• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Descriptions of the Enneagram Instinctual Variants

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm.. Thinking now I'm more of an 5w4 sx rather than sx/sp, by this definition. (The sp tendencies as far as I express tend to be more residual of the Five in general, rather than needing to be distinguished additionally by the sp marker.)

Especially as I've aged, I've moved out of sx/sp toward a more pure sx functional mindset. The first two paragraphs in that description fit me very well. Basically, the type is in extreme tension (much as is sx/sp, but I think 5w4 sx/sp is overbalanced as described to the detached end of things).

sx/sp mentions about having little regard for other's opinions and labels it as an "so" concern. While "so" is concerned about it, "so" also tends to be broad and shallow in the connection -- it's a social network, not necessarily an intimate network. I do care what others think relationally, but my goal is far more sx when I connect with people; the Five leads to an awareness and detachment, a resolution that others need their space and only enter intimacy out of their own choice, but the sx aspect ... which it can endure a relationship with boundaries... seems to always be disappointed when those boundaries are drawn and no more depth can ever be expected.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why does everyone cap himself as sx/sp? I see this a lot especially on the Internet. Despite the special circumstances regarding the mindset of those who frequent online communities, I think there should be more people who bear the social instinct in their stacking.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
SP description might as well be for an alien. do not relate. It focuses way too much on physical aspects of self-preservation. These are practical concerns but they do not loom as large as presented here.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SP description might as well be for an alien. do not relate. It focuses way too much on physical aspects of self-preservation. These are practical concerns but they do not loom as large as presented here.

Agreed. These are pretty terrible, lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does everyone cap himself as sx/sp? I see this a lot especially on the Internet. Despite the special circumstances regarding the mindset of those who frequent online communities, I think there should be more people who bear the social instinct in their stacking.

well, a few thoughts:

1. It's the internetz. You're gonna find a lot of SP style people here (because it's a very "boundaried" medium, you can totally control the communication and lock people out and even hide your identity), and you're gonna find SX people here, since they can go deep in writing but not have any of the other obligations of relationships. SO people will probably just be using the net to network, and they might build some net community if they can't get out of the house, but they're the variant most likely to be out in the real world connecting with people.
  2. I think SO comes across as the least glamorous. It's probably the least extreme. I do think it's also routinely devalued as "shallow," which isn't the case at all.
  3. I don't think a lot of SX people are SX.
  4. There's also the possibility the tests and/or the variant theory itself is skewed or missing an element, etc.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm so SP it's not even funny.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm.. Thinking now I'm more of an 5w4 sx rather than sx/sp, by this definition. (The sp tendencies as far as I express tend to be more residual of the Five in general, rather than needing to be distinguished additionally by the sp marker.)

Especially as I've aged, I've moved out of sx/sp toward a more pure sx functional mindset. The first two paragraphs in that description fit me very well. Basically, the type is in extreme tension (much as is sx/sp, but I think 5w4 sx/sp is overbalanced as described to the detached end of things).

sx/sp mentions about having little regard for other's opinions and labels it as an "so" concern. While "so" is concerned about it, "so" also tends to be broad and shallow in the connection -- it's a social network, not necessarily an intimate network. I do care what others think relationally, but my goal is far more sx when I connect with people; the Five leads to an awareness and detachment, a resolution that others need their space and only enter intimacy out of their own choice, but the sx aspect ... which it can endure a relationship with boundaries... seems to always be disappointed when those boundaries are drawn and no more depth can ever be expected.

I like this. I agree with all of it.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From these descriptions, I'm pretty sure I'm sp/sx. That really seems to fit.

Where it gets more complicated is looking at the variants/stackings for each individual e-type. That's just kind of confused me...partly because I'm still not sure if I'm 6, or 9...and aspects of sp/sx seem to fit me for both, and others really not. I tend to score high on 4 as well, but that just doesn't fit (at first I thought it should, probably because I'm INFJ...but it doesn't.)

I commented in another thread that I find it "suspicious" that so many Type C members classify themselves as SX-dom. I also find it "suspicious" that virtually everyone places SO last among the variants - let alone having it as their dominant variant. But hey, I guess I've put myself in that category too. ;) And perhaps it does make sense that SO-doms would be more out in "the real world" than on a forum such as this...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am self preservation as hell. lol. I'm constantly noticing how comfortable a chair is, how good the a cup of tea tastes, or how uncomfortble my dorm is. when I'm in a dangerous situation, my first instinct is "hmm, how do I not die in this situation?" (I had an SO/SX ESFP friend growing up who didn't care at all about his own safety. he would jump off stuff and almost kill himself and not even seem to care or learn from his mistakes).
On that note, knowing this helps me make more sense of my entrepreneural tendencies. SP doms are like..."um this isn't good enough, I'm gonna go get something better" when you take this combined with being 4w3 and your our refined tastes for everything, you pretty much have to be an entrepreneur or a singer if you're SP/SX 4w3 (and I'm both ^v^ )

R

Riva

Thank you BC.

