• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instincts and faces

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] I find the topic of VI super fascinating, so I couldn't help but chime in (sorry this is like three pages too late :blush:).

Are you guys discussing VI overall or just in regards to instincts? I honestly have experienced (seen more of a physical pattern) with core Enneagram, than with instincts, but I also haven't specifically thought about that manifesting physically as much.

Also, when you guys say Visual Identification, do you mean physicality overall or just the eyes?

Thanks for humoring me! :D

Permabanned
I find the sx/sp and sp/sx composites the most intriguing, especially for the women. There’s something both challenging and predatory about the sx/sp face, like she’s really honing in on you while simultaneously trying to repel you and daring you to come closer. My first impression of the sp/sx face is that it’s slightly dismissive, kind of staring at you and thinking "I'm not impressed", but I could also see it as guarded and shy in the way that’s often misinterpreted as snootiness. My other impression was that she looks like she’s trying to read into you while keeping herself hidden.

For the women’s faces, sp/sx is probably the closest to my default expression, whether I’m alone or with others (judging by both others’ opinions and from those unfortunate times I’ve accidentally turned on my face cam or webcam). Mostly blank, could be interpreted as guarded and/or jaded, and rather unfriendly but not full-blown hostile. The sp/so female face looks like my expression when I’m trying to look approachable and friendly.

When I’m stressed-out or have a lot on my mind my face tends to contort more into full-blown "bitch face" (seems pissed-off and slightly judgmental), but most likely with more of a steely glare than the more fiery look of the sx/sp glare. Maybe kind of like this:
View attachment 16472

Hi, I'm a big fan:wubbie:

Starry

[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] I find the topic of VI super fascinating, so I couldn't help but chime in (sorry this is like three pages too late :blush:).

Are you guys discussing VI overall or just in regards to instincts? I honestly have experienced (seen more of a physical pattern) with core Enneagram, than with instincts, but I also haven't specifically thought about that manifesting physically as much.

Also, when you guys say Visual Identification, do you mean physicality overall or just the eyes?

Thanks for humoring me! :D

Thanks for humoring me.

The topic of VI fascinates me as well. I read a study quite a few years ago now where they would put people of all types in a room together (this was only dealing with MBTI though)...where the participants could go up and look at each other but were not allowed to speak...and then they were asked to type the individuals in the room. The findings were that NFs were the only group that could type other NFs (only, not other types) with an accuracy that demonstrated significance. When asked how they did this the most common response was "a look in their eye" <-which makes total sense to me in ways I can't describe with words. So it's just me that's interested in the eye thing.

This thread focuses on VI of instinctual variants of the entire face.

What do you do small.wonder? What are you looking at when you visually type points? Like, if you look at my photo assuming you think I'm accurately typed...what would be 7 and what would be ENFP? What would be 748 (478)?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for humoring me.

The topic of VI fascinates me as well. I read a study quite a few years ago now where they would put people of all types in a room together (this was only dealing with MBTI though)...where the participants could go up and look at each other but were not allowed to speak...and then they were asked to type the individuals in the room. The findings were that NFs were the only group that could type other NFs (only, not other types) with an accuracy that demonstrated significance. When asked how they did this the most common response was "a look in their eye" <-which makes total sense to me in ways I can't describe with words. So it's just me that's interested in the eye thing.

This thread focuses on VI of instinctual variants of the entire face.

What do you do small.wonder? What are you looking at when you visually type points? Like, if you look at my photo assuming you think I'm accurately typed...what would be 7 and what would be ENFP? What would be 748 (478)?

it's super fascinating to me. i like to think i'm really good at it tho even with non nfs but who knows haha

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for humoring me.

Awesome, mutual humoring is the best. :hifive:

Oh! That's really cool. I'm not into MBTI enough to say that I could "type another NF" but if someone put me in that situation, and asked me which people also had strong intuition (not even in MBTI terms, just the normal definition of the word) I would say it was an eyes thing too-- mostly because when I feel that way IRL, it's usually an eye contact thing and a feeling of...understanding? Or silent communication? :shrug:

By "do", I assume you mean when I see visual similarities between Enneagram types? Honesly, I didn't go hunting for that, or trying to type by appearance or physicality. It was a realization over time, after meeting and helping to facilitate type conclusions for lots of people over about five years now. I have kind of an unusual situation, in that the mega-church (read: at least over 20,000 people. I know, cray.) that I attend is very conscious of emotional/spiritual health and thus, most people at least know what the Enneagram is. The downside to this, is of course, most of those people (that I've interacted with) either totally abuse the thing out of ignorance, stereotyping and such. That or they take the test once, say "cool" and never go any further. The upside is that there are still hundreds of people who do actually use the Enneagram well, and are accurately identified (or were open to walking through it with me, to accurately identify, so I could Guinea Pig them :D).

