• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts How to distinguish Sx/Sp and Sx/So?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a hard time to distinguish them. I think I'am one among the both, but I can't decide wich is the one. I'm sure I'm a sexual 9, I've read that the sexual nine is called the "union" type and that's totally fit with me. The social nine is called the "peripheral participation" type who can like activity with group but to be disengaged at the same type and move toward asociability, and the self-pres 9 is called the "appetite" type. I think I fit more with the social variant. I'm the type of person, for example, who eats just because he's supposed to eat according to the social ritual. But who eat just what is necessary, and no more.

I've had some episodes of compulsive fooding, but I think it was more a form of narcotizing associated with excess (wing 8) rather than a real interest for material consumption. Actually, I think that I got bored for everithing associated with self-preservational stuff. I've doubt to have So in second rather than Sp because I'm clearly introvert, but there's some introvert So here (Bubbles, Ayo...), so I guess it does'nt matter. But I still a little hesitating, so I would be interesting with more details or information about differences between Sx/Sp and Sx/So.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey SpeedGavroche! :happy:

I am 7w8 sx/so.

I have no need for self preservation, it is what I do best by nature.
Although I am no expert, I can tell you that for me, my primary modus operandi with regard to anything I do is to enjoy it. Whether work or play, I'm going to have a good time. That spills out into my drive for socialization.

I socialize for the love of interacting with people, learning new things from them, entertaining them, etc. I do not network as a means to try and aggrandize my social position in a hierarchy of some kind. That to me is the primary motive of someone who is "so" dominant. There is an alterior motive to their socialization, not just doing for the joy of being social.

BlackCat has some great Enneagram reference threads that might better clarify my bastardized summary of these concepts. But hopefully, they were of some utility, as they are examples of my implementation of my Enneagram stats. :newwink:

Jaguar

I socialize for the love of interacting with people, learning new things from them, entertaining them, etc. I do not network as a means to try and aggrandize my social position in a hierarchy of some kind. That to me is the primary motive of someone who is "so" dominant. There is an alterior motive to their socialization, not just doing for the joy of being social.

I know that type of person, Alex.
It always pisses me off when I'm at charity events and some asshole will be "working the room,"
rather than be there for the reason the rest of us are - to support the cause.
I'm SX/SO, too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It always pisses me off when I'm at charity events and some asshole will be "working the room,"
I'm SX/SO, too.

Hey Jag,

Those types NAUSEATE me. :sick:

It never ceases to amaze me how prevalent they are. :thumbdown:

If you just pay attention to any crowd of people, those are the types most easily noticed. I can spot people sucking up a mile away. I can detect false enthusiasm and lack of sincerity immediately. Those behaviors are implemented very consistently, in my experience.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'm SX/SO, too.
Hey, hey, I'm an SX/SO, and I'm fully capable of *working the room,* but that doesn't mean I'm not there for the cause. I'm extremely passionate about the things I believe in, but dinners and whatnot are monetarily and socially based...just being there and bringing your passion and enthusiasm is the foundation. Interaction after that is purely preference.

OP,
The easiest way for me to distinguish is by looking at what area is mostly likely to be neglected in your quest for your dominant instinct. That's just an easier way to look at myself.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, hey, I'm an SX/SO, and I'm fully capable of *working the room,* but that doesn't mean I'm not there for the cause.

I understand that, as I am fully capable of "working the room" too, but choose not to do so. I am a man of action, I let my deeds speak for me. I have never been one to talk my way into social graces, it's just not my style, but if it works for you that's fine, I'm not hatin'. :)

I'm extremely passionate about the things I believe in, but dinners and whatnot are monetarily and socially based...just being there and bringing your passion and enthusiasm is the foundation.

True, but I implement my bedazzling charm and personality for the benefit of the event, and not for my own self-aggrandizement. I am a mover and a shaker by nature, I am always that way, and if I choose to use my powers as such for purposes of a charitable event or function of a similar kind, it is about the cause, and not me. :yes:

Interaction after that is purely preference.

All interaction is preference, isn't it?
It's the motive behind it that really defines it, right? :thinking:

Jaguar

Hey, hey, I'm an SX/SO, and I'm fully capable of *working the room,* but that doesn't mean I'm not there for the cause.

I think you and I have different definitions of, "working a room."
The whole point of attending a benefit is to raise money for the cause.
That cause is not designed to fatten your own wallet.

Now if your idea of "working a room," is purely social in context with no intent to benefit financially, then I don't really care.
I've seen enough, "Daaaaaaaahling how aaaaaaah you's" to last me a lifetime.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now if your idea of "working a room," is purely social in context with no intent to benefit financially, then I don't really care.