According to the descriptions I am a Sx/Sp and not a So/Sx or Sx/So as I thought I was.

*Confused and Frustrated*

Urghhhhhhhhh!

And I am beginning to think I am a 7w8 and not an 3w4.

Fuck!!!!

I can't see w6 in me at all. So W6 is a no no.

Fuck enneagrams and instinctual variants. Until I find my type that is :ninja:.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm inclined to think that these are pretty sub par descriptions nowadays, these were the ones that skewed me into thinking I may be sx/so. One of these days I will most likely post another thread regarding the instincts with different, more accurate descriptions than these.

That Self pres description does seem pretty whack though, for real.

R

Riva

^

Are there better descriptions out there online? Could you post some links please?

Chesire Tower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I am SX/SP but I also relate to SP/SX but I think I'm way to restless to be an SP/SX.

Neokortex

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I am SX/SP but I also relate to SP/SX but I think I'm way to restless to be an SP/SX.

A lot of So/Sxs types themselves as Sx/Sps. When you have made such a big display of a siggy that is likely targeted to the members as a social way of capturing attention (personality marketing), you're likely a social subtype.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Instinctual Stacking Descriptions are here.

The Self-Preservation Variant

Most people can easily identify this Instinctual Variant. Self Preservation types are preoccupied with getting and maintaining physical safety and comfort, which often translates into concerns about food, clothing, money, housing, and physical healthy, These issues are their main priority, and in pursuing them, other areas of their lives may suffer.

For example, we might identify this Instinctual Variant in ourselves or others by observing what a person would first notice on entering a room. Self Preservation types tend to focus on the comfort of the environment. Does the environment support their sense of well being? They are quick to notice and respond to poor lighting, or uncomfortable chairs, or to be dissatisfied with the room temperature, and they are constantly adjusting these things. They may wonder when their next meal or coffee break will come, worry if there will be enough food, or if it will be the kind they like, or if it will meet their dietary requirements.

When this instinct is functioning harmoniously with the personality type, these people can be earthy and practical. They apply their energies to taking care of basic life necessities- creating a secure environment, shopping, maintaining the home and workplace, paying bills, and acquiring useful skills so that the orderly flow of life will not be interrupted. When the personality becomes unhealthy, however, it distorts the instinct, causing these people to take poor care of themselves, possibly developing eating and sleeping disorders. They may stock up on too many things, overbuy, overeat, and overpurge themselves of unnecessary "baggage" of all sorts.

Less healthy Self Preservation types let themselves go physically, or they become obsessive about health and food matters, or both. Further, their normal practicality and financial sense may become distorted, resulting in problems with money and organizing their affairs. If the Self Preservation instinct becomes completely overwhelmed by personality issues, individuals may engage in deliberately self-destructive behavior, in which the instinct has the effect of turning against itself.

When the other two instincts dominate in an individual and the Self Preservation instinct is the least developed, attending to the basics of life does not come naturally. It will not always occur to such individuals that they need to eat or sleep properly. Environmental factors will be relatively insignificant, and they will tend to lack the drive to accumulate wealth or property, or to even care about such matters. Time and resource management will typically be neglected, often with seriously detrimental effects on their own careers, social life, and material well being.

The Social Variant

Most of us are aware that we have a social component, but we tend to see it as our desire to socialize, to attend parties, meetings, belong to groups, and so fourth. The Social instinct, however, is actually something much more fundamental. It is a powerful desire, found in all human beings, to be ilked, approved of, and to feel safe with others. On our own, we are rather weak and vulnerable and can easily fall prey to a hostile environment. We lack the claws, fangs, and fur of other animals, and if we did not band together and cooperate with each other, it is unlikely that our species, or we as individuals, would be able to survive. Being able to adjust ourselves to others and be acceptable is a fundamental, survival based human instinct.

People who have a dominant Social instinct are preoccupied with being accepted and necessary in their world. They are concerned with maintaining the sense of value they get from participating in activities with others, be they family, group, community, national, or global activities. Social types liike to feel involved, and they enjoy interacting with others for common purposes.

