12 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Self Preservation people get a bad wrap.

All of the labels people place on you for being Self Preservation are SO irritating
    1) when you take good care of yourself, they say you're gay (okay in my case it's true, but 90% of the time it isn't), a pussy or vain
    2) they call you a coward if when you don't want to do something that might be dangerous
    3) when you care about getting money, they say you're selfish, greedy and evil
    4) when you focus on your career/finances first, they say you're selfish, antisocial and reclusive
    5) people assume you only care about yourself
    6) so many people think that you need to sacrifice most of yourself for other people. personally, I think these people are idiots and that a rich SP type has the power to help more people in a few hours than one of these silly people can in their entire lives.
    7) when you want comfort and luxury and dislike being around people who's atmosphere is not this way, people think you're arrogant
    8) when you actually do get rich (I'm not but I know a fair number of rich people) everyone hates you, gets jealous and says "some people just get lucky"....right

brainheart

Funny, I think being self-pres is very highly esteemed in this culture, esp if you're concerned about your looks and how much money you make.

My problem is self-pres for me means avoiding going out of the house and not wanting to do anything that drains my very limited energy.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Funny, I think being self-pres is very highly esteemed in this culture, esp if you're concerned about your looks and how much money you make.
    My problem is self-pres for me means avoiding going out of the house and not wanting to do anything that drains my very limited energy.
    bold: I disagree. people nowadays who want to flaunt status drive Toyota Priuses, dress like hippies and act falsely humble. generation Y is extremely collectivistic and not self preservation at all. it is traditional american culture than values this trait
    non bold: that probably has more to do with introversion

brainheart

Self-pres is going to come out differently in different enneagram types. I think this a pretty good description of an e5 sp. Something tells me you aren't going to relate to it all that much-

http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enne...eservation.htm

But you sound like someone who wants to live the American Dream. Just because someone is sp also doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment or helping people. I care about those things, but my natural inclination is to consider my well-being first. And for me, that involves lots of alone time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Self-pres is going to come out differently in different enneagram types. I think this a pretty good description of an e5 sp. Something tells me you aren't going to relate to it all that much-

http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enne...eservation.htm
    + 1

I absolutely identify with that description but not at all with the OP. I couldn't care less about money, status or physical comfort, but not being constantly drained by social contacts and expectations but rather living in your head (which also protects you from your own emotions), being locked in a library for weeks on end...yes, that sounds good.
    Self preservation to me as an e5 sp/so is not so much about accumulating stuff for myself and looking out for number one but rather inner withdrawel and detachment, living in your head, depending mainly on yourself rather than social networks and yes, granted, maybe a certain fuzzy angst that everything might go down the drain one day.

But you sound like someone who wants to live the American Dream. Just because someone is sp also doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment or helping people. I care about those things, but my natural inclination is to consider my well-being first. And for me, that involves lots of alone time.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

There are an equal amount of positives. Plus, I don't care to receive a bad wrap when I am building and securing my resources and outliving everything/one else.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

How could anyone think you, of all people, are vain?

The answer "truly" (as an e4 might tag his/her every other phrase) escapes me.

Speaking of existence, time to butter the hogs with my dick.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    All of the labels people place on you for being Self Preservation are SO irritating
    1) when you take good care of yourself, they say you're gay (okay in my case it's true, but 90% of the time it isn't), a pussy or vain
    2) they call you a coward if when you don't want to do something that might be dangerous
    3) when you care about getting money, they say you're selfish, greedy and evil
    4) when you focus on your career/finances first, they say you're selfish, antisocial and reclusive
    5) people assume you only care about yourself
    6) so many people think that you need to sacrifice most of yourself for other people. personally, I think these people are idiots and that a rich SP type has the power to help more people in a few hours than one of these silly people can in their entire lives.
    7) when you want comfort and luxury and dislike being around people who's atmosphere is not this way, people think you're arrogant
    8) when you actually do get rich (I'm not but I know a fair number of rich people) everyone hates you, gets jealous and says "some people just get lucky"....right
    Why do you care what other people say?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^

and on that note, not everyone here is Gen Y or identifies with Gen Y... and as much as you guys might like to think otherwise, your opinions don't necissarily dictate how society thinks :rolli:

My SPness doesn't tend to get criticised in the least by people... my desire to work hard in order to get what I want and the fact that I spend my spare time doing as I please actually tends to be complimented... once again, missed the bulls eye

anyways... it's spelled RAP, not WRAP... that's a type of sweater, skirt, bandage or sandwich
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather be SP than SX or SO. Seems like just about everybody wants to be SX because somehow they seem more "interesting." SX is more clingy or intense than I care to be and worries too much what the significant other is going to think. SO worries too much about image and what the population at large thinks. SP isn't so concerned with either of these. SP is very independent and self-sufficient. SP cares about their health and their finances (the psychologically 'healthy' ones anyway). They are probably the least likely to live a life with a bunch of 'drama'. I suppose it all boils down to personal preference. I admit I'm probably biased here. There are good things about SX and SO. With SX, I think its not being afraid of the intensity and going for whatever it is holds your attraction. With SO, I think its a sense of wanting to contribute something to the world and a sense of knowing and caring about social appropriateness. Some SO types as a result come across as very kind and considerate.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne