• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinct Stacking general information

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
does anyone have any good information on general instinct stackings (Sx/Sp, Sx/So, Sp/Sx, Sp/So, So/Sp and So/Sx)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Sexual Stackings

sx/sp
This is perhaps the most internally conflicted of the stackings, and potentially the most inconsistent in behavior. This may occur as a blockage of the sexual instinct which can be redirected as a more generally brooding and troubled personality. They may isolate themselves for long periods of time before reemerging. They live according to a strictly personal outlook and are not particularly concerned with the approval of others outside of their immediate concern. They seem to be searching for something, the missing piece. If they find a soulmate they will unite without fanfare, forming a secret bond, dealing with formalities as an afterthought. Powerful sexual impulses facing inner resistance may manifest symbolically in the psyche, giving way to soulful interpretations of the unconscious. Under periods of stress severe sexual tensions may manifest as erratic, impulsively destructive behavior. Can seem restless, torn between the comforts of a stable home life and the urge to wander. May be prone to self-medicating.
Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.
Familiar roles: the devotee, the seeker, the wanderer
Examples of sx/sp: Prince, Carl Jung, Johnny Depp, Ozzy Osbourne, Johnny Cash, Joan Crawford, Princess Di, Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin, Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame"

sx/so
This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.
Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionish
Examples of sx/so: Madonna, John Lennon, Yukio Mishima, Robin Williams, Drew Barrymore, Richard Simmons, Elvis, Bono, George Michael, Sinead O'Connor, Joan of Arc.

The Self-pres Stackings

sp/soc
This type is generally private and reserved, and especially serious and practical minded in their focus to gain material security and in making useful connections that support their goals. When they do form a connection, loyalty is very important to them and they will not hesitate to end a relationship on grounds of disloyalty. This type may lack a certain degree of interpersonal warmth which can give the impression of coldness or disinterest in others, even a sense of selfishness. May be drawn to groups that attract like minded individuals, as in business clubs or volunteer organizations where a shared professional culture can facilitate social bonds. They tend to live conservatively and dress in an inconspicuously appropriate fashion befitting their status in life. May have a characteristically blunt and direct style of communication that can take others some getting used to. They are particularly strong in matters of commitment and sacrifice, and enjoy being the benefactors in assisting society's practical needs.

Motivation: to attain a position of material and societal security.

Familiar Roles: the businessperson, the responsible citizen, the pillar of society.

Examples: Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Martha Stewart, Harrison Ford

sp/sx
These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth.

Familiar Roles: the mate, the mystic, the quiet supporter.

Examples: George Harrison, Jackie Onassis, Eric Clapton, Emily Dickinson

The Social Stackings

soc/sp
This type is often the most comfortable in group settings, but tends to be a bit formal and awkward in one to one relations. This is the natural political type, affiliating themselves with groups or theories which best defend their social and material interests. They may lack warmth and individual identity and this could lead to problems in forming meaningful relationships outside of a shared social interest. The motivation for this type is to attain status within their chosen sphere - the "social climber."

Examples of soc/sp: Hillary Clinton, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ted Nugent

soc/sx
This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is usually uncomfortable in group settings. They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant. They are often attuned to pop culture and the latest trends. This type's motivation is to create lasting connections with those they are interested in - the "best friend."

Examples of soc/sx: Michael Jackson, Bill Clinton, Howard Stern, Margaret Cho, Jack McFarland from "Will & Grace"

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp/soc: The most straightfoward in language, with relatively little trills and embellishments. Points made directly and from personal experience. Business-like. Clear. Cynical. Lacking in internal experience compared to other stackings.

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sp: Tangential. Lots of details and analysis. Very in-their-head and intellectual, and lacks sensuality. Comes across as level-headed and unspontaneous, but also with personal warmth. Their written works often require a great deal of mental concentration from the readers.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sexual Primary / Social Support
"The Sensual Player"

Expression: intense, outer-focused
Energy: intense energy expressed outwards, assertively
Behavior: intense, assertive, sultry and aggressive
Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
Examples: Gwen Stefani

Social Primary / Sexual Support
"The Intense Appealer"

Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Tom Cruise

Sexual Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"One-Man Storm"

