First 1234 Last

Thread: sp/sx or sx/sp?

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    It's almost like I aim to be an sx/sp but the sp keeps it in, if that makes any sense. I, however, am very much a Romantic, in the true sense of the world (not the cheesy modern connotation). I love getting a charge from the people and things I'm attracted to. It's what I definitely get energy from.
    I was just discussing this difference with ‘the state i am in’, because he’s 5w4 sx/sp and I’m 5w4 sp/sx- and we’re a lot alike so it’s interesting to look at the difference sp/sx and sx/sp makes. A lot of times something he’s written will resonate strongly with me, but it’s not something that sits as close to the surface for me and I wouldn’t be able to articulate it as well as he does. And I described it a lot like you did here^, that his reaction to things at times is almost exactly what mine would be if I didn’t have sp trying to cram a sock in sx’s mouth to stifle it. It’s like sp closely monitors sx flare-ups and keeps them in check to maintain an overall stasis, I think because I loathe the idea of feeling dependant on some outside source for that rush. It is a constant battle (like s&s said), because I recognize the rush comes from an outside source and I recognize that I need it but I feel the strong need to be in control of how much it affects me.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 62%
    Social ||| 10%
    Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||| 78%

sp/sx? seems correct.

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e1428...position=80:80

"sp/sx
    These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth.

Familiar Roles: the mate, the mystic, the quiet supporter.

Examples: George Harrison, Jackie Onassis, Eric Clapton, Emily Dickinson"

"Self/Sexual

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as "different from others," as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium."

^^yeah, I can own that...

@brainheart-My apologies as I meant to actually edit the above to respond directly to your OP but the database kept crashing last night. I must admit I havent read enough of your posts to be able to give guidance as to what category you belong to. I can share what I feel in case that is of value as you reflect upon yourself. I very strongly identify with the sp/sx group. For me, I feel a need to build strong boundaries in which within that safety I can be completely emotionally honest and open with another without risk of games or playing. I can only allow the emotional intensity and vulnerability to be present if i understand that I can trust my partner. Then it is childlike and innocent and full of radiance and devotion. Once I find that safe place then i can allow all of my glowy gooey insides to be exposed to another person. This means I would rather be alone, than in a relationship where I dont trust the other person or I think they are playing games. I dont have to connect with others, but when I do, I do so with great devotion and a ridiculously naive childlike approach to be honest.

I also recognize the negative aspects above-I do feel, not envy really, but a sort of unfairness when I see other people just jump right into friendships and be happy, so often I just avoid friendships rather than risk being rejected or later exposing more of myself and find it to be unsuitable. Thus I show the world a fairly tough face and very much prefer to deal with them via a Te approach...perhaps an INFP might do the same thing through an Si approach, but I dunno for sure.

I really appreciate you starting this thread as I havent paid any attention before to enne details and as of late I have been feeling so very different from the enfp norm, and even confused by it. i suspect I am seeing the sx/sp enfps and not understanding why I am not like that, envying their beauty and ease of interaction, but also being snotty and disdaining it as I sense how it could hurt others-like myself-if not used carefully...Thanks so much!

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I was just discussing this difference with ‘the state i am in’, because he’s 5w4 sx/sp and I’m 5w4 sp/sx- and we’re a lot alike so it’s interesting to look at the difference sp/sx and sx/sp makes. A lot of times something he’s written will resonate strongly with me, but it’s not something that sits as close to the surface for me and I wouldn’t be able to articulate it as well as he does. And I described it a lot like you did here^, that his reaction to things at times is almost exactly what mine would be if I didn’t have sp trying to cram a sock in sx’s mouth to stifle it. It’s like sp closely monitors sx flare-ups and keeps them in check to maintain an overall stasis, I think because I loathe the idea of feeling dependant on some outside source for that rush. It is a constant battle (like s&s said), because I recognize the rush comes from an outside source and I recognize that I need it but I feel the strong need to be in control of how much it affects me.
    I don't know. You sound pretty stinkin' articulate to me.

But yeah, totally know what you're saying. Except sometimes, I don't know, maybe it's because of the sp sock, I have this tendency to say more than I should. Like a bottle of soda shaken too much with the lid on, and then you take the lid off... (but this is rare. the exception to the rule. It's just powerful so I think I have a tendency to really notice it.)

Your last sentence... man... that almost had me in tears.... feel that so much...

"sp/sx
    These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth. (Sigh, yeah, probably. It just sounds so boring... but that's how its been for the most part so far-)

Familiar Roles: the mate, the mystic, the quiet supporter. (Again, sigh. Dull.)

"Self/Sexual

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as "different from others," as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium."

EDIT: Orobas- read your second post after I posted this- wow, yeah. What you say about childlike naivete gushing radiance when you find someone to share with, yes. And not sharing otherwise, yes. And then -an unfairness- in regards to those who do it with ease, absolutely, but at the same time disdainful. so much. Wow. How are you if you feel you've been betrayed by someone who you shared with, trusted? This happened to me five years ago and I still am hesitant to be fully honest with anyone. Confidences are not something I take lightly.

brainheart

As per Speed Gavroche's Holy List of Types, a 4w5 sp/sx thought process (constantly doubting/analyzing what you should be doing? Feeling like you shouldn't be such a navel gazer? should be more altruistic, not wasteful? even though you value art?):

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

That's it... I'm probably SO/SX. I think I just with I were an SP.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Dern it!

"Self/Sexual

This reads similar to me too!

Brainheart, this stuff is too confusing to me too. I can never seem to figure it out. I've jumped from SX/SP and SP/SX to possible SO/SX.

Can someone be balanced across all mediums?

I feel like every definition is different when it comes to instincts. Especially when you pair the instincts to individual enneagram types.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Hmm... now I feel as though it's time for me to start a new one of these threads.

Now that I sit and think about it, I can see SP/SX more again. Ugh.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%
    Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%
    Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 82%

-John Green

"soc/sx
    This type has very strong one to one social skills, but is usually uncomfortable in group settings. They enjoy cultivating multiple relationships, and can be intensely involved when in the presence of someone they are interested in, but have difficulty sustaining these bonds when apart. This may give the impression of being flighty and rootless, willing to adapt and mirror others in order to connect, but lacking a defined approach that would give their relationships a more solid standing. They may have political interests, but are generally more pragmatic and less partisan than the other social variant. They are often attuned to pop culture and the latest trends. This type's motivation is to create lasting connections with those they are interested in - the "best friend."

^^ this sounds sort of generic ISFP-ish possibly, but i dunno, just a guess. Indy you have a very abstract/analytical/passionate flavor to me, as compared to the other isfps I have known-I think it is your Ni, but I dont understand how that impacts stackings and stuff like this to be honest, but i figured I'd past the above text just for content.