• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts sp/sx vs sx/sp

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then what does it mean Sx insctint to you??

It means whatever the books say it means. There is a continuum of personal intensity, with Sx at the high end of intensity and Sp at the low end.

As a type 5 [edit - read as 5w4] and one of the most introverted types, the intensity is usually not apparent to others because I keep it internalized.

While I am certain there is such a thing as an Sx aura visible to other Sx types, that's not part of the definition of being an Sx which is the Instinctual with highest intensity.

I like the descriptions that go beyond the definition because they are more informative and I can learn more from them. For decades I was stuck with just a sketchy definition that was worthless even for determining my own stacking.

Last edited:

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It means whatever the books say it means. There is a continuum of personal intensity, with Sx at the high end of intensity and Sp at the low end.

As a type 5 and one of the most introverted types, the intensity is usually not apparent to others because I keep it internalized.

While I am certain there is such a thing as an Sx aura visible to other Sx types, that's not part of the definition of being an Sx which is the Instinctual with highest intensity.

I like the descriptions that go beyond the definition because they are more informative and I can learn more from them. For decades I was stuck with just a sketchy definition that was worthless even for determining my own stacking.

Sx insctint haves to do with sex... end of the story :)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

=10000, the rest is just emotional, circuitous and devious coping strategy.

And Sx 5's intensity is usually pretty visible, if it's not with mal, that may means that he's not truly Sx.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Notice that it doesn't say "sex instinct" which is a biological theory, or a psychological theory, but not a personality theory.

Your original question to me was, "Then what does it mean Sx insctint to you??" (I'm not sure why you insist on moving the "c" around in "instinct.") And that meaning, to me, can change on a daily basis. So you really can't say "end of story" without taking away the changeable subjective basis for meaning.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And Sx 5's intensity is usually pretty visible, if it's not with mal, that may means that he's not truly Sx.

Then my forum persona is not (usually) Sx.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is a continuum of personal intensity, with Sx at the high end of intensity and Sp at the low end.

That means that Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp are extremely hot/cold. Not much middle ground.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That means that Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp are extremely hot/cold. Not much middle ground.

That's right. The descriptions say that Sx/Sp is the most conflicted. And Sp/Sx is often described in very similar terms, which is the reason for this thread.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Upon trying to determine my own stackings I don't exactly consider what I am like on forums or the internet. This is not, to me, reality. I wasn't raised with internet around, and when I first got into typology I did not know what the internet was (although I had heard of it). But there is some indication, in one of the new Sx/Sp descriptions I read recently, that the Sx/Sp could engage in persona building.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Notice that it doesn't say "sex instinct" which is a biological theory, or a psychological theory, but not a personality theory.

Your original question to me was, "Then what does it mean Sx insctint to you??" (I'm not sure why you insist on moving the "c" around in "instinct.") And that meaning, to me, can change on a daily basis. So you really can't say "end of story" without taking away the changeable subjective basis for meaning.

Why so defensive man...

Im only saying that the root of Sx instinct is simply sex, breed, attracting the right mate.
Pd: Thx for the english correction, im from chile sou ya know somtaims ai meik som misteiks

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why so defensive man...

Im only saying that the root of Sx instinct is simply sex, breed, attracting the right mate.
Pd: Thx for the english correction, im from chile sou ya know somtaims ai meik som misteiks

You should have responded that you were only following my lead. After all, I'm the one who rejected the entire question of its personal meaning. Have you seen the thread where I answered it?

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should have responded that you were only following my lead. After all, I'm the one who rejected the entire question of its personal meaning. Have you seen the thread where I answered it?

I dont mind, Sx instinct it's about what the word says, sex, breed, cuz at the end is instinctive, animalistic if you want. No need to theorize too much about. That's the root, now how you deal with that, it's your own bussines...
And btw, the root of our personalities is biological, you should know that.

Maybe im not as hyper-argumentative as you are,maybe my answers are somewhat dumb to you, maybe my IQ is much more lower than yours :(

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont mind, Sx instinct it's about what the word says, sex, breed, cuz at the end is instinctive, animalistic if you want. No need to theorize too much about. That's the root, now how you deal with that, it's your own bussines...

