User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    4w5 sp/so here. I guess I could call myself a hoarder, but I'm mostly concerned about the practicality of things and get stuff I will definitely use in the future. I just hate being short of anything I might need some day, I like to be prepared for anything.
    Yeah, I only keep stuff that I think will be practical in the future. The thing is I really don't know for sure whether they will indeed be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    9w8 sp/sx, I don't like hoarding and love space.
    I like space too. I wasn't thinking of the extreme cases of hoarding. I guess I just couldn't think of a better word for getting and storing things. Most of the stuff I keep do have values, not random stacks of papers or cans.
    In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

9w8 so/sx/sp

--Deviantart--

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I have hoarding tendencies with things that I could/will use in the future, even if that future only happens every few years or os. But I hate the look of clutter so all the "hoardings" stay in the basement or at least in neat containers. I don't buy much though. That's what the "hoarding" is for, so I can avoid rebuying things. It just makes sense, as long as I have the space and the things don't expire. I don't have an emotional attachment to them per se, though I'd get pretty irritated if I had to throw everything out since it'd mean buying a lot of stuff to replace it when it was eventually needed!

My parents are both hoarders (one of them could easily be on the show) so I didn't learn much about organizing or staying tidy/clean growing up. Still learning. But it gave me a great example of what will happen if I get lazy about it.
    My parents are hoarders too, to the point of qualifying for the show. I’ve noticed hoarding tendencies in myself (I’m both e5 and sp), but I think I’ve only noticed them because it’s been a point of contention for so long in my life. I’m not sure I actually hoard more than most people, I’m just more sensitive to the possibility. It’s a hard call to make sometimes: I really don’t like throwing something out if I might need it, and it seems like as long as I’m not tripping over it (or it’s not impairing my ability to function somehow) then it shouldn’t be a problem. Mostly, with me, it’s books and art supplies- and while it’s true that there are some I’ll never use again, I have no way of knowing which ones those are. I really do occasionally need some obscure kind of paint brush/paper/etc, or want to reference some kind of information in a book I didn’t think I’d need again, and it’s nice to already have the stuff around.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    My parents are hoarders too, to the point of qualifying for the show. I’ve noticed hoarding tendencies in myself (I’m both e5 and sp), but I think I’ve only noticed them because it’s been a point of contention for so long in my life. [B]I’m not sure I actually hoard more than most people, I’m just more sensitive to the possibility. It’s a hard call to make sometimes: I really don’t like throwing something out if I might need it, and it seems like as long as I’m not tripping over it (or it’s not impairing my ability to function somehow) then it shouldn’t be a problem. [B] Mostly, with me, it’s books and art supplies- and while it’s true that there are some I’ll never use again, I have no way of knowing which ones those are. I really do occasionally need some obscure kind of paint brush/paper/etc, or want to reference some kind of information in a book I didn’t think I’d need again, and it’s nice to already have the stuff around.
    Yeah, I can relate to this. I think some of my recent (past 8 yrs maybe) anti-hoarding tendencies, and desiring to not have any net accumulation of 'stuff' going forward (getting rid of things if I acquire new things), has a lot to do with the fact that my mom specifically has so much stuff that I don't want to be like her. She's just one of those types who is knick-knack/interior decoration queen - changing things season by season and also constantly getting new stuff - and has heaps and heaps of what I consider in the end to be rather useless stuff. But I think it's partly a generational thing and partly just her own taste for decorating, etc. (She's an sp-dom ISTJ, btw)

Anyway. I do have maybe three boxes of 'useless' stuff of sentimental value - stuff from childhood that I don't exactly want to get rid of yet. Then I also have books and my own decorating flair/style, but it's much less cluttery than my mother. I'm not a gadget-head, though, and I tend not to buy many *things*. So I don't really plan on acquiring anything new without donating and getting rid of something else - like I said above, I have no interest in becoming a pack rat or having to deal with more and more stuff over time. I also tend to get rid of anything that hasn't been used or looked at for a couple of years - if I haven't used it in two years' time, it's very very unlikely I'll use it in the future (practical things like hammers/tools aside). A lot of stuff/clutter tends to annoy me these days. I'd rather simplify.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    I like space too. I wasn't thinking of the extreme cases of hoarding. I guess I just couldn't think of a better word for getting and storing things. Most of the stuff I keep do have values, not random stacks of papers or cans.
    I'm less of a hoarder than most people. If in doubt, throw it out. Though I do have my little collections...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I am an ESTP "hoarder" in the sense that I keep anything useful and that is worth $10 or more stashed away until I need it again, or find someone who I can give it to later to help them out. I've done this with wallets (for some reason a favored Xmas present of like 7 of my relatives), the old CD cartridges for my trunk loaded 6 CD changer of my year 2000 BMW 530i (I had 3 cartridges) so I gave them at random a few years ago to a friend with the same car, and then last week I gave a friend of mine and his wife my spare leather BMW key holders as they both bought used 2003 and 2001 BMW 5 and 3 series.

I am not a slob, I am actually very orderly, and know where everything is, evene what box and what Ziploc plastic bag it is in. And about twice per year I do a major clean up and make Goodwill very happy.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I figure hoarding is more of the "poor man's" mentality or extreme sentimentality. (Did I just make up a word??)

I'm a bit of both. But not extremely so. I can be quite sentimental and attached to items, like photos, art, cards, gifts, random nick knacks.

But things like clothing and etc... I'll hold on to things for a period. I'll go through my items every once in a while to see what I might be able to take to the Goodwill or Salvation Army, and sometimes though I haven't touched an item in a while, I'll decide to hold on to it anyways--say like a dress or something I haven't worn in a very long time. However, a year later, I'll go through the same process again... and I'll still decide I might hold on to that dress. However, one more year, same process again, I'll finally decide it's time to part with the dress if I haven't touched it in that long, and decide someone else may get more use out of it than me.

-----btw, I'm still unsure of my variant stackings.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

not really materialistic guy, I prize my self on my skill and what i know.

brainheart

Conversely, I LOVE getting rid of stuff. I stupidly, impulsively throw things away, then regret it later. But at the time of the purging, wow, is it a great feeling. If it were up to me I would have the same amount of material possessions as a pioneer. I think a lot of this also has to do with the fact that I hate cleaning and taking care of stuff. It's so absurdly boring, mundane, and monotonous.