User Tag List

12 Last

Default Purpose of Instinctual Variants

I'm not sure if this is addressed elsewhere, but what's the purpose of instinctual stacking? As I understand, with the enneagram numbers, there are levels of growth and that kind of thing. Is it the same for instinctual variants, or are they more primarily descriptive?

Edit: What are some ways you have used information about your instinctual variants to promote personal growth or achieve goals?
    Last edited by gromit; 01-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

As far as I can tell, it's to describe what variation of the Enneagram type you are... taking into account introversion/extroversion, and what your primary drive is behind your type. SX (sexual) variants are more interested in one-to-one relationships with other people, SO (social) variants take their type's drive in relationship with others/society around them, and SP (self-preserving) variants take their type's drive in relationship with how to survive in the world. There's a combination of how each of these are stacked with each other based on how much of each variant you have, the highest percentage is your main variant, and the second highest is your second one. It's like comparing three flowers of the same species, but each expresses a different color. Hope this helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Hopefully an enneagram expert will correct this if it`s inaccurate but IMO, instinctual variants are how you interact with people.

So it's really only to describe the different tendencies we have, there's not really any path for growth associated with the different variants/stackings?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Yes, they're really more descriptive. They describe your interpersonal focus.

Haha. Okay. Good thing I made this whole thread about it...

brainheart

I don't know. I think it's helpful because it's making me realize what I tend to over focus on and what I tend to neglect. For example, in the description for four sx/so (as it says in my signature) it says, "these Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsivenss and focus their energies." Now I knew that was true before hand, but sometimes it's helpful to see it in writing.

I'm reading Bob Dylan's Chronicles and what strikes me the most about him is his self preservation variant. He became successful not only due to talent, but because he knew what he wanted, what he wanted was consistent, and he stayed consistently focused on making it happen. Conversely, the only thing I'm consistent about is changing my mind. Now that I'm more aware of this, I'm trying to tap into my self-preservation energy more and make things happen.

Ok interesting. So the third/last one is the one to focus on "developing," as it were?

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Ok interesting. So the third/last one is the one to focus on "developing," as it were?
    Seems to be the case for me, anyway. I have to force myself to eat, get sleep, take showers, make money, etc. I find all of that stuff really unimportant and unexciting. But it's required.

And what I get so hung up on is my inability to sustain attention on even the things that matter to me, because something new and shiny comes along. So I am invoking the sp muse, to come and please help me.

Any information can be utilised. But it's up to you to find a use for it or not.

As an sx/sp, I rein in my natural tendencies to immediately connect until I've had some time to gauge the other person. So it's using sp to offset sx.