User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    5w4

Default The relationship between the two most dominant instincts

Whether Sp/Sx or Sx/Sp (as an example), what makes one instinct dominant and the other 'supporting'? What puts one in front of the other? What is the relationship or struggle between the two?

I think most of us know which 2 instinctual variants dominate us, but are unsure of the order.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

I don't think there's a real difference, frankly.
    Hello

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I think most of us know which 2 instinctual variants dominate us, but are unsure of the order.
    I don't think so.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The way I learned about it was that our second instinct is the one that we focus on the most because we use the second instinct to supplement the first. Our first instinct comes naturally to us and it's something that we just react to without much thought to it. An example of this would be a prostitute. They're usually sp/sx, because even though they're service is based around sex, most use their sexuality to attend to their sp needs.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    The way I learned about it was that our second instinct is the one that we focus on the most because we use the second instinct to supplement the first. Our first instinct comes naturally to us and it's something that we just react to without much thought to it. An example of this would be a prostitute. They're usually sp/sx, because even though they're service is based around sex, most use their sexuality to attend to their sp needs.
    I heard it was the other way around. The second instinct comes naturally and is the easiest to use, but the first is the one you put the most effort into and focus on the most.

(Originally posted by Giovanni on PersonalityCafe)
    Dominant Subtype -
    This is the instinct that concerns you the most. This is the one that you put the most effort into, that you struggle with and think about the most, that you try to be good at. It's the one that absorbs your mind the most and tends to throw you off center. On one hand you are good at it, on the other you often worry about it.

Middle Subtype -
    This instinct is more natural and the easiest of the three subtype areas for you. It requires the least energy. You generally have fewer problems in this area of your life.

Last Subtype -
    This is the instinct that you pay the least attention or even neglect. It's the one you try not to think about, that causes stress precisely because of your avoidance of it in your life.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

the first instinct is what you do left to your own devices. I'm Sp dom, so I naturally gravitate towards ensuring my own comfort and safety and collecting things of value to me.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Anew Leaf

I test very high on both SP and SX, usually within a few points of each other. I feel like I am SX/SP wherein the SP side of me tends to "bug" me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I am borderline sp/sx also, usually with sp first. I will be interested to read what others have to say, to understand this better.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I don't really relate to the OP because I'm sp-dominant beyond a shadow of doubt, but sx and so are battling it out for second place and there's no clear winner so far as I can see.

Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, I'm aware that many are unsure of their last two instincts...or all three. Heh.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

Interesting...looks like we have opposing definitions here. Thanks for the replies so far, guys.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI