• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] Sx Obsessions

wolfy

awsm
Yes I agree. I think there's this intense immediate feeling any time you're really into something you're doing. Like climbing for me. A rush of adrenaline, a sense of being a part something, moving over or around, reacting to obstacles but everything seeming almost natural, like this is what I was born to do. I had sort of always associated it with sx for some reason. That intensity I guess.

I believe wolfy had talked about the idea of 'flow' before. Seems kind of similar to me.

This.
Yeah, It does remind me of it. It has interested me for a long time and I have read a lot on it. Based some work on it too.

The core characteristic of sx doms is that they are driven to develop 1-0n-1 relationships. Even though the sexual tendency is to be attracted to those you are sexually attracted to, sx instincts are also concerned with all other 1-0n-one relationships. I wonder if we could take this further and say that sx drives us to develop relationships with ideas, objects, causes, and other things - relationships that border on obsession or hobby. Do you think this is feasible? If it is, are our definitions of the sx drive too narrow?

Seems viable to me. I am sp/sx which would conflict over other things in a way I can understand. The idea seems to scale well.

These thoughts cross my mind with this hypothesis:
  1. People are concepts to me so it's not much of a logical stretch that other concepts would also be of intense interest.
  2. Sx is intimacy. You can only become intimate with intangible or inanimate objects if it's one-sided. So the question is, is this true intimacy or just a delusion?
  3. Why this drive for intimacy? If you consider intellectual hoarding whereby to understand is a form of control, is sx a form of emotional control?

I would see it as more of a emotional bonding, where you would be after the rush. Maybe like a parasite to a host, Venom to Spiderman.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, obsessions. How I love 'em :D

Was talking with a sp/sx INTP about this kind of issue the other day, actually, and the gulf between our manners of engaging with our interests was very obvious. He saw "obsession" with a particular interest/idea etc as being something inherently unhealthy, signalling a mental outlook that has become too narrowed-in to "work properly", and explained that, whenever he felt himself entering this kind of state, he would consciously back off from whatever the interest might be. For sx-firsts it seems like it's pretty much the reverse: the obsession, the single-focus, and the resultant experiential intensity, is the the point.

Like this:

Wanting to develop a strong "interpersonal" one on one relationship with things they are attracted to in some way. It's like trying to achieve metaphorical orgasm all the time in life.

:D

Definitely relate to the idea of obsessions with ideas, activities, cultural artefacts, etc, as a kind of relationship; I've long framed it this way to myself. I once read someone describe obsession as being "in love with something that can't love you back". For me it certainly is this sort of tenor of experience.

I relate a lot to the concept of flow, too; that sensation of being so completely immersed in/"at one" with what you're doing that everything outside of it just falls away. And I love the unselfconsciousness of this state; as whatever experience you're engaged in expands and deepens to fill up everything, the ego just kind of...dissolves.

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He saw "obsession" with a particular interest/idea etc as being something inherently unhealthy, signalling a mental outlook that has become too narrowed-in to "work properly"

:shocking:

Wow. No way! Obsession is when I learn the most :p. Now I have to go talk to the sp-types and figure them out.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get attached to physical possessions way too easily. Then I can't throw away stupid things.

Also, how do you feel about animals? Too animate? Because I get really focused on pets.

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now I have to go talk to the sp-types and figure them out.

Lemme know if you manage it; maybe you can enlighten the rest of us ;)

Che, strange non-sx-doms, with their non-sx-dom ways of interacting with the world...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will absolutely dissect, pull apart, sift, pick, string, separate and explode something/someone that has drawn my attention. My perhaps obsessive drive to get at the pith of any object - the etymology of it, the genesis moment - extends to a great many things, like words, or feelings, or colors.

I'm daft as a brick about some things that may seem obvious to others, but what I do catch on to, I hold surely and take down to atoms. I think that has to do with my Ni following every strand of the spider web, my Fe need to soak it up and make the knowledge of it, the eureka, all and irrevocably *mine*.

My focus tends to go downward, quantum level, instead of upward, outward facing. Vulcan mind meld. I wish I could do that. Place my fingers on someone, something, and draw the essence of its pulse into me.

For better or worse, I won't stop until it's over, or unless someone snaps me out of it. I can disappear from sight for hours, days at a time. I don't consider myself a philosopher, but I do need to make contact within the circuit. I'm not a voyeur, I'm parasitic. *laughs*

All your base/knowledgez are belong to me (for now).

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I will absolutely dissect, pull apart, sift, pick, string, separate and explode something/someone that has drawn my attention. My perhaps obsessive drive to get at the pith of any object - the etymology of it, the genesis moment - extends to a great many things, like words, or feelings, or colors.

