• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts What's a good way to type someone as an SP or SO or SX dom?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142...ser_op=view_page&PAGE_id=9&MMN_position=33:33 Actually I was looking at everything with all the stackings and it was confusing me. From this description...I am with no doubt a 6. ha ha...ironic...no doubt...6...get it? ha ha...lol anyways from listening to that guy above ^^ I am a 6 sp dom definately...I relate most to the "warm" type ha ha

I still would have no idea where to start with other people though...like with what tool i could use to type other peoples' enneagrams or stackings...I get 7's and 1's easily...and 2's and 4's mostly, but 3,5,6,8,and 9...not so good and then add the sp/so/sx dom to it ...it seems to get complicated...seems like a lot of memorizing the descriptions when you add everything together...I guess it must take practice?

B

brainheart

How about ocean moonshine? I listed that for its detail and broad approach (lol contradiction). Narajo's descriptions cater to the extremes of each stacking and thus more narrow. It's best to just understand the general theme of each type. Here's a vid that goes well with the notes, it's the part where he talks about type 6 but the other vid parts are available:

Hey I just listened to all of these yesterday (for all of the types) and they rocked my world. Made me realize I am an so/sp not the sx/so I was thinking. In all of my instinct searches I kept thinking that when I got the answer it should feel more nauseating than like ego stroking and this for sure did the job. Now I feel like my ego defenses have been set aside and I can see the unproductive image I've been hiding behind/ the self-sabotaging loop I've been living. Makes sense, considering Naranjo's book is the only one that made me feel that way as well.

Oh, and I made up some statements that kind of get the essence for each type, I'm hoping at least. Here they are:

One
sexual: You are wrong and I'll fix you.
social: I am right and require no fixing.
self preservation: I am wrong, everything's wrong. I have to fix it.

Two
sexual: My allure will get me love and what I want.
social: The world needs me.
self preservation: I'm just a kid at heart and that makes me lovable.

Three
sexual: Let me be whomever you want.
social: I will do what it takes to get to the top.
self preservation: I'm not vain; look at what a good, hard working person I am!

Four
sexual: I suffer, you suffer.
social: I am a suffering, shameful failure.
self preservation: What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

Five
sexual: I'm saving all my love for a perfect person who doesn't exist.
social: Everything is meaningless except ultimate meaning.
self-preservation: No one gets past my fortress.

Six
sexual: I'll look scary so no one sees how scared I am.
social: Rules, regulations, and order keep us safe.
self-preservation: I'll look harmless and make friends so no one wants to hurt me.

Seven
sexual: My rose colored glasses guarantee it's all good.
social: I love my neighbor more than myself because I don't want to look like a greedy pig.
self preservation: You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Eight
sexual: I'm a rebel without a cause.
social: You mess with my people, I'll destroy you.
self preservation: I have to have it.

Nine
sexual: My needs are your needs.
social: I'll do whatever you want me to do to be part of the group.
self preservation: What more is there to life besides the simple pleasures?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Six
self-preservation: I'll look harmless and make friends so no one wants to hurt me.

For me this applies quite well. It's partly that, and partly "I'm NOT just harmless and bland...don't just think I'm nice all the time...notice me!!" Which kind of works for sp/sx, I'd say.

The "notice me!" stuff is a bit more of an internal longing, while I tend to continue looking nice and cordial on the outside. But while a mainly phobic 6, I think the need to be noticed and make connections can also manifest in an occasional counterphobic lashing out/ceasing to care what others think.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey I just listened to all of these yesterday (for all of the types) and they rocked my world. Made me realize I am an so/sp not the sx/so I was thinking. In all of my instinct searches I kept thinking that when I got the answer it should feel more nauseating than like ego stroking and this for sure did the job. Now I feel like my ego defenses have been set aside and I can see the unproductive image I've been hiding behind/ the self-sabotaging loop I've been living. Makes sense, considering Naranjo's book is the only one that made me feel that way as well.

Oh, and I made up some statements that kind of get the essence for each type, I'm hoping at least. Here they are:

One
sexual: You are wrong and I'll fix you.
social: I am right and require no fixing.
self preservation: I am wrong, everything's wrong. I have to fix it.

Two
sexual: My allure will get me love and what I want.
social: The world needs me.
self preservation: I'm just a kid at heart and that makes me lovable.

Three
sexual: Let me be whomever you want.
social: I will do what it takes to get to the top.
self preservation: I'm not vain; look at what a good, hard working person I am!

Four
sexual: I suffer, you suffer.
social: I am a suffering, shameful failure.
self preservation: What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.

Five
sexual: I'm saving all my love for a perfect person who doesn't exist.
social: Everything is meaningless except ultimate meaning.
self-preservation: No one gets past my fortress.

Six
sexual: I'll look scary so no one sees how scared I am.
social: Rules, regulations, and order keep us safe.