Expression: intense, self-absorbed expression
Energy: intense energy expressed calmly, steadily, assertively
Behavior: intense, assertive, troubled and self absorbed
Mindset: "If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
Examples: Harlock (Arcadia of my Youth)

Self-Preservation Primary / Sexual Support
"Beautiful Dreamer"

Expression: wistful self-absorbed expression, sighing, magic is in their head
Energy: calm, steady energy expressed intensely, withdrawing
Behavior: withdrawn, calm, wistful and self absorbed
Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)
Examples: Alanis Morisette, Amelie (Amelie)

Social Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"The Collected Engage-er"

Expression: bright smiley, calm expression
Energy: outward energy expressed calmly, steadily, broadly (more flow and steady energy to their engaging and less jerkiness, gushiness, or over-the-topness like the so/sx)
Behavior: bright, smiley, calm and thoughtful
Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Hilary Clinton, Ellen Degeneres

Self-Preservation Primary / Social Support
"The Withdrawn Submissive"

Expression: withdrawn calm, smiley expression
Energy: calm, steady energy expressed outward
Behavior: withdrawn, calm, smiley and submissive
Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can make sure of and keep my orderly and pleasing lifestyle." (May try to be just appealing and connected with groups enough for everyone to get out of their hair. :) )
Examples: Raymond (Everybody Loves Raymond)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual Primary / Social Support
"The Sensual Player"

Expression: intense, outer-focused
Energy: intense energy expressed outwards, assertively
Behavior: intense, assertive, sultry and aggressive
Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
Examples: Gwen Stefani

Social Primary / Sexual Support
"The Intense Appealer"

Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Tom Cruise

Sexual Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"One-Man Storm"

Expression: intense, self-absorbed expression
Energy: intense energy expressed calmly, steadily, assertively
Behavior: intense, assertive, troubled and self absorbed
Mindset: "If I can make (us) have an orderly & pleasing lifestyle, I can keep up and escalate all this merging/intensity."
Examples: Harlock (Arcadia of my Youth)

Self-Preservation Primary / Sexual Support
"Beautiful Dreamer"

Expression: wistful self-absorbed expression, sighing, magic is in their head
Energy: calm, steady energy expressed intensely, withdrawing
Behavior: withdrawn, calm, wistful and self absorbed
Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)
Examples: Alanis Morisette, Amelie (Amelie)

Social Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"The Collected Engage-er"

Expression: bright smiley, calm expression
Energy: outward energy expressed calmly, steadily, broadly (more flow and steady energy to their engaging and less jerkiness, gushiness, or over-the-topness like the so/sx)
Behavior: bright, smiley, calm and thoughtful
Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Hilary Clinton, Ellen Degeneres

Self-Preservation Primary / Social Support
"The Withdrawn Submissive"

Expression: withdrawn calm, smiley expression
Energy: calm, steady energy expressed outward
Behavior: withdrawn, calm, smiley and submissive
Mindset: "If I can maintain position and inclusion in the group/world, I can make sure of and keep my orderly and pleasing lifestyle." (May try to be just appealing and connected with groups enough for everyone to get out of their hair. :) )
Examples: Raymond (Everybody Loves Raymond)

Alanis Morisette is Sx/So, and I found that article too much cliché globally. Thanks for your comment though.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Alanis Morisette is Sx/So, and I found that article too much cliché globally. Thanks for your comment though.
Unfortunately it seems pretty much all type stacking descriptions are lacking in some respects. The one you posted is very good because it doesn't get too specific. I think most tend to be written sloppily, without a wide enough range of people in mind. Although its possible that within such descriptions, that particular stackings are more correct than others and some valuable nugget of information might be gained - hence why I posted it.

The one Chana posted is the most readily available one, but I personally find it particularly alienating in its description of my type (so/sp). Listing Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh as examples is extremely off-putting to me. And the fact all but one are hard-nosed figures in the realm of politics (although one, a former movie star), and that all but one are very politically conservative is just plain ridiculous. I mean do they really intend to suggest so/sps are like that? :rolleyes: If so, I'm certainly not a so/sp because I'm neither conservative or hard-nosed.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
The Sexual Stackings