This is what I was trying to say. :doh:

Exactly. It's just so much easier to grab people randomly and start ballroom dancing with them while tqalking instead of gratuitous verbal jib-jab. :moonwalk:

ALSO:

Social Variant
"People of the social variant prefer to be in groups or teams. They are more interested than the other subtypes in the position that they and others have in a group, and are consequently concerned with status. Wanting to be accepted, they try to fit in and be nice."

Ummm...that's definitely not me. :cheese:

Jaguar

Exactly. It's just so much easier to grab people randomly and start ballroom dancing with them while tqalking instead of gratuitous verbal jib-jab.

I'll leave the ballroom dancing to you.
Might those balls be gerbil balls? :D

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
All interaction is preference, isn't it?
It's the motive behind it that really defines it, right? :thinking:

Of course!
Let me rephrase that.
I don't particularly care what your motive is, as long as the higher purpose is being served. Obviously I wouldn't want to work with someone who has unrelated, personal motives that would be detrimental to the cause, but when it comes to events, I couldn't care less. If you want to come because the menu sounds good, fine. If you want to come because you really want that trip to Jamaica they're auctioning off, fine. If you're there because you like to salsa, fine. If you're there to alleviate some guilt from you childhood, go ahead. If you're there some empathetic energy that needs to be relieved, whatever. And if you're there to meet someone who could expand your business, have at it! The point is to raise money, and as long as your activities don't hinder that...we're good.
All that probably stems from the fact that I don't believe in truly selfless acts for the most part - I just see that society favors certain motives behind the acts as more honorable, or some are more subtle and, therefore, attract less attention.

But, I do see where intentions can make the difference. Some people work tirelessly for the greater good - including themselves, and others work tirelessly for their own good and when others benefit, it's purely a coincidence.
I'm sort of a vessel for enthusiasm in social situations I care about. I pick up excitement and ideas and passion from people and bond with them over it, and then I have the insatiable need to spread it to others and just, I don't know, enthuse with others. :cheese: And I think some people may view that as somewhat shallow behavior from a distance, but that's just how I operate. And I probably wouldn't hesitate to get the phone number of someone I met that could possibly benefit me outside of my social world, but I can't imagine going anywhere un-business-related solely for that reason. That just goes against who I am.

What a random topic.

I love me some movers and shakers, by the way! They get me moving and shaking instantaneously!

I think you and I have different definitions of, "working a room."
The whole point of attending a benefit is to raise money for the cause.
That cause is not designed to fatten your own wallet.

Alright, we're cool then. :D

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey SpeedGavroche! :happy:

I am 7w8 sx/so.
I knew, I was expecting for an answer from you.:)

I have no need for self preservation, it is what I do best by nature.
Ah that's an intersting point. I also think that I have no need for self-preservation because I never had any real problem in that area. I was born in a low-middle class family where there was never problem to have the self-pres need content. But not enough rich to adhere to some normative behaviour link with financial health like have fashionable clothes allowing to distinctions in the group. And I have been a little frustated of that. Next, just before I integrate the middle school, my parents have decided to move in another city, just to live in a bigger house, separating me from my closest friend, and I've arrived in a middle school where I did'nt know any people. I think that have profoundly hurt my social intinct, and generate a total disinterest and even a clear rejection of self-preservational stuff. But if I was worried about the social stuff, it was submit to my sexual instinct, actualy, I missed for my intimate friends and romantic interests, and I believed they were irreplacable, so I was'n interested at all by the others child, and I've passed the entire first year of middle school without create any real link with them. But I was'nt happy at all about that situation, actualy, I was extremely unhappy, and I've decided to leave out my shell.

So, I've reflect very much about this for the last few days, consulting many sources, and I think that my main preoccupaton is sexual, that means a intense need for intense intimate and productive relationships. I think the problematic with instincts is that they are animals, but we are not animals, were are human being who need to deviate our instinctive impulses to other areas wich are typically human stuff. So, sexual intincts means more generaly an intense desire to "penetrate" the world to product somethin greater, wich means to impact it and have sexual connection with the world, "sexual" being related to "pleasure", and challenge it. The sexual instinct can be expressed in analyse, because analyse is a sort of penetration. Sx peoples can be very good scientists (By the way, I tell about the masculine sexual instinct, the sexual instinct can express diferently with woman).

Although I am no expert, I can tell you that for me, my primary modus operandi with regard to anything I do is to enjoy it. Whether work or play, I'm going to have a good time. That spills out into my drive for socialization.

