User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Exclamation Mouses in Your Houses

What are the best traps/methods of getting rid of mice or for preventing them from entering a home in the first place? I live on the second floor of a really old home, and there are no other people currently living in the building.

My cats are friggin' useless. Even after carrying my large male in from another room and showing him the mouse, he turned around and went back to his food. My little girl cat got scared and ran away, only to return and have the mouse literally walk between her paws and do nothing. At one point, she had the mouse in her mouth, but then she let it go.

Thankfully, it got caught between the pages of a book and Haight beat it to death with a broom. My cats are clueless, and they are still searching around the house for it.

Anyway, I need some tricks because right now I'm paranoid, and I keep thinking that I am seeing mice run across the floor.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    What are the best traps/methods of getting rid of mice or for preventing them from entering a home in the first place? I live on the second floor of a really old home, and there are no other people currently living in the building.
    I don't have anything fancy to suggest.

We always used the cheap little mousetraps, baited with chunky peanut butter or cheese smooshed into the trigger.
    Yes, it kills the mouse, and you have to dispose of the body, but it's highly effective.

And you don't have to mount a full-scale "Release the Mouse Back into the Wild" baiting and tagging them so you can recognize when the same mice come back and back again because you didn't finish them off the first time.

My cats are friggin' useless. Even after carrying my large male in from another room and showing him the mouse, he turned around and went back to his food. My little girl cat got scared and ran away, only to return and have the mouse literally walk between her paws and do nothing. At one point, she had the mouse in her mouth, but then she let it go.
    It sounds like they were never trained by momma or dadda cat.

We had outdoor cats and they would eat the mice that they'd find... but they'd play with it first. As long as the mouse didn't move it was okay, but as soon as it started to run, the cat would play with it, batting it around the porch, grabbing its tail and holding it in place, etc. It was sort of amusing to watch... since I'm not a mouse.

In any case, I think domesticated cats that were not reared by parent cats have a harder time figuring out what to do with the goofy things.

Thankfully, it got caught between the pages of a book and Haight beat it to death with a broom.
    Wow, is that how Jewish families train their kids to get rid of mice?

Get the traps, they're cheap and less violent overall than the "broom-beating" method that also leaves a nasty little smear on your poor books. just brainstorming, but i don't recommend poison because (among other reasons) they could die inside the walls and then you've got a smell problem.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Stop feeding your cats, or feed them very, very little. They'll learn to hunt right quick, and then you'll no longer have any mice.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default MURDERING WENCHES!

You can buy an ultrasonic device which should send them on their merry way.
    I have one in the loft. The mice moved out, the bats moved in - whatchagonnado?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

My suggestion takes care of bats too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You can buy an ultrasonic device which should send them on their merry way.
    I have one in the loft. The mice moved out, the bats moved in - whatchagonnado?
    [glowering] "I'm Batmouse: Tell all your friends!" *flaps away*

It's true, though. Bats are just ugly mice with cheap halloween rubber wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    My suggestion takes care of bats too.
    aw, I'd love to see those cats bring down a bat. That would take some strategery!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post

Thankfully, it got caught between the pages of a book and Haight beat it to death with a broom. My cats are clueless, and they are still searching around the house for it.

Anyway, I need some tricks because right now I'm paranoid, and I keep thinking that I am seeing mice run across the floor.
    Seriously?! My cat is a great mouser.
    We get one or two every winter and she catches them.

We have also used those standard little wooden mousetraps successfully
    down in the basement where the cat doesn't go.
    The mice love un-popped popcorn kernels.
    Good luck.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Stop feeding your cats, or feed them very, very little. They'll learn to hunt right quick, and then you'll no longer have any mice.
    Clever fellow.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

mousetraps. We had some in our garage and the traps worked very well. Do you know where the entrance for them is? Probably a good idea to find it and block it. Surprised the cats aren't chasing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It sounds like they were never trained by momma or dadda cat.

In any case, I think domesticated cats that were not reared by parent cats have a harder time figuring out what to do with the goofy things.
    It's instinct and likely that her cats are well fed and lazy. If you don't need the food why bother getting up?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

NEVER using heat in the winter has done it for me. As long as your neighbors' apartments are warm, the mouse will always prefer it. As for keeping you warm, invest in a down comforter and cashmere sweater. It'll be worth the investment in energy savings . Oh yeah, and this won't work for a house because the mouse's options are limited.

...I hope this doesn't sound as absurd as I think it does.