sx/sp
This is perhaps the most internally conflicted of the stackings, and potentially the most inconsistent in behavior. This may occur as a blockage of the sexual instinct which can be redirected as a more generally brooding and troubled personality. They may isolate themselves for long periods of time before reemerging. They live according to a strictly personal outlook and are not particularly concerned with the approval of others outside of their immediate concern. They seem to be searching for something, the missing piece. If they find a soulmate they will unite without fanfare, forming a secret bond, dealing with formalities as an afterthought. Powerful sexual impulses facing inner resistance may manifest symbolically in the psyche, giving way to soulful interpretations of the unconscious. Under periods of stress severe sexual tensions may manifest as erratic, impulsively destructive behavior. Can seem restless, torn between the comforts of a stable home life and the urge to wander. May be prone to self-medicating.
Motivation: to know the heart, reconcile inner conflict, form a secure union.
Familiar roles: the devotee, the seeker, the wanderer
Examples of sx/sp: Prince, Carl Jung, Johnny Depp, Ozzy Osbourne, Johnny Cash, Joan Crawford, Princess Di, Marilyn Monroe, Janis Joplin, Frollo from "Hunchback of Notre Dame"

Interesting

Fits for me.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Unfortunately it seems pretty much all type stacking descriptions are lacking in some respects. The one you posted is very good because it doesn't get too specific. I think most tend to be written sloppily, without a wide enough range of people in mind. Although its possible that within such descriptions, that particular stackings are more correct than others and some valuable nugget of information might be gained - hence why I posted it.

The one Chana posted is the most readily available one, but I personally find it particularly alienating in its description of my type (so/sp). Listing Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh as examples is extremely off-putting to me. And the fact all but one are hard-nosed figures in the realm of politics (although one, a former movie star), and that all but one are very politically conservative is just plain ridiculous. I mean do they really intend to suggest so/sps are like that? :rolleyes: If so, I'm certainly not a so/sp because I'm neither conservative or hard-nosed.

You're still a good person So-krow.

sx/sp e1 estjs. That's why.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ

I have the same issues with 6w5 examples. I mean, Richard Nixon? Jerry Falwell? John Hinckley Jr.?! Yeah, I totally want to be the same type as them! :doh:

/rant

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have the same issues with 6w5 examples. I mean, Richard Nixon? Jerry Falwell? John Hinckley Jr.?! Yeah, I totally want to be the same type as them! :doh:

/rant
Don't forget Hitler.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Don't forget Hitler.

I'm trying to. :dont:

sp/soc: The most straightfoward in language, with relatively little trills and embellishments. Points made directly and from personal experience. Business-like. Clear. Cynical. Lacking in internal experience compared to other stackings.

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sp: Tangential. Lots of details and analysis. Very in-their-head and intellectual, and lacks sensuality. Comes across as level-headed and unspontaneous, but also with personal warmth. Their written works often require a great deal of mental concentration from the readers.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death.

Is that about writing style?

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Hitler was a misunderstood artist. What is so bad about that?
There's that, and also that he initiated one of the greatest genocides in history. And he was a terribly mediocre painter.

wolfy

awsm

Sure sounds like it.

This really hits home like a swift kick in the you know where.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

/rant

There's also James Hetfield from Metallica, Sandra bernhard, Tupac, Charles Bukowski, Kristen Stewart, Joe Strummer, Lou Reed, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ellen Page, Robert Redford, Chuck Norris, Steve MacQueen, Dennis Hoper, ... Most part of 6w5 have nothing to do with Nixon, the example you have are all from the Sp/So variant. Except Hitler who was Sx/So.

Elsewhere, you seem a way too mellow to be 6w5 in my opinion, I really feel you more as a 9.

Hitler was a misunderstood artist. What is so bad about that?

Hitler was the first rock star!

Writing style and general impression they release.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's also James Hetfield from Metallica, Sandra bernhard, Tupac, Charles Bukowski, Kristen Stewart, Joe Strummer, Lou Reed, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ellen Page, Robert Redford, Chuck Norris, Steve MacQueen, Dennis Hoper, ... Most part of 6w5 have nothing to do with Nixon, the example you have are all from the Sp/So variant.

Elsewhere, you seem a way too mellow to be 6w5 in my opinion, I really feel you more as a 9.
Hitler was the first rock star!
Writing style and general impression they release.
you forgot 50 Cent :smoke:
Edit: and you forgot Jason Bateman