User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

I agree with those who think the sp=selfish stereotype is inaccurate (not sure I'm sp, just pointing it out), though I do think Elfboy was being kind of tongue-in-cheek. Sp doms, I think, are simply more "contained" and cautious... Haku from Naruto, I believe, was an sp/sx, and he was the epitome of selflessness - ditto the title character from Amelie.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I agree with those who think the sp=selfish stereotype is inaccurate (not sure I'm sp, just pointing it out), though I do think Elfboy was being kind of tongue-in-cheek. Sp doms, I think, are simply more "contained" and cautious... Haku from Naruto, I believe, was an sp/sx, and he was the epitome of selflessness - ditto the title character from Amelie.
    thanks bro
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Let's rework this, I feel this isn't accurate....

Actually, when your parents die, and your first thoughts are to get quickly to business to help prepare for their funeral... whilst in private, you go through an existential crisis questioning if you will suffer the same fate as your parents... and you go into high gear survival mode... you have to keep yourself healthy, and avoid getting into accidents.

The idea of altruism doesn't puzzle you, rather you feel it is necessary for the survival and continuation of your own species, and you look towards the idea of altruism as a way to increase your own likelihood of survival in the world.

Not always stuff that is outlandish though. But you put a priority towards home, family, work, and food above going out to socialize and party.

Actually, you end up doing the right thing by notifying the police and other legal authorities that your friend died of a drug overdose. Do the right thing, even if you are standing alone.

Or you don't even mention about joining the military altogether. It's none of anybody's business why you would or wouldn't join.

Sometimes, but not all the time. Rather, you'd end up opting for the safest rank, as far away from enemy fire as possible. You'd rather voluntarily become a nurse, medic, or part of the M*A*S*H unit... or join the Peace Corps.

You wouldn't use weapons, period. Rather, you'd stay clear and far away from someone who offends you. If you need to fight, you'd do it ONLY if your life was in clear and present danger.

Getting financially stable is ONE of your top priorities.
    I agree with most of these actually
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I responded to the op first, then read the thread. I realize the op wasn’t created to be dissected in itself so much as to start others adding their own, but I dissected it first because that’s what I do. I didn’t quote it to prove how it’s ‘wrong’ though (I didn’t perceive it as negatively as others in the thread seemed to), only to show how my experience/understanding of being sp is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    - the idea of altruism (placing the needs of others before your own) is quite puzzling to you
    It seems to me that if placing the needs of others before my own were puzzling to me, there’d be little need for me to be self-pres. If it weren’t an issue, I wouldn’t feel the need to create the distance in the first place.

- you're willing to do socially unacceptable things to get money and survive
    I might do jobs that are socially unacceptable as long as I find them agreeable myself. For the most part I find a lot of socially acceptable jobs personally repugnant, and that’s where I see sp coming into play- my own unwillingness to do them because they may be threatening to my own sense of self.

- getting financially stable is your number 1 priority
    Again, I find maintaining a sense of self is actually my number one priority. I’d rather live like a pauper feeling like I spend my time truer to my interests than have a comfortable job in which I spend most of my waking hours doing something which has nothing to do with what I want out of life.

And my own:

-you carry a book or crossword puzzle to work on- or even play solitaire on a cell phone- in situations where a stranger might strike up a conversation if you don’t look preoccupied (e.g. laundromat, train, etc). Unless it’s a context where strangers might have enough in common with you that any conversation is one that you’d likely want to be having- but you still almost always have a book or something on hand just in case.

-you hate knick-knack kind of gifts from people, or even clothes as gifts, because you like your personal space to be entirely your own (down to what you’re wearing). Every once in a while someone will get something because it explicitly reminded them of you and you’ll happen to love it (when it actually reflects YOU), but more often than not- especially for holidays or birthdays, when it isn’t about them chancing upon something that reminds them of you so much as feeling pressured to pick *something* out to express affection- it just leaves you with a pile of stuff that you’ll feel guilty for giving away.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    It seems to me that if placing the needs of others before my own were puzzling to me, there’d be little need for me to be self-pres. If it weren’t an issue, I wouldn’t feel the need to create the distance in the first place.

I might do jobs that are socially unacceptable as long as I find them agreeable myself. For the most part I find a lot of socially acceptable jobs personally repugnant, and that’s where I see sp coming into play- my own unwillingness to do them because they may be threatening to my own sense of self.

Again, I find maintaining a sense of self is actually my number one priority. I’d rather live like a pauper feeling like I spend my time truer to my interests than have a comfortable job in which I spend most of my waking hours doing something which has nothing to do with what I want out of life.

And my own:

-you carry a book or crossword puzzle to work on- or even play solitaire on a cell phone- in situations where a stranger might strike up a conversation if you don’t look preoccupied (e.g. laundromat, train, etc). Unless it’s a context where strangers might have enough in common with you that any conversation is one that you’d likely want to be having- but you still almost always have a book or something on hand just in case.

