "maintenance". This is why sp-dom are associated a bit with being detached & independent from people - its as if being too close to others can be a "threat" to your survival. But then this is also coming from an SO-last SP-dom, so forming social bonds & niches is not something I find comforting like many do (rather a chore & a confusing one at that).

As a side, a lot of Western culture is very SP, IMO. There's this emphasis on kids leaving home to be independent & support themselves, make their own way, etc. The cultures can make people very insular, not communal at all. SO is a blindspot in US culture, IMO. People often need organizations & whatnot to form social bonds/circles & find niches, as opposed to some cultures where group community interaction is just everyday life without anything formal necessary. As far as how this affects individuals, I think this is why many don't identity with so-first even if they are. It's not a cultural value (and most here are from Western cultures).

Thanks for that. I was actually thinking while I was writing my other post that probably any intuitive would have a bit of this too.

Hmm . . . I’m curious, how can being too close to others be like a threat to survival if you’re sp-dom? Is it because others can take up your time that could be spent taking care of your needs?

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that one sp blind spot I have is living independently. It’s just not something I have prioritized in the past. When I became an adult, I assumed that I would be married soon and that my husband would take care of my financial needs. (In the odd—American—subculture where I’m from but have since left, it’s very common to be married by the age of 22. And I realize this doesn’t sound like a very feminist stance to take, but that subculture isn’t very female-friendly in the first place—one of the reasons I’m glad to have left it.) So I just waited and lived at my mom’s house. I’m still not married, so now it’s become a necessity to learn to live on my own. I have moved out of my mom’s house, and just now I’m being forced to learn all the skills that I never bothered to before, things like when to use storm windows, how to budget money, etc. Even still, the idea of living totally on my own doesn’t appeal to me, and I would probably always have a roommate even if I could afford everything on my own. In a way, I do still look to others first to have the skills to do these things. If I had to live totally on my own, I’d probably burn the place down within a year because of some meter I forgot to check or some lightbulb I didn’t replace properly.

That’s why I say I’m glad for my sp-first best friend, because she basically saw my lack of skills in survival and was like, “Please let me teach you!!!” Learning these things isn’t a chore if it’s helping me to connect with someone close to me.

Regarding Western culture being sp-focused, that reminds me of the generational tendency nowadays to have trouble finding a job that can get you a living wage and to live at your parents’ house longer because of that. This country being sp-oriented isn’t the sole reason (or probably even the main one) that older generations look at the younger generation with contempt because of that, but I’m sure it contributes to it.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for being offensive. I've already taken the official one, i think i had balanced so-sp. I didn't say I was a starter and I've already read all of these (otherwise I would do so instead of writing here). It might actually be that the theoretical system of the instinctual variants is wrong or not applicable to everyone.
Thanks for your opinion (which I didn't ask), but unfortunately I don't think a vague internet interaction gives you enough insight on my personality for you to analyse me. If you really want to know, I don't even think you've got your own type right (or even have a clear understanding of MBTI), so I dont think you're qualified to get mine.

for starters :)
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...ce-thread-instinctual-variants-stackings.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/62941-elfboy-s-instinctual-variant-test.html

in my opinion, you're probably Sx/So and have an obvious 1w2 fix. you see
- 7s are self centered, hedonistic and easy on themselves
- so are 8s, who are also less moral
- 7 and 8 are all about how do I get more for me
- So blindspot are oblivious to the social sphere and prefer not to think of it

you, on the other hand, believe in a system in which people work completely for the sake of each other rather than for personal gain or even survival. this is exactly the opposite of what 7 and 8 are about. the influence of the superego is is clear in both your expression of political views and in your posts in general.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for being offensive. I've already taken the official one, i think i had balanced so-sp. I didn't say I was a starter and I've already read all of these (otherwise I would do so instead of writing here). It might actually be that the theoretical system of the instinctual variants is wrong or not applicable to everyone.
Thanks for your opinion (which I didn't ask), but unfortunately I don't think a vague internet interaction gives you enough insight on my personality for you to analyse me. If you really want to know, I don't even think you've got your own type right (or even have a clear understanding of MBTI), so I dont think you're qualified to get mine.

I'm sorry if you think me saying you lack the natural weaknesses of 7 and 8 is an insult

V

violaine

I identify with a lot of what [MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION] said.

I moved across country almost two years ago. I didn't let my family know except for one of my sisters, my ex, and one of my cousins (I was infuriated when he went a blabbed to the rest of the family!). Once more people knew (and they don't know exactly where), they emailed me names and numbers of people to "contact in case you need support". I'm thinking, what kind of support? It would never occur to me to do this.

Team is one of my most disliked words. I have never felt a part of any group. At best, I'm on the edges of it...the alien observer.

I was scheduled to have surgery and my first thought was how many train and bus transfers it would take to get me back home after it was done. My roommate would have gladly taken me and brought me back home but I didn't want to involve him. It's bad enough that I have to rely on the doctors to take care of this issue.

I've done some really crazy, miracle hoop-jumping in order to fix things without involving another person in it.

I identify with your post so much. Ironic for an SO last. :)

I'm pretty horrible with social games. I can see alliances, but I usually don't notice how they affect me until it's too late. I just don't want to do whatever it is I would have to to join in. I love having friends, but I don't like complicated friendships. I would never have a frenemy.

Oddly, I am totally obsessed with Survivor and would love to play it. Wonder if a person's instincts even out over time...

Huhuu

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am curious how your blind spot manifests?

Also, if you know your enneagram, tritype, and/or MBTI, it could be helpful to list those too.

I'm INTJ and tritype 125 with the core of 1w2. Being self-preservation subtype was very obvious but it took me some time to see which one was my blind spot, sexual or social, since neither of those seemed very crucial to me at the first glance.

Then I noticed that a lot of my Enneagram type, 1w2, focuses not only on the self-preservation issues but also on the social issues I unfortunately have to observe around me all the time. So many things make me really furious and wish I could interfere and do something about it.

While social issues are just something I cannot be indifferent about, I'm still not sociable by myself. I don't need much socializing and I don't need to deepen my friendships but quite the contrary, I'm not at all interested in people that way, I'm not interested to know them deeply and I'm even less interested to share my personal issues with them. Some have said, envy in their voice, I have many good acquaintances that would become good friends if I only wanted but that leaves me indifferent. The best socializing activity for me is playing board games with others.

I guess it is also associated with this, having the blindspot of sx, that I'm not very expressive or that I don't seem emotional or enthusiastic even if I feel that way by myself. I find it unnecessary to even aim at letting my reactions become visible but I also feel I just couldn't do it even if I wanted to. It would be very unnatural for me. Sometimes people consider me cold or dull while I don't feel that way at all.

S

Stansmith

SP-last

-I only think about SP-related stuff at the last minute, and even then, any SP-related thing I do is to validate my Social worth. When I look for a job or internship it's less "the economy yada, yada, yada" and more "I'll get to buy more clothes, a car, make cool Manhattan friends and look busy"

-I sort of just "drift" through life. I see people actively working towards their careers, while I just focus on what I'm gonna do today or next week. It's amazing how quickly time can pass before I realize I've done nothing productive.

-I don't have a license or permit, and I'm unaware of when i need to go to a doctor's or dentist's appointment

-I spend impulsively

-I'm not persistent with job searching. I've probably handed in a dozen resumes tops, and I'm mainly focused on the aesthetics and social factor of the work environment than just plain having a job. Supreme store? Yes. Soup Kitchen or Bob's Discount Furniture? Nah.

-my room is messy

Yada yada yada.