• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] The real nature of Sx/So

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ agreed.

(how this in an Ne-dom differs from an Se-dom interests me.)

G

Ginkgo

I think sx/so resembles the archetypical "champion", or hero (so/sx coming in close), while sx/sp resembles the Byronic, wounded hero.

A

Anew Leaf

I find SX/SO types to be incredibly charismatic and intense to a degree quite beyond what I can bring. I am usually pretty impressed with how deftly they can maneuver the social realm since I am SO-blind.

Permabanned
I find SX/SO types to be incredibly charismatic and intense to a degree quite beyond what I can bring. I am usually pretty impressed with how deftly they can maneuver the social realm since I am SO-blind.
:rly???:
Can you elaborate? :thinking:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ne is impulsive while Se is impetuous, perhaps?

^ agreed.

(how this in an Ne-dom differs from an Se-dom interests me.)

dunno if this is what you were getting at, rex, but i would assume the sx intensity in a Ne-dom manifests more in the attachment to and immersion in the concept of whatever you're doing versus the actual experience of whatever you're doing. as example, i can get completely immersed just lying on the black leather couch in the gray room with the red lacquered table with the lights off watching murder mysteries. it's not like i'm actually there or i'm really doing anything engaging, but i'm totally wrapped up in the experience of it because everything has the right "feeling". correspondingly, i imagine this relates to NF, too. i am ALL about atmosphere. whereas would guess for NTP sx-dom it's more in the idea development and testing, while for Se doms it's probably about present experience, immersion in the sensory aspects of here and now, the physicality of existence - and emotional attunement in SFs versus technical maneuvering in STs. i would suspect TPs are more interested in categorizing and doing in the moment versus FPs who are more interested in emotionally internalizing the moment.

just my initial thoughts on it :)

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lots of people type as Sx/So because they like to connect with people and seek intimacy from others. while it's true that Sx/So's do this, virtually everyone would say they do/like this and there is a lot more to Sx/So than just this.

Sx/So's of any type are
- raw
- instinctual
- passionate
- impulsive
- intense
- lusty/desirous
- full of sexual energy, it may not be directed toward sex, but it is still a sexual energy
- demand attention (and tend to get it)
- emotional
- a yin/yang quality. fiery, lusty and intense some of the time; tender and intimate at other times.
- a sense of longing for something

obvious these traits are going to be a little more intense in some types (say, an ESFP 7w8) and a little more down played in others (say, an ISTJ 1w9) but they are still there no matter what enneagram or MBTI type the person is.
how does this list differ for sx/sp?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
dunno if this is what you were getting at, rex, but i would assume the sx intensity in a Ne-dom manifests more in the attachment to and immersion in the concept of whatever you're doing versus the actual experience of whatever you're doing. as example, i can get completely immersed just lying on the black leather couch in the gray room with the red lacquered table with the lights off watching murder mysteries. it's not like i'm actually there or i'm really doing anything engaging, but i'm totally wrapped up in the experience of it because everything has the right "feeling". correspondingly, i imagine this relates to NF, too. i am ALL about atmosphere. whereas would guess for NTP sx-dom it's more in the idea development and testing, while for Se doms it's probably about present experience, immersion in the sensory aspects of here and now, the physicality of existence - and emotional attunement in SFs versus technical maneuvering in STs. i would suspect TPs are more interested in categorizing and doing in the moment versus FPs who are more interested in emotionally internalizing the moment.

just my initial thoughts on it :)

Honestly, the distinction was just one of those wordless intuitions on my part. If I were to backpedal it a bit, I'd probably say that it was something about how energy is directed for Ne-users vs Se-users. I assume there's some inherent qualities particular to the sx/so variant, so the difference is in what facet of those inherent qualities is emphasized.

For an ENP sx/so, I believe the inflection is going to be sx/so, because the scattered, outward nature of the energy of the social variant meshes with the nature of Ne. For an ESP sx/so, the emphasis is sx/so, as I feel the more aggressive, intense and occasionally transgressive energy of the sexual variant is more reflective of Se.

So if the question is how either type is gonna be impatient. My thought would be that an Ne-user is gonna be suceptible to caprice, while with an Se-user it's more a driving, hell or high water desire to have something. Not to say that overlap isn't possible, but if we're characterizing the qualities more likely to get one or the other into trouble, this is my intuition on how to describe them.

Proffesor Crackpot

MBTI Type
~NTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
dunno if this is what you were getting at, rex, but i would assume the sx intensity in a Ne-dom manifests more in the attachment to and immersion in the concept of whatever you're doing versus the actual experience of whatever you're doing.

I can relate to this. Today my friend asked me to come over his house for a party and I was really excited when he first asked me because I started imagining all the possiblitiies of what could happen at the party. Then around an hour before the party started I lost my buzz and was just completely uninterested in going. That's Ne- dom 7 sx-dom all the way. Funny thing though my SO- second variant keeps tugging at me.

B

brainheart

Dunno.

I think many are, yes. But not always. You are like "Sx/So are great necessarly", it's impossible that every Sx/So's are like that.

Many Sx/So's are actually also:

-shy
-hung up

-close-minded
-dogmatic
-paranoid
-shizotipal and/or schizoid
-cowards
-extremely avoidant and reclusive
-hateful of people and of the opposite sex
-repress their impulsions and instincts
-frugal and prude
-obsessive-compulsive
-dependant personality disorder
-low-key and effaced

- etc

It took me a long time to see the sx/so due to being very much the bolded at times.

That said, I relate to everything on [MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]'s list as well. And he saw the sx/so in me, so...

[MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION], as an INFP 4w5, I'm way more 'wounded, Byronic hero' than a 'champion', that's for damn sure.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wonder if this can help. I didn't realize this until this one book I read after a year of reading stuff online. It says that the sexual instinct is basically ruled by the gut triad. The social instinct is ruled by the shame triad, and the self-preservation instinct is ruled by the head triad.

Here is another good page. This may not answer exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

http://www.enneagram.net/subtypeschart.html

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ah, the joys and despairs of being sx :)

good list... i feel like there is a good representation of energy... i think that is really what sx is all about... communication and interpretation of energy...

i do think it's important to note there's a sort of "rawness" in sx/sp and sp/sx that is not in sx/so... i think we are more "magnetic" and less "raw", if you understand my meaning... certainly we are intense and we do expose our very deep selves but i think in some ways it is more padded, more cushioned... we never lose that awareness of how we are fitting into the whole, so we cannot ever completely remove ourselves, unlike that stunningly beautiful stark individual energy you will see in sx-sp types...

i also think that there is some important element in sx of longing... of course that is true for humans as a whole but i am guessing sx/so and so/sx will tend to do liminality more than others, because we have that intense need for intimacy of all sx's, but we tend to limit ourselves because of the so-awareness...

Yes, I think secondary so smothers over a lot of the more raw and direct energy you get from sx/sp. I think this ultimately has to do with energy focus because whereas the sx/sp is very intense in the all-or-nothing kind of way, sx/so doesn't have that kind of attitude.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder if SX/SO is linked with being impatient?

all sx is linked with being impatient. "wants what he wants when he wants it." etc.

This pretty much. I am so impatient once I set my mind on something and I decide I want it. Having a strong connection to both 7 and 8 (people should really think over what it means to be lustful, avaricious and greedy coupled with sx energy), it's just incredibly frustrating if I have to wait one second more than necessary. I want, I need, I must have now.