• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinct Stacking general information

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You're still a good person So-krow.

sx/sp e1 estjs. That's why.
So you think they're all ESTJs? And they're not even so/sps?

This description seems to be all round fail :doh:

I have the same issues with 6w5 examples. I mean, Richard Nixon? Jerry Falwell? John Hinckley Jr.?! Yeah, I totally want to be the same type as them! :doh:

/rant
Glad to hear its not just me.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They are actors and singers projecting images, that is all

I reckon fitty is an 8, though

It's in the eyes, 8w7's have a very particular kinda intensity in their eyes

But enough of this silly argument

1) Chuck Norris is a 7 time world martial arts champion, that can't be acted :D
2) 50 Cent was a drug dealer, a gangster, a killer and all the most hard things you could think of

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
BTW guys have you seen these before? I'm not sure of their origins entirely (if it was thought up by some forum poster or if its taken from a book), but its pretty interesting theory none the less. The layout was a bit haphazard and its incomplete in places, so I did try to tidy it up a little:

The 3 ranges of sx/sp

sx/sp seducer (weak sp)
sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates; but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. charismatic and overtly sexualized, arguably the most purely sx of all stacks and ranges. draws from so/sx shadow to liven up sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep sx far ahead of their relatively nominal sp. an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreak. often confused for sx/so.

sx/sp mystifier (midrange)
the range where the mystique of the sx/sp stack is at its strongest. unconsciously attracts with intense eye contact and other sx feelers, but holds back enough to give them a kind of untouchable or hard to get close to quality. depending on their true intentions this can either frustrate their sx or reward their functional sp cooling system. like midrangers of all stacks, there's a seemingly casual approach to meeting their variant needs as the secondary instinct is kept both in play and at bay, and others may wonder what they really want.

sx/sp wanderer (strong sp)
the most clasically 'blocked' of the sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the sx/sp's. pulls from sp/so to ensure the sx flood is contained by the sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others. sex can mean a hollow satisfying of the instinct while more vulnerable feelings are suspended. quietly charged but muted, and can seem self pres first.

The 3 ranges of sp/sx

sp/sx ascetic (weak sx)
mimics sp/so building of career and security, with an eye on advancement in the name of self sufficiency, but little or no concern for status as in the case of so/sp. generally serious but enjoys being amused by others.
quote: "looking out for number one."
pulls from: so/sp, to mute sx
role: the island, the one-man enterprise
exemplars: tiger woods, jerry west, hugh heffner, evel knievel, paul newman, george lucas, johnny carson
fictional from star wars: boba fett

sp/sx binger (midline)
can 'hang out' around likeminded persons to imbibe in favorite goodies, though social interaction itself is not a priority. they do however remain slyly conscious of interpersonal attraction, even if characteristically hesitant to make a first move. whether alone or not, retains an air of privacy, reluctant to 'come out' of themselves.
quote: "all things in moderation, including moderation."
role: the soloist, the mercenary
exemplars: kobe bryant, anthony bourdain, simon cowell, robert deniro, harrison ford, ralph nader
fictional from star wars: han solo

sp/sx decadent (strong sx)
sp at its most saturated with sx; self-attending ways are offset by a wilder outgoing streak, reaching outside themselves then pulling back. noticable 'sx-y' quality, often enough to pass for sx first.
quote: "what is my life, without the things I love?"
pulls from: sx/so, to enhance sx
role: the sensualist, the hedonist
exemplars: david beckham, sarah mclachlan, dido, rachael ray, george harrison, maureen dowd
fictional from star wars: lando calrissian

The 3 ranges of so/sp

so/sp warmside (weak sp)
pulls from sx/so to enhance outer warmth, revving up the soc to where they can pass off as more stereotypically so/sx than many true so/sx's. not surprisingly, many supposed so/sx's are in fact so/sp's of this range. being sx last they tend to relate less through nonverbal expression and more through talking and joking around; but what they lack in subtlety they may make up for in overt conscientiousness, whereas so/sx's tend to be subtle and tactful.
role: the populist, the humorist, the fundraiser.
exemplars: jay leno, arnold schwarzenegger, conan o'brien, "the rock", john mccain, ellen degeneres, george w. bush.

so/sp cordial (midrange)
the classic or 'true' so/sp, not likely to be mistaken for either so/sx nor sp/so. the most wide reaching and moderate of the ranges; friendly but not ingratiating, anchored by a larger sense of community but not at the expense of delicate alliances. more verbal than the formal range but less sociable than warmsiders; have a strong sense of fairness and equality, though an academic or careerist bent may come off as elitist.
role: the journalist, the globalist, the egalitarian.
exemplars: obama, bob costas, mike wallace, al gore, hillary clinton, steve nash.

so/sp formal (strong sp)
pulls from sp/sx for a more self contained style. soc while still primary, is muted; can seem critical and more impersonal than the other ranges. a usual focus on topics, issues, and responsibilities affecting specific levels of society. usually well connected, but in informal settings may let others do most of the talking. can seem self pres at first glance.
role: the pundit, the judge, the commentator.
exemplars: george will, larry king, bill maher, bill o'reilly, helen clark, jesse ventura, margaret thatcher.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Continued...