On entering a room, Social types would be immediately aware of the power structures and subtle "politics" between the different people and groups. They are subconsciously focused on others' reactions to them- particularly on whether they are being accepted or not. They are attuned to the notion of "place" within a hierarchical social structure, in regard both to themselves and to others. This can manifest in many ways, such as the pursuit of attention, success, fame, recognition, honor, leadership, and appreciation, as well as the security of being part of something larger than themselves. Of all the instinctual variants, Social types like to know what is going on in their world; they need to "touch base" with others to feel safe, alive, and energized. This can range from an interest in office politics or neighborhood gossip to world news and international diplomacy. We could say that the Social instinct is a kind of contextual intelligence: it gives us the ability to see our efforts and their effects in a broader context.

In general, social types enjoy interacting with people, although ironically, they tend to avoid intimacy. As with all of the instincts, if the person becomes unhealthy, the instinct manifests as its opposite. Unhealthy Social types can become extremely antisocial, detesting people and resenting society, and as a result, they may have poorly developed social skills. They fear and distrust others and cannot get along with people, while at the same time they are unable to disengage from their social connections. In brief, Social types focus on interacting with people in ways that will build their personal value, their sense of accomplishment, and their security of place with others.

When the other two instincts dominate in an individual and the Social instinct is least developed, attending to social endeavors and commitments does not come naturally. Such individuals have difficulty seeing the point of creating and sustaining social connections, often disregarding the impact of the opinions of others. Their sense of involvement with their community, at any scale, may be minimal. They often have little connection with people, feeling that they do not need others and that others do not need them. Thus, there may be frequent misunderstandings with allies and supporters as well as friends and family members.

The Sexual Variant

Many people initially want to identify themselves as this Variant, perhaps because they believe that this would mean that they are sexy or because they enjoy sex. Of course, sexiness is highly subjective, and there are "sexy" people in all three of the instinctual variants. If we wish to be one Variant rather than another, it is good to remember that the personality tends to interfere with and distort the dominant instinct. Thus, people of the Sexual Variant tend to have recurrent problems in the areas of intimate relationships. As with the other Variants, we need to see the way that the instinct plays out more broadly.

In the Sexual types, there is a constant search for connection and an attraction to intense experiences- not only sexual experiences but any situation that promises a similar charge. In all things, Sexual types seek intense contact. They may find intensity in a ski jump, a deep conversation, or an exciting movie. They tend to follow their attractions. (By contrast, Social types notice who is talking with the host, who has power, prestige, or who might be able to help them. Self Preservation types will note the temperature of the room, where the refreshments are, and what might be a comfortable place to sit.) Sexual types gravitate toward people they feel magnetized by, regardless of the person's potential for helping them or their social standing. It is as if they were asking, "Where is the juice in this room? Whose energy is the most intense?"

Sexual types tend to have difficulty pursuing their own projects or taking adequate care of themselves, because on a subconscious level, they are always looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them. They are like a plug looking for a socket and can become obsessed with another if they feel they have the right person for them. They may neglect important obligations, or even their own basic necessities, if they are swept up in someone or something that has captivated them.

When they are unhealthy, Sexual types can experience a scattering of their attention and a profound lack of focus. They may act out in sexual promiscuity or become trapped in a fearful, dysfunctions attitude toward sex and intimacy. When the latter becomes their orientation, they will be equally intense about their avoidances.

When the other two instincts dominate in an individual and the Sexual instinct is least developed, attending to matters of intimacy and stimulation- mental or emotional- does not come naturally. They know what they like, but often find it difficult to get deeply excited or enthusiastic about anything. Such individuals also tend to have difficulty being intimate with others and may even avoid it altogether. They also tend to fall into routines, feeling uncomfortable if there is too much that is unfamiliar in their lives. They may feel social involved with people but strangely disconnected even from spouses, friends, and family members.

----------

Source- The Wisdom of the Enneagram, by Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson.

There isn't much out there on the Variants, so I figured I'd post this. I consider the Variants to be important. I'm personally a Sexual first and a Social second.

I'm either Sp/sx or Sp/so. My experience as an ENFP 6w7 Sp-dom is that I want to experience everything the world has to offer, and to help others to bring about the utopia I want the world to become, but I'm constantly worrying about having enough resources to do so, and having enough of a rainy day fund to fall back on if I fail. I have ADHD and have difficulties with practical matters, but it is still definately my primary focus.

My mother is definately ESTJ, but I'm unsure if she is a Sx/Sp 1w2 or an Sp/Sx 3w4.

veronicagrant

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a sx/sp 3 and i feel deeply related to the part where it says Sexual types tend to have difficulty pursuing their own projects or taking adequate care of themselves, because on a subconscious level, they are always looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them.
A lot of times i get so focused on flirting or dating, that the rest of my life seems meaningless. I forget what i really want for myself and feel incomplete when i'm lonely. Pretty annoying.