• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] Sp doms, how well do you relate with this description?

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Self-Preserving Ennegram Instinctual Subtype

The "self-preserving" Instinctual Subtypes are driven by the ongoing search for survival and well being. Anything that could possibly damage, endanger, or exploit the self is of concern. The focus of attention is subtly on "the self" and "my world." The primary desire is for security, which is manifested by a continual perceived quest for well-being and for the "essential" needs of life, such as food, comfort, safety, protection, and resources.

The concerns of the self-preserving Instinctual Subtypes involve issues of living and compromise - for example, "to be or not to be" or "how to be." The survival strategy places an intense emphasis on either caution or self-destruction. The focus is to aggressively go after what one needs and/or to defensively hold onto what one has. The common theme statements reflect the attention to "self," such as "how am I?", with this type often defining itself by "how comfortably and successfully I experience my body" - i.e., issues dealing with "what are my physical needs and desires?"

The energy projected is described as "conserved energy" and is often experienced as "grounded," as if it were tightly contained around the body like a spiral coil. The energy is usually somber, heavy, and serious in nature, as if the person is attempting to function while carrying some great weight on his or her shoulders, and is thus conserving energy for later personal use. The self-preserving Instinctual Subtypes will "sacrifice for self" to insure survival. Rather than looking to the group or a mate to "solve problems," these types tend to "look inward" based upon an inherent recognition that "I'm on my own" and "I have to take care of myself."

I'm not sure whether I'm sp/sx or sx/sp but I rather like this description more than the others. It focuses less on the physical aspect of safety and comfort and more on where the energy of Sp is distributed to achieve that sense of well-being. I identify a lot with "the self", "my world", "how to be", and the "conserved energy".

Source

EDIT: Title changed from Sp/sx and Sp/so to Sp doms. :cheese:

Last edited:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this description is more holistic, not only describes the main reason behind being a self-pres variant, but also describes how their general vibe is. Definitely think this applies to me very well. I had questions whether or not I was a true 4w5 sp because some descriptions make 4 sp's out to be quite dramatic in terms of how they will die and stuff, but from reading this, it hits home. Definitely been concerned about how I am... not only physically, but emotionally, and in terms of my identity. Finding out ways to define my existence, and how things in the environment influence this.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
CuriousFeeling, I can relate to what you said about being concerned of not only how you are physically but emotionally as well. I think that's what bothers me about other descriptions of Sp as they focus too much on the physical aspect and not enough on the mental aspect.

To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm. I've always had strong disdain to the thought of being in relationship with mental abuse, no matter how wonderful it feels.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
CuriousFeeling, I can relate to what you said about being concerned of not only how you are physically but emotionally as well. I think that's what bothers me about other descriptions of Sp as they focus too much on the physical aspect and not enough on the mental aspect.

To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm. I've always had strong disdain to the thought of being in relationship with mental abuse, no matter how wonderful it feels.

Yes, I am quite self-protective as well... plus like to make sure I will be able to survive not only physically, psychologically, but also financially. I wonder if sp's are a bit more choosy in romantic relationships because of this.

gromit

likes this
To me, self-preservation means protecting myself from possible physical AND emotional harm.

YES. I agree strongly with it. Not sure if I've always been like that or if it's a reaction developed due to getting myself into some bad situations.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Funny, the first site I picked from the search results (although I've read about sp/so/sx earlier), had the description you posted part of. Isn't that an example of self-preservation? Hmm, although it got socially inspired, by reading your post... I do believe I am self-preserving. But I can be community-oriented, though it will mostly be from a self-preserving perspective. It's important for me nevertheless to pay attention to my social instinct to guide me in social situations.
I do believe I have a clear, if subtle, Sx, a desire to merge, but perhaps mostly on a mental level.

Sunny Ghost

I'm not sure whether I'm sp/sx or sx/sp but I rather like this description more than the others. It focuses less on the physical aspect of safety and comfort and more on where the energy of Sp is distributed to achieve that sense of well-being. I identify a lot with "the self", "my world", "how to be", and the "conserved energy".

Source

EDIT: Title changed from Sp/sx and Sp/so to Sp doms. :cheese:

well... dern. now i'm questioning my own variant stacking again. sx/sp or sp/sx. i need to read up on them once more.

Last edited:

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Funny, the first site I picked from the search results (although I've read about sp/so/sx earlier), had the description you posted part of. Isn't that an example of self-preservation? Hmm, although it got socially inspired, by reading your post... I do believe I am self-preserving.

What search results are you speaking of? :huh:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't identify much with most general sp descriptions, they're too focused on things that I as a 7 am not interested in, how it fits for me is after my E type. The subtle focus (or not so subtle as it may be) on self is true for me and the look inward not turn to others to solve problems is also quite true. But I don't expect either of those things are contrary to some so or sx doms. For me the sp dom-ness is about my desire for pleasure and positive experiences over so and sx desires.

The write ups here are relatable for me.

KiwiBurst

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
The "self-preserving" Instinctual Subtypes are driven by the ongoing search for survival and well being. Anything that could possibly damage, endanger, or exploit the self is of concern. The focus of attention is subtly on "the self" and "my world." The primary desire is for security, which is manifested by a continual perceived quest for well-being and for the "essential" needs of life, such as food, comfort, safety, protection, and resources.

STORY OF MY LIFE. :doh:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well... dern. now i'm questioning my own variant stacking again. sx/sp or sp/sx. i need to read up on them once more.
I have been trying to choose between these two myself. I tend to favor sp/sx, though because, when my sp desire for safety and control conflicts with my sx desire for intimacy, sp usually wins. This manifests itself in that it takes me a long time to build up enough trust "to let someone in", and if they betray that trust, they are quickly kicked back out, usually without hope of return.

B

brainheart

Everything except this:
The focus is to aggressively go after what one needs

I especially relate to the part about having heavy energy, like a weight on the shoulders. It's so heavy it's hard for me to do much at all. And yet I'm very thin.

This is also totally me:

Pair Bonding
Self-preserving moves to Sexual For example, the self preserving subtype considers a mate as an essential need to maintain and insure security. Therefore, when in search of a mate the self-preserving subtype will feel anxiety and suspense until a mate is secured. In order to attract a mate, the self-preserving subtype will shift to their respective sexual instinctual drive to accommodate this fear. Outwardly the self-preserving subtype will behave like the sexual subtype, pay more attention to their desirability and will be sensual or flirtatious. At first, the self-preserving subtype will spend more time one on more with the possible mate. Once the mate is secured, the self-preserving subtype will return to basic routines.