User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Sp doms, how well do you relate with this description?

Self-Preserving Ennegram Instinctual Subtype

The "self-preserving" Instinctual Subtypes are driven by the ongoing search for survival and well being. Anything that could possibly damage, endanger, or exploit the self is of concern. The focus of attention is subtly on "the self" and "my world." The primary desire is for security, which is manifested by a continual perceived quest for well-being and for the "essential" needs of life, such as food, comfort, safety, protection, and resources.

The concerns of the self-preserving Instinctual Subtypes involve issues of living and compromise - for example, "to be or not to be" or "how to be." The survival strategy places an intense emphasis on either caution or self-destruction. The focus is to aggressively go after what one needs and/or to defensively hold onto what one has. The common theme statements reflect the attention to "self," such as "how am I?", with this type often defining itself by "how comfortably and successfully I experience my body" - i.e., issues dealing with "what are my physical needs and desires?"

The energy projected is described as "conserved energy" and is often experienced as "grounded," as if it were tightly contained around the body like a spiral coil. The energy is usually somber, heavy, and serious in nature, as if the person is attempting to function while carrying some great weight on his or her shoulders, and is thus conserving energy for later personal use. The self-preserving Instinctual Subtypes will "sacrifice for self" to insure survival. Rather than looking to the group or a mate to "solve problems," these types tend to "look inward" based upon an inherent recognition that "I'm on my own" and "I have to take care of myself."
    I'm not sure whether I'm sp/sx or sx/sp but I rather like this description more than the others. It focuses less on the physical aspect of safety and comfort and more on where the energy of Sp is distributed to achieve that sense of well-being. I identify a lot with "the self", "my world", "how to be", and the "conserved energy".

Source

EDIT: Title changed from Sp/sx and Sp/so to Sp doms.
    Last edited by Goosebump; 01-08-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

9w8 so/sx/sp

--Deviantart--

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I think this description is more holistic, not only describes the main reason behind being a self-pres variant, but also describes how their general vibe is. Definitely think this applies to me very well. I had questions whether or not I was a true 4w5 sp because some descriptions make 4 sp's out to be quite dramatic in terms of how they will die and stuff, but from reading this, it hits home. Definitely been concerned about how I am... not only physically, but emotionally, and in terms of my identity. Finding out ways to define my existence, and how things in the environment influence this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

CuriousFeeling, I can relate to what you said about being concerned of not only how you are physically but emotionally as well. I think that's what bothers me about other descriptions of Sp as they focus too much on the physical aspect and not enough on the mental aspect.

To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm. I've always had strong disdain to the thought of being in relationship with mental abuse, no matter how wonderful it feels.

9w8 so/sx/sp

--Deviantart--

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    CuriousFeeling, I can relate to what you said about being concerned of not only how you are physically but emotionally as well. I think that's what bothers me about other descriptions of Sp as they focus too much on the physical aspect and not enough on the mental aspect.

To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm. I've always had strong disdain to the thought of being in relationship with mental abuse, no matter how wonderful it feels.
    Yes, I am quite self-protective as well... plus like to make sure I will be able to survive not only physically, psychologically, but also financially. I wonder if sp's are a bit more choosy in romantic relationships because of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm.
    YES. I agree strongly with it. Not sure if I've always been like that or if it's a reaction developed due to getting myself into some bad situations.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Funny, the first site I picked from the search results (although I've read about sp/so/sx earlier), had the description you posted part of. Isn't that an example of self-preservation? Hmm, although it got socially inspired, by reading your post... I do believe I am self-preserving. But I can be community-oriented, though it will mostly be from a self-preserving perspective. It's important for me nevertheless to pay attention to my social instinct to guide me in social situations.
    I do believe I have a clear, if subtle, Sx, a desire to merge, but perhaps mostly on a mental level.
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm not sure whether I'm sp/sx or sx/sp but I rather like this description more than the others. It focuses less on the physical aspect of safety and comfort and more on where the energy of Sp is distributed to achieve that sense of well-being. I identify a lot with "the self", "my world", "how to be", and the "conserved energy".

Source

EDIT: Title changed from Sp/sx and Sp/so to Sp doms.
    well... dern. now i'm questioning my own variant stacking again. sx/sp or sp/sx. i need to read up on them once more.
    Last edited by IndyGhost; 01-09-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    Funny, the first site I picked from the search results (although I've read about sp/so/sx earlier), had the description you posted part of. Isn't that an example of self-preservation? Hmm, although it got socially inspired, by reading your post... I do believe I am self-preserving.
    What search results are you speaking of?

9w8 so/sx/sp

--Deviantart--

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

where did you get this particular description?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green