• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] Self Preservation people get a bad wrap.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of the labels people place on you for being Self Preservation are SO irritating
1) when you take good care of yourself, they say you're gay (okay in my case it's true, but 90% of the time it isn't), a pussy or vain
2) they call you a coward if when you don't want to do something that might be dangerous
3) when you care about getting money, they say you're selfish, greedy and evil
4) when you focus on your career/finances first, they say you're selfish, antisocial and reclusive
5) people assume you only care about yourself
6) so many people think that you need to sacrifice most of yourself for other people. personally, I think these people are idiots and that a rich SP type has the power to help more people in a few hours than one of these silly people can in their entire lives.
7) when you want comfort and luxury and dislike being around people who's atmosphere is not this way, people think you're arrogant
8) when you actually do get rich (I'm not but I know a fair number of rich people) everyone hates you, gets jealous and says "some people just get lucky"....right

B

brainheart

Funny, I think being self-pres is very highly esteemed in this culture, esp if you're concerned about your looks and how much money you make.

My problem is self-pres for me means avoiding going out of the house and not wanting to do anything that drains my very limited energy.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funny, I think being self-pres is very highly esteemed in this culture, esp if you're concerned about your looks and how much money you make.
My problem is self-pres for me means avoiding going out of the house and not wanting to do anything that drains my very limited energy.

bold: I disagree. people nowadays who want to flaunt status drive Toyota Priuses, dress like hippies and act falsely humble. generation Y is extremely collectivistic and not self preservation at all. it is traditional american culture than values this trait
non bold: that probably has more to do with introversion

B

brainheart

Self-pres is going to come out differently in different enneagram types. I think this a pretty good description of an e5 sp. Something tells me you aren't going to relate to it all that much-

http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enneagram/Subtypes/Subtype%20Five%20Self%20Preservation.htm

But you sound like someone who wants to live the American Dream. Just because someone is sp also doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment or helping people. I care about those things, but my natural inclination is to consider my well-being first. And for me, that involves lots of alone time.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Self-pres is going to come out differently in different enneagram types. I think this a pretty good description of an e5 sp. Something tells me you aren't going to relate to it all that much-

http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enneagram/Subtypes/Subtype%20Five%20Self%20Preservation.htm

+ 1

I absolutely identify with that description but not at all with the OP. I couldn't care less about money, status or physical comfort, but not being constantly drained by social contacts and expectations but rather living in your head (which also protects you from your own emotions), being locked in a library for weeks on end...yes, that sounds good.:)
Self preservation to me as an e5 sp/so is not so much about accumulating stuff for myself and looking out for number one but rather inner withdrawel and detachment, living in your head, depending mainly on yourself rather than social networks and yes, granted, maybe a certain fuzzy angst that everything might go down the drain one day.

But you sound like someone who wants to live the American Dream. Just because someone is sp also doesn't mean that they don't care about the environment or helping people. I care about those things, but my natural inclination is to consider my well-being first. And for me, that involves lots of alone time.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
There are an equal amount of positives. Plus, I don't care to receive a bad wrap when I am building and securing my resources and outliving everything/one else.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How could anyone think you, of all people, are vain?

The answer "truly" (as an e4 might tag his/her every other phrase) escapes me.

Speaking of existence, time to butter the hogs with my dick.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
All of the labels people place on you for being Self Preservation are SO irritating
1) when you take good care of yourself, they say you're gay (okay in my case it's true, but 90% of the time it isn't), a pussy or vain
2) they call you a coward if when you don't want to do something that might be dangerous
3) when you care about getting money, they say you're selfish, greedy and evil
4) when you focus on your career/finances first, they say you're selfish, antisocial and reclusive
5) people assume you only care about yourself
6) so many people think that you need to sacrifice most of yourself for other people. personally, I think these people are idiots and that a rich SP type has the power to help more people in a few hours than one of these silly people can in their entire lives.
7) when you want comfort and luxury and dislike being around people who's atmosphere is not this way, people think you're arrogant
8) when you actually do get rich (I'm not but I know a fair number of rich people) everyone hates you, gets jealous and says "some people just get lucky"....right

Why do you care what other people say?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ :yes:

and on that note, not everyone here is Gen Y or identifies with Gen Y... and as much as you guys might like to think otherwise, your opinions don't necissarily dictate how society thinks :rolli:

My SPness doesn't tend to get criticised in the least by people... my desire to work hard in order to get what I want and the fact that I spend my spare time doing as I please actually tends to be complimented... once again, missed the bulls eye :newwink:

anyways... it's spelled RAP, not WRAP... that's a type of sweater, skirt, bandage or sandwich :tongue:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather be SP than SX or SO. Seems like just about everybody wants to be SX because somehow they seem more "interesting." SX is more clingy or intense than I care to be and worries too much what the significant other is going to think. SO worries too much about image and what the population at large thinks. SP isn't so concerned with either of these. SP is very independent and self-sufficient. SP cares about their health and their finances (the psychologically 'healthy' ones anyway). They are probably the least likely to live a life with a bunch of 'drama'. I suppose it all boils down to personal preference. I admit I'm probably biased here. There are good things about SX and SO. With SX, I think its not being afraid of the intensity and going for whatever it is holds your attraction. With SO, I think its a sense of wanting to contribute something to the world and a sense of knowing and caring about social appropriateness. Some SO types as a result come across as very kind and considerate.

The_World_As_Will

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather be SP than SX or SO. Seems like just about everybody wants to be SX because somehow they seem more "interesting." SX is more clingy or intense than I care to be and worries too much what the significant other is going to think. SO worries too much about image and what the population at large thinks. SP isn't so concerned with either of these. SP is very independent and self-sufficient. SP cares about their health and their finances (the psychologically 'healthy' ones anyway). They are probably the least likely to live a life with a bunch of 'drama'. I suppose it all boils down to personal preference. I admit I'm probably biased here. There are good things about SX and SO. With SX, I think its not being afraid of the intensity and going for whatever it is holds your attraction. With SO, I think its a sense of wanting to contribute something to the world and a sense of knowing and caring about social appropriateness. Some SO types as a result come across as very kind and considerate.

and if you have any combination of the two (sx/so or so/sx) you are totally fucked :( *looks for shotgun* Personally I think there has to be a balance of collectivist tendencies and individualistic tendencies, do I think SP's get a bad rap? heh, given Corporate america i'd have to disagree with you there, I think perhaps 'negative' SP tendencies, that you mentioned above are desired in that kind of environment, but honestly I think it depends on the individual, and lol you're an sp why do you care what people think? :D I know it's a stereotype but it has a grain of truth to it. I think positive SP tendencies, (looking out for one's own well being, acculating resources for survival, etc) are needed but they aren't the 'only' thing needed, accumulation of resources that not only benefit yourself but the rest of the society is a good way to integrate the energy, not to mention get in touch with the SO instinct, but that's my take on it :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you care what other people say?

it's not so much that I care what other people think as much as I keep hearing the same ignorant comments IRL and find this extremely irritating. people repeating regurgitated, politically correct information frustrates the hell out of me

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

you're absolutely right, my point was that being SP does NOT entail these negative qualities. you are also right that not all of these traits are present in all SP types. we have no disagreement :thumbup:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it's not so much that I care what other people think as much as I keep hearing the same ignorant comments IRL and find this extremely irritating. people repeating regurgitated, politically correct information frustrates the hell out of me

I wish you would stand up for my lack of ability to ignore slander.

Sure this isn't a blog entry?