User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Hiking

Get lost for a week or two in the wilderness without any food. With only worms, bugs, and unfamiliar, potentially poisonous plants to eat, it's easy to drop pounds. I drop at least 3-5 pounds just by spending a day hiking, and that's while munching on store-bought food, and eating a good breakfast and dinner at home.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Get lost for a week or two in the wilderness without any food. With only worms, bugs, and unfamiliar, potentially poisonous plants to eat, it's easy to drop pounds. I drop at least 3-5 pounds just by spending a day hiking, and that's while munching on store-bought food, and eating a good breakfast and dinner at home.
    Don't you think that's mostly water loss? I don't think you're losing 3-5 pounds of fat in a day of hiking. However, it is good exercise and soul-enriching and all that. I hiking.

Also, Wolf says he's not doing this blog because he wants to lose weight.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Don't you think that's mostly water loss? I don't think you're losing 3-5 pounds of fat in a day of hiking. However, it is good exercise and soul-enriching and all that. I hiking.
    I stay well hydrated. (It's no fun getting a bad headache due to mild dehydration.) I weigh myself 1-2 days after the hike. Some of the loss I attribute to increased metabolism which I attribute partially to slightly increased leg muscle mass. I'm usually pushing pretty hard in hilly terrain averaging about a 20-25 minute mile, including short breaks and getting stuck on a narrow trail behind slow pokes who fall down in vicarious exhaustion when I tell them how far I've already hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Also, Wolf says he's not doing this blog because he wants to lose weight.
    I didn't actually read the first few pages yet. Details, details.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think I could keep up with you!

(Posts above split out of Wolf's Diet Blog.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Get lost for a week or two in the wilderness without any food. With only worms, bugs, and unfamiliar, potentially poisonous plants to eat, it's easy to drop pounds.
    Now you sound like a stand-in for "Man Vs. Wild"!

Hiking is great. I set a mean pace too -- I rarely stop in mid-climb, and I like to scale ridges. I just walk up and up and quickly fall into a groove (although it takes a minute or two for my breathing to stabilize), so it's very good exercise that way... plus the views are gorgeous, depending.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I love hiking, too. Preferably up steep inclines over large rocks and roots.

I haven't been climbing the last two summers, but this year I am. When I met my spouse, we climbed nearly every weekend for 6 months. I lost almost 50 pounds and was in fantastic shape.

Whenever we do through hikes I lose my appetite. Spike in cortisol, I guess. Wo cares. Aside from having to put on yesterday's wet clothes the next morning and fighting off mosquitoes, deep in the woods is my favorite place to be.
    "My good opinion once lost is lost forever." -- Darcy

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

No one loses 3-5 pounds in a single day just by hiking. You would be jeopardizing your health doing that in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No one loses 3-5 pounds in a single day just by hiking. You would be jeopardizing your health doing that in a week.
    It's not actually possible I don't think. Well not to lose that much fat. You body can start to break down muscle if it needs more energy quickly but yeah, it's not healthy. Your body can only convert fat to energy so fast and it will start on the muscle as well if required

I find hiking across rugged terrain quite relaxing because you have to be in the moment. You're concerntrating on wher eyou're puttin gyour feet and climbing through and over stuff, it's great.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Ah..I love hiking. B.C.'s pine forests are perfect for it. I've never hiked alone before, though. Nature's beauty is often amplified when one is alone. I can also imagine it must be very refreshing to be able to think without interruptions when you're alone deep in a forest.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Nature's beauty is often amplified when one is alone. I can also imagine it must be very refreshing to be able to think without interruptions when you're alone deep in a forest.
    What she said.