User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

[QUOTE=Hazashin;1785326]I see your point. But, couldn't the dislike of surprises also be characteristic of Type 6? Or am I missing the point entirely?

I guess you could ask some type Sixes, but I think you will get a mixed bag of responses.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    So wait, if you're a socially anxious person, does that mean you're an So type?

No, I've been socially phobic in my childhood and im very sure that im So last.
    I think that is often a 6 problem of every stacking and wings. Not always but i think that is quite often.
    Specially in the child/teen years

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/so

So wait, if you're a socially anxious person, does that mean you're an So type?
    No, I didn't mean to imply that this was always the case. But it seems, from what I've seen, that SO-primaries often are socially anxious. They're people who are hyper-conscious of social interactions, which could lead to anxiety, or could lead to them feeling very comfortable socially. That's my understanding, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    If you're a 9, I have a feeling you should either consider 8 as a strong wing type, or change to 8w9. Because so far you don't come across as a 9. The Sp/So type 8 is most likely to dislike surprises in an effort to maintain control over the environment.
    Thanks. I definitely consider myself 9w8, and I may be 8w9 after all; I will consider it. There are many aspects of 9 that do not feel quite right to me. Are there any reasons I don't come across as a 9, other than saying I don't like surprises? That description of SP/SO 8 could be me, though I don't see myself as entrepreneurial. I definitely identify with seeing relationships as "getting in the way."

The major reason I decided I could not be an 8 is because the idea of protecting others is foreign to me. I don't see myself as taking people under my wing. I also have never been attracted to the underdog, in fact, quite the opposite. I have trouble sympathizing with people who are shy or find it difficult to speak their mind, assuming that if somebody has something to say, they will say it.

Of course, this goes a bit against the 9 mindset, too, doesn't it? I bet a lot of these people I don't sympathize with are 9s! I don't struggle stating my preferences, I struggle knowing what they are in the first place. That's what made me decide I was a 9; that I am very out of touch with what I want, both in day-to-day things, and in my life in general. Hm. I'm definitely a combination of the two.

Unless he/she's a 6.
    Actually, I just decided/realized that my head fix is 6w5, rather than 5w6, so this may be what's going on. What made me realize it was a description of a variety of counterphobic 6s emphasizing indifference: I don't care, it doesn't affect me. (It was on PersonalityCafe.) So maybe that's what's appearing 8ish here; that sort of blase attitude that's masking a need for a secure environment.
    Last edited by spiderfrommars; 02-09-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Forgot which website I read what on.

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I think I'm more like the SP/SO in that I don't restrict my interaction to a select few. I interact with lots of people and have acquaintances with many but when it comes to intimacy, I'm only intimate with a select few.

As far as fading into the background goes, there are various reasons for this. I naturally don't put myself out there. I'm in my head most of the time, absorbed in my own thoughts and impressions and it rarely occurs to me to share them with others. As a result people aren't aware of what I'm truly like.

Sometimes I would like to share things about myself but am concerned that the information could somehow be used against me or that someone might make a negative judgement on me based on the information I share. I do have a strong need to be liked by others and that compounds the issue, so oftentimes I only choose to share information that somehow feels safe.

Also if I get too outwardly involved with things, I don't enough of the quiet, alone time I need.
    Hmm. Interesting. What you say about choosing to share information only with certain people sounds a lot like the way I've seen the SX 5 described, and definitely fits in with 5 in general. SP/SO sounds possible (I relate to being diffuse but only being intimate with certain few), but for the most part SP/SX seems to fit better. I think their descriptions generally talk about them being private and others not being aware of what they are like, too.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, of course. I actually find the instincts the hardest part of the enneagram to understand; in a way I feel that I have none of them while others seem to have them all! And having a particular instinct first can manifest so many different ways.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfrommars View Post

Thanks. I definitely consider myself 9w8, and I may be 8w9 after all; I will consider it. There are many aspects of 9 that do not feel quite right to me. Are there any reasons I don't come across as a 9, other than saying I don't like surprises? That description of SP/SO 8 could be me, though I don't see myself as entrepreneurial. I definitely identify with seeing relationships as "getting in the way."

The major reason I decided I could not be an 8 is because the idea of protecting others is foreign to me. I don't see myself as taking people under my wing. I also have never been attracted to the underdog, in fact, quite the opposite. I have trouble sympathizing with people who are shy or find it difficult to speak their mind, assuming that if somebody has something to say, they will say it.
    Those are reasons to decide against 6. To me, that entire paragraph sounds like an 8 talking!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfrommars View Post
    Of course, this goes a bit against the 9 mindset, too, doesn't it? I bet a lot of these people I don't sympathize with are 9s! I don't struggle stating my preferences, I struggle knowing what they are in the first place. That's what made me decide I was a 9; that I am very out of touch with what I want, both in day-to-day things, and in my life in general. Hm. I'm definitely a combination of the two.
    I would consider 8 as against 9, except as a wing, but then I'm not you.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Those are reasons to decide against 6. To me, that entire paragraph sounds like an 8 talking!

I would consider 8 as against 9, except as a wing, but then I'm not you.
    Hmm. I've heard 8s described as protective, but I can definitely see how that's not a necessary trait. And I do agree that a 6 might be more likely to behave in the manner I described. My mindset is basically of "live and let live". And when I think about it, that's ultimately a pretty defensive mindset, that does suggest the 8 idea that the world is essentially hostile.

I've been considering it, and I believe that you're right; I am 8w9 instead of 9w8. After all, I guess that everybody my age struggles with knowing what they truly want in life, and everybody struggles with laziness and lethargy to some extent. Those were the parts of 9 I really identified with, and they could still effect me just from having a wing. I've thought about it more, and I really do have issues about being controlled or submitting to others. I also am very aggressive, and get more aggressive the more I'm upset. So, yeah, I think 8w9 ultimately makes more sense.

Thanks very much for giving me your advice! I really appreciate it.