-you hate knick-knack kind of gifts from people, or even clothes as gifts, because you like your personal space to be entirely your own (down to what you’re wearing). Every once in a while someone will get something because it explicitly reminded them of you and you’ll happen to love it (when it actually reflects YOU), but more often than not- especially for holidays or birthdays, when it isn’t about them chancing upon something that reminds them of you so much as feeling pressured to pick *something* out to express affection- it just leaves you with a pile of stuff that you’ll feel guilty for giving away.
    +1 to all of the above.

The OP was obviously meant to be humorous and recognizable as such at first sight. But it seemed to be based on the supposed grain of truth that being sp means being a money obsessed selfish ass and that is obviously not the case, as others have already pointed out.

Here are a few more suggestions (some might be I or N though):

-when you have to spend a few days at a conference or a workshop and your first thought is how on earth will you be able to retire for some me-time when you are surrounded by people 24/7. Oh, the pure thought of the drain on your energy!
    - You often go through what if scenarios, trying to figure out how they would affect you and how you would have to react in different cases. You are not necessarily afraid or worried, but you ca't help going through these scenarios in your head
    - You are often conflicted between wanting to help another person and that sense of being used
    - (if Sp/sx) You like to get close to people, but need to preserve your bubble. Groups make you uncomfortable and the best way to get to know you is 1 on 1 with a bit of patience
    - Your idea of a perfect weekend involves your sofa, your laptop, a pile of books and some cookies
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    +1 to all of the above.

The OP was obviously meant to be humorous and recognizable as such at first sight. But it seemed to be based on the supposed grain of truth that being sp means being a money obsessed selfish ass and that is obviously not the case, as others have already pointed out.

Here are a few more suggestions (some might be I or N though):

-when you have to spend a few days at a conference or a workshop and your first thought is how on earth will you be able to retire for some me-time when you are surrounded by people 24/7. Oh, the pure thought of the drain on your energy!
    - You often go through what if scenarios, trying to figure out how they would affect you and how you would have to react in different cases. You are not necessarily afraid or worried, but you ca't help going through these scenarios in your head
    - You are often conflicted between wanting to help another person and that sense of being used
    - (if Sp/sx) You like to get close to people, but need to preserve your bubble. Groups make you uncomfortable and the best way to get to know you is 1 on 1 with a bit of patience
    - Your idea of a perfect weekend involves your sofa, your laptop, a pile of books and some cookies
    all of these ring true with me. I think extroverts who are self preservation are less extroverted than social types (especially if they're N)
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

To add onto the list...

- When you come home from work, all you want to do is just spend some time alone and get zoned out listening to music, or watching a good movie.... if someone interrupts your quiet time, you feel like you're ready to explode.

- Unlike most of the world, you aren't attached to your cellphone 24/7, rather you seldom use it or have it on.

- You are sensitive to changes in temperature in your environment... if it isn't between X-Y degrees, you are uncomfortable.

- In the "Trust Game" you do in camps and other organizations, you feel anxious that someone won't be there to catch you when you fall and have a hard time allowing yourself to just go.

- The idea of walking out on the streets alone makes you feel vulnerable.

- When you know that you are in a toxic situation with someone, you end up avoiding them.

- It feels like you constantly have your guard up, with armor all around you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    To add onto the list...

- When you come home from work, all you want to do is just spend some time alone and get zoned out listening to music, or watching a good movie.... if someone interrupts your quiet time, you feel like you're ready to explode.

- Unlike most of the world, you aren't attached to your cellphone 24/7, rather you seldom use it or have it on.

- You are sensitive to changes in temperature in your environment... if it isn't between X-Y degrees, you are uncomfortable.

- In the "Trust Game" you do in camps and other organizations, you feel anxious that someone won't be there to catch you when you fall and have a hard time allowing yourself to just go.

- When you know that you are in a toxic situation with someone, you end up avoiding them.

- It feels like you constantly have your guard up, with armor all around you.
    spot on
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

You don't see the necessity to work hard for win money as a problem because that comes naturally for you.

You are serious and self-contained, you are confident in your hability to not do something crasy wich could devy you from you will to gain material security.

When there's a maintenance problem, you don't procrastinate to deal with it because you instinctively deal with it.

You instinctively change your clothes when temperatures change

You ever know how to gain the maximum of safety without waste your energy, and you still seek to improve yourself

Most of your choice in life are serious, realistic and taken with personal reflection.

You requently know moments of pure calm and without any passion, and you like it.

You need more interaction with your family member than with your romantic relationships

All these things about saving energy and time are about 5, not self-preservation.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

- It feels like you constantly have your guard up, with armor all around you.[/QUOTE]

I relate to all is bloded and I'am not self-pres.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan