• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] Understanding the Social Instinct

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well yes, but my point is that the descriptions are irrelevant. Figure out the bare values and principles that the descriptions are based on, then look for those in yourself - that will get you a lot further than looking for a description that sorta-kinda-maybe describes what you're like some of the time.

exactly. I'm extremely Sp, but the descriptions I relate most to at face value are the Sx/So ones

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What E-types are Pee Wee Herman, Donovan McNabb, Jacob Gyllenhaal, and Mira Sorvino?

Pee Wee Herman: 2w3 So/Sp
Donovan McNabb: 6w5 Sp/So
Mira Sorvino: 9w1 Sx/Sp

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Pee Wee Herman: 2w3 So/Sp
Donovan McNabb: 6w5 Sp/So
Mira Sorvino: 9w1 Sx/Sp

Awesome, thanks. I didn't know E-typing was this easy. How about Brad Gilbert, Lucille Ball, Mehmet Oz, and George St. Pierre?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome, thanks. I didn't know E-typing was this easy. How about Brad Gilbert, Lucille Ball, Mehmet Oz, and George St. Pierre?

Brad Gilbert: 3w2 Sp/So.
Lucille Ball: 7w8 So/Sx
Mehmet Oz: 3w4 So/Sp

B

brainheart

exactly. I'm extremely Sp, but the descriptions I relate most to at face value are the Sx/So ones

My guess is that's because you're a seven so it makes you seem more impulsive and extroverted. I've been facing the same problem typing my husband, who I also think is a seven. He seems very so/sx in his presentation, but it seems that the instincts that pull him the most are sp and so.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My guess is that's because you're a seven so it makes you seem more impulsive and extroverted. I've been facing the same problem typing my husband, who I also think is a seven. He seems very so/sx in his presentation, but it seems that the instincts that pull him the most are sp and so.

I think it's more the w8 than the 7. the w8 gives me a sort of "ah HELL no" quality that adds a little color and edge to my personality

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, determining my dominant variant is easy- so obviously sexual it's absurd- its the order of the next two that seems kind of arbitrary. Based on the descriptions I posted I seem to be sx/so, but I read the ocean moonshine stuff and watch the video examples and I seem much more sx/sp. (in honesty, I don't relate to the sp much at all- I am very impractical, I have no concept of money, I could care less about food, people talk about health and fitness and I want to run into an electric fence, but the sx/sos seem so dang energetic and extroverted.) So yeah, confusing.

it's confusing for me too...i don't feel like i much care about how i fit into a group. i prefer people to just be their own lil selves interacting with each other as they feel like it...but belonging...or having a place within the machine sounds so unlike whatever i concern myself with...i care about comfort as far as coziness and atmosphere and want my people to feel taken care of...but i don't feel preoccupied with getting mine...or making sure that i am comfortable...or have enough or whatever....but sx...i can feel it...the energy tentacles out probing others against my will...yeah...so hell i have no idea if i'm sx/so or sx/sp i don't feel as extroverted and energetic or whatever that sx/so people are...but maybe i am.

B

brainheart

I think people are a little confused by the social instinct, especially how it manifests in introverts. I have to admit I was pretty oblivious about how much it affects me. But then I began to look at myself objectively. I am always studying social interactions, social structures, ranging from a concert audience to this forum. I'm always asking, where do I fit into this, how do I not fit into this, how could this be improved. I am a vegetarian, try to buy organic, local food, thrift shop, etc, more due to how my actions affect others than how it affects me. I see the things that others of my education and experience have accomplished and it hurts me. My least favorite question is, "what do you do?" Because I can't provide an answer that would please me- published author, in a band, professor, concert venue owner, bookstore owner, art therapist at a prison, etc. I cannot make a decision without considering how it affects others, from my kids to the universe.

I guess what I'm saying is, reading about status and prestige didn't click as something that matter to me until I really thought about it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think people are a little confused by the social instinct, especially how it manifests in introverts. I have to admit I was pretty oblivious about how much it affects me. But then I began to look at myself objectively. I am always studying social interactions, social structures, ranging from a concert audience to this forum. I'm always asking, where do I fit into this, how do I not fit into this, how could this be improved. I am a vegetarian, try to buy organic, local food, thrift shop, etc, more due to how my actions affect others than how it affects me. I see the things that others of my education and experience have accomplished and it hurts me. My least favorite question is, "what do you do?" Because I can't provide an answer that would please me- published author, in a band, professor, concert venue owner, bookstore owner, art therapist at a prison, etc. I cannot make a decision without considering how it affects others, from my kids to the universe.

I guess what I'm saying is, reading about status and prestige didn't click as something that matter to me until I really thought about it.

Social dominant INFPs are advocates for social justice, defenders of civil liberties and overall just people bent on making the world a better place

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
SOCIAL RECOGNITION (respect, approval by others)

SENSE OF BELONGING (feeling that others care about me).

(Schwartz's Values Survey)

When I think of the social variant, I think of 'macro consciousness'. I think of notions like- networks, systems, connections, roles, hierarchies, positions, contexts, input/output/contribution, involvement/participation, belonging. It's about acknowledging the relations between things, YOUR relations to things (to God, to the universe, to the ecosystem, to your friends and family, to colleagues etc). It can be impersonal, or personal, and doesn't have to mean a 'relationship' per se. It seems like Fe and SO go hand in hand in some ways.

Anyway, these are my current thoughts as I try to understand this perspective.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Social dominant INFPs are advocates for social justice, defenders of civil liberties and overall just people bent on making the world a better place

So rich.

Lark

Some of the posts in this thread so far made me laugh so, so hard.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yeah, I know what you mean.

A lot of the so stereotypes don't fit me (basically because they're wrong): I'm not an obsessed social climber, keen to kiss asses to get ahead(I HATE networking!). Success does matter to me to a degree but it is my interpretation of the word not society's. Primarily, the manifestation of the instinct in myself is in a desire improve society (interest in politics, social issues etc), an ability to adapt to different social situations, and generally being over-anxious about what others think of me.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7

A lot of the so stereotypes don't fit me (basically because they're wrong): I'm not an obsessed social climber, keen to kiss asses to get ahead(I HATE networking!). Success does matter to me to a degree but it is my interpretation of the word not society's. Primarily, the manifestation of the instinct in myself is in a desire improve society (interest in politics, social issues etc), an ability to adapt to different social situations, and generally being over-anxious about what others think of me.

I wouldn't say they're wrong, they just don't apply to you. For example, I'm a so first and I am definitely obsessed with the whole social ladder thing. I really love being ahead of others and fraternizing with the popular people in any environment and I tend to keep away from those that are less popular or those that can ruin my reputation. I don't kiss ass, however, because I find that in order to that, you have to be pretentious and that's something that I don't really feel comfortable with being an INFP and all. Also, the stuff I've bolded up above are all the things that apply to me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think this is an Fi thing. people who kiss ass to get ahead disgust me

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wouldn't say they're wrong, they just don't apply to you. For example, I'm a so first and I am definitely obsessed with the whole social ladder thing. I really love being ahead of others and fraternizing with the popular people in any environment and I tend to keep away from those that are less popular or those that can ruin my reputation. I don't kiss ass, however, because I find that in order to that, you have to be pretentious and that's something that I don't really feel comfortable with being an INFP and all. Also, the stuff I've bolded up above are all the things that apply to me.
Oh, I don't mean that so types don't ever seek popularity or to climb the social ladder etc. I only mean to say that it is not characteristic of all so types. An interest in or awareness of social hierarchy certainly is a so quality, but so-firsts do not necessarily desire to partake in that world. I think the stereotypes tend to overstate how actively involved in social politics a so-first must be.

I think this is an Fi thing. people who kiss ass to get ahead disgust me
Me too but I'm sure its not a Fi thing - just a general aversion to affectation. :)