The 3 ranges of sp/so

sp/so strongside (weak soc)
concerned with building and maintaining an orderly home, personal stability, and the protection and nurturing of these life support systems. consequently many strongsiders are concentrated in the small towns and suburban areas where likeminded people support and respect each other's space and privacy. tapping sx/sp gives them a taciturn edge, tending to be social-second in name only; this range is arguably the purest expression of self preservation. their somewhat gruff demeanor can make them quite amusing despite themselves. can occasionally seem sp/sx due to stronger focus on personal items, food, and domestic concerns.
role: the pillar, the accountant, the farmer.
exemplars: martha stewart, julia child, emeril, andy rooney, leona helmsley, jack nicklaus.
fictionals: archie bunker, frank barone, hank hill, scrooge, stanley hudson, oscar the grouch.

sp/so builder (midrange)
the most businesslike range of sp/so, and hence all stacks and ranges. trades a degree of self sufficiency to be involved with larger organizations, bringing along their natural propensity for development and management of resources. for example a strongsider may attain financial security for themselves or loved ones, but a midrange builder may enrich an entire team, company, or city on the way. frequently found among entrepreneurs, architects, engineers, bankers, city planners, corporate ceo's, and coaches, as well as proprietors and managers of small businesses. can be difficult for them to relate outside of their primary focus, being more 'locked in' to their stack than the other ranges. as such they are inclined to busy themselves with projects which seem useful to them.
role: the planner, the developer, the executive.
exemplars: donald trump, bill gates, steve ballmer, newt gingrich, larry bird, mike ditka, ann richards, ross perot, john wayne, gerald ford, steve forbes, david stern.
fictionals: lucy van pelt, peter griffin, jean pargeter.

sp/so weakside (strong soc)
draws from so/sx to produce what is overall a lighter, friendlier, and more humor employing style within self pres (though funny through conscious effort and without much irony, unlike strongsiders who are relatively less aware of how they're perceived). can seem more sociable than many so/sp's, and better embodying of a common touch. a notable degree of social consciousness tempers their more private security seeking instinct, so not surprisingly weaksiders can seem soc first, often with a certain generous or self sacrificial quality.
role: the self deprecator, the sidekick, the philanthropist.
exemplars: james dobson, dan rather, david letterman, rush limbaugh, steven spielberg, al franken, don rickles, woody allen, ray romano, michael moore, jerry brown, charles barkley.
fictionals: charlie brown, piglet, mr tumnus, threepio.

The 3 ranges of so/sx

the so/sx version is what I call lightside (soc as unquestioned dictator, just as in warmside so/sp), and on the other end is the darkside (soc as chairman, sx as vice chairman who sleeps with the chairman). and the midrange, that lovely muddy area in between where soc is the boss but sx at least has its own corner office.

so/sx lightside (weak sx)
lightsiders vs darksiders is almost like a phobic/counterphobic split in attitude. the lightside is engaging, ingratiating even, and is the closest to what has become the stereotype for so/sx. unmistakably friendly, amusing, eager to attend to others in a personal, customized way. also hesitant or unwilling to upset the delicate chemistry or harmony of individual or group dynamics, since soc cohesion is at a premium.
exemplars: mister rogers, steve carrell, george foreman, ben affleck, zach braff, michael jackson, and bill clinton.

so/sx (midrange)
midrange so/sx's have a less pre-committed way of dealing with people, and therefore seem to express the mercurial qualities of the so/sx nature more than the others. I used to call it the "grey" range since it made me think of dusky unreadability, or manipulation through inscrutability. midrange so/sx's seem especially averse to being predictable, preferring the license to adapt whatever attitude the situation requires. until those conditions are clear they default to a kind of seeming indifference or nonchalance (a stark contrast to the sociably upfront quality of their cordial so/sp cousins). pliant, laid back range.
exemplars: hugh laurie, gene simmons, brad pitt, howard stern, hugh grant, shaquille o'neal,
fictional: garfield the cat.

