User Tag List

Default Question About Instinctual Variants

Are the instinctual variants supposed to exist within the enneatype as variants of that type, or are they separate? I've heard that the instinctual variants weren't actually made as a part of the enneagram, and that they're only associated with one another because they became popular at around the same time. If that's true, then are they meant to be looked at as completely separate systems, or have they perhaps come to be incorporated into one another so that the instinctual variants are variants within each type, as type-specific variant descriptions seem to demonstrate?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Yeah, instincts are a separated typology.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Are the instinctual variants supposed to exist within the enneatype as variants of that type, or are they separate? I've heard that the instinctual variants weren't actually made as a part of the enneagram, and that they're only associated with one another because they became popular at around the same time. If that's true, then are they meant to be looked at as completely separate systems, or have they perhaps come to be incorporated into one another so that the instinctual variants are variants within each type, as type-specific variant descriptions seem to demonstrate?
    Instinctuals are a separate typology. But G.I. Gurdjieff mentioned a fourth spiritual center which he called the "instinctive" or "moving" center. Oscar Ichavo picked up on that. So while it is related to the enneagram, it would be difficult to include this as a fourth enneagram center because of the structure of the enneagram.

That being said, there are at least four and probably seven spiritual centers to man's being. But the other centers are almost never developed, and when they are, they always subsume the lower centers. So Man One has nothing of Man Seven, but Man Seven incorporates Man One through Six. That's not to be confused with Riso's levels of development, as they only deal with Man One, Two, and Three, who are all three on the same spiritual plane. So Man Three is not more spiritually advanced than Man One and Two, unlike Man Four who is more spiritually advanced.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”