• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] Any so/sx people around here?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think I know very many so/sx people and I'm curious for comparison's sake to see if I identify with the kind of vibe they give off, compared to the other instinctual variants.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:hi:
I'm an so/sx as well.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh: I finally got it after a few reads.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm fairly sure I'm 5, so/sx. I relate very well to this, from here:

Social/Sexual

When reasonably healthy, people of this subtype can be very engaging (for a Five). They smile a lot and are often friendly. Their energy is quite different from the social/self-pres subtype because both the social and sexual energies push outwards, and so partly balance out some of the withdrawing tendencies of the Five. This doesn’t mean that people of this subtype are necessarily any healthier however. The outgoing energy is not the result of true integration to Eight but is the result of the compulsive pull of the instincts. People of this subtype are usually warm and when feeling secure are likely to let people in and even to initiate contact. When they feel insecure however, they can actually go to the other extreme and be very shy. For this reason, people of this subtype could easily be mistyped; those Fives who withdraw from social contact because of feelings of insecurity, might not seem like social subtypes at all. It might not be obvious that they actually very much desire contact. For people of this subtype, the social instinct actually works as a release value for the sexual component. When relaxed and comfortable with others, the sexual instinct can easily be seen.

People of this subtype are very aware of how they “fit in,” and also experience the sexual drive of wanting to connect with intimates. Like other social/sexual subtypes, they have the tendency to cultivate many relationships. They want to be liked by everyone, but being Fives they also tend to hold a part of themselves back for fear of rejection or of being overwhelmed by the demands of the relationship. This subtype of Five is more likely to fear rejection than the other subtypes of Five. Because both of the dominant instincts are focused on people, any failure in the realm of interpersonal relationships triggers a fear that there is no safety in the world. Personality systems like the Enneagram function as tool to help this subtype of Five to feel safe in the world. People of this subtype tend to think that the more they understand people, the less chance they have of being rejected. This tends to be a blind spot for people of this subtype as they don’t see that what will actually help them to become healthier is gaining more life experience. This will help them to see that their world will not come to an end with a little rejection.

Why I think I'm so-first:

- compulsive networker at work. I remember most people I meet, what they do, their strengths and weaknesses, their connections and networks. That kinda thing.

- I know a lot of people. Under extreme stress, I am very very anti-social. But I generally have many acquaintances and friends (very few close friends, though).

- Perceived rejection by others is my Achilles heel.

- Despite being somewhat clumsy with people skills and body language, I'm really good at picking up interpersonal politics. If I've met someone once or twice in meetings or at conferences, I usually have a pretty good read on them - trustworthiness, skills, how they play the game etc.

Edit: 5 so/sx's are fairly rare from what I've gleaned from INTPc.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So/sx reporting for duty.

I went off the enneagram because even though I fit the 8w9 type the most, I also relate strongly with the five type and since I feel like a hybrid that doesn't fit into the enneagram, I think the enneagram is wrong. However the soc/sx/sp system I think might be onto something.

Whatever type I am I'm deinitely as social first because:

-I always know who's around me, what they're doing and why they're doing it. I make it seem like I'm in my own world but I am fully aware of my environment at all times

-Constantly checking the news, I need to know what's going on in the world

-I'm a misanthropist

-I'm strongly concerned whats good for my group, this is my main priority in life

-You help me when I need help, and I will repay you ten fold, and I will get angry if you thank me, any aid you receive from me is because you have earned it

-I am my most happiest surrounded by a good group of friends, friends who have truly got your back

-I like to be the first one in, last one out, we all leave together, or none of us will leave

-I also love watching team sports, there's an Al Pacino speech in any given sunday which pretty much sums up the core of how a social 8 thinks

[YOUTUBE="WO4tIrjBDkk"].[/YOUTUBE]

To be honest I could post social 8 videos all day long

[YOUTUBE="5j2F4VcBmeo"]few good men speech[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="kd0kDxP04eI"]Haka[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="3u3IM3sRQWk"]Dead Prez - Down[/YOUTUBE]
etc etc

(apoligises for the over the top testosterone in this post)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I thought I was a sx/so but chatting with BlackCat made me think more about it. :alttongue:

Think he might be right and I am more of a so/sx.

The 7w6 so/sx I feel comfortable with.
Social/Sexual

This Seven has a lot of energy although not always a productive energy, as it often contains a frenetic quality. These Sevens usually have a great sense of humor and many comedians are soc/sexual sevens. The social and sexual instincts go hand in hand with the type Seven fixation. These Sevens want to keep things light. They have fast sharp minds that incorporate social awareness into their humor which they use to get by in their interactions with the world. On the down side, commitment is a big issue for this subtype.

They cultivate many friendships and can thrive on winning people over, making them laugh and entertaining them but intimacy can feel threatening and constraining. [Note that italicized part is totally untrue. I LOVE intimacy and thrive on connection, that is reason I thought I was sx/so]

For others, interacting with this subtype of Seven can feel draining, because they are “on” so much of the time. [This was much more the case when I was younger, people would comment and complain about this, I've calmed down a lot and become more secure in myself since then...I'm also a lot more secretive]

With the self-pres instinct least developed in the stacking, they tend to lose focus on their many plans. On the down side, their health and commitments can fall by the wayside in lieu of the buzz of the newest excitement.

In intimate relationships, this subtype is “the charmer,” but they maintain their freedom from any strong ties to the one person. They may end up in marriages or long term commitments where they hook up with someone reliable and stable, someone with a much more low key personality. This gives them the stability they don’t have themselves. This eventually leads to trouble if the soc/sexual seven doesn’t realize that responsibility for his or her own life can’t be transferred to another. It’s not that the soc/sexual goes into the relationship with this kind of pattern in mind. It is just easy for the dynamic to default to that dynamic.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I just retested myself and I am 5w4 so/sx/sp. I can relate to bluebells quote.