• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] Sp and hoarding?

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
As like gathering and keeping things for future use.

I read that E5 tends to do that but I wonder if this is a Sp trait as well. I find myself getting and saving many things I rarely use. Or maybe I'm just a compulsive shopper, buying stuff I don't really need.

Does the tendency to hoard accumulate and save things manifest in you guys in any way?

Last edited:
P

Phantonym

4w5 sp/so here. I guess I could call myself a hoarder, but I'm mostly concerned about the practicality of things and get stuff I will definitely use in the future. I just hate being short of anything I might need some day, I like to be prepared for anything. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not a hoarder now. I think as a kid I was somewhat of a pack rat, largely because I started all these different types of collections. I eventually grew out of it and either sold or threw away most of that stuff. I'm glad I'm not a hoarder. It feels good to be free from all the clutter. Sometimes less is more. I like simplicity. Once in a while I've found that I previously threw something away that I now need. But it's rarely a big deal because I can always buy another one. I'd rather make that mistake than not throw anything away and then not being able to find it later because I've got too much stuff.

My dad is a big-time pack rat who never wants to throw anything away. I think he's a type 9, self-pres. It causes problems at times with his wife who would like to just be able to get rid of some of the clutter.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like the word hoarder but I buy lots of crap and don't often get around to getting rid of lots of other crap to make room *grin*

... but yus, it can be related to sp-ness.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some things I keep around because of sentimental value (i.e. cards, drawings), and other things I keep around because I still use them. If anything, I have a problem with over packing... I feel like I have to bring my life with me whenever I go someplace.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Self-pres here, probably 5w4 or 5w6 sp, and yes, I have hoarding tendencies. Gradually training myself to "let go" of things, and that sometimes not having something is worth more than the item itself is worth.

I'm Unregistered

MBTI Type
INXX
Enneagram
4w5
I see a lot of hoarders being SFP's or just F's in general, as they often seem extremely attatched to the things that they're hoarding. It can apply to any type, though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I may be 6w5 or maybe, 5w6, and sp/so according to some random test, seems fairly accurate.

I have hoarding tendencies with things that I could/will use in the future, even if that future only happens every few years or os. But I hate the look of clutter so all the "hoardings" stay in the basement or at least in neat containers. I don't buy much though. That's what the "hoarding" is for, so I can avoid rebuying things. It just makes sense, as long as I have the space and the things don't expire. I don't have an emotional attachment to them per se, though I'd get pretty irritated if I had to throw everything out since it'd mean buying a lot of stuff to replace it when it was eventually needed!

My parents are both hoarders (one of them could easily be on the show) so I didn't learn much about organizing or staying tidy/clean growing up. Still learning. But it gave me a great example of what will happen if I get lazy about it. :cheese:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I see a lot of hoarders being SFP's or just F's in general, as they often seem extremely attatched to the things that they're hoarding. It can apply to any type, though.

I think the thread is about Enneagram subtype, not Kiersey's.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5 sp/so here. I guess I could call myself a hoarder, but I'm mostly concerned about the practicality of things and get stuff I will definitely use in the future. I just hate being short of anything I might need some day, I like to be prepared for anything. :D

Yeah, I only keep stuff that I think will be practical in the future. The thing is I really don't know for sure whether they will indeed be useful.

9w8 sp/sx, I don't like hoarding and love space.
I like space too. I wasn't thinking of the extreme cases of hoarding. I guess I just couldn't think of a better word for getting and storing things. Most of the stuff I keep do have values, not random stacks of papers or cans. :laugh:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have hoarding tendencies with things that I could/will use in the future, even if that future only happens every few years or os. But I hate the look of clutter so all the "hoardings" stay in the basement or at least in neat containers. I don't buy much though. That's what the "hoarding" is for, so I can avoid rebuying things. It just makes sense, as long as I have the space and the things don't expire. I don't have an emotional attachment to them per se, though I'd get pretty irritated if I had to throw everything out since it'd mean buying a lot of stuff to replace it when it was eventually needed!

My parents are both hoarders (one of them could easily be on the show) so I didn't learn much about organizing or staying tidy/clean growing up. Still learning. But it gave me a great example of what will happen if I get lazy about it. :cheese:

My parents are hoarders too, to the point of qualifying for the show. I’ve noticed hoarding tendencies in myself (I’m both e5 and sp), but I think I’ve only noticed them because it’s been a point of contention for so long in my life. I’m not sure I actually hoard more than most people, I’m just more sensitive to the possibility. It’s a hard call to make sometimes: I really don’t like throwing something out if I might need it, and it seems like as long as I’m not tripping over it (or it’s not impairing my ability to function somehow) then it shouldn’t be a problem. Mostly, with me, it’s books and art supplies- and while it’s true that there are some I’ll never use again, I have no way of knowing which ones those are. I really do occasionally need some obscure kind of paint brush/paper/etc, or want to reference some kind of information in a book I didn’t think I’d need again, and it’s nice to already have the stuff around.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My parents are hoarders too, to the point of qualifying for the show. I’ve noticed hoarding tendencies in myself (I’m both e5 and sp), but I think I’ve only noticed them because it’s been a point of contention for so long in my life. I’m not sure I actually hoard more than most people, I’m just more sensitive to the possibility. It’s a hard call to make sometimes: I really don’t like throwing something out if I might need it, and it seems like as long as I’m not tripping over it (or it’s not impairing my ability to function somehow) then it shouldn’t be a problem. Mostly, with me, it’s books and art supplies- and while it’s true that there are some I’ll never use again, I have no way of knowing which ones those are. I really do occasionally need some obscure kind of paint brush/paper/etc, or want to reference some kind of information in a book I didn’t think I’d need again, and it’s nice to already have the stuff around.