Seven
sexual: My rose colored glasses guarantee it's all good.
social: I love my neighbor more than myself because I don't want to look like a greedy pig.
self preservation: You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

Eight
sexual: I'm a rebel without a cause.
social: You mess with my people, I'll destroy you.
self preservation: I have to have it.

Nine
sexual: My needs are your needs.
social: I'll do whatever you want me to do to be part of the group.
self preservation: What more is there to life besides the simple pleasures?

I agree 100% with the videos being pretty awesome. I haven't listened to all of them yet, but having listened to most of two, looks like your summation of the instinctual 'essence' of 4's, 5's, and 6's is pretty decent. (btw I think Naranjo is awesome, now.. I really like his personality)

Regarding all of your summations, I actually relate very much to 4 sp (this is very much how I have viewed elements of my past / how I view hardships: I grit my teeth through it and have this sort of mantra), and 5 sx (this hits somewhat close to home....), and 5 sp to a somewhat lesser/equal degree. So, I think my current 5w4 sp/sx is a pretty reasonable typing for myself.

Also, what I truly appreciate about these videos and the content is that they aren't filled with all of the watered-down, stereotypical (or just plain wrong) garbage (particularly in terms of the instincts) that I tend to see on this forum w/ regards to enneagram.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=14015]Inari Love[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7140]brainheart[/MENTION] Glad it helped.

Inari, I think it does come with practice specifically pinpointing at an individual's delusion(s) of (their) reality. Personally, I find it hard to type oneself already and that typing others will prove to be even more difficult. But, I know there's a movie video guide somewhere and it could be used as a means of practice. For instance the movie Wit is a good example of a Social type 1. I'll link it to you if I come across it again.

Brainheart, looks like a good list. I can only vouch for social type 1s. I would say, I am perfect ;).

I think Naranjo is a must read for people to really understand the types or at least have a varied perspective of enneagram. I'd also recommend Maitri to warm up to Naranjo's text style. Riso/Hudson and online descriptions usually type me an 8w7 or 3w4. Others seem to suggest I come off 5w6 or 3w4 or 6w5 on posts. Lol it's really interesting to observe this but I blame it on my social first since I am indeed interested in group dynamics, how I affect a community, it affects me, and what the effects are of the group on the environment. It is not just about social standing.

When I found out my type through those books I basically laughed and thought, "The type I detest is me." Quite the irony of the year. lol

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14015]
When I found out my type through those books I basically laughed and thought, "The type I detest is me." Quite the irony of the year. lol

Ugh I feel like this as well...I keep going back and forth between 1 and 6, I hate 1's irl...and I started thinking maybe it's because I unconciously overcompensating and suppressing those "faults" or thouse things I don't like in other 1's...but then when I just read the description of 6 on the moonshine page...It explains my anxiety...and how I stuggle with the ambiguity of power...so I'm still lost lol.

Savitri

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ugh I feel like this as well...I keep going back and forth between 1 and 6, I hate 1's irl...and I started thinking maybe it's because I unconciously overcompensating and suppressing those "faults" or thouse things I don't like in other 1's...but then when I just read the description of 6 on the moonshine page...It explains my anxiety...and how I stuggle with the ambiguity of power...so I'm still lost lol.

Lol 1 and 6 are superego types so that's probably why you're undecided between the two. Read these two books if you can't settle:

http://www.amazon.com/Character-Neu...id=1348941838&sr=8-1&keywords=claudio+naranjo

http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Dim...&qid=1348941902&sr=1-1&keywords=sandra+maitri

Oceanmoonshine's article, though pretty good, would still type me an 8. Although I think people are simple, their idea of themselves are complex. The reason why Naranjo and Maitri worked for me is because it went back to my childhood, how I was nurtured and how that nurturing created a barrier to my Self. It only took like 15 minutes of reading Maitri to make me look at type 1 again, a second read because I was in disbelief made me pay close attention to type 1. Moved on to Naranjo and BAM I was laughing at how foolish I was to have missed it then angry because I was what I hated.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=16374]Savitri[/MENTION] thanks! I will have to take a look at those books :)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
If someone kills themselves because they lost their lover, kills their lover because they left them, or kills the person that they lost their lover to....then they are probably an SX dom. I'm not saying that all SX doms do, this. In fact VERY few of them do, but if someone does any of these things in the name of love, then I assume that they are an SX dom.

B

brainheart

Brainheart, looks like a good list. I can only vouch for social type 1s. I would say, I am perfect ;).

I think Naranjo is a must read for people to really understand the types or at least have a varied perspective of enneagram. I'd also recommend Maitri to warm up to Naranjo's text style. Riso/Hudson and online descriptions usually type me an 8w7 or 3w4. Others seem to suggest I come off 5w6 or 3w4 or 6w5 on posts. Lol it's really interesting to observe this but I blame it on my social first since I am indeed interested in group dynamics, how I affect a community, it affects me, and what the effects are of the group on the environment. It is not just about social standing.