so/sx darkside (strong sx)
darksiders on the other hand seem eager to prove their soc isn't in full control, so they typically test the boundaries of traditional soc values. maybe knee-jerk reactions against sheepish herd behavior, group mentalities, or warmside strategies for making connections. they aren't any less healthy by definition, but can seem that way due to their darker, more confrontational manner. they use highly customized interactive tactics like all so/sx's, but in a more uncompromising "keeping it real" way, owing to the active tension between "good" soc and "bad" sx.
Exemplars: woody harrelson, frank zappa, jack nicholson, lauryn hill, judy garland, chris rock, eminem, george carlin, andy warhol.

The 3 ranges of sx/so

sx/so fireside (weak soc)
strong sx, weak soc and weaker sp. pulls from sp/sx shadow to intensify sx. exhibitionism, wild abandon, most 'on fire' of all stacks or stack ranges.

sx/so flirter (midrange)
strong sx, moderate soc, weak sp. highly sociable and extroverted per type, flirtatious interaction style, more coy than firesiders but more risque than coolsiders.

sx/so coolside (strong soc)
strong sx, strong soc, weak sp. pulls from so/sp secondary, political activist streak, 'cooled' by soc with some intellectual reserve, channels sx into social causes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sp/sx binger (midline)
can 'hang out' around likeminded persons to imbibe in favorite goodies, though social interaction itself is not a priority. they do however remain slyly conscious of interpersonal attraction, even if characteristically hesitant to make a first move. whether alone or not, retains an air of privacy, reluctant to 'come out' of themselves.
quote: "all things in moderation, including moderation."
role: the soloist, the mercenary
exemplars: kobe bryant, anthony bourdain, simon cowell, robert deniro, harrison ford, ralph nader
fictional from star wars: han solo

hahaha @ "to imbibe in favorite goodies". What bizarre phrasing. This one fits me the best though. I love the motto even :D .

It makes sense to me that instinctual stackings would have varying degrees of influence (much as wings do).

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So you think they're all ESTJs? And they're not even so/sps?

The two you mentioned. Anytime someone acts consistently angry or jealous enough to seem believable, they're probably sx/sp.

I wanna see a forumer here whose known his/her type(s) for the last few years spin your descriptions into enneagram number-specific chunks.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
hahaha @ "to imbibe in favorite goodies". What bizarre phrasing. This one fits me the best though. I love the motto even :D .

It makes sense to me that instinctual stackings would have varying degrees of influence (much as wings do).
I thought that phase pretty funny when I read it too. :D And I would agree it sounds the most like you of the 3. :yes:

Yes, it does make intuitive sense. In my case, I knew that I had moderate to strong sp but that it didn't fit entirely as a primary variant. I can't decide whether I'm the cordial or formal so/sp, though :thinking:

The two you mentioned. Anytime someone acts consistently angry or jealous enough to seem believable, they're probably sx/sp.

I wanna see a forumer here whose known his/her type(s) for the last few years spin your descriptions into enneagram number-specific chunks.
I suppose if you were to call anyone intense (and therefore sx) it would be Bill O'Reilly

Sunny Ghost

sp/sx
These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth.

soc/sx
This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is usually uncomfortable in group settings. They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant. They are often attuned to pop culture and the latest trends. This type's motivation is to create lasting connections with those they are interested in - the "best friend."
sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

I always thought SO/SX, but here I match SP/SX more.

I don't even understand the fairy reference.

Social Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"The Collected Engage-er"

Expression: bright smiley, calm expression
Energy: outward energy expressed calmly, steadily, broadly (more flow and steady energy to their engaging and less jerkiness, gushiness, or over-the-topness like the so/sx)
Behavior: bright, smiley, calm and thoughtful
Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Hilary Clinton, Ellen Degeneres

Social Primary / Sexual Support
"The Intense Appealer"

Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Tom Cruise

So, that's 3 for 3 on SP/SX over SO/SX for me.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BTW guys have you seen these before? I'm not sure of their origins entirely (if it was thought up by some forum poster or if its taken from a book), but its pretty interesting theory none the less. The layout was a bit haphazard and its incomplete in places, so I did try to tidy it up a little:

Why isn't there any exemplars on the Sx-doms? And what's with there just being Star Wars fictional exemplars only on the Sp/Sx variant?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The 3 ranges of sx/sp

sx/sp seducer (weak sp)
sx in full command produces an active recruiter of potential mates; but being sx/sp this remains in the yin mode of seducing. charismatic and overtly sexualized, arguably the most purely sx of all stacks and ranges. draws from so/sx shadow to liven up sx into an erotic playfulness and to keep sx far ahead of their relatively nominal sp. an emotional yearning to their mating ritual; an inherently unstable range that can lead to a pattern of serial heartbreak. often confused for sx/so.