Yeah, I can relate to this. I think some of my recent (past 8 yrs maybe) anti-hoarding tendencies, and desiring to not have any net accumulation of 'stuff' going forward (getting rid of things if I acquire new things), has a lot to do with the fact that my mom specifically has so much stuff that I don't want to be like her. :smile: She's just one of those types who is knick-knack/interior decoration queen - changing things season by season and also constantly getting new stuff - and has heaps and heaps of what I consider in the end to be rather useless stuff. But I think it's partly a generational thing and partly just her own taste for decorating, etc. (She's an sp-dom ISTJ, btw)

Anyway. I do have maybe three boxes of 'useless' stuff of sentimental value - stuff from childhood that I don't exactly want to get rid of yet. Then I also have books and my own decorating flair/style, but it's much less cluttery than my mother. I'm not a gadget-head, though, and I tend not to buy many *things*. So I don't really plan on acquiring anything new without donating and getting rid of something else - like I said above, I have no interest in becoming a pack rat or having to deal with more and more stuff over time. I also tend to get rid of anything that hasn't been used or looked at for a couple of years - if I haven't used it in two years' time, it's very very unlikely I'll use it in the future (practical things like hammers/tools aside). A lot of stuff/clutter tends to annoy me these days. I'd rather simplify.

wolfy

awsm
I like space too. I wasn't thinking of the extreme cases of hoarding. I guess I just couldn't think of a better word for getting and storing things. Most of the stuff I keep do have values, not random stacks of papers or cans. :laugh:

I'm less of a hoarder than most people. If in doubt, throw it out. Though I do have my little collections...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am an ESTP "hoarder" in the sense that I keep anything useful and that is worth $10 or more stashed away until I need it again, or find someone who I can give it to later to help them out. I've done this with wallets (for some reason a favored Xmas present of like 7 of my relatives), the old CD cartridges for my trunk loaded 6 CD changer of my year 2000 BMW 530i (I had 3 cartridges) so I gave them at random a few years ago to a friend with the same car, and then last week I gave a friend of mine and his wife my spare leather BMW key holders as they both bought used 2003 and 2001 BMW 5 and 3 series.

I am not a slob, I am actually very orderly, and know where everything is, evene what box and what Ziploc plastic bag it is in. And about twice per year I do a major clean up and make Goodwill very happy.

:happy:

-Halla

Sunny Ghost

I figure hoarding is more of the "poor man's" mentality or extreme sentimentality. (Did I just make up a word??)

I'm a bit of both. But not extremely so. I can be quite sentimental and attached to items, like photos, art, cards, gifts, random nick knacks.

But things like clothing and etc... I'll hold on to things for a period. I'll go through my items every once in a while to see what I might be able to take to the Goodwill or Salvation Army, and sometimes though I haven't touched an item in a while, I'll decide to hold on to it anyways--say like a dress or something I haven't worn in a very long time. However, a year later, I'll go through the same process again... and I'll still decide I might hold on to that dress. However, one more year, same process again, I'll finally decide it's time to part with the dress if I haven't touched it in that long, and decide someone else may get more use out of it than me.

-----btw, I'm still unsure of my variant stackings.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
not really materialistic guy, I prize my self on my skill and what i know.

B

brainheart

Conversely, I LOVE getting rid of stuff. I stupidly, impulsively throw things away, then regret it later. But at the time of the purging, wow, is it a great feeling. If it were up to me I would have the same amount of material possessions as a pioneer. I think a lot of this also has to do with the fact that I hate cleaning and taking care of stuff. It's so absurdly boring, mundane, and monotonous.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a ton of possessions and have trouble letting them go. It is a big trigger when people try to indicate I need to let go of something that I've been holding onto, I mean possesion wise. I myself am core e5 and have always been like this. Maybe my enneagram feeds into this trait. I am an extreme packrat to a fault. I easily get attached and am a tad bit on the greedy side.

It is like a never ending bag/pot that needs to constantly be filled and I think of new things I want. I am happy with what I have but it is weird that I think of new things I want. I also collect things a hobby, keep my collections in a particular order, and when I get a new thing, try to think of a good place to put it in the order. It's orderly chaos though because I am the opposite of organized. When people go through my stuff, it invokes heightened anxiety.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I fit the stereotype of E5 hoarding a lot, sometimes overly so to the point that for example, I might feel like I don't have enough skills/am not ready for something when in reality, I am overqualified (integration to 8 is golden). But, my hoarding is also on the more mental/intangible realm, out of the need to have enough of whatever it is being hoarded.

The physical objects I do hoard tend to come in the form of usable/perishable objects.
I am very unsentimental and given sufficient resources/good replacements, I can 'toss out' my old ones just fine.
To sum it up, I am attached to the concept it represents (stability and safety), but not the specific object itself, not inherently.
Emotional attachment in itself is a drain on my mental resources/energy.