I think Sx/Sps have stronger need to express their sexual instincts toward material gain or something. And they are more fearful for physical pain. I don't care about material gain for himself. I'm fearless about physical pain except that I've been aquaphobic between 8 years old and 10 because I almost drown at 8. I was reckless while I did'nt know to swim. But my father and his friends rescued me. But during the 2 next years, I've progressively learned to swim and easily overcome my fear. First because I was attracted by risky activities that we need to know how to swim to do it. Second because my social envionment, family or friends, encouraged me to overcome my weakness and if I was afraid to drown, I was even more to be considerate as a coward in the group.:doh: Elsewhere, I enjoy comfort very much, and naturally take it where is it, but I don't feel hurt when my comfort is compromise, I don't care. When I'm in enjoying activities with people, there's always some who'are grimping about lack of comfort or something. This is boring and I laugh at them or even frequently insult them, saying they're weakling.

I enjoy social situations when there's something special with peoples I interact with. I manifest extrovert behaviour when I feel i can impact the group it's why many people have find me very charismatic, extrovert and prone to leaderships. Some other have find me very self-effacing and reserved. They are the ones who've seen me in situations wich bored me. I tend to be more at ease with one to one relationships, but not always. It's a delightful sensation to feel I merge with a group of fun persons. I am fearless about physical pain, but fearful about social rejection and even more about intimate rejection. I think that the 2 most basic fear for men are brawl and girls. I have never been afraid for brawl, I actually love it, but girls scared me very much, and they still a little to do. I've overcome that fear because I need to, but it vas hard. I am balanced between a need for for intense union and an idealism wich make me more reserved because I fear to be disapointed. I find this very 4-ish. I have a need to agrandize my social position first because I think that can enlarge my sexual options.

I feel all that mor as sx/so but I may be wrong though.

BlackCat has some great Enneagram reference threads that might better clarify my bastardized summary of these concepts. But hopefully, they were of some utility, as they are examples of my implementation of my Enneagram stats. :newwink:

Yes, I've consult them.;)
sx/sp
They may isolate themselves for long periods of time before reemerging. They live according to a strictly personal outlook
I'm like that, but it's more because I'm an introvert, I think.

May be prone to self-medicating.
That's me.

sx/so
This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy.
That's me when I'm interested about what I do. As a sx-dom, I am above all intimate, and don't always merge directly with the larger group. I am often observant first. Then, my behaviour moves frome one another extreme to another. Peoples oftend say about me "one hour ago, we did'nt heard him at all, now, he's the one we heard the most and is the most crasy". I like the most to be in extremes, extreme introversion or extreme extroversion, mid behaviour bore.

They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change.
Yes, except for boring or uncool things, of course:yes:

Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form.
Oh, yeah.:cool:

Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries.
Totaly

They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression.
Yes.

It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction.
I'm involved in political, creative and spiritual cause from my childhood!

May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it.
It may be what I spend the most time to think about.

While prone to exhibitionism,
Peoples have sayed that about me.

they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability.
:yes:

Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.
Yes, that's a real dilemma sometimes.

Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.
Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionish
YES!

Examples of sx/so: Madonna, John Lennon, Yukio Mishima, Robin Williams, Drew Barrymore, Richard Simmons, Elvis, Bono, George Michael, Sinead O'Connor, Joan of Arc.

Madonna=3w4 sx/so John Lennon= 9w1 sx/so Elvis= 9w8 sx/so Joan of Arc= 6w7 sx/so, I can see that.

Eye 'n' Teepee

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Madonna=3w4 sx/so John Lennon= 9w1 sx/so Elvis= 9w8 sx/so Joan of Arc= 6w7 sx/so, I can see that.

Lennon is usually listed as 5w4, which seems pretty right to me.

"I don't really five a damn...It's selfish but I don't care too much about humanity - I'm an escapist. Everyone's always drumming on about the future, but I'm not letting it interfere with my laughs." Seems like a fairly 5-ish thing to say.

9's are described as being "loving, supportive, and gentle". John Lennon, gentle? Oh **** no! :p

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

"I don't really five a damn...It's selfish but I don't care too much about humanity - I'm an escapist. Everyone's always drumming on about the future, but I'm not letting it interfere with my laughs." Seems like a fairly 5-ish thing to say.

9's are described as being "loving, supportive, and gentle". John Lennon, gentle? Oh **** no! :p

Introverted thinker 9 are less harsh than 5, and they can be mistyped as 5 lighted by the 4 wing, but they are not really "loving supportive and gentle". John Lennon was not a bad boy but a sort hippye by the way.