Hey, thanks.

Regarding the e1 instincts, Naranjo actually put it as Sexual is the perfecter, self pres is the perfectionist, and social is perfect, which I think is a nice, succinct way to say it. Maybe I should change the ones to-

social: I am perfect and require no fixing.
sexual: You are wrong and I will perfect you.
self pres: I'm wrong, everything's wrong, I must perfect it.

But for some reason that sounds awkward to me. You're the one, what do you think?

As far as films go, I like thinking of characters that exemplify type, too. Natalie Portman's character in Black Swan, for example, strikes me as very much a self pres one.

...When I found out my type through those books I basically laughed and thought, "The type I detest is me." Quite the irony of the year.

That's exactly how I felt about the social four when listening to Naranjo. All the other instincts for four have always seemed better to me. Social four's operate in this self-defeating loop of seeing themselves as less than others, so it makes sense I would envy the fours with the 'better' instincts, ha ha. When I realized this, I was like... Oh God, I'm the pathetic four... :cry: But it's really cool to know, because now I know what to look for in my thoughts and actions and what I should be working on to get out of it. Because I'm tired of being pathetic.

Oh, and I'd like to add that I may be a so/sp but I have become love obsessed before, I totally get crushes on people, and I am perceived by a fair number of people as sexy :blush:. That's not what the instincts are about.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol 1 and 6 are superego types so that's probably why you're undecided between the two. Read these two books if you can't settle:

http://www.amazon.com/Character-Neu...id=1348941838&sr=8-1&keywords=claudio+naranjo

http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Dim...&qid=1348941902&sr=1-1&keywords=sandra+maitri

Oceanmoonshine's article, though pretty good, would still type me an 8. Although I think people are simple, their idea of themselves are complex. The reason why Naranjo and Maitri worked for me is because it went back to my childhood, how I was nurtured and how that nurturing created a barrier to my Self. It only took like 15 minutes of reading Maitri to make me look at type 1 again, a second read because I was in disbelief made me pay close attention to type 1. Moved on to Naranjo and BAM I was laughing at how foolish I was to have missed it then angry because I was what I hated.

Ok. So I finally got these books lol. Thanks for the advice. Now I think I know I'm a 6 <---lmao...such a six thing to do...lol

Anyways, I don't know how to apply these to other people....This enneagram thing seems like a very unconcious thing....I know what my freinds are...but THEY don't believe it. I think the reason is that it is on such a subconcious level. All of the fears and inner desires that they deny. So when I see them as an 8 and they don't, it makes me second guess myself.

Do you have the same issues? Should I just stop caring? Cause it feels like the people around me don't understand anything to do with their subconcious minds. So of course they don't get that they're doing these things unconciously and usually using a shadow.

I am asking because I want to know if there's like an easy way to translate the enneagram to people, so that they can understand it better. And so that we can figure out types easier.
Do you try to type people? Or do you just type them in your head and not say anything to that person?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe to expand on atronauch's

sp safety first (low risk)
sx passion first (live fast die young)
so community first (everyone be happy)

??

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well if they live a wild lifestyle, are fiery, kind of have a hot and cold flirting style, live life to the extreme, say phrases like, "You only live once", and die of a drug overdose then they are probably Sx/So.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A good word for Sx/So, perhaps: insatiable.

y/n/any improvements upon it =D~?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that if you can get a good idea of how a person spends their time and energy, and what they get antsy about not doing, it can give you a somewhat decent indicator to their instinctual stacking. Each instinctual type will spend a large chunk of time "tending" to their specific domain, and each type will most need to re-engage with that specific domain after being away from it.

The Sp-dom will eventually need to take time out to go to the grocery store, go to the bank, go on a run, do their laundry, turn in their rent check, and so on. The So-dom will eventually need to take time to catch up on the news, to check out the happenings in their community, to reconnect with their usual contacts, to make sure they're contributing enough to whatever groups or organizations they're a part of, and so on. The Sx-dom will eventually need time to cloister themselves in with their chosen interests and people, to lose themselves in immersive experiences, to return to the search for completion, and so on.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
try listening to what they are talking about and dividing it into sp, so, sx categories

reposted from this http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/content.php/133-Instinctual-Stackings

Topics SO types might bring up in conversation: cultural and political movements and developments, popularity, popular songs books movies memes, manners, social values, societal standards, rules, guidelines, social power structures, appropriateness/inappropriateness, friendship, family, inclusion/exclusion, fashion, glamor, fame, notoriety, organizations, clubs, group divisions pertaining to nationality religion race, etc., patriotism, civic engagement, influence (so-first people sometimes refer to themselves using pronouns "we" or "us" or "our" as if they are the group)

Have you been eavesdropping om my conversations??? :happy2::D