Maybe im not as hyper-argumentative as you are,maybe my answers are somewhat dumb to you, maybe my IQ is much more lower than yours :(

No. As I indicated originally, its about what the "book", i.e., the enneagram says it is. And that comes from Oscar Ichavo the founder of the modern enneagram and instinctuals theory.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx is all about desires and connections to reality in a nutshell. Sx types are run by their desires, they may feel like they are seeking the perfect "fit" in many aspects of their lives. They are also characterized by their connections to reality because these desires sort of dictate their cognition in a way, something less desirable will have less thought put into it, etc. Something not relevant to their desires will be discarded mentally even if it it realistically important.

Sp is all about feeling one with their environment in one way or another (manifestations differ based on type). This environment also encompasses their mind, especially within the more introverted types (4, 5, 9). A lot of Sp firsts have a mystical feel about them because they have a very inward focus, and aren't as swayed by other people as compared to Sx and So types. There is the individual (Sx), the greater (Soc), and then the self (Sp). They are typically more grounded because they are not really motivated as much by people as the other two subtypes. Remember it's about preserving the self.

Basically, Sx/Sp will have all of the traits of an Sx dominant type, and have some minor traits of the Sp type. The inverse goes for Sp/Sx. So Sx/Sps are focused on their own desires and individual connections, and are also one with their environment and are a bit more practical. Sx and Sp conflict because oftentimes Sx's priorities will be too reckless for their Sp side, and the person must come up with a compromise that satisfies both. Sp/Sx is more earthy, the Sx encourages them to expand on their environment in a very personal and typically very focused/specific way. Since Sp takes over the psyche, Sp and Sx don't conflict near as much because they are focused mainly on their own safety in one way or another, they can just simply dismiss a lot of what their Sx says or factor it in in a safe way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sx is all about desires and connections to reality in a nutshell. Sx types are run by their desires, they may feel like they are seeking the perfect "fit" in many aspects of their lives. They are also characterized by their connections to reality because these desires sort of dictate their cognition in a way, something less desirable will have less thought put into it, etc. Something not relevant to their desires will be discarded mentally even if it it realistically important.

More likely, Sx is a source of impulsiveness. For example, the description of the 8 sx-dom indicates this.

Sp is all about feeling one with their environment in one way or another (manifestations differ based on type). This environment also encompasses their mind, especially within the more introverted types (4, 5, 9). A lot of Sp firsts have a mystical feel about them because they have a very inward focus, and aren't as swayed by other people as compared to Sx and So types. There is the individual (Sx), the greater (Soc), and then the self (Sp). They are typically more grounded because they are not really motivated as much by people as the other two subtypes. Remember it's about preserving the self.

This description was more obscure to me, but yes they are more grounded. I just have a hard time seeing them as having a "mystical feel" while being more grounded at the same time.

Basically, Sx/Sp will have all of the traits of an Sx dominant type, and have some minor traits of the Sp type. The inverse goes for Sp/Sx. So Sx/Sps are focused on their own desires and individual connections, and are also one with their environment and are a bit more practical. Sx and Sp conflict because oftentimes Sx's priorities will be too reckless for their Sp side, and the person must come up with a compromise that satisfies both. Sp/Sx is more earthy, the Sx encourages them to expand on their environment in a very personal and typically very focused/specific way. Since Sp takes over the psyche, Sp and Sx don't conflict near as much because they are focused mainly on their own safety in one way or another, they can just simply dismiss a lot of what their Sx says or factor it in in a safe way.

"Individual connection" means "one-on-one"? That description was even more obscure, although I agree with parts of it. Other descriptions I've read have more interesting things to say about these two types.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. As I indicated originally, its about what the "book", i.e., the enneagram says it is. And that comes from Oscar Ichavo the founder of the modern enneagram and instinctuals theory.

I know about Oscar Ichazo
But what book??

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know about Oscar Ichazo
But what book??

Not book, just "book." But Riso and I think Palmer discuss Instinctuals, and there is Katherine Chernick's book on Instinctuals.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes the root of personality is biological, but the dominance of specific instincts is based on environment.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im not catching the point.
Could you explain this?

Either instinctual dominance is innate, or it is based in environmental conditions. Something I read in a book indicated that it was environmental, for example, someone whose need for security was not met as a child. This could lead either to an Sp-dom, or someone who develops another instinct to meet those needs, as with the So/Sp.

As for Sx meaning literally "sex," you forgot about sublimation which redirects sexual impulses toward other, higher pursuits, such as art.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, if I'm a core SX 9w1 but SP elsewhere (notably a strong SP 5w6 that's almost as strong as my SX 9w1), am I sx/sp or sp/sx?

Simple question. Why has no one answered yet?!?!?