G

Ginkgo

I agree with [MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION] about sx. I think it tends to compel people to "break the ice" of reality with intensity and focus. The difference between sxsp and sxso is that sxso seems much more willing to embody an idea (usually, an idea analyzed as a result of sx) for all to see, while sxsp seems to be more reclusive and apply their insights to their personal lives or a select few. I know 4 people who are primarily or secondarily social and they all seem to naturally gravitate toward people and take advantage of resources in the aftermath if necessary. Mostly, they legitimately enjoy meeting new faces and the benefits they reap from their new contacts are accompanied by a pretty sound "trade-off" of desirables. If they didn't have anything to offer, they wouldn't participate (though sometimes what they offer appears to just amount to social niceties).The so instinct frequently provides the same function as sp, but in a way that is not independent of others. While they may function in a way that is more dependent on other folks, their inclination to embrace new social nets makes it easier to sever old ties, start fresh, and venture for new opportunities. I think sxsp would be more inclined to preserve deep relationships that have already been solidified for the sake of preserving stability, while being more discriminate of the new faces they might let into their personal space or brain space. sxso also seems to be a bit more decadent in character because it lacks the inhibitions of careful conservation of resources usually found in sp. sxso seems more willing to spread itself thin, making different logistical decisions than the sxsp, but with the same intensity of thought found in sxsp.

I think both are geared toward a vagabond-like attitude, but sxso seems accelerated in that aspect. so seems to heavily overlap with preferences for extroversion, while sx would apply to either I or E with relative ease.

spiderfrommars

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That quote actually sounded totally 9 to me. Not letting the future interfere with the good times of the present, being an escapist, being ultimately selfish or at least self-identifying that way…all of that sounds like 9, who just want to detach but also enjoy the moment. 5w4 would be detached and could be very selfish (anyone could, of course), but rather being an "escapist", they'd be more likely to obsess over the grotesque. Also, the head triad is said to be focused on the future, and the gut on the present. If any head type said that quote, it'd probably be a 7.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Wow. I'm surprised to see that Speed was somewhat humble ages ago. :laugh:

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This article has helped me a lot with my stackings Enneagram Subtypes see if it works for you too.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the second instinct area is what you create around yourself

to distinguish between sp and so, where do you draw your inspiration? through your social group or through physical involvement?

Bumblyjack

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5356]Speed Gavroche[/MENTION]

Sx/So vs. Sx/Sp (to the death? :shock:)...

Note: These are relative comparisons and they are exaggerated for comparative clarity.

1. Freedom
Sx/Sp's believe in freedom. And they don't just believe in it as an abstract concept, but in reality. They don't want to be held down, confined, restricted, or contained. But then there's the problem of their siren, their drug, their love...an Sx/Sp would sell their soul to merge with their object of desire (be it a person, idea, or whatever). They will tirelessly fight off all other chains placed on them, but they will willingly don the handcuffs binding them to their love. The Sx/Sp ideal is to run away with their love and leave all the world behind.

Sx/So's will not do this. Freedom is too precious to surrender, even to the object of their deepest affection. The Sx/So ideal is not to run away but to stand and fight, tearing down the walls and breaking all chains. Their siren, their drug, their love...this is the greatest chain of them all. They have a strong desire to merge and yet are compelled to at least put up a token resistance.

2. Means to an End
The Sx/Sp places their hopes for fulfillment of their primary instinct (and ultimately, their survival) in their personal qualities and attributes: attractiveness, charisma, skills, abilities, success, wealth, status, etc. When things don't work out, this can leave an Sx/Sp feeling self-conscious. This gives Sx/Sp's an aire of self absorption and, in some cases, fatalism.

The Sx/So places these hopes in their cunning, cleverness, and ability to make the right choices and decisions. When things don't work out, an Sx/So may wonder what they could have done differently to have more success. This makes Sx/So's come off as enterprising masters of their own destiny.

Let's take seduction as an example: an Sx/Sp focuses on seeming desirable and attractive, an Sx/So focuses on saying the right things and acting the right way.

3. Romantic Relationships
Both Sexual types exhibit a push-and-pull dynamic. The Sx/Sp's version of this is the classic iteration: intense, passionate desire suddenly becomes too intense and Sx/Sp pulls away to protect themselves, only to have the desire return again.

The Sx/So push-and-pull is an internal one: drawn in with some hesitation, drawn closer, maybe pull back a little, still drawn in. It doesn't look as extreme as the Sx/Sp dynamic because the Sx/So doesn't completely surrender to their desire.

As a result, an Sx/Sp is going to be more all-or-none in relationships, either on out on the sand or drowning in the depths...possibly bouncing back-and-forth between the two with the tides. An Sx/So will be more balanced and stable in their relationships, preferring to wade in the shallows.

Additionally, an Sx/So has a much greater problem with partners that seem clingy or smothering. This is encroaches too greatly on their freedom. An Sx/Sp won't have a problem with this in itself (and may even like it); their greater concern is the desirability of their partner. Extreme closeness with a confident and secure partner is Sx/Sp heaven, with an insecure partner it's hell.