sx/sp mystifier (midrange)
the range where the mystique of the sx/sp stack is at its strongest. unconsciously attracts with intense eye contact and other sx feelers, but holds back enough to give them a kind of untouchable or hard to get close to quality. depending on their true intentions this can either frustrate their sx or reward their functional sp cooling system. like midrangers of all stacks, there's a seemingly casual approach to meeting their variant needs as the secondary instinct is kept both in play and at bay, and others may wonder what they really want.

sx/sp wanderer (strong sp)
the most clasically 'blocked' of the sx's, often exchanging intimacy in favor of the more immediate pleasures of the body. paradoxically the most wandering and restless of the sx/sp's. pulls from sp/so to ensure the sx flood is contained by the sp levee, which can provide a sense of stability at the expense of seeming put off by others. sex can mean a hollow satisfying of the instinct while more vulnerable feelings are suspended. quietly charged but muted, and can seem self pres first.

I wonder if this applies to someone who's never been in a relationship before -- since ya know, sx are relationship seeking or something like that.

I don't really relate to any of the variant descriptions so far.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why isn't there any exemplars on the Sx-doms? And what's with there only being Star Wars fictional exemplars only on the Sp/Sx variant?
Yeah, it was a bit thin with some descriptions - sorry to disappoint (particularly the sx/sos). Like I said I got it from a secondary source and I'm not sure why its so inconsistent.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp/sx decadent (strong sx)
sp at its most saturated with sx; self-attending ways are offset by a wilder outgoing streak, reaching outside themselves then pulling back. noticable 'sx-y' quality, often enough to pass for sx first.
quote: "what is my life, without the things I love?"
pulls from: sx/so, to enhance sx
role: the sensualist, the hedonist
exemplars: david beckham, sarah mclachlan, dido, rachael ray, george harrison, maureen dowd
fictional from star wars: lando calrissian

I'm this one :yes:

Last edited:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
This "darkside", "weakside", etc. thing... Does it refer to a category of stacking or to a level of health (a la Enneagram Institute)?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This "darkside", "weakside", etc. thing... Does it refer to a category of stacking or to a level of health (a la Enneagram Institute)?
I think darkside vs lightside was referring to the level of sx intensity, and it was a similar sort of thing with the weakside vs. strongside. I don't believe it was anything to do with health. :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think darkside vs lightside was referring to the level of sx intensity, and it was a similar sort of thing with the weakside vs. strongside. I don't believe it was anything to do with health. :)

OK, it's just that it seems kind of... negative? I mean, it seemed to imply some sub-subtypes were better than others, but I'm getting that it's just a case of unfortunate nomenclature.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OK, it's just that it seems kind of... negative? I mean, it seemed to imply some sub-subtypes were better than others, but I'm getting that it's just a case of unfortunate nomenclature.
Yeah, they're not the most ideal language to describe it.

Ronman89

So what? Sx/So are very prone to thrill and addiction especially 6w7. His speech on the viedo is not loudmouth and proud, it's humble, analytiycal with some of guilty. Dennis Rodman is very similar with Dennis Rodman another 6w7 Sx/So.

[youtube=3CrDbBBAbEY]

Another 6w7 Sx/So wery prone to addiction and constant partying is Lindsay Lohan.

[youtube=za1l4ibHrsU]Lindsay Lohan 6w7 Sx/So[/youtube]

Also Amy Winehouse.

Learn a bit.
Just bumping this thread because of the Mike Tyson discussion.

I am a 6w7 684 Sx/So and I have been guessed as an 8 on face value, by people who professionally type people.

I only found out I was a 6 a few months ago, but I always resonated deeply with Mike Tyson. I've watched 100s of hours of his fights, documentaries and videos, and can say without question that he is a counterphobic 6. The amount of time he talks about fear....some of his quotes could be put in a 6 guidebook.

Mike is either a 683 or 684....but I will say our type is the most 8-like that a 6 can look.

And to the smartass saying he couldn't believe a 6 could be 'the baddest man on the planet'...My father is an 8w7 and I have verbally tore him to shreds numerous times, and I reduced my 8w9, 6 foot 3 cousin to tears a couple of years ago (I'm 5'9).

I genuinely love 8s though. Life would probably be easier for me if I was an 8.