User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your instinctual stacking?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • sx/so

16 12.31%
  • sx/sp

31 23.85%
  • so/sx

21 16.15%
  • so/sp

10 7.69%
  • sp/sx

28 21.54%
  • sp/so

24 18.46%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Instinctual Stacking?

Senior Member Array

I typed myself as so/sp. Sounds terribly dull...

Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

@Mia. just found this excellent site pertaining to the instinctual subtypes -- one of the best I've ever seen:
    http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enne...27Subtypes.htm
    The Justice Fighter

XXXX - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    @Mia. just found this excellent site pertaining to the instinctual subtypes -- one of the best I've ever seen:
    http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enne...27Subtypes.htm
    cool i totally relate to this
    Self-Preservation - early bonding and grounding as an infant - our right to exist.
    Sexual - the growing awareness of self and other in the first "dyad" with our mother or primary caregiver - our right to be loved.

with the sx being the main one

edit
    reading more of it now and damn...it's sorta painful to hear. :/

ha...this is true

Sevens have a fear of criticism. Sevens are working hard (remember, our Enneagram style is something we do, not who we are) to see only the possibilities and if someone starts picking and pecking (that's how it feels to a Seven), they are not just making observations, they are challenging the Seven's whole world view. Sevens will often drop the charm and flash anger, usually only briefly, when negatives are brought up, especially in the form of criticism.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

jumping off a cliff now
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

The Justice Fighter

XXXX - 6w5 8dw 3w4 sx/so - Neutral Good

"I trust what you are doing though…I just see it a little differently.
    I don’t see it as you stepping away from the fire. I see it as the fire directing your course.
    No matter how airy or earthy or watery you become... to many of us you will always be...a super nova."

"Behind these gates of seeming warmth sits, loosely chained, a fierce attack dog. Perhaps not crazy, but dangerous"

The Aggressive 6
    Debator

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Hm, it's interesting how those sites above associate the e4 sp-dom with "dauntlessness". I've seen this angle before, but the other angle, the one Naranjo describes, is a lot more applicable to me. The description touches on it a little, but not as much as the reckless side....

Depression is one way of anticipating death. If I rehearse death through feeling dead, then I will be able to handle it when it really happens. If I can go to the depths and deaths of depression and recover, I'll get the hang of it so when I die... And during the process, at least I'm involved in something important, something of a life-and-death issue. And if I'm involved in this important struggle, I certainly am not just numbly going through life. After all, Thoreau was right, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation."
    ------
    Most Self-Preservation types have a paranoid streak somewhere. That's why their concern is Self-Preservation. The self is under attack in some way. The specific way the self is under attack in the Four strategy is through dull, unimaginative, unrelenting ordinariness. One might as well be dead as stuck here in this (small town, boring relationship, monotonous job) environment. Life without emotional intensity is not really life.
    Read Hamlet's soliloquy from the point of view of a Self-Preservation Four and it is quite enlightening. The fundamental question of a Self-Preservation is being: how to be, and more radically, whether to be or not to be.
    If that dramatic struggle is an artistic one, they can do without everything but the barest survival necessities while they devote themselves to completing the great American novel or the finest in impressionist painting. The intensity of the struggle contributes to the greatness of the art. This is the artistic temperament. (A note: many beginners assume that every artist is a Four. Artist refers to talent and can occur in any number. The artistic temperament, so called, is frequently a Four, especially the starving artists who can often be Self-Preservation Fours locked in life-and-death-battles, being fought largely in their imaginations).
    Outside of that, most of it is meh.

Just going by the brief descriptions.... sp/sx still fits the best though: "Creative Individualist - recklessness in pursuit of authenticity" & "Drama Queen or King - beating the competition through power or style". I shudder in horror at the "drama queen" tag, but the 4 envy I experience is most applicable in this way, although I'd word it differently...

When reading the full descriptions, however, the sx sounds more applicable over all, but I think sp is still correct; this angle is just not the best. I see aspects of the so type in me too... If this was the only instinctual description I had ever read, though, then I'd type myself sx/so, or maybe sx/sp, which I think is wrong for me.

None of these are great to me (from http://www.enneagramwork.com), but sp is stil the best.

SP - Point Four - Dauntlessness (the Creative Individualist)
    This is the willingness to jump into new situations, to pack up and move, to get going or take risks when the preservation instinct is highlighted, or when the authentic life seems elsewhere. To other people, it may seem reckless, like throwing caution to the winds, but it can work well with an unorthodox, creative or artistic style. There is a tension here between wanting to acquire material security and feeling detached from it all.

SO - Point Four - Shame/Honor (the Critical Commentator)

Feelings of deficiency can be provoked by social situations
    , with envy directed toward other people's status or membership. This sub-type seeks to establish an acceptable social role, possibly as the emotional truth teller for the group. There is a need to resolve the tension between the quest for individual authenticity and social expectations.

SX - Point Four - Competitiveness (the Dramatic Person)

Competition with other people is used to overcome a feeling of inner deficiency and create motivation for a personal agenda. Other people's power or strength is taken as a personal challenge, and usually creates a strong reaction. One's own value tends to rise and fall in comparison with other people.
    If any other 4s come across this... how do you separate the tendency to lean towards sx & sp & reject so simply because of 4 tendencies in general & your actual instinctual stack (not asking out of doubt over my own type; just curiosity about others)?
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Junior Member Array UsurpersGonnaUsurp's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Sx/so. Describes me very well.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yay! I've got the least popular stacking on the forum. I'm special!
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast