User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

brainheart

I think people are a little confused by the social instinct, especially how it manifests in introverts. I have to admit I was pretty oblivious about how much it affects me. But then I began to look at myself objectively. I am always studying social interactions, social structures, ranging from a concert audience to this forum. I'm always asking, where do I fit into this, how do I not fit into this, how could this be improved. I am a vegetarian, try to buy organic, local food, thrift shop, etc, more due to how my actions affect others than how it affects me. I see the things that others of my education and experience have accomplished and it hurts me. My least favorite question is, "what do you do?" Because I can't provide an answer that would please me- published author, in a band, professor, concert venue owner, bookstore owner, art therapist at a prison, etc. I cannot make a decision without considering how it affects others, from my kids to the universe.

I guess what I'm saying is, reading about status and prestige didn't click as something that matter to me until I really thought about it.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    I think people are a little confused by the social instinct, especially how it manifests in introverts. I have to admit I was pretty oblivious about how much it affects me. But then I began to look at myself objectively. I am always studying social interactions, social structures, ranging from a concert audience to this forum. I'm always asking, where do I fit into this, how do I not fit into this, how could this be improved. I am a vegetarian, try to buy organic, local food, thrift shop, etc, more due to how my actions affect others than how it affects me. I see the things that others of my education and experience have accomplished and it hurts me. My least favorite question is, "what do you do?" Because I can't provide an answer that would please me- published author, in a band, professor, concert venue owner, bookstore owner, art therapist at a prison, etc. I cannot make a decision without considering how it affects others, from my kids to the universe.

I guess what I'm saying is, reading about status and prestige didn't click as something that matter to me until I really thought about it.
    Social dominant INFPs are advocates for social justice, defenders of civil liberties and overall just people bent on making the world a better place
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Banned
    MBTI
    me

SOCIAL RECOGNITION (respect, approval by others)

SENSE OF BELONGING (feeling that others care about me).

(Schwartz's Values Survey)

When I think of the social variant, I think of 'macro consciousness'. I think of notions like- networks, systems, connections, roles, hierarchies, positions, contexts, input/output/contribution, involvement/participation, belonging. It's about acknowledging the relations between things, YOUR relations to things (to God, to the universe, to the ecosystem, to your friends and family, to colleagues etc). It can be impersonal, or personal, and doesn't have to mean a 'relationship' per se. It seems like Fe and SO go hand in hand in some ways.

Anyway, these are my current thoughts as I try to understand this perspective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Social dominant INFPs are advocates for social justice, defenders of civil liberties and overall just people bent on making the world a better place
    So rich.

thinking of you

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    So rich.
    why? just saying that doesn't explain anything
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Some of the posts in this thread so far made me laugh so, so hard.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post

Yeah, I know what you mean.

A lot of the so stereotypes don't fit me (basically because they're wrong): I'm not an obsessed social climber, keen to kiss asses to get ahead(I HATE networking!). Success does matter to me to a degree but it is my interpretation of the word not society's. Primarily, the manifestation of the instinct in myself is in a desire improve society (interest in politics, social issues etc), an ability to adapt to different social situations, and generally being over-anxious about what others think of me.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post

A lot of the so stereotypes don't fit me (basically because they're wrong): I'm not an obsessed social climber, keen to kiss asses to get ahead(I HATE networking!). Success does matter to me to a degree but it is my interpretation of the word not society's. Primarily, the manifestation of the instinct in myself is in a desire improve society (interest in politics, social issues etc), an ability to adapt to different social situations, and generally being over-anxious about what others think of me.
    I wouldn't say they're wrong, they just don't apply to you. For example, I'm a so first and I am definitely obsessed with the whole social ladder thing. I really love being ahead of others and fraternizing with the popular people in any environment and I tend to keep away from those that are less popular or those that can ruin my reputation. I don't kiss ass, however, because I find that in order to that, you have to be pretentious and that's something that I don't really feel comfortable with being an INFP and all. Also, the stuff I've bolded up above are all the things that apply to me.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post

I think this is an Fi thing. people who kiss ass to get ahead disgust me
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    I wouldn't say they're wrong, they just don't apply to you. For example, I'm a so first and I am definitely obsessed with the whole social ladder thing. I really love being ahead of others and fraternizing with the popular people in any environment and I tend to keep away from those that are less popular or those that can ruin my reputation. I don't kiss ass, however, because I find that in order to that, you have to be pretentious and that's something that I don't really feel comfortable with being an INFP and all. Also, the stuff I've bolded up above are all the things that apply to me.
    Oh, I don't mean that so types don't ever seek popularity or to climb the social ladder etc. I only mean to say that it is not characteristic of all so types. An interest in or awareness of social hierarchy certainly is a so quality, but so-firsts do not necessarily desire to partake in that world. I think the stereotypes tend to overstate how actively involved in social politics a so-first must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think this is an Fi thing. people who kiss ass to get ahead disgust me
    Me too but I'm sure its not a Fi thing - just a general aversion to affectation.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte