User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

In my case, it's the point where something goes from being an interest to an obsessive study. In this case, it's no longer collecting knowledge for its own sake, but in order to incorporate it into my understanding of who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    This. In my case, it's video games, which I could play for 7-8 hours a day, if I'm not careful.
    Me and you, let's go!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yes absolutely!!! I am so glad I am not alone in these feelings

I think that at least for me as an ENFP and 6w7, there is a huge idealization/unification that goes on. I am very attentive to atmosphere and energy, and I can easily pick up on the "feel" of something. I have a skill for putting together outfits based on an overall concept/feeling (eg, nighttime thunderstorm), and my mom asks how I can know this. I don't know. I just have the internal sense of all the things that a thunderstorm evokes and how it feels and what the nighttime evokes and how it feels and I see those things reflected in certain pieces of clothing and accessories and I get a sense of how they play off each other and how they create an overall mood.

It's almost less merging and more absorption, because it really has very little to do with me personally, short of my interest, and it's totally about the external concept or feeling or person or song or whatever and how I can totally delve into it and embody it. My relationship with food is sort of like this, I feel like certain foods embody certain "wholes" and eating those foods evokes that whole in me - like eating Middle Eastern food really creates in me an entire experience of the Middle East, music and colors and taste and spirituality and aesthetics and all those linked concepts - it's like I want to become the Middle East. That's how I understand "merging". It's about totally becoming whatever your focus of interest is, delving into it completely and embodying it.

I almost feel like the identification with this variant and sex drive as an instinct is off, and it's more about necessary sacrifice of the self to obtain growth. Though maybe that's what sex and childbirth is, the sacrifice of the individual to partner and children for the gain of your genetic material continuing to live on.

Perhaps the sx drive is, in a way, about eternal life through the dissolution of the self.
    Yes you completely nailed it. It's the experience of being a part of this thing and everything it entails. Thunderstorms make me feel intense and wild and soft pouring rain feels like miles Davis and middle eastern feels spicy and sexy and you can hear the music playing etc etc it's the whole experience the becoming one with the atmosphere of it all.

I don't know if I can really add to your description but yes I totally know what you mean.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Anew Leaf

SX to me is like the person or idea or concept or focus is in bright colors and music plays when they are near, and the rest of the world falls back into shades of gray.

It's an extra layer of being alive... like I am awake on all levels instead of being two separate selves: The one wandering the Ne Shrubbery Maze, and the one investigating the stars in her castle.

Edit: Here is one of my absolute favorite poems of all time. Oh that I were gifted as such as this!

if everything happens that can't be done
    e.e. cummings

if everything happens that can't be done
    (and anything's righter
    than books
    could plan)
    the stupidest teacher will almost guess
    (with a run
    skip
    around we go yes)
    there's nothing as something as one

one hasn't a why or because or although
    (and buds know better
    than books
    don't grow)
    one's anything old being everything new
    (with a what
    which
    around we come who)
    one's everyanything so

so world is a leaf so a tree is a bough
    (and birds sing sweeter
    than books
    tell how)
    so here is away and so your is a my
    (with a down
    up
    around again fly)
    forever was never till now

now i love you and you love me
    (and books are shuter
    than books
    can be)
    and deep in the high that does nothing but fall
    (with a shout
    each
    around we go all)
    there's somebody calling who's we

we're anything brighter than even the sun
    (we're everything greater
    than books
    might mean)
    we're everyanything more than believe
    (with a spin
    leap
    alive we're alive)
    we're wonderful one times one
    @underline is how it feels with SX activated over something.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think that the whole merging thing has to do with how sx has to do with your own desires, and then commonly you will go out to get them in one way or another. This whole "merging" thing has to do with that, the getting of your desires. An sx person will get so into something that they want, that they will want to basically immerse themselves in it. This can be a person, an interest, etc.
    This hits the point fairly accurately.

Sx is great isn't it? Then bam, have your nuts ripped right off you, figuratively speaking.

Junior Member UsurpersGonnaUsurp's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Perhaps the sx drive is, in a way, about eternal life through the dissolution of the self.
    I'm not sure if this is an Sx trait, but it used to keep me up at night (from about age 7) that I will have to die one day and it's completely out of my control, that everything which I love experiencing here on Earth so deeply will come to an end and I'll never get to experience it again. It's made me reach to experience things more deeply and intensely.. through the pain I suffered from just realizing that one day.. I will have to die.

I think sp and so are more about survival - whereas sx is more about making the most of what we have.
    ENTJ sx/so
    8w9 6w5 3wX (order still TBD)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I can soo relate to all of this, and it's really making me think I'm sx-dom. Oh boy.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

@Saturned That's actually one of my favorite poems too.

Yes absolutely!!! I am so glad I am not alone in these feelings

I think that at least for me as an ENFP and 6w7, there is a huge idealization/unification that goes on. I am very attentive to atmosphere and energy, and I can easily pick up on the "feel" of something. I have a skill for putting together outfits based on an overall concept/feeling (eg, nighttime thunderstorm), and my mom asks how I can know this. I don't know. I just have the internal sense of all the things that a thunderstorm evokes and how it feels and what the nighttime evokes and how it feels and I see those things reflected in certain pieces of clothing and accessories and I get a sense of how they play off each other and how they create an overall mood.

It's almost less merging and more absorption, because it really has very little to do with me personally, short of my interest, and it's totally about the external concept or feeling or person or song or whatever and how I can totally delve into it and embody it. My relationship with food is sort of like this, I feel like certain foods embody certain "wholes" and eating those foods evokes that whole in me - like eating Middle Eastern food really creates in me an entire experience of the Middle East, music and colors and taste and spirituality and aesthetics and all those linked concepts - it's like I want to become the Middle East. That's how I understand "merging". It's about totally becoming whatever your focus of interest is, delving into it completely and embodying it.

I almost feel like the identification with this variant and sex drive as an instinct is off, and it's more about necessary sacrifice of the self to obtain growth. Though maybe that's what sex and childbirth is, the sacrifice of the individual to partner and children for the gain of your genetic material continuing to live on.

Very beautifully put. I can relate to your post very deeply. I create different mood places in my house sometimes, like areas that are kind of invoking a scene, like full moon on a witching hour, or 30s Sanghai...that's in my closet. I don't have to travel much... ;D It's hard to describe but I do do a similiar thing to what you described.
    I have searched for that type of a perfect merging in many things in life, from music, from love and I believe, for me, the ultimate merging is a spiritual one. I have a fondness for Tao Te Ching, Meister Eckhart and mystic literature in general.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Another way of looking at it is "hating to be a tourist." In other words, when on a visit to a foreign location, you want to blend into the environment and be able to interact with and observe it just as a local would.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Another way of looking at it is "hating to be a tourist." In other words, when on a visit to a foreign location, you want to blend into the environment and be able to interact with and observe it just as a local would.
    Yes.

It's almost like finding something you like so much that you want to incorporate it into who you are.