I'm daft as a brick about some things that may seem obvious to others, but what I do catch on to, I hold surely and take down to atoms. I think that has to do with my Ni following every strand of the spider web, my Fe need to soak it up and make the knowledge of it, the eureka, all and irrevocably *mine*. My focus tends to go downward, quantum level, instead of upward, outward facing.

For better or worse, I won't stop until it's over, or unless someone snaps me out of it. I can disappear from sight for hours, days at a time. I don't consider myself a philosopher, but I do need to make contact within the circuit. I'm not a voyeur, I'm parasitic. *laughs*

So expressive you are. That is exactly how if feels for me. Thanks for putting such great words to it. :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So expressive you are. That is exactly how if feels for me. Thanks for putting such great words to it. :)

No, I'm honored to be in here with so many astute minds. I'm drawing clarity from it.

And LOL at wolfy's "parasite" comment. I hadn't read that when I wrote it. hahahah, YUCK...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone noticed that if you stare at colors you can see the elements in them? Like, that purple seems "black" to me. That white seems "warm". I do the same with words. Does that word stand alone? Has it ever? Can it? Does it need support?

I see these colors and "word meanings" in human beings too. Not sure how that translates.

My ENFP so/sx twin tells me that my obsessive love and pull toward detail and mastery of very specific knowledge would make her head explode.

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=1456]Domino[/MENTION]: I am not SX but I totally have those moments. Some words have a certain feel to me. Is it the right word? Is it the right nuance? Sometimes, when I write, words just pop up even if I have rarely used the word in my speech and a lightbulb goes off. :) About the humans thing, it makes sense. some folks are dark and sinister, others are light and delicate and some are neon colored "full of life". I get vibes off of people in that way. I would say you are more bright colored to me. :)

G

Ginkgo

I'm daft as a brick about some things that may seem obvious to others, but what I do catch on to, I hold surely and take down to atoms. I think that has to do with my Ni following every strand of the spider web, my Fe need to soak it up and make the knowledge of it, the eureka, all and irrevocably *mine*.

My focus tends to go downward, quantum level, instead of upward, outward facing. Vulcan mind meld. I wish I could do that. Place my fingers on someone, something, and draw the essence of its pulse into me.

Amen.

B

brainheart

Wow, thanks for that. That's so totally my usual state...

My husband has gotten sick over the last three weeks, mysteriously severely can barely move ill. I'm pretty much non-stop researching/trying to figure it out. I very much get in this state of flow where nothing else exists but this problem I have to solve with all of the endless amounts of information I can get my hands on. Everything else (except caring for him) disappears from my consciousness- I have no idea what I'm doing physically a lot of the time, for example. He says I'm like I was when I was writing a novel- all I think about, all consuming. I get very obsessed about something, and I go as deep as I am capable. I think the fact that it's happening to my loved one compounds it to crazy levels as well. And it is as if I don't exist, or my ego evaporates...

Something I was thinking about- do you think sexual variant types are more likely to think of things in terms of 'relating'- I relate to that description, I relate to that person, etc. I always find myself using that word and feeling the relation.

VagrantFarce

That "flow" concept is interesting.

I suppose it's meant to express that feeling of overcoming your "default" state of being - everyone's personality "falls back" in a certain way, and "flow" is meant to express that feeling you get when you're able to get out of it.

gromit

likes this
Yeah, It does remind me of it. It has interested me for a long time and I have read a lot on it. Based some work on it too.

What kind of work wolfy?

Another thing I thought of. When I'm creating something, it's almost like whatever I'm making is contributing as much to the process as I am. Like it halfway makes itself, and in some ways I'm almost obeying it.

The craft/product has a way that it wants to be and I have a sense of that, keep trying different things until I get it. It's a little bit thrilling for the process to narrow in on whatever it's going to be. Sometimes my vision for what I'm making is spot on from the beginning, sometimes the path diverges from where I started and I'm quite surprised by the results, but if I get myself in the right kind of mental state as I'm doing it, I'm usually pleased afterward with whatever it ends up as.

A really good understanding of the qualities of the materials helps of course, but the exploration of the materials can be a part of the process too - exploring can help to discover as well.

Bamboozle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Something I was thinking about- do you think sexual variant types are more likely to think of things in terms of 'relating'- I relate to that description, I relate to that person, etc. I always find myself using that word and feeling the relation.

And with the 'I relate thing'—yes? Kind of? When I'm trying to cobble together ideas, especially out of a lot of ideas, my first move is to separate them all into, 'Like' and 'don't like'. The stronger the attachment, the more impressive I feel the idea to be and/or the bigger part I feel that idea should play in whatever I'm creating.

Also, I agree with the flow thing.

G

Ginkgo

I'm actually a manticore sx. I take the best aspects of everyone I know, the lion, the scorpion, and the bat, to form a superbeing with the best aspects of all.

Manticore.jpg

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You left out hedgehogs.