But so, yeah, it's more of a pattern that I've seen over time, especially the types that are more populous that I know many of (thus being able to mentally line them up in my mind and go "ooooohhhhhh".) Because these things are "patterns", I never view them as absolute, just common. Some things are physical, like a lot of male 9w1's that I know are tall and thin athletes, but a lot of the time (I must admit) is intuitive-- it's a vibe. Those 9w1's tend to feel "soft" or like I could put my hand through them (especially the SO-first ones). I know a lot of female 1's that actually look alike, the taller side of average height, longer hair, thin build, stronger nose or cheek bones-- again, this is just a pattern, not a rule. Some things are even health similarities, which makes total sense given that our emotions and idiosyncrasies affect the body (6 and anxiety, for example). In addition to all of that, these things also apply: body language, style of dress, habits, vocal speech (sound and word patterns), even life events (I know at least four 6+7 (so 6w7 or 7w6) females who have constant car issues, like uncanny situations!). Haha, some of it I don't understand, I just file it away. :laugh:

But there really is a lot there. I never ever project type onto people (it's the ultimate abuse of Enneagram) or give my opinion of type unasked, but there have been many many times that I knew what they were before they reached an actual conclusion-- some of which was based on the above, but always married with and balanced by motivation, health patterns and all of that textbook stuff. No one should ever be "typed" by appearance alone.

To answer your question about your own type, I would really only comment on Enneagram core and maybe instincts. I don't subscribe to tritype as a legitimate or beneficial concept, and I'm not nearly well versed enough in MBTI.

7's seem to be one of the most varied in physical appearance (fitting, huh? :newwink:) but I have noticed some patterns for specific varieties of 7:
  • 7w6: shorter, rounder face, more warm or "class clown"-ish. More "of the people". Style is more conformist (whether to plaid mainstream, or Punk Rock, Grunge etc. Style to "belong").
  • 7w8: taller, more square, almost always athletic. More "leader of the people". Style is more non-conformist, or afterthought.

There are also lots of "this type is often more _______ than this type" patterns, that are physical. 3 and 7 for instance: 3 is usually much more "groomed/styled" than 7, while 7 is usually much more "bouncy" or "loose" in their body language than 3.

For instincts, these things are usually true, core aside:
  • SO - verbal (talks a lot), focused outward.
  • SX - intense and can be confrontational, very focused on the other (not distracted by outward influences).
  • SP - non-verbal, closed, focused inward.

But again, this stuff should never be the basis for typing a person, they are just patterns I see most of the time (there are always exceptions).

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
So, [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] , if I were to PM you a picture of my face, could you predict my type? Mostly for the lulz of course but I'm curious.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] , if I were to PM you a picture of my face, could you predict my type? Mostly for the lulz of course but I'm curious.

Never did I say that I type by face, but have noted patterns in the full physicality of a person IRL. That said, I'm always up for Lulz! :frolic: As long as you read (and get) my million disclaimers above about how physicality should never be the sole grounds for type assessment. And please know, usually I do this is person, with not just a full body visual, but movement, expression and interaction with others to observe.

Lulz, indeed. ;)

Starry

it's super fascinating to me. i like to think i'm really good at it tho even with non nfs but who knows haha

I think you actually are X. If I'm remembering correctly about the study...I don't think these people knew all that much about type. I think they were merely asked to identify people they believed where their same type/temperament without really knowing anything about it really.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, basically, if you change your facial expressions, you change your instincts.
No matter how you change your expression some aspects about your look always remain the same. That's why acting is such a difficult profession and so few do it well.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just looking at the pictures though, I like the sx/sp and sp/sx. Something about them seems to be holding back, but there is a depth that beckons. It would make me curious and want to get to know them.
The sp/sx picture looks like a survivor; tough, impenetrable.

tbir6oO.png

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

The composite guy made an ideal man composite for me a couple of years ago, based on the celebrities I thought were pretty. He looks like a smug bastard doesn't he hahaha

qcqHteX.png

Gammafolk

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10791]sulfit[/MENTION]

hmm I think i was mostly talking about sx/sp

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What would you say my stacking is based on my face? (Do not look at my sig below)

Laura.jpg

Epic Love

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm definitely either the sx/sp or the sp/sx face wise. So I guess there is some truth to it. OMG. My boyfriend is an sp/sx and he looks so damn much like the sx/sp or the sp/sx. So yes. To some extent it DEFINITELY works.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought I am so/sx , but according to these pictures I must be sx/so :shrug: I'm always confused whether I am sx/so or so/sx because I relate to both of them equally, even on the online tests I get those two results very close to each other..

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sx/sp or sp/sx

yay for clarity

Well ... I don't smile wide at all. Almost never. My lips curl on one end slightly. When I make a sarcastic comment or tease. I might open my mouth slightly but not enough to show anything. I don't smile wide with teeth unless I'm doing it purposefully just to see how it looks. I don't present myself so open with the wide open smiles and wide eyes like on those cringey commercials and in some actual people's pictures I've seen. Seems exhausting. I'm known for mild facial expressions.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My expression looks a lot like a combination of the sp/so and so/sp ones. Today in "I cannot decide if I syn-flow or contra-flow"

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The sx/so chick looks terrifying, in like, a really intense and passionate kind of way.

I approve, though. My eyes and teeth always scream: I love you, now come here so I can eat your face.

Starry

I'm not completely sure of my stacking. Could be either sp/so or so/sp most likely.

Here's a pic of me just for fun. What stacking would you guess?

Sorry, they came out so small when I uploaded them. Double click on them to enlarge.

View attachment 12996

View attachment 12997

What would you say my stacking is based on my face? (Do not look at my sig below)

View attachment 16712

It is always a tie for me between so/sp & sp/so. I think in the end based off visual and what I have seen of you in your interactions...I think you are so/sp <-but barely. Like, your so & sp are nearly balanced. This most recent photo looks very sp/so though...but still giving a slight edge to so