• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Instinctual Variants

T

ThatGirl

I was trying to relay this idea to Joe at the meet up as he seems very interested in the variants, but it was difficult to do so. I thought I would make a thread.

I believe that in psychology the variants are possibly more important than people would assume, however the theory is wrong.

As I see it there is no one variant that people will act from all the time. They are circumstantial, yet no less important.

My theory is that there are thee main instinctual variants that govern the actions of all people, at all times. Whenever someone acts, their action can be traced to one of the following three motivations: self preservation, reproduction, or status.

Self preservation is the ability to govern ones self outside of external circumstance. Its motivations are to protect the self, represent the self, and independence.

Reproduction, is as it sounds. To make oneself more fitting to attract or secure a mate.

Status, is a softer variant, as it combines the two previous. Instinctively someone who can climb to the top ensures greater protection and more chances to reproduce. Someone of status, can fear as much as death falling from it, while someone without can crave it.

My theory is that if you look at any act, of any person, at any given time, you will see one of these three factors as the base motivation behind it. In this, people can be quite predictable at times.

There is a way someone will act when trying to achieve any of these three goals. However, not every situation calls for the same motivation, also it is unlikely that someone would operate from one level at all times, unless extremely unhealthy.

In these instinctual variants, we can finally tune into the concepts of value. With the combination or denial of any of the three factors compared to the circumstances, we can get a sense of the value that one person places upon a cause, and how they will react to it (instinctively), causing the effect.

In this, people are pretty simple beings. Also, the projection of ones own instinctual reaction may be compared to another's, and this is where we get disconnection of value so many people argue upon. It is all subjective.

Anyway the point was. The instinctual variants of enneagram were the start of a great theory, but most certainly underdeveloped.

Sunny Ghost

At times I feel like there is something to these instinctual variants... but I honestly have a hard time distinguishing which one fits me, as they all seem to fit me. I also have a hard time believing that one can be incredibly weak in comparison to the other two. For me, I feel as though they are all very equally strong. But maybe I'm wrong.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Was given this test to take again today and got these results.

Sexual |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 86%
Social |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||| 42%

I think these are more accurate for me than any of the other tests (MBTI, enneagram, etc) I've taken. Just feels that way.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
with that said, I am unhappy with those results. I wonder if it's possible to change your variants. I really want to. I'd much rather be sp/so/sx.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fixed. Try again.

T

ThatGirl

At times I feel like there is something to these instinctual variants... but I honestly have a hard time distinguishing which one fits me, as they all seem to fit me. I also have a hard time believing that one can be incredibly weak in comparison to the other two. For me, I feel as though they are all very equally strong. But maybe I'm wrong.

Exactly. The variants suck as a typing system. They are excellent for getting to know people.

If you look at when they chose to act from each variant and get to know how.

The complexity of the human mind can be very simple to dissect.

Sunny Ghost

But how can one truly figure out their own or anyone else's variant stackings?

On one of those test, my SP and SX were at about 75 to 78%, and my SO rated lower... about 48%. But the description for introverted SO's really sounded a lot like me.

I can see with some people, where one might stand out much stronger than another... but I don't know if I can believe that all people will have one in particular as a motivation. Can't people be pretty balanced? I think most people have a need for all three pretty equally.

T

ThatGirl

Right, there is no stacking.

If you want to understand the variants, at least as I see them. First you only have to know how to recognize them. Then you can become aware of which ones are employed under which circumstances. Figure out the common themes behind each variant reaction, then you get a pretty simplified idea of which variant will be employed in what cases and why.

Then it just becomes predictable. You see a common theme rising, you can bet, your first reaction will be to act from the variant associated with it.

It really is a more personalized system. No one is going to act in such a simple stacked model. Like I said, if you get to know how to recognize them, you and others become very simplified beings.

Sunny Ghost

So, in your opinion, you don't believe there is such a thing as stacking? Is it a jumping from one variant to another, or merely one casted variant?

I also don't understand how this simplifies human behavior?

T

ThatGirl

Well, everything we do has an instinctive reaction behind it. We know the three main instincts. So at any given time, we will be acting from one of those instincts.

I am not going to act the same while chatting someone up at a bar that I would if someone is chasing me.

Or maybe I would, then that would give a very simple answer to a complex reaction...I am afraid to be open in love or fear losing myself.

The three themes listed in the op tend to be very predictable in how someone will REACT to an act. They are easy to spot despite whatever chaos or how ever many "factors" could exist around a person.

So basically just watching peoples reactions for a little while tells you a shit load about their psyche.

This is my own theory, and not related to enneagram. I don't know how to describe it more or make it more clear, because each example where I have used this and been accurate, is greatly individualized to the person and the exact situation at the time.

So broad understanding, multiple possibilities, one theory connecting everything together, resulting in predictability.

Sunny Ghost

THAT I can pull a bit more sense from. It's basically how I've thought of the instinctual variants myself.

Well... lemme make sure I actually understand what you mean and am not misinterpreting.

I am not going to act the same while chatting someone up at a bar that I would if someone is chasing me.

Or maybe I would, then that would give a very simple answer to a complex reaction...I am afraid to be open in love or fear losing myself.
It's usually easier for me to understand via examples and then clarification... so I'll go with this one: There's a guy I find attractive, but I don't know him very well. However, I messaged him via Facebook the other day and told him he was in a dream of mine. I thought it might be an interesting way to initiate contact... see where it might lead... but then I was worried he'd just think me weird and creepy. He messaged me back and said he was glad I said dream and not nightmare. I ran into him a day or two later. However, I was horribly embarrassed about having messaged him in the first place. So, I left and met up with some friends. Later in the evening (bar hopping, btw), ran into him again. This time I was with my friends and I was just trying to avoid him. He approached me and asked if I had any more dreams. I told him "no," and apologized for having ignored him most of the night, and told him I was mostly embarrassed. He asked what I was up to, and I told him just hopping around, but that I would probably wind up at this particular bar later, because a friends band was playing. He wound up there later, as well. I wanted to talk to him, but was amongst friends and this time would have been embarrassed to approach him and talk it up, whilst in the company of my friends. So, I didn't talk to him at all.

I can't decide... is this SX, SP, or SO in action? Or am I completely misunderstanding the point of the variants all together.

On the part of this particular guy, I very much sense SX and SO. The first time I was introduced to him he was very intense and immediately asked me many questions to get to know me. It sort of took me aback, though I found him attractive immediately. I think I was very curt in my responses and came off as uninterested.

As far as instincts go, what do you see being at play in your opinion, if that's anything to go off of?

T

ThatGirl

Ha!

Easily reproduction and status.

Sounds like you like the guy, but then your main focus turns to the status of the interaction. Figuring out the roles, when should something be said, done, don't say too much.

Sounds like your main concern is to appear in a acceptable manner, regardless if it gains or costs you the relationship.

Because of this, until you get more comfortable and less concerned with status you will probably feel off in your interactions or seem somewhat inconsistent until you sort out your role, or suddenly become okay with being yourself, regardless of the consequence.

Like I said status has elements of reproduction and self preservation in bits. Though it is an instinct all of its own as it very much leads to a different reaction than either of the other two.

The more time I would have to analyze the way you disengage each of these variants the more I would be able to accurately predict what you will do next.

Sunny Ghost

Sorting out my role definitely resonates a lot with me and my interactions with people.

And yes! I feel as though each of the instincts have tidbits of the others.

However, I do feel a strong pull towards SP as well... but maybe I'm confusing this with my mbti (being an introvert) and being an e4 (need for identity). The reason I believe that SP is very much me, also, is because whenever I'm overly involved in a relationship or even just spend too much time with friends, I tend to feel as though I become super merged with them. In romantic relationships, I do love that aspect. I am definitely a romantic and yearn for a deep and meaningful and unique relationship with a soul mate. However, when actually in a romantic relationship, and though I love feeling in love... I also start to feel an identity crisis... feel as though I lose myself in the relationship. I then become torn between wanting to remain in love and wanting to escape and be completely independent of the relationship. This is why I so often withdraw, because it is when I withdraw from others that I feel most myself. I've been single for the past year, and though I continue to yearn to be in a relationship and find myself with many crushes... I also know that this year has been the most stable for me. And it's because I've been alone and been able to reconnect with myself. This is why I originally thought I was more SX/SP. But I do definitely have that pull towards not coming off as a freak in the public eye. I also overanalyze my interactions with others. So, I just remain torn on what I think of these instincts.

With my example earlier, you said you believe that it was SX and SO at play... but perhaps with SO a bit more strongly? Would this imply, simply from the one example, that you believe me to be more SO, so far?

T

ThatGirl

Ah, I see. I don't believe you to be SO. I think in that situation yes you were coming from a heavy SO dominated stance.

I'll try to get back to you a little later with a better explanation right now...headache.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow, you guys are so balanced. my stacking is blatantly obvious
Self Preservation: 90%
Sexual: 62%
Social: 10%

wolfy

awsm
Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 62%
Social |||||||||||| 34%
Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||| 58%

I can see that sp and sx affect me most. And I relate to both sp/sx and sx/sp descriptions of nine. I can see how I am a blend of these.

wolfy

awsm
I can't decide... is this SX, SP, or SO in action? Or am I completely misunderstanding the point of the variants all together.

Maybe it is SO. I was just thinking how when I am into talking to someone I tend to close off everything in my surroundings